Social Security Application Cost Question

Genericnic

Hi all and happy holidays.

I will be relocating to Chiang Mai from the US in the next few weeks. Towards the end of summer 2011, I will be applying for Social Security retirement benefits. The U.S. Consulate on its Federal Benefits page says it can assist by "Certifying supporting documents for applications." I vaguely remember seeing someone in the forums mention that they do not charge for this service. The consulate page does not mention it one way or the other. Anyone have experience with this, especially as it relates to the Social Security application process? If they do charge, does anyone know if it is the same fee as the seriously overpriced notary service? I can get a number of originals here for less than the cost of one notary seal from the consulate.

Thanks all

David

I just had the consulate in Chiang Mai certify documents for my wife to the Social Security office in Manila. My wife is appling for her retirement benefits. There was no charge for the certification and the consulate emails the documents to Manila Social Security Office. Manila even called to my wife for the interview. All required documents and other correspondence is handled by email. Make sure you have a stateside bank account for direct deposit. Direct deposit in Thailand is a hassle. Hope this helps.

I just had the consulate in Chiang Mai certify documents for my wife to the Social Security office in Manila. My wife is appling for her retirement benefits. There was no charge for the certification and the consulate emails the documents to Manila Social Security Office. Manila even called to my wife for the interview. All required documents and other correspondence is handled by email. Make sure you have a stateside bank account for direct deposit. Direct deposit in Thailand is a hassle. Hope this helps.

Retiredaamt

Thanks for the information. Sounds like it is a pretty efficient system.

I have already set up a stateside account with Charles Schwab bank. The direct deposit will go there. For what it is worth, you can use their debit card (Plus network and Visa branded) anywhere and if you get charged an ATM fee, the credit it back to you at the end of the month. Every little bit helps.

Thanks again and have a good holiday.

David

Sometimes someone at the consulate will point out that sending it through the govt mail system it goes unregistered. You have absolutely no tracking capability. It seldom gets lost, but you have no idea when/if it got there until you get a call for the interview. So you have to sit and wait, wondering.

Mail from the consulate goes to BKK and gets consolidated in the APO system with all the other mail and does not necessarily go directly to Manila.

On the other hand, if you send it via FedEx, DHL, or one of the other services you get all that info. For some, the peace of mind that comes from the knowledge that it got there just 2 or 3 days after sending it and who signed for it is worth the cost (between $25 and $35).

Speaking of the telephone interview: my experiences are that there always is one and that it is always accomplished after they review you paperwork in Manila but before they forward it via the computer to the U.S. There will be a telephone interview to confirm the info so be sure to provide a good number. And everyone that I know of that went through this said the first call sets up a time to do the interview, which is convenient if you use a mobile number instead of a land line and they call you when you are in a restaurant.

And, if you have a Thai/foreign born wife that might have a language problem, the agent is open to having you on the line at the same time to help translate.

I found the whole application process quite painless and efficient while expecting the worse in dealing with the Manila SSA office. It all went as stated above and I sent my application via Thai Postal EMS.....with tracking number and a fraction of the price of UPS and the other big guys.

Now those checks arrive every 5th of the month and never late.......but no COLA or bonus from Obama this year?? Wonder why??

David,

I'm going through the process for SSA retirement benefits right now, and it really is quite painless. Nothing to worry about. Claims here are handled through the SSA office in Manila, and is part of the Embassy there. They are your your best source of info. http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwha013.html

Contact them about 3 months before you want to start getting your benefits.

I actually got my interview before they had much any info from me except my name, SSA number, birthday, and phone and email numbers. The call just came unexpectedly and I was not really prepared. I imagine it may have been just a call to set up the interview, as Noise suggested, but I was asked if I was ready for the interview now and I said yes. I guess it's all in the timing. There were a few questions that I did not know the exact answer to, like some dates and the routing number of my US bank where I wanted the benefits to be direct deposited to, so I followed up the interview with the correct info by email. That was followed by the documents that I needed to go to the Consulate to have certified.

BTW, I have been told that any documents that need to by certified by the Consulate that have been requested by a US gov't agency, like SSA, is done free. Others, like to the Thai gov't or a US non-gov't agency, you must pay for. I also just let them forward the documents to SSA Manila, as I kept all the originals and figured if they didn't get them, I would just have to do it again. No big deal.

The SSA agent in Manila verified that he did receive the documents, said everything was in order and that he would be forwarding everything to the main SSA office in Baltimore. They are the only ones who approve applications, and I would be contacted by them if they needed anything else. So now is when the the real waiting occurs. The agent in Manila was very nice and very easy to deal with. I have not bothered checking the progress of my application through the SSA website, I suspect that I will hear nothing from Baltimore, and at the appropriate time I will look at my account in the US and see they have deposited the money.

Higgy

David,

I'm going through the process for SSA retirement benefits right now, and it really is quite painless. Nothing to worry about. Claims here are handled through the SSA office in Manila, and is part of the Embassy there. They are your your best source of info. http://manila.usemba...v/wwwha013.html

Contact them about 3 months before you want to start getting your benefits.

I actually got my interview before they had much any info from me except my name, SSA number, birthday, and phone and email numbers. The call just came unexpectedly and I was not really prepared. I imagine it may have been just a call to set up the interview, as Noise suggested, but I was asked if I was ready for the interview now and I said yes. I guess it's all in the timing. There were a few questions that I did not know the exact answer to, like some dates and the routing number of my US bank where I wanted the benefits to be direct deposited to, so I followed up the interview with the correct info by email. That was followed by the documents that I needed to go to the Consulate to have certified.

BTW, I have been told that any documents that need to by certified by the Consulate that have been requested by a US gov't agency, like SSA, is done free. Others, like to the Thai gov't or a US non-gov't agency, you must pay for. I also just let them forward the documents to SSA Manila, as I kept all the originals and figured if they didn't get them, I would just have to do it again. No big deal.

The SSA agent in Manila verified that he did receive the documents, said everything was in order and that he would be forwarding everything to the main SSA office in Baltimore. They are the only ones who approve applications, and I would be contacted by them if they needed anything else. So now is when the the real waiting occurs. The agent in Manila was very nice and very easy to deal with. I have not bothered checking the progress of my application through the SSA website, I suspect that I will hear nothing from Baltimore, and at the appropriate time I will look at my account in the US and see they have deposited the money.

Higgy

Thanks Higgy. I won't be applying until mid to late summer but it sounds like they have the drill down pretty well. I keep all the routing information and stuff like that in my iPhone so if they sneak up on me, I'll have it available. Too many years as a Boy Scout. :)

David

Getting the benefits from Social Security through Manila was painless but changing from one bank to another has been a pain. Starting in September, still has not come about but did get a message from them after one letter requesting the change with the new info, one fax with the same info and finally by email after they said they did not have the info. I can only attribute the delay due to the fact that a large number of Filipinos entitled to the benefits keep them busy and they do it one at a time, First in, First out.

Getting the benefits from Social Security through Manila was painless but changing from one bank to another has been a pain. ....... I can only attribute the delay due to the fact that a large number of Filipinos entitled to the benefits keep them busy and they do it one at a time, First in, First out.

I was/am confused about your posting. You do not get benefits from Manila. All Manila does is the prepossessing of applications to insure completeness. The application is approved in and payments come from the U.S. Your posts sounds as if you were receiving benefits via direct deposit at one bank and then changed banks and waiting for the direct deposit to be rerouted. That has nothing to do with the PI or the number of Filipinos processing claims.

Getting the benefits from Social Security through Manila was painless but changing from one bank to another has been a pain. ....... I can only attribute the delay due to the fact that a large number of Filipinos entitled to the benefits keep them busy and they do it one at a time, First in, First out.

I was/am confused about your posting. You do not get benefits from Manila. All Manila does is the prepossessing of applications to insure completeness. The application is approved in and payments come from the U.S. Your posts sounds as if you were receiving benefits via direct deposit at one bank and then changed banks and waiting for the direct deposit to be rerouted. That has nothing to do with the PI or the number of Filipinos processing claims.

Hi, The SSA office at the US Embassy in Manila handles all the processing for SE Asia. You send the documents to them. They handle all the processing to the US. Any questions or docs needed, they contact you by phone and/or Email. If your respectful and polite, you will find that the service is fairly quick and painless. Once your checks started going to your bank by direct deposit, you rarely have any contact with them. At the end of the year, they send out a verification of what your receiving every month by mail. In my second year now and absolutely no problem. You email them in Manila and find out who your contact there is. It's divided up by where you live in Asia.

Hubby applied for SS benefits thru Manila this year and the process was VERY simple. I don't recall any trips to the Consulate to certify anything. He applied via email and set up the time for his phone conference via email. He's a bit hard of hearing, so wanted me available to talk with the SS guy. We gave them our cell phone number and the contact in Manila called us exactly at the appointed time. In the email that set up the call, he said to have our bank routing number, etc available.

Our situation is "very clean" in that Hubby and I have been married for nearly 35 years and he has just a couple years of military service, no disability, etc. We resolved everything in one phone conference and the first payment showed up in our U.S. credit union account exactly when he said it would. That's when we finally celebrated his 62nd birthday!

Don't forget that if you are a military veteran, to send in a copy of your DD-214 with your social security application. The Social Security Administration gives vets a little bit extra based upon your years of service.

thanks for the heads-up on that Bob. Every little bit helps.

David

Social Security has a document repository and retrieval system called NDred(Non Disability Repository for Evidentiary Documents). You might try visiting an SSA office before you leave the US and ask them to put your birth certificate, passport and other required documents into this system. That way the SSA folks at VARO Manila can retrieve the documents instantly with no need for certification or mailing.

For direct deposit you might try Bangkok Bank. I have my Federal pension deposited to a US HSBC account and then a portion of that sent electronically to Bangkok Bank's New York branch using my local (Korat) account number. Works like a charm. The exchange rate is good and Bangkok Bank only charges a small fee to move the money from New York to Thailand. It takes a few days, but since it happens on about the same date every month it doesn't matter much.

Social Security has a document repository and retrieval system called NDred(Non Disability Repository for Evidentiary Documents). You might try visiting an SSA office before you leave the US and ask them to put your birth certificate, passport and other required documents into this system. That way the SSA folks at VARO Manila can retrieve the documents instantly with no need for certification or mailing.

For direct deposit you might try Bangkok Bank. I have my Federal pension deposited to a US HSBC account and then a portion of that sent electronically to Bangkok Bank's New York branch using my local (Korat) account number. Works like a charm. The exchange rate is good and Bangkok Bank only charges a small fee to move the money from New York to Thailand. It takes a few days, but since it happens on about the same date every month it doesn't matter much.

Thanks for the information on the NDred system. I will definitely make a trip to SSA before heading out of the country. Way easier than keeping up with all the docs.

As for direct deposit, I use Charles Schwab. That way I get the benefit of their debit cards that can be used anywhere there is an ATM connected to the PLUS network.

David

The only problem with using a US debit card is that you'll get charged 150 baht per withdrawal from almost all Thai ATMs.

I started out using a US debit card, but switched to using a Thai bank because of the fee and because Immigration here in Korat wanted to see activity, in and out, of a local bank. They haven't asked recently, so maybe that was just a whim.

BTW, my US bank reimburses me for ATM fees. They calculate the ATM fee by rounding the withdrawal to the next lowest $5 and assuming anything over that is an ATM fee. Of course, with foreign withdrawals this formula fails miserably so I found myself with all sorts of odd "ATM fee" reimbursements.

The only problem with using a US debit card is that you'll get charged 150 baht per withdrawal from almost all Thai ATMs.

I started out using a US debit card, but switched to using a Thai bank because of the fee and because Immigration here in Korat wanted to see activity, in and out, of a local bank. They haven't asked recently, so maybe that was just a whim.

BTW, my US bank reimburses me for ATM fees. They calculate the ATM fee by rounding the withdrawal to the next lowest $5 and assuming anything over that is an ATM fee. Of course, with foreign withdrawals this formula fails miserably so I found myself with all sorts of odd "ATM fee" reimbursements.

If you use Aeon ATM machines at 3 of their locations in CM, Airport Plaza and Hang Dong Lotus are 2, you can avoid the 150baht fee.

Regarding the "next lowest $5 reimbursement", if the bank is BOI, then you are limited to $8 per month. They also don't support foreign ATM problems very well and you could lose your money. They twice denied a request for an ATM refund from biggest bank in China until I insisted several times that the money was in fact transferred by the Chinese bank nearly 5 months earlier. Luckily, I had documented a lot of information and had also contacted the Bank of China regarding this refund.

They twice denied a request for an ATM refund from biggest bank in China until I insisted several times that the money was in fact transferred by the Chinese bank nearly 5 months earlier.

I live in the present moment so I don't complain, I just accept and move on, at least, that's the goal! :)

Maybe you should have complained, or not… :whistling:

They twice denied a request for an ATM refund from biggest bank in China until I insisted several times that the money was in fact transferred by the Chinese bank nearly 5 months earlier.

I live in the present moment so I don't complain, I just accept and move on, at least, that's the goal! :)

Maybe you should have complained, or not… :whistling:

I didn't need to complain, I just accepted the moment and took action by "firmly" :wai: convincing the CS manager that my money was out there and they just needed to find it. They eventually did. :thumbsup:

If someone from the U.S. is planning to retire and remain in Thailand, then they really should bring certified copies of things like birth certificate, college transcripts, marriage license, military discharge, last will & testament, etc with them. We did, so starting up Hubby's SS was a snap. We just scanned and emailed all the necessary documents to the helpful fellow in Manila. No need to ever set foot in a SS office.