What Would You Do If You Were Me?

sidjameson

Sidjameson:

These things seem contradictory:

"Relevant factors. I can live cheap. I want to find a wife. I need young and attractive."

You may be able to live cheaply, but your "young and attractive" wife is not likely to be willing to do so. Change your "needs" and look an older and attractive wife. Asians age well, and an older one will take far better care of you and your limited resources.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with health insurance is that anything related to a pre-existing condition is excluded. That means any and all care for the back and prostate are excluded. If the prostate is cancerous and you then develop cancer elsewhere the treatment will most likely be excluded since it will be argued that the prostate cancer spread. This means you cannot leave the UK health system if you ever want to be taken care of. If you become ill in Thailand, the UK will not pay to medivac you.

The UK pension system will not collapse. It will be there despite all the doomsayers. It will be there because it is backed by the government which is backed by the taxpayers of the UK. If the UK government fails, i.e. goes Bankrupt like Argentina or if the taxpayers won't pay tax, then you'll have bigger problems than just a pension. The UK funds available to you are insufficient to relocate to Thailand. Unless you can afford to lose your money, purchasing a condo in Thailand is a bad idea. This is a country due for a major market adjustment. Live in the UK and spend winters here.

SO, OP have you reached any worthwhile conclusions?

I think the guy who suggested a live in nanny has it stitched up perfectly :jap:

Oh, and to the poster who asked me if i think its OK to live a lie by not letting a Thai female know how much your really worth..

I would of thought it was such a bleedingly obvious tactic that it needed even warrant mentioning.

In any case, it is YOU who allows yourself to be fleeced. And what that means is you have to be silly enough to get fleeced in the first place. I don't think the OP is that silly.

A well known saying around here is that Thai women dont TAKE your dough, they ASK for it.

It must be assumed the people on here who have been fleeced have not really been fleeced at all, they have simoly GIVEN it away,...i cant see how anyone, thai or otherwise can gain unlimited access to your account if you don't lett them :whistling:

but hey, if you think you should be open and honest about your bank account to ANY female you dont really know and cant communicate with 100%...well chok dee ..for me i will stick with...

when in Rome......

Edited by ozzieovaseas

SO, OP have you reached any worthwhile conclusions?

I think the guy who suggested a live in nanny has it stitched up perfectly :jap:

Oh, and to the poster who asked me if i think its OK to live a lie by not letting a Thai female know how much your really worth..

I would of thought it was such a bleedingly obvious tactic that it needed even warrant mentioning.

In any case, it is YOU who allows yourself to be fleeced. And what that means is you have to be silly enough to get fleeced in the first place. I don't think the OP is that silly.

A well known saying around here is that Thai women dont TAKE your dough, they ASK for it.

It must be assumed the people on here who have been fleeced have not really been fleeced at all, they have simoly GIVEN it away,...i cant see how anyone, thai or otherwise can gain unlimited access to your account if you don't lett them :whistling:

but hey, if you think you should be open and honest about your bank account to ANY female you dont really know and cant communicate with 100%...well chok dee ..for me i will stick with...

when in Rome......

I'm not talking just any Thai female.

I am talking about one's wife.

If you can't trust her, why be married to her ?

Maybe she will take out a large life insurance policy on you and kill you in your sleep.

Maybe she will take out a large life insurance policy on you and kill you in your sleep.

You should never trust your wife ........ unless you want to run the risk of losing everything you own.

(Note: nationality of wife not important)

You should never trust your wife ........ unless you want to run the risk of losing everything you own.

I am sad for you...

I am at an airport in Taiwan and on my way to Bk tomorrow. I have got many good ideas here and in pms.

Believe it or not I made all that money through teaching english in Japan. I don't think I am the type to lose it all again. :)

I will read and digest more over next couple of days.

Hi sidjameson

A few thoughts come to mind,

how will you get a UK state pension? 30 years contributions are required

buy a small flat in the UK, in a cheap/nice area, maybe Lincolnshire

stay half the year in UK April to September. rent in different areas of Thailand October to March, best of both climates

seek professional advice re savings.

I am sad for you...

I'm sad for his wife...

The problem with health insurance is that anything related to a pre-existing condition is excluded. That means any and all care for the back and prostate are excluded. If the prostate is cancerous and you then develop cancer elsewhere the treatment will most likely be excluded since it will be argued that the prostate cancer spread. This means you cannot leave the UK health system if you ever want to be taken care of. If you become ill in Thailand, the UK will not pay to medivac you.

The UK pension system will not collapse. It will be there despite all the doomsayers. It will be there because it is backed by the government which is backed by the taxpayers of the UK. If the UK government fails, i.e. goes Bankrupt like Argentina or if the taxpayers won't pay tax, then you'll have bigger problems than just a pension. The UK funds available to you are insufficient to relocate to Thailand. Unless you can afford to lose your money, purchasing a condo in Thailand is a bad idea. This is a country due for a major market adjustment. Live in the UK and spend winters here.

Don't be so sure about the UK pensions being gold plated.

For the baby boomer lucksters it maybe collapse proof. No longer for the Generation Xs, Ys and Chavs.

With the UK economy on its last legs, an ageing population and very uncertain future for a paralytic manufacturing industry the UKs days as the queen of currency's is well and truly over.

OP, that is the best advice given so far on this thread. With your pre-existing conditions, do not expect to get any worthwhile health insurance in Thailand. At your age, £290k isn't enough to see you comfortable for an indefinite period, and unless you actually marry a Thai woman your only means of staying in Thailand under the age of 50 would be a work-permit based on your TEFL qualification. As you can see, opinions differ as to whether marriage would damage your finances - there are plenty of examples either way, but you won't really know how your choice of partner will pan out unless you spend a long period getting to know her before you tie the knot.

So either resign yourself to another 10 years or so working in the UK and generating enough income to support winter holidays here, as geriatrickid suggests, or if you have a friend here who could sponsor you for a Non-Imm O Visa, come for a year and see how you get on before you commit yourself long-term. Trawl the links on this site for further info:-

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/downloads-and-visas.aspx

Hi sidjameson

A few thoughts come to mind,

how will you get a UK state pension? 30 years contributions are required

buy a small flat in the UK, in a cheap/nice area, maybe Lincolnshire

stay half the year in UK April to September. rent in different areas of Thailand October to March, best of both climates

seek professional advice re savings.

Nowadays, only 20 years contributions are required.

Also, I heard that in 2 years, no contributions will be required.

What makes you think people are cold in the UK ,Maybe its you who have an attitude to other people, Apart from that good luck for you , I have prostrate cancer, mine is not a killer like 90% of prostate Cancer,mine is being controlled by drugs , and i live a full life , just a little niggle pain now and again but i am totally happy here in England with my Thai wife who is the love of my life . I am 57 she is 37 ,I got married for the first time 18 months ago , so there is still time and hope for you , as the Thais say Up to You. I live on the East coast in Lincolnshire , you could get a good size house for less than a hundred grand. maybe get yourself three or four buy to let , that way you could live in Thailand 6 months of the year and have all the benefits of the national health and all the protection of the UK laws ext ext. just My opinion and thoughts.

Edited by Thongkorn

I am at an airport in Taiwan and on my way to Bk tomorrow. I have got many good ideas here and in pms.

Believe it or not I made all that money through teaching english in Japan. I don't think I am the type to lose it all again. :)

Now I'm confused.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/401179-living-in-thailand-on-marriage-visa/page__p__3910657__fromsearch__1#entry3910657

Now I'm confused.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/401179-living-in-thailand-on-marriage-visa/page__p__3910657__fromsearch__1#entry3910657

That is just too funny.

All these good folks offering you their advice and you either playing them like a fool or previously a liar.

So, which is it?

I'm a big fan of Robert Kiyosaki - investment should mainly be about creating cash flow. Your 290K GBP equates to a bit more than 13 million Thai Baht. You should use half of that to buy three medium priced condo's (2.5 million Baht) somewhere along the new BTS extension from On Nut. Everyone has their own theories but this is one that is a fact; rent is dead money, you aint getting it back. Own the condo you live in and you're saving money straight away. Buy one to live in and collect rent from the other two. You create cash flow to live off and even if you're only picking up 30 - 40K baht a month in rental income it's still good because you won't be paying any rent on the one you're living in.  

I rather like that idea

Now I'm confused.

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry3910657

That is just too funny.

All these good folks offering you their advice and you either playing them like a fool or previously a liar.

So, which is it?

+1

speak up now sid, no need to be shy

Now I'm confused.

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry3910657

That is just too funny.

So, which is it?

+1

speak up now sid, no need to be shy

+2, in anticipation, wait a mo, just topping my beer up. :huh:

but regardless, Im still going to ask people to give only realistic advice only.

please save your jokes and sarcastic remarks for a different thread.

no idea if the OP's questions are real or not anymore (reference Thaddeus' post)but the topic is one that is valid and would be of use to many others.

any more off topic or comments intended to mislead will be deleted and very likely warnings given.

(and that includes across the board negative remarks about the entire Thai female population. just cos you have only had the chance to associate with gold diggers in one country, does not allow you to group all thai women in that category. at least not on my watch)

Get professional advice on how to create and administer a blind trust..

Get the blind trust (its not your money now remember) to buy a house in the UK..

You rent then that house...

Now presuming your unemployed and with a bad back.. You will have housing benefit and the rent is paid (maybe only 80% of it).. That rent then goes to the trust (not you, you dont own a trust remember).. Plus depending on circumstances medical / disability payments which do come to you.

You also receive poll tax relief, etc etc etc..

Essentially if you borrow the money for the house the gov pays the mortgage..

Why leave gaming the system only to the Poles.

Even if converted into A$ thats what, 500k at 4% interest after tax say A$ 20k per year at 30 to the A$ so 600,000 per year or 50,000 per month.

Yeah he could have a modest life style here, but how much will he have in say 10 years time after inflation and exchange/interest rates are factored in?

Okay, using your example, since you brought it up & its not the way I'm suggesting he does it, but,

If he conversted 290k Pound into Aussie Dollars (because you raised it), he would get about 450k AUD for it. Today if he went to one of the major 4 in Oz, he could get a 5 year term deposit at 7% (I don't know why your quoting 4%). So with that example he would get $31,500 gross, after deducting tax (10%) he would end up with $28,350, which at this particular point in time would be 858,000 baht so divided by 12, monthly 71,500 baht. He could probably live on 30k baht per month & put the remainder with his principal savings in an attempt to counter inflation. Perhaps in normal times he could acheive that, but with uncertain times ahead, virtually anything could happen with inflation. ANYWAY

Thats NOT what I would do. Perhaps he should seek REAL PROFESSIONAL FINANCIAL ADVICE, not the type of stuff that goes about on internet forums.

OK, I'll bite.... what would you do? Earning an after tax 6.33% ($28,350) on a $443,700 investment seems pretty good in these times. I wouldn't want to be stuck there for the long term in the event that inflation picks up, which as you suggest seems more than likely (so being locked in for 5 years seems about right), but I would be pretty happy with a low risk 6.33% return for the next 3 to 5 years. If inflation does rise, rates will rise also, and when the current CD matures the new roll over rate should then reflect the then current (expected) rate of inflation.

ok, for those that wish to know more than I should tell a public forum. :)

I am still legally married to a well educated, lovely Thai woman, but we are now 100% friends only. She doesnt mind staying married to help with my visa.

I trust her 1000%

Actually, been in Thailand a week now and my health is 100 times better. Not had one bad second with the back or my prostate. :)