Importing Cars From China

I am looking to import low budget fun cars from China. They are sturdy, economical and look great.

1. Has anyone imported from China and if so - any ideas on Customs, Duties and so on?

2. I can get 4 in a 20' container and these are new - are there holding times in Customs and are there charges for leaving the container on the hard?

3. If the cars are shipped in parts and assembled here - they require some modifications on structure - does this qualify for BOI if I set it up as a distribution here in Thailand and also have manufacture and fabrication of some components made in Thailand

Any clues would be greatly appreciated.

1. Importduty on Chinese made car is 80% on customs valuation. On occasions they accept invoice for cars and transportcosts as products value

2. product remains in container until you have an agreement with customs and have payed duties. Hard storage fees applied.

3. If shipped here as parts, duty is less on parts.

4. Emission tests to be passed

5. Excice tax on all above 30-50%

6. 7% VAT on all above

BOI, very few pass their requirements. Makers like Triumph bikes does not, I believe cause to low volume/value

1. Importduty on Chinese made car is 80% on customs valuation. On occasions they accept invoice for cars and transportcosts as products value

2. product remains in container until you have an agreement with customs and have payed duties. Hard storage fees applied.

6. 7% VAT on all above

BOI, very few pass their requirements. Makers like Triumph bikes does not, I believe cause to low volume/value

Thanks for this - scary they can charge on 'Customs' valuations. I don't have an issue of the cost plus transport I guess if the buying price is low enough.

Do you think break it down and send in as parts may work better - separate containers? I won't be doing 1 only.

Do you know where I can find the acceptable emissions details?

So the excise tax say 50% goes on the cost plus duty (180%) + 50% then that becomes 230% and then 7% on the 230%? Ouch....

No easier way.... hmmm - they really don't want cars being imported do they! These are simply 2 and 4 seater buggy styles with very efficient motors - 600 cc and still can do 100 kms/hr and disk brakes all round so safe as well. But it may make retail too high unless I bring them in for rental only. Need to give it some thought.

Thanks again. - Best wishes

Edited by asiawatcher

6. 7% VAT on all above

Thanks for this - scary they can charge on 'Customs' valuations. I don't have an issue of the cost plus transport I guess if the buying price is low enough.

Do you think break it down and send in as parts may work better - separate containers? I won't be doing 1 only.

Do you know where I can find the acceptable emissions details?

So the excise tax say 50% goes on the cost plus duty (180%) + 50% then that becomes 230% and then 7% on the 230%? Ouch....

No easier way.... hmmm - they really don't want cars being imported do they! These are simply 2 and 4 seater buggy styles with very efficient motors - 600 cc and still can do 100 kms/hr and disk brakes all round so safe as well. But it may make retail too high unless I bring them in for rental only. Need to give it some thought.

Thanks again. - Best wishes

initially you said cars

600cc you could try a container full of "agriculture machines".

will never be road legal as such, but that would be a tough one as "cars' too

atv/quads can not be road legal in LOS, I just assume they would call your vehicles that