Phuket Tour Operators Furious At Russian Counterparts

webfact

"They also work as guides and taxi drivers. More than that, they give wrong information to Russian tourists. They tell them not to use Thai tuk-tuks or taxis, or any service provided by Thai people," he said.

Well it would appear that they are giving correct advice.

Wonder how many Thai tour operators/guides can actually speak Russian fluently enough to be of use anyway.

The Russians are probably sending them to the wrong tailors, gold merchants, bars and jet ski operators. You can only be taken to these places by an honest well respected thai Tuk Tuk driver.

Yes, advice to stay away from the most obvious abusive rip-off artists in Thailand:

tuk-tuk mafia, taxis mafia, gold scam mafia, violent jet ski mafia,

non-Russian speaking scammer bars mafia, Rip-off pricing guides mafia.

The ones to howl loudest are the ones fastest to grab for a tourist's cash,

with little or no consideration for the tourist getting value for their cash.

Of course they should have work permits etc, but with or without,

they are trying to see their country men don't get scammed.

As most all savvy traveler will aide a novitiate traveler from their homeland

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[

Instead the Thai solution is not t think, improve or compete its cartels, blocking competition, lowering quality of service, keeping monopolistic pricing.

or, as we have seen before, strong arm tactics ( actually killing the competition )

Russians with money, do buy themselves out of problems, But Thai have to get real, and put on good quality services at REASONABLE rates. and win the tourists back.

should be teaching this in Economics 303,,, russians charge less, but have more money to pay tea money --- 6paBo!

Just wait until the Chinese come to Thailand, they will dominate the hi end financing, loan sharking, etc. Set their children up in business and bring in the relatives to open more outlets. The Indians may even go after a corner on the textile business, while the Burmese go after the lucrative labor positions The tourist industry is such a small part of the Thai big picture (as per government figures) why worry about a few Russians? Their share would probably not make a pimple on the Thai run businesses rear when it comes to % on the tourist income.

excuse me. the chinese r already here and run thailand financially and have been doing so for decades!!!

I guess a smiling face may have given some people a clue to my sense of humor but the Indian and Burmese reference along withe the Chinese, I thought would be enough. I will try to do better the next time.

yer sardonic irony was obvious to me, but i have an iq above 80 - smily face? nah

OH another Article is they are fighting over 25% less tourists than last year

puket is such UGLY place, anyway

1/2 a day was enuff for moi

From the early 50's we (USA) learn not to trust the Russians, now it's Thailand turn to learn.

No wonder she is not doing anything about it, she is shivering in her boots, because if she does, she want be around for much longer,

Russian Mafia is a lot more BRUTAL than the Italian, it want be long before they take over the whole of Thailand. I have already spotted quite a few in Chiang Mai also,

That will be the end of a peaceful Chiang Mai, they are like Cokratches. Lets just hope they stay at the seaside resorts in the South.

Cokratches? whats that? Is that the button right next to Speal Chack?

And you should watch your mouth, or we will come to Chaing Mai to take over and make sure to BRUTALLY neuter all sex-pats named Robert. :ph34r:

Now now, easy with all the threats on Christmas Eve - at least wait until BOXING DAY :unsure:

LOL :D

No wonder she is not doing anything about it, she is shivering in her boots, because if she does, she want be around for much longer,

Russian Mafia is a lot more BRUTAL than the Italian, it want be long before they take over the whole of Thailand. I have already spotted quite a few in Chiang Mai also,

That will be the end of a peaceful Chiang Mai, they are like Cokratches. Lets just hope they stay at the seaside resorts in the South.

Mafia dont have nationality

say me please - what do you know about Russia except that there are matreshka, perestroyka, putin, vodka, russian wife, KGB and on red square walking bears?

nothing? :lol:

Edited by metisdead
Insult removed.

"They also work as guides and taxi drivers. More than that, they give wrong information to Russian tourists. They tell them not to use Thai tuk-tuks or taxis, or any service provided by Thai people," he said.

Well it would appear that they are giving correct advice.

Wonder how many Thai tour operators/guides can actually speak Russian fluently enough to be of use anyway.

yes the correct information is not to use tuk tuks they are scum!

They relly want to confirm 300% profit to Thai agencies only.

Look - you can trave in Bangkok very logt and pay something like 100 baht.

From airport to somewhere in Bangkok - like 500 baht.

But here in Phuket taxi from airport - 600-700 baht.

Tuk tuk from Patong to somewhere - 600-800-1000 baht.

So Russians can do this for half.

Is it so bad for tourists?

Can't beleive.

quote of the day;;;

Having said that - the Thaïs enjoy going to live overseas at MANY destinations whether OZ, USA or UK where they can own their business 100% - own a house 100% - have the benefits of the taxation system and its rewards such as health care and other taxation spin offs – without being burdened with corruption orientated governmental bodies such as police or customs agents and mafia extortion.

spot on!!!!

I tell ya, im interested in using these russian traders!! cause its spot on that Thai's are ripping us off, especially with taxi rides and tours... obviously id prefer to use Thai operaters but they need to wake up to a world where we are getting hit with very bad exchange rates..

what do you know about Russia except that there are matreshka, perestroyka, putin, vodka, russian wife, KGB and on red square walking bears?

I don't know even these things about Russia. What is matreshka? There are walking bears in Red Square? I thought they danced.

What I do know about Russia is that it is very corrupt and run by gangsters. Also it gets very cold. That is all I need to know to determine that it is one of the last places on this planet that I will ever visit.

About the topic - I haven't seen any mention of the possibility that TAT / BiB know about these foreigners working without permits etc and not doing anything about it because they are getting a cut.

What I do know about Russia is that it is very corrupt and run by gangsters. Also it gets very cold. That is all I need to know to determine that it is one of the last places on this planet that I will ever visit.

So basically only the weather-part bothers you?

Just wait until the Chinese come to Thailand, they will dominate the hi end financing, loan sharking, etc. Set their children up in business and bring in the relatives to open more outlets. The Indians may even go after a corner on the textile business, while the Burmese go after the lucrative labor positions The tourist industry is such a small part of the Thai big picture (as per government figures) why worry about a few Russians? Their share would probably not make a pimple on the Thai run businesses rear when it comes to % on the tourist income.

I know firsthand the Koreans are "setting up shop" in Phuket as we speak. Japanese not yet, but will probably soon enough. I agree with your assessment of the Chinese and Indians. (More so the Chinese b/c they hardly have any decent beach holiday places to go to in China, and its not too hard for them to learn Thai, IMO).

_______

"They also called for an investigation into whether accused Russians had work permits, and how they could work in an occupation reserved by law for Thais."

Two words. Russian Mafia. They have settled in quite well into the Thailand and Cambodian intl beach resort scene. Phuket would be a logical place to settle as well.

Mafia dont have nationality

say me please - what do you know about Russia except that there are matreshka, perestroyka, putin, vodka, russian wife, KGB and on red square walking bears?

nothing? :lol:

Well I have heard of Arshavin, a bit of an under performer at times. :(

That so many Russian ladies, and others from the ex Russian satellite states, want to get out of the country and are using the charms and bodies to do so is hardly a feather in the cap is it? Wouldn't you say that was indicative of a place not to visit? I had a Russian girlfriend who was a university lecturer in Tallinn and met her parents on several occasions. Her father was a former Artillery Colonel and had been in Leningrad (as it was then) throughout the siege. When Estonia gained its independence from the USSR they all refused to return to Mother Russia, as did many others in spite of the Estonians being in payback mode. No recommendation there then. BTW I have been to St.Petersburg and spent three days walking around the Hermitage Museum and also found time to view the magnificent architecture of the city. Great place but is all the Russia that I wanted to see.

My feelings towards Russians is that their peasant mentality prevails and maybe this is because Stalin executed or otherwise disposed of the nobility, the intellectuals and officer classes so that there was nobody left to show a fine example. Having endured brutality and struggled against the odds for long mayhaps we shouldn't expect much better. Maybe a simile would be taking an Isan farmer to lunch at the Savoy?

Edited by Bagwan

1 word.. Compete !!

[[ Even in the non Free market, one with work permits, taxes, restrictions and a FAR higher cost of operating.. Visitors are still using non Thais ?? The concerned Thais should try to analyze why that is.. Take a long look in the mirror and wonder why a Russian can operate at a lower cost for a better service than a Thai is able to, given the huge disadvantage that the non Thai faces in every aspect of business.

Instead the Thai solution is not t think, improve or compete its cartels, blocking competition, lowering quality of service, keeping monopolistic pricing.

As they do this Thailand starts to overtake Euro destinations in costs and prices, for far inferior services, then they wonder why Tourists are spending less freely. Big picture world view is absent from the thinking. ]]

How correct you are Livin - a "Take A Look In The Mirror" approach would open some eyes – but only a few - it will not change the root of the problem. The governmental bodies which are supposed to protect the Thaïs are misaligned and corrupt allowing for the Russians to manipulate them. It’s obvious that this woman is trying to do her duty and is up against pay-offs for easing that control and allowing Russians to operate Tour business. Let alone the obvious that the Russians that are operating prohibited business' on tourist visa's should have their visa's revoked and sent back to the Mother Land.

The methodology for all Thaïs businesses is infectious - an example of them doubling prices to compensate for half the number of tourists - and relates to a very large majority of Thais root mentality. It’s all about the baht - the hell with everyone else.

We are truly walking ATM's to them and any opportunity they have to exploit something - even when they know there will be disastrous results and the whole deal will cave in - they will go through with it - as long as it means getting their pockets lined with cash today. The same goes for the Russian Mafia operating in Thailand.

Having said that - the Thaïs enjoy going to live overseas at MANY destinations whether OZ, USA or UK where they can own their business 100% - own a house 100% - have the benefits of the taxation system and its rewards such as health care and other taxation spin offs – without being burdened with corruption orientated governmental bodies such as police or customs agents and mafia extortion.

On our side of the fence in Thailand as a "Farang" - we are basically told that we can visit - spend our money - but we really want you to go home after emptying your pockets - being only allowed 90 days - 2 times a year visitation rights.

There are so many inequalities built into Thai policies - it’s amazing that we as foreigners stay here. I cannot own my own home – and the Thaïs will not relax their policies to provide a foreigner with at least a home of restricted size – so as not to loose control of their land. I am sympathetic to some of the controls they have implemented – however – enough is enough when you cannot buy your own residence.

If you import something they do not manufacture in Thailand – they will tax you with extortionist rates of over 400% by the corrupt and misaligned Customs Department.

The Thaïs need to be reminded we spend our money here and much more of one Farang’s money enters the system per year than 100’s or more of Thaïs put together.

I am waiting patiently for Cambodia or Vietnam to catch up with Thailand - build up their infrastructures to provide adequate transportation systems - then I am outta here. If I find I cannot wait - Philippines here I come. I am only here to benefit from a lower cost of living - and it seems that’s being pissed away daily by the Thaïs - so for me long range plans are necessary to counteract the Thai one sided mentality - take the money and run.

Most of what you say is true but it's all been said so many times before as i have highlighted above.

Yes,its amazing that you stay, so why do you?

You must have known you couldn't 'buy your own residence' before you came,presuming you did a little bit of research beforehand, you did didn't you?

I don't think the Thais are bothered about farang money entering the system. Isn't it only a small % of GDP? something like 5-6% of which the majority now comes from East Asian tourists as shown in another thread recently.Thats not to mention the Russians and the Arabs. Our influence /power is dwindling as Asia becomes more powerful and the Uk and Europe lurch from one crisis to another.

That lower cost of living is getting more expensive by the day. Thailand simply isn't what it was,certinly not the same as the 90's when i lived and worked there.

som na na..

Thai tourist guides are rip offs who can't speak a word of english, they're finally getting what their deserve.

Every country if you go on a tour, you have pleasant discussions non-stop about everything you see through the window, in thailand its. You pay, You sit and watch a stupid movie in thai while no 1 speaks thai, you stop at some crappy restaurant with dry microwaved food at 5x the price, then you see a buddah temple and they bring you back home without a single word.

• 4 weeks later...

They are mostly illegal, and rightfully the Thais have a cause for concern... Are most of you forgetting that this is Thailand and Thai people come first as far as jobs and industry goes. be respectful of the country that is playing host to you, never disrespect your host. Would you be so quick to open the doors to anyone and everyone in your home country, and agree that they are entitled to just push your own native countrymen to one side?. I doubt it very much.

I will edit to add this also.... The vast majority of members of this forum seem to knock Thailand, its government and the Thai people all day long. it is apparent in almost every post, even posts that do not point to Thai 'inadequacy' always seems to get around to having a dig at Thai people or some aspect of the country. My advice is to pack you suitcase up and head off to your own country and see how much you enjoy living there... oh, you don't like living there do you??? that's why you live here.

Edited by newsite12