ISOC To Take Over Security In Bangkok From Today

webfact

SECURITY

ISOC to take over security from today

By The Nation

med_gallery_327_1086_14498.jpg

Cabinet yesterday lifted the state of emergency in Bangkok and three adjacent provinces - more than eight months after it was imposed in early April, when the red shirts stepped up anti-government protests in the capital and nearby areas.

The emergency decree will be lifted from today in Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani and Samut Prakan.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said the authorities would now rely on "normal" laws like the Internal Security Act and the Internal Security Operations Command Act in dealing with security threats.

The Centre for Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES) will cease to exist once the decree has been lifted. The job of monitoring security risks would be taken over by the Internal Security Operations Command (ISOC), which has the prime minister as ex-officio chief and the defence minister as its deputy chief.

Abhisit said the existing mechanism should be sufficient to deal with the red shirts, who recently announced plans to "step up" street rallies.

The prime minister said police would take over from the military in dealing with internal security issues. He said he had talked to national police chief General Wichean Pote-phosree about the matter, who expressed confidence that police would be able to do the job well.

He said police and relevant authorities had learnt what to do when the state of emergency was lifted earlier in more than 20 provinces.

Asked about possible unrest now the decree has been curtailed, Abhisit expressed optimism there would be no violence. But he said it was the authorities' duty to deal with any urgency.

The CRES gave several reasons in its proposal to Cabinet for the state of emergency to be lifted. They were that the situation had largely returned to normal; that the authorities saw no need now for a special security law; and the general public opposed violence and unlawful pressure for action, government spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn said yesterday.

Cabinet also approved an ISOC request yesterday for Bt156 million to fund its plan to maintain security following the lifting of the emergency decree, Panitan said.

Interior Minister Chaovarat Chanweerakul voiced confidence yesterday that the authorities would be able to ensure security during the New Year celebrations despite the end of the "emergency".

Asked if he was concerned about possible violence during red-shirt protests in the future, the minister said the emergency decree could be imposed again, if necessary. He was quoting Army commander-in-chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha.

Meanwhile, the Army chief looked irritated yesterday when asked by reporters about the allegedly high sum spent during the state of emergency.

"The amount is not as high as ten of billions. The government doesn't have that much money for us. If you want the authorities to work for you and the country to be peaceful, you should stop concocting untrue reports and writing nonsense," Prayuth said.

state of emergency.

"The amount is not as high as ten of billions. The government doesn't have that much money for us. If you want the authorities to work for you and the country to be peaceful, you should stop concocting untrue reports and writing nonsense," Prayuth said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-12-22

"... "The amount is not as high as ten of billions. The government doesn't have that much money for us. If you want the authorities to work for you and the country to be peaceful, you should stop concocting untrue reports and writing nonsense," Prayuth said."

Brass with nuts against media - like that! smile.gif

Edited by asiawatcher

Thailands political extremists are, as far as all the National media agrees, quiet. No Bombs, No Killings. The Reds and Yellows protest, but no violence ensues, just some inconvenience to some Bangkok citizens.All parties seem intent on maintaing order in what will be an election year.

And so, when a "Democratic" country decides all is well, everything should, and must, return to normal.

But here is where Thailands version of "normal" differs from the majority of Democratic nations.

The short term Military controlled CRES has passed the baton on to the PERMANENT Situation Monitoring Centre and their powers under the ISA, which differ little from the CRES's powers.

The ARMY chief-of-staff Dapong Rattanasuwan as Isoc secretary-general is in charge of the new centre which comes under Isoc. The ARMY run the ISOC, NOT the Police or Civil Government.

There is a line that i have read in another report that should chill ALL Thais ;

"About 100 staff - military, police and civilian - have been seconded to help at the centre where the main tasks will include monitoring political movements"

Thats right, "will include political movements"? Well as far as i am aware, there are a couple of Red and yellow shirt gatherings every month or so which have been well policed and have had no trouble. So what will the SMC add? What skills will the ARMY bring to day to day generally dull Bangkok policing?

Or should the question be, what will the ARMY define as "monitoring political movements"?

And suddenly the cabinet has 130 MILLION baht available to fund the SMC. Now this is just not here in Bangkok, no. The ARMY would be set up at the regional and provincial levels and 14 agencies including the Information and Communication Technology, Transport and Labour ministries.

Sorry? Transport? Labour Ministries? Why? What on earth is the Government funding here? Are these ministries and regional offices to send information on individuals or groups to the Army's SMC? Who will do this? What criteria gets you "noticed"?

The ISA is allowing a Nationwide, Government funded Military lead force to observe, act and judge the CIVILIAN population. Itwill sidestep the police in all matters and will do as its ARMY bosses wishes. It has powers that clearly will allow MILITARY intrusion into political and personal areas whilst giving the Army a free hand to act against the CIVIL population WITH IMPUNITY.

Is that the sound of jackboots I hear Thailand?

Thailands political extremists are, as far as all the National media agrees, quiet. No Bombs, No Killings. The Reds and Yellows protest, but no violence ensues, just some inconvenience to some Bangkok citizens.All parties seem intent on maintaing order in what will be an election year.

And so, when a "Democratic" country decides all is well, everything should, and must, return to normal.

But here is where Thailands version of "normal" differs from the majority of Democratic nations.

The short term Military controlled CRES has passed the baton on to the PERMANENT Situation Monitoring Centre and their powers under the ISA, which differ little from the CRES's powers.

The ARMY chief-of-staff Dapong Rattanasuwan as Isoc secretary-general is in charge of the new centre which comes under Isoc. The ARMY run the ISOC, NOT the Police or Civil Government.

There is a line that i have read in another report that should chill ALL Thais ;

"About 100 staff - military, police and civilian - have been seconded to help at the centre where the main tasks will include monitoring political movements"

Thats right, "will include political movements"? Well as far as i am aware, there are a couple of Red and yellow shirt gatherings every month or so which have been well policed and have had no trouble. So what will the SMC add? What skills will the ARMY bring to day to day generally dull Bangkok policing?

Or should the question be, what will the ARMY define as "monitoring political movements"?

And suddenly the cabinet has 130 MILLION baht available to fund the SMC. Now this is just not here in Bangkok, no. The ARMY would be set up at the regional and provincial levels and 14 agencies including the Information and Communication Technology, Transport and Labour ministries.

Sorry? Transport? Labour Ministries? Why? What on earth is the Government funding here? Are these ministries and regional offices to send information on individuals or groups to the Army's SMC? Who will do this? What criteria gets you "noticed"?

The ISA is allowing a Nationwide, Government funded Military lead force to observe, act and judge the CIVILIAN population. Itwill sidestep the police in all matters and will do as its ARMY bosses wishes. It has powers that clearly will allow MILITARY intrusion into political and personal areas whilst giving the Army a free hand to act against the CIVIL population WITH IMPUNITY.

Is that the sound of jackboots I hear Thailand?

The ISA allows for observing, acting and upto a point judging the Thai population. This can be done by police or ISOC. ISOC is especially setup to safeguard Thailand. ISOC falls under and reports to the office of the PM.

The ISOC is modeled along the US Homeland Security Department setup. Apart from a GOP candidate Rich Lott I don't hear jackboots in the USA I think?

ISOC is especially setup to safeguard Thailand. ISOC falls under and reports to the office of the PM.

The ISOC is modeled along the US Homeland Security Department setup.

As a matter of interest are you aware of ISOC's appalling record, including atrocities against civilians over several decades (particularly in the 1960's and 1970's) as well as as more recent abuses? Or are you aware and just prefer to ignore it?

Thats right, "will include political movements"? Well as far as i am aware, there are a couple of Red and yellow shirt gatherings every month or so which have been well policed and have had no trouble.

Probably wouldn't hurt to bring in the still wanted and newly wanted Red fugitives included in the thread of that topic.

They've all got very serious charges against them and many of them have been fugitives from justice for 8 months. Who is supplying them? Who is aiding and abetting them?

That might be a good place to start work for some of the new staff. ;)

Edited by Buchholz

ISOC is especially setup to safeguard Thailand. ISOC falls under and reports to the office of the PM.

The ISOC is modeled along the US Homeland Security Department setup.

As a matter of interest are you aware of ISOC's appalling record, including atrocities against civilians over several decades (particularly in the 1960's and 1970's) as well as as more recent abuses? Or are you aware and just prefer to ignore it?

No offence, but stupid question. Of course I'm aware of what the ISOC in it's previous incarnations has done, just google/yahoo a bit and you can read about it. I try to ignore nothing, not even provocative remarks.

Apart from that, would you like to comment on the contents of my posts, my dear chap ?

(edit: add: next time try to indicate where you cut some of my post. Like:

begin removed ...

some of post

... some in the middle removed ...

some of post

... rest removed)

(edit2: you may also just refer and point to the original post you refer to, like I could refer to although I didn't change / omit any of yours)

Edited by rubl

No offence, but stupid question. Of course I'm aware of what the ISOC in it's previous incarnations has done, just google/yahoo a bit and you can read about it. I try to ignore nothing, not even provocative remarks.

Ah so the question is stupid.The vehemence (and silliness) of that comment suggests I have struck a raw nerve.

The ISOC is an organisation with blood on its hands, and still has the same repressive and if necessary murderous profile it always did.I would have thought that was a point you might have mentioned in your generally benign remarks on it.But perhaps you hadn't started googling then.

Ah so the question is stupid.The vehemence (and silliness) of that comment suggests I have struck a raw nerve.

The ISOC is an organisation with blood on its hands, and still has the same repressive and if necessary murderous profile it always did.I would have thought that was a point you might have mentioned in your generally benign remarks on it.But perhaps you hadn't started googling then.

Well at least you started to reply to the contents of the post.

Just as I do not condemn Dr. Weng and a few others for being communists in the 70's, I do not want to hold 70's/80's repression against the ISOC of today. I've even forgiven the current generation of Germans for what happened in my country in 40-45. That's how benign and forgiving I am :)

Just as I do not condemn Dr. Weng and a few others for being communists in the 70's, I do not want to hold 70's/80's repression against the ISOC of today. I've even forgiven the current generation of Germans for what happened in my country in 40-45. That's how benign and forgiving I am :)

Analogy doesn't really work I'm afraid.Germans as with the Japanese have abandoned their martial past (easily the best armies in WW2).Thai commies have become standard harmless lefties or metamorphised into capitalists.As for ISOC nothing has changed and it remains committed as ever to a repressive role and defending the indefensible, attack dogs for the greedy elite (I would have said entrenched a year or so ago but clearly its days are numbered).

Analogy doesn't really work I'm afraid.Germans as with the Japanese have abandoned their martial past (easily the best armies in WW2).Thai commies have become standard harmless lefties or metamorphised into capitalists.As for ISOC nothing has changed and it remains committed as ever to a repressive role and defending the indefensible, attack dogs for the greedy elite (I would have said entrenched a year or so ago but clearly its days are numbered).

Analogy? I only say I do not condemn people or current organisations for the wrong done almost a generation ago.

As for ISOC not having changed, your opinion to which you are entitled ;)

(totally of topic, but 'easily the best armies'?. You're a friend of Rich Lott I guess :) )

Analogy? I only say I do not condemn people or current organisations for the wrong done almost a generation ago.

(totally of topic, but 'easily the best armies'?. You're a friend of Rich Lott I guess :) )

Well, unless you come from a family of insects or octopuses, the 'generation' comment is a bit wide of the mark. ISOC hadn't changed it's spots in it's dealings with the Rohingya refugees 19 months ago (as discussed in the other ISOC thread).

You miss the point.ISOC essentially hasn't changed.The others you mention have completely.

Who is Rich Lott?

I am quite interested in the comparative strength of the military in WW2.Although the Russians made the greatest contribution I think the German army - possibly just ahead of the Japanese army - was man for man the highest quality.There are some troubling questions about the British army performance (and even more troublingly the abysmal Australian performance) and Max Hastings has written interestingly about both these subjects.Americans began poorly but quite formidable at the end.Rommel thought the New Zealanders were the best troops he had to face.

Well, unless you come from a family of insects or octopuses, the 'generation' comment is a bit wide of the mark. ISOC hadn't changed it's spots in it's dealings with the Rohingya refugees 19 months ago (as discussed in the other ISOC thread).

Your opinion, as I said. Thank you for paying attention.

Who is Rich Lott?

I am quite interested in the comparative strength of the military in WW2.Although the Russians made the greatest contribution I think the German army - possibly just ahead of the Japanese army - was man for man the highest quality.There are some troubling questions about the British army performance (and even more troublingly the abysmal Australian performance) and Max Hastings has written interestingly about both these subjects.Americans began poorly but quite formidable at the end.Rommel thought the New Zealanders were the best troops he had to face.

Where were you in October 2010?

Rich Lott (aka Reinhardt Pferdmann):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11511574

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/09/rich-iott-republican-hous_n_756870.html

(PS sorry to have gone this much off topic, but it's a logical move from 'easily the best armies' written in one of the replies)

And also the opinion of most of the World's media, based on some first class investigative journalism. But, hey, feel free to carry on denying. I'll just keep on providing more and more evidence of recent ISOC atrocities.

And also the opinion of most of the World's media, based on some first class investigative journalism. But, hey, feel free to carry on denying. I'll just keep on providing more and more evidence of recent ISOC atrocities.

Where did I deny something?

Just to be sure, regarding the Rohingya refugees (first oldest, last most recent of quotes):

http://www.topnews.in/unhcr-demands-transparent-probe-rohingya-incident-thailand-2117027

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2009/01/27/thailand-international-human-rights-and-isoc/

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/asia/2009/02/20092451910503370.html

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/02/14/politics/politics_30095697.php

Edited by rubl