Where Is The Village 3Rd Rd?

thaimate

"The Village" is as said,on 3rd Road on the left hand side going from Pattaya Klang towards Pattaya Tai.It's quite a long way past "Exzyte" disco,past the Buffalo Bar,and just past the fire station.There's a sign on 3rd Road,you turn left into the village,and the Village Chippie and Village Chinky are on the right hand side,about 50m in to the village,just past the bar on the right hand side.I've eaten in both,and the food is really very good.I don't see why anyone should get into trouble by referring to the name,it's what it's called,after all

I must say the Chippie has sometimes been good for me (a little inconsistent) but the other one with the food from that big country in Asia done British style (which is very similar to American style) SERIOUSLY disappointed. I feel they probably ended up not hiring a chef that can really pull that concept off. While the food isn't exactly horrible, the value for money offer there is poor.

Edited by Jingthing

Opposite the Fire Station is actually a good set of directions for someone who knows the location of the fire station. I never knew there was a fire station on 3rd Road and in fact I think the back of the fire station is what faces 3rd Road.

If you are on 3rd Road and going towards Jomtiem you will pass Excyte, pass the Buffalo bar and then start looking to the left. After about 400 meters or so you should see a sign.

I found this place by accident, as the sign (when I last went there) was not that big. If you blink you will miss it.

TheWalkingMan

The last time I heard about it, using the real name for the restaurant in question is against forum rules. Don't shoot the messenger.

yes it is so be afraid there are gangs of chinese decended m / bike taxi drivers roaming the streets listening for anyone that says chi*ky out loud. if they catch you they make you go a very short distance for 50 baht

Edited by neilf

The last time I heard about it, using the real name for the restaurant in question is against forum rules. Don't shoot the messenger.

yes it is so be afraid there are gangs of chinese decended m / bike taxi drivers roaming the streets listening for anyone that says chi*ky out loud. if they catch you they make you go a very short distance for 50 baht

i thought everyone went a very short distance for 50 baht........

i thought everyone went a very short distance for 50 baht........

yes but not carrying the bike and the taxi man

I must say the Chippie has sometimes been good for me (a little inconsistent) but the other one with the food from that big country in Asia done British style (which is very similar to American style) SERIOUSLY disappointed. I feel they probably ended up not hiring a chef that can really pull that concept off. While the food isn't exactly horrible, the value for money offer there is poor.

I tend to agree, I hope the owner is on here to read this

I am a regular customer but getting seriously pissed off when I order a meal that should in reality come with rice or chips included, rice and spuds are very cheap here in Thailand and to have to pay extra is not on, you will loose customers over this for the sake of a few baht for rice or a few chips...........think about it

I am a regular customer but getting seriously pissed off when I order a meal that should in reality come with rice or chips included, rice and spuds are very cheap here in Thailand and to have to pay extra is not on, you will loose customers over this for the sake of a few baht for rice or a few chips...........think about it

They are both styled on Brit places and in the UK chips and rice are extras unless mentioned specifically. Check his measures while your at it he might be seeing you off there as well.

Edited by RabC

On the Chinese place I don't mind the prices and I expect to pay for rice unless we are talking a "rice plate" kind of dish but what I do mind is what you actually get, quality/portion/taste-wise/fulfilling the promoted concept, for the price. As Gertrude Stein said, there's no there there. Sorry.

I wouldn't eat there if they halved their prices, but I would be a regular if they had actually fulfilled their presumed concept, at the current prices. It's a shame but that's the dealio. If I were the owner I would just expand the chip shop into the new space. It still beats that other Chow Soy place but that's like saying an actor remembered his lines.

What the food tasted like to me -- like a below average home cook who read a Chinese food cookbook and tried out the recipe in their home kitchen the first time. What it didn't taste like -- real restaurant food.

I know. Ouch. But when I give a rave, I give a rave, and when I pan, I do pan.

Edited by Jingthing

Also a semi-regular to the chippy, better than most out there in my view though the chips seem more ovenbaked than english chippy style like the wedge of lime and tatar (litte more mayo need in the mix ) bar that for 120b for dory and chips represents good value. Sure you could make it at home on the 'cheep' makro frozen pack of dory batter mix bag of spuds (spuds not much cheeper than euro prices in fact) lime mayonnaise

sweet pickle relish onion oil gas wash up after, "Think about it"

They are both styled on Brit places and in the UK chips and rice are extras unless mentioned specifically. Check his measures while your at it he might be seeing you off there as well.

ok to elaborate a little more, if I order a chicken curry or beef and blackbean sauce, in the UK it comes with rice or chips - in the village chippy these are extras and not cheap either, a portion of boiled rice here costs very very little why should I have to order it as an extra at an extreme price, as I said this sort of thing can kill a business here very quickly, I hope the owner reads here and accepts a little feedback

ok to elaborate a little more, if I order a chicken curry or beef and blackbean sauce, in the UK it comes with rice or chips - in the village chippy these are extras and not cheap either, a portion of boiled rice here costs very very little why should I have to order it as an extra at an extreme price, as I said this sort of thing can kill a business here very quickly, I hope the owner reads here and accepts a little feedback

Well all I can say is that I am from the UK and apart from "Chips with curry sauce" or "Special fried rice" I always expect to pay extra for chips or rice, same as in an Indian. Maybe because I am an affluent southerner.

:(

[/quote......I agree ,better round the corner , the jolly friar B) ]

:(

[/quote......I agree ,better round the corner , the jolly friar B) ]

So, are you saying The Jolly Friar does Chinese food?

Well all I can say is that I am from the UK and apart from "Chips with curry sauce" or "Special fried rice" I always expect to pay extra for chips or rice, same as in an Indian. Maybe because I am an affluent southerner.

well not where I come from so we'll agree to differ on that one but my point remains....................60baht for a few chips or 30baht for a small portion of rice is just a little on the high side in my opinion, 2mins walk away I can buy chicken fried rice for 25baht

Thinking about this a little more, I have softened my views on the Chinese joint. The food isn't bad. It doesn't meet hopes and expectations but it's not bad. Maybe PRICE is the issue. For what you get, it totally isn't worth it. For example their Szechuan soup, served in a tiny cup, about 95 baht. That's ridiculous. Try 60 baht. Their standard dishes now 150 baht, try 100 baht. Maybe with realistic pricing they could increase their volume especially with locals in the area (and make money that way). As it is, I just don't see that they have a winner there.

Edited by Jingthing

Thinking about this a little more, I have softened my views on the Chinese joint. The food isn't bad. It doesn't meet hopes and expectations but it's not bad. Maybe PRICE is the issue. For what you get, it totally isn't worth it. For example their Szechuan soup, served in a tiny cup, about 95 baht. That's ridiculous. Try 60 baht. Their standard dishes now 150 baht, try 100 baht. Maybe with realistic pricing they could increase their volume especially with locals in the area (and make money that way). As it is, I just don't see that they have a winner there.

agree 100%, add chips or rice to your meal and you are getting to around 200baht or more, greed destroys potentially good businesses here, I hope the owner doesn't take offence, think of it as customer feedback :)

I havnt tried either place yet (to busy) but i must say as a resident of Pattaya ,unless you are catering for two week millionairs you have to be very carefull on your pricing as we know where to eat and where not to and spend our money wisely unlike someone who is here on holiday and considers things we see as expensive ,as cheap.

you do not have to worry about them coming again ,you do us.

My guess is the owner thought he had pricing power with the food there because nobody else in town is doing British style Chinese food (excepting that really awful place hardly worth mentioning). However, for that to work, in other words, for people to "buy it" the food needs to be quite a bit better than they have managed.