Thailand Set To Raise Age Of Consent To 20 For Sex With Women?

Jingthing

I wouldn't know about that, I've never been stupid enough to have a relationship with a prostitute.

How little you know... ;)

Would you care to expand on that comment?

(Unless you are one of those sad sacks who believes that all women are prositutes on some level in which case please don't bother to respond)

No, not everyone. But many (more than many seem to get) has non-snow-white backgrounds. Or perhaps guys here just to lie to themselves...or others that read their posts when they try to brag how pure and good their gf/wife is.

And by 'good' I mean the 'western' moral value-system, not my own. I personally judge people on very different values.

So to clarify, are you suggesting that my gf most probably doesn't live up to Western moral standards (whatever they might be)? If not then I don't quite understand the purpose of your post and if so then you are being rather presumptious (and a bit of an arse if you don't mind me saying so).

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't know about that, I've never been stupid enough to have a relationship with a prostitute.

(Unless you are one of those sad sacks who believes that all women are prositutes on some level in which case please don't bother to respond)

Change all women to read all people and I could be one of those, "sad sacks."

Judging by your own comments on the way you choose to live your life, that doesn't surprise me in the least.

And what would be wrong with the way he lives his life?

Who are you, his mother?

I didn't say there was anything wrong with the way that he lives his life. I may be mistaken but I seem to recall from his own posts and those of others (which he never refuted) that he is a man in his 60s who enjoys relationships with girls 30-40 years younger than he is. If that is so then I am not surprised he believes that all people are prostitutes on some level.

If I am mistaken then I apologise but I am still glad I am not so sad as to believe that all people prostitute themselves.

Edited by inthepink

Judging by your own comments on the way you choose to live your life, that doesn't surprise me in the least.

At least you understand me. Seriously though, who the heck are you to pass judgement on another human being. Has your life been so spotless and without sin? There is no more defiant denial of one man's ability to possess one woman exclusively than the prostitute who refuses to redeemed (Gail Sheehy). Methinks tis you who may be the sinner.

post-26885-0-11234600-1295425267_thumb.j

Edited by mark45y

At least you understand me. Seriously though, who the heck are you to pass judgement on another human being. Has your life been so spotless and without sin? There is no more defiant denial of one man's ability to possess one woman exclusively than the prostitute who refuses to redeemed (Gail Sheehy). Methinks tis you who may be the sinner.

Who the heck am I to pass judgement on another human being? That's something every single one of us does every time we interact with other people. It's the way that our brains operate. One doesn't have to be spotless, as you put it, in order to make an informed (or indeed uninformed) judgement about the actions of another human being.

At least I wasn't moralising. You are the one who has introduced the concept of sin into the argument.

EDIT: By the way, if none of us were allowed to pass judgement on other human beings on this forum then it would be closed within the week. Actually, just ban people from passing judgement on Thai people and it would be closed within the day.

Edited by inthepink

And what would be wrong with the way he lives his life?

Who are you, his mother?

I didn't say there was anything wrong with the way that he lives his life. I may be mistaken but I seem to recall from his own posts and those of others (which he never refuted) that he is a man in his 60s who enjoys relationships with girls 30-40 years younger than he is. If that is so then I am not surprised he believes that all people are prostitutes on some level.

If I am mistaken then I apologise but I am still glad I am not so sad as to believe that all people prostitute themselves.

What I said was, "I think perhaps you might want to revise the 20 years up a bit and I question your use of the word pedophilia.

I have a 75 year old mate who is married to a 50 year old Thai woman. I guarantee you no one looks at his 50 year old wife and thinks pedophilia.

I am 65 and no one has ever questioned my being with a 45 year old woman.

Maybe if you said 50 year age difference it might raise some eyebrows."

Let me see if I get you right. You think it is reprehensible for a 65 year old man to go out with an 18 year old woman? Yes or no? You also think it is reprehensible for a 65 year old man to go out with a 20 year old woman? Yes or no?

So the revision of the age from 18 to 20 would not make much difference to you. Yes or no?

Would you suggest some criminal penalty for the 65 year old man who goes out with a 20 year old woman? Maybe a spanking?

Let me see if I get you right. You think it is reprehensible for a 65 year old man to go out with an 18 year old woman? Yes or no? You also think it is reprehensible for a 65 year old man to go out with a 20 year old woman? Yes or no?

So the revision of the age from 18 to 20 would not make much difference to you. Yes or no?

Would you suggest some criminal penalty for the 65 year old man who goes out with a 20 year old woman? Maybe a spanking?

Geez, Mark, don't you know by now that single men over the age of 50 are not supposed to have sex anymore? Many posters here believe we are just supposed to crawl into a dumpster some where and die. Just make sure we've paid off all the debts of ex wives and their boyfriends.

[What I said was, "I think perhaps you might want to revise the 20 years up a bit and I question your use of the word pedophilia.

I have a 75 year old mate who is married to a 50 year old Thai woman. I guarantee you no one looks at his 50 year old wife and thinks pedophilia.

You said that in answer to a post stating that, "On other threads, Mark45 has generously described some of his experiences with previous Thai friends and shopkeepers when he started going out in public with his teenage concubine (Mark is in his 60's)".

You did not deny this fact...are you denying it now?

You have also stated elsewhere that you are not married and have had a series of relationships since living in Thailand. I therefore assumed that you were not in a committed relationship with a 45 year old woman and were not averse to having relationships with girls in their 20s.

IF that is true then I am not surprised by your belief that everybody prostitutes themselves as the vast majority of girls in their 20s have absolutely no interest in sleeping with a man in his 60s other than for financial gain. I am not making any judgements as to whether it is right or wrong for old men to date young women. I did mention earlier that I found it a little distasteful, but I also admitted I had no sound moral basis for feeling this way.

---------------------

A man in his 60s dating an 18 or 20 year old does not make any difference to me, no. I am not in my 60s and have no interest in girls that young in any case. I'm not quite sure why you are trying to turn this into a moral debate. Perhaps you are trying to justify your own actions?

Edited by inthepink

[What I said was, "I think perhaps you might want to revise the 20 years up a bit and I question your use of the word pedophilia.

You said that in answer to a post stating that, "On other threads, Mark45 has generously described some of his experiences with previous Thai friends and shopkeepers when he started going out in public with his teenage concubine (Mark is in his 60's)".

You did not deny this fact...are you denying it now?

You have also stated elsewhere that you are not married and have had a series of relationships since living in Thailand. I therefore assumed that you were not in a committed relationship with a 45 year old woman and were not averse to having relationships with girls in their 20s.

IF that is true then I am not surprised by your belief that everybody prostitutes themselves as the vast majority of girls in their 20s have absolutely no interest in sleeping with a man in his 60s other than for financial gain. I am not making any judgements as to whether it is right or wrong for old men to date young women. I did mention earlier that I found it a little distasteful, but I also admitted I had no sound moral basis for feeling this way.

---------------------

A man in his 60s dating an 18 or 20 year old does not make any difference to me, no. I am not in my 60s and have no interest in girls that young in any case. I'm not quite sure why you are trying to turn this into a moral debate. Perhaps you are trying to justify your own actions?

Sorry, Inthepink I thought you meant in this thread and that is why I quoted my previous post.

You are right I am not in a committed relationship. I like fresh women and fresh flowers. Puts a spring in my step and a smile on my face.

Given they are between legal and not dead I really don't care how old they are as long as they are fun and happy. If they want a guy who will tolerate their sour moods they can get married. I have been out with 18 year old women and 65 year old women. I don't discriminate.

I am not trying to justify my actions. Or my inactions.

In some respects it is easier for an older guy to live with a 20 year old woman than a 30 year old woman. 30 year old women want sex all the time. 20 year olds are less demanding in that area.

I really don't think it makes much difference between 18 or 20 or 25 in Thailand. I have confused 18 and 25 year old women all the time. Who can tell the difference? An 18 year old with a couple of kids who works on the farm looks much older than a 25 year old hi so lady who has been in college for 8 years.

OK.

What's more interesting to me, rather than trying to look for a way to criticise you, which I wasn't, however it came across (well, maybe just a bit :sorry: ), is why you think that all people are prostitutes?

Taken in a Buddhist sense the worst form of prostitution is to prostitute your mind. Prostituting a small part of your body can hardly cost you much Karma.

I remember being in the Army and disagreeing with my commanding officer. I was right and it was a matter of life and death but not mine.

The commanding officer took this affront to his authority very seriously. He wrote me a death warrant. A transfer to a job where no one lasted more then a couple of weeks, tops.

I got lucky and the commanding officer got transferred at the same time as my orders came through. I escaped death. The new commanding officer had a meeting with me and confirmed the fact that I would always defer to his infinite wisdom. My response, “anything you say boss.” I sold out. I wanted to stay alive. I was a whore.

Perhaps this has never happened to you. Maybe you have always been true to yourself.

However death, the welfare of my wife and children has caused me sell out a number of times. I sincerely doubt if I am that unique.

OK.

What's more interesting to me, rather than trying to look for a way to criticise you, which I wasn't, however it came across (well, maybe just a bit :sorry: ), is why you think that all people are prostitutes?

Taken in a Buddhist sense the worst form of prostitution is to prostitute your mind. Prostituting a small part of your body can hardly cost you much Karma.

I remember being in the Army and disagreeing with my commanding officer. I was right and it was a matter of life and death but not mine.

The commanding officer took this affront to his authority very seriously. He wrote me a death warrant. A transfer to a job where no one lasted more then a couple of weeks, tops.

I got lucky and the commanding officer got transferred at the same time as my orders came through. I escaped death. The new commanding officer had a meeting with me and confirmed the fact that I would always defer to his infinite wisdom. My response, "anything you say boss." I sold out. I wanted to stay alive. I was a whore.

Perhaps this has never happened to you. Maybe you have always been true to yourself.

However death, the welfare of my wife and children has caused me sell out a number of times. I sincerely doubt if I am that unique.

Hmmm. I rather thought that was the kind of definition of prositution that you were working with. I would take issue with your initial comment though, as I very much doubt that it is possible to prostitute a small part of your body without prostituting your emotions and mind to a certain extent as well. Even if you block the act out and do not become emotionally involved, by your definition you are prosituting your mind too, as you are not being true to yourself.

Anyway, straying too far from the topic now I fear... Personally I think 20 is too old for the age of consent....in fact, I've never been a huge fan of the government telling anybody what they can or cannot do with their own bodies.

No, not everyone. But many (more than many seem to get) has non-snow-white backgrounds. Or perhaps guys here just to lie to themselves...or others that read their posts when they try to brag how pure and good their gf/wife is.

And by 'good' I mean the 'western' moral value-system, not my own. I personally judge people on very different values.

So to clarify, are you suggesting that my gf most probably doesn't live up to Western moral standards (whatever they might be)? If not then I don't quite understand the purpose of your post and if so then you are being rather presumptious (and a bit of an arse if you don't mind me saying so).

If you took the original remark, with accompanying smailie, very serious and directed against you - whoever you are - then you better get some skin on your nose.

My post was clearly, as you are not anyone known to me or most others, meant to be taken as a generality.

If you took the original remark, with accompanying smailie, very serious and directed against you - whoever you are - then you better get some skin on your nose.

My post was clearly, as you are not anyone known to me or most others, meant to be taken as a generality.

I'm not known to anyone on here as far as I know. My point was not that I am so thin-skinned that I thought you were making disparaging remarks about my gf. Rather you seemed to be saying that firstly, I or others might be simple-minded enough not to know whether a partner was a prostitute and secondly, that there are so many girls here that don't live up to the wonderful moral standards that we apparently have in the West that it is quite likely many of us are dating morally reprehensible girls... That's what I was responding to anyway. Putting a smilie at the end of your comments doesn't make them sound any less like stupid generalisations or less insulting by the way :D (see what I mean?)

Edited by inthepink

OK.

I got lucky and the commanding officer got transferred at the same time as my orders came through. I escaped death. The new commanding officer had a meeting with me and confirmed the fact that I would always defer to his infinite wisdom. My response, "anything you say boss." I sold out. I wanted to stay alive. I was a whore.

Hmmm. I rather thought that was the kind of definition of prositution that you were working with. I would take issue with your initial comment though, as I very much doubt that it is possible to prostitute a small part of your body without prostituting your emotions and mind to a certain extent as well. Even if you block the act out and do not become emotionally involved, by your definition you are prosituting your mind too, as you are not being true to yourself.

Anyway, straying too far from the topic now I fear... Personally I think 20 is too old for the age of consent....in fact, I've never been a huge fan of the government telling anybody what they can or cannot do with their own bodies.

Until your last post I frankly doubted you had not been with a lady of the night. But your lack of acquaintance with a star fish makes your views valid. Yes, Inthapink they can completely blank our their minds from the physical act. Matter of fact they can even do it while dancing on stage. They call it the Bangkok shuffle. Believe me they are somewhere else in their minds.

I have just seen who the minister is. He is a dinosaur, who probably grew up in times when premarital sex was taboo so does not see any problem with his new suggestion. "If I didn't do it, you shouldn't either!!!!" His hands are probably heavily calloused too.

It was never taboo for men -- hence the fact that back in the day, the vast majority of men (according to statistics) had their first sexual experience with a prostitute and a great deal of them regularly patronized them; premarital sex was only taboo for "good girls".

It's unlikely any Thai man -- but especially one with a modicum of wealth and power (which he would have, as minister) -- would have to have calloused hands. There has always been the sex industry and mistresses as an alternative.

I have just seen who the minister is. He is a dinosaur, who probably grew up in times when premarital sex was taboo so does not see any problem with his new suggestion. "If I didn't do it, you shouldn't either!!!!" His hands are probably heavily calloused too.

It was never taboo for men -- hence the fact that back in the day, the vast majority of men (according to statistics) had their first sexual experience with a prostitute and a great deal of them regularly patronized them; premarital sex was only taboo for "good girls".

It's unlikely any Thai man -- but especially one with a modicum of wealth and power (which he would have, as minister) -- would have to have calloused hands. There has always been the sex industry and mistresses as an alternative.

I also think if you do the research and I can't remember where I read it but lady boys are also an acceptable first experience for young Thai males. Here in my small town in Thailand I see a lot of lady boys at Thai karaoke bars.

I like fresh women and fresh flowers.

Puts a spring in my step

... and a smile on my face.

Gee ... Just think what Richard Rodgers could have done with that lyric. Instead he was stuck with Oscar Hammerstein II's:

Some enchanted evening

You may see a stranger,

you may see a stranger

Across a crowded room

And somehow you know,

You know even then

That somewhere you'll see her

Again and again.

(BTW listen to the 1949 Ezio Pinza version on YouTube)

In many countries including Thailand, the word rape is used in a legalistic way which includes violating age of consent laws. In other words, even if there is consent, it is still rape if under the age of consent, legally speaking. For those over the age of consent, rape laws still exist if consent is not granted.

Sure. But what about when you just have that feeling that No really means Yes...you know...?

I am not so sad as to believe that all people prostitute themselves.

lol. There is nothing sad about being a realist. There is a little bit of tragic in believing in ludicrous idealistic nonsensical fantasy.

Every single human being is a prostitute. Literally, and figuratively. It's merely a case of Supply v Demand (which makes men think they're not prostituting themselves out just as hard - if not harder - than the women who are chasing [X, Y or Z - does it really matter which?])

You're unique only in your ability to be frank about the fact that every single one of us sells out - over and over and over again.

In many countries including Thailand, the word rape is used in a legalistic way which includes violating age of consent laws. In other words, even if there is consent, it is still rape if under the age of consent, legally speaking. For those over the age of consent, rape laws still exist if consent is not granted.

Sure. But what about when you just have that feeling that No really means Yes...you know...?

I am not so sad as to believe that all people prostitute themselves.

lol. There is nothing sad about being a realist. There is a little bit of tragic in believing in ludicrous idealistic nonsensical fantasy.

Every single human being is a prostitute. Literally, and figuratively. It's merely a case of Supply v Demand (which makes men think they're not prostituting themselves out just as hard - if not harder - than the women who are chasing [X, Y or Z - does it really matter which?])

You're unique only in your ability to be frank about the fact that every single one of us sells out - over and over and over again.

Only three kinds of people in this world. Romantic people, women and some some posters on Thai Visa.

Gee ... Just think what Richard Rodgers could have done with that lyric. Instead he was stuck with Oscar Hammerstein II's:

Some enchanted evening

You may see a stranger,

I dont know. RR and OH2 did ok with :

"Younger than springtime, are you

Softer than starlight, are you,

Warmer than winds of June,

Are the gentle lips you gave me.

Gayer than laughter, are you,

Sweeter than music, are you,

Angel and lover, heaven and earth,

Are you to me."

The silliest part of all that being that these days Lt Cable would have been jailed for his relationship with Liat. What a brainless world we live in.

How long before the current moral witchhunt nonsense bans masturbation under the age of 20 as well?