Hi all just to let you all know, the missus got her visa today!

As you can imagine we are all pretty chuffed. I was very suprised to see they let me in the building, which I think calmed the wife's nerves a little. And It was pretty easy, although there were 4 people before us that got refused, which put the "kit mahk" into the missus head. But It was fine. She got called up to the counter which was a little confusing, but later found out this is what consists of a short interview, where as the long interview you go into a private room. And she was there all of 20 minutes, and she returned with the biggest smile and look of relief I have seen. (other than private times of course! :D) They asked her questions about myself; i.e How old? When did you meet? What does he do? Whats his favourate food? Why do you love him? What will you do in England? ect ect. They did ask where I lived? to which she replyed, how should I know, I have never been there before!! Its south England somewhere! Basically she was just bluntly honest. She said she couldn't speak too good of English so they never asked her anything in English. I think even she was supprised at how quick the chat was. Anyway I want to say a big thanks to anyone who helped me along the way, definatly The Scouse!!! For her to get a visa within 2 weeks from start to finish has just blown me away! I wish everyone all the luck and sucess I had in future applications!

A very happy Bang......

P.S Going to have afew tonight!! :o

Hey Bang,

Congratulations to you and the Mrs mate. Well done. I wish you all the best. Wish you hadn't mentioned the 4 refusals though, now i'm panicking again. :o The good news is, if i want to, i can become a Paddy and get my Mrs in that way :D but not before i get a good immigration lawyer on the case, for an appeal :D

MrBoJ

Edited by mrbojangles

For her to get a visa within 2 weeks from start to finish has just blown me away! I wish everyone all the luck and sucess I had in future applications!

Visa in 2 weeks ?

From what I read on this site I thought it was always a 3 month wait ?

Assuming because they are very busy at the Embassy.

Is there any consistency in this process ?

I can understand delays if a man is trying to bring over a girlfriend he has just met in a bar but if it is a wife why do they seem to have such a variation ?

Is there any evidence you can show that speeds the process. like being together for two years ?

Or is it just a lottery ?

Congratulations to you both, I hope you will soon be together. :D

(Don’t forget to heat the car and Jumper for when she arrives.) :o

I Hope you are both very happy together LONG TIME :D

My Wife will arrive 07.15 Sunday

Regards

Ivan

:D

Edited by IvanLaw

Congratulations to you both, I hope you will soon be together. 

(Don’t forget to heat the car and Jumper for when she arrives.) 

I Hope you are both very happy together LONG TIME 

My Wife will arrive 07.15 Sunday

Regards

Ivan

Thanx Ivan, and I am also lucky I am in Thailand with the missus so we will be returning together.
Wish you hadn't mentioned the 4 refusals though, now i'm panicking again.

MrboJ, I am sure you will be fine. And I think 2 of these were people applying to studying in the Uk.

Well done, Ben. Did you get the visa post-dated?

Scouse.

Scouse thanx for everything mate! But I was so busy getting all the bits and pieces together I forgot to write a letter asking for it to be post dated. Duuhhh! Will this cause a problem later on down the line?

Bang.......

Not a problem as such, but an inconvenience. Member apetley posted a thread on here about 2 months ago which highlighted the problem.

Your wife's visa grants her permission to stay in the UK for 2 years; i.e. until 23/8/07 and one month before this date she can apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR). However, one of the criteria for qualifying for the ILR is that the applicant must have spent 23 months in the UK and, because your wife won't be arriving until c. 1/10/05, come the application date she will have done only 22.5 months. As a consequence, it is likely that the Home Office will insist on extending her current visa before granting the ILR and this means that you will have to pay twice instead of just once, the extra cost being £335.

Scouse.

Yes and dont forget in two years time with Government visa inflation then it will no doubt be .... er .... well about a grand really :o

The upside is that it might make your flight problem a little easier ! If not is it possible to name change on that ticket ?

Not a problem as such, but an inconvenience. Member apetley posted a thread on here about 2 months ago which highlighted the problem.

Your wife's visa grants her permission to stay in the UK for 2 years; i.e. until 23/8/07 and one month before this date she can apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR). However, one of the criteria for qualifying for the ILR is that the applicant must have spent 23 months in the UK and, because your wife won't be arriving until c. 1/10/05, come the application date she will have done only 22.5 months. As a consequence, it is likely that the Home Office will insist on extending her current visa before granting the ILR and this means that you will have to pay twice instead of just once, the extra cost being £335.

Scouse.

Scouse, i just read apetley's thread and just want to clarify some points if i can mate.

If, say the Mrs got her visa issued today, 24th Aug and flew to the UK (entering the country) on say the 31st Aug. When do you apply for the ILR? Is it 1year 11 months from the date she entered the UK or 1year 11 months from the date she got the visa? I think, from reading the thread, it's the first one. But just want to make sure.

Also, over the 2 year period, how many times can we go abroad? I'm just a little confused as to what the criteria is, for the 23 months she has to have been living (together) in the UK. Is the criteria quite simply, she arrives in the UK and we live together as man and wife for 23 months and just like any other man and wife, you can go abroad on holidays. However, if she went back to Thailand on her own for say a month, to visit family and i stayed in the UK, does this month apart count as not being together? We won't be planning on doing that but the wifes mum and dad aren't that young anymore and you never know what can happen. Either way, i want to be prepared.

Bangbuathongben, if you haven't already done so, it's worth having a read of apetley thread, as it shows how easily you can get messed up (cost and hassle) with these dates.

Mr. BJ,

To qualify for ILR one must have been resident in the UK for at least 24 months, so the date that counts is the first date of entry to the UK, not the date of the visa. However, one can apply 4 weeks before the qualifying date, which is where the 23 months comes from.

If there is going to be more that a months gap between obtaining the visa and actually travelling it is therefore essential to ask the embassy to postdate the visa. I believe they can do this for up to 3 months. Otherwise one will have to apply for FLR when the visa expires and this is expensive!

There is no hard and fast rule as to how much time must be spent in the UK during the 2 year settlement visa. Obviously, though, if large amounts of time are spent outside the UK then the IND may have doubts as to whether the applicant really is a resident.

However, when applying for British citizenship there are residential requirements. The applicant must have been physically present in the UK on the date 3 years prior to the date of the application and must have spent no more than 270 days outside the UK during the 3 years and no more than 90 days during the final year.

N.B. The 3 year qualifying period for citizenship applies to spouses of British citizens and their minor children. All others have to be legally resident in the UK for 5 years.

Mr. BJ,

To qualify for ILR one must have been resident in the UK for at least 24 months, so the date that counts is the first date of entry to the UK, not the date of the visa. However, one can apply 4 weeks before the qualifying date, which is where the 23 months comes from.

If there is going to be more that a months gap between obtaining the visa and actually travelling it is therefore essential to ask the embassy to postdate the visa. I believe they can do this for up to 3 months. Otherwise one will have to apply for FLR when the visa expires and this is expensive!

There is no hard and fast rule as to how much time must be spent in the UK during the 2 year settlement visa. Obviously, though, if large amounts of time are spent outside the UK then the IND may have doubts as to whether the applicant really is a resident.

However, when applying for British citizenship there are residential requirements. The applicant must have been physically present in the UK on the date 3 years prior to the date of the application and must have spent no more than 270 days outside the UK during the 3 years and no more than 90 days during the final year.

N.B. The 3 year qualifying period for citizenship applies to spouses of British citizens and their minor children. All others have to be legally resident in the UK for 5 years.

Cheers buddy, that makes things a bit clearer. :o

You're welcome.

One thing I forgot to add.

Once the application for ILR is submitted then one's immigration status is effectively put on hold. Therefore, provided the sv has not expired when one submits the ILR application, there is no need to worry if it expires while the ILR application is being considered. The sv will effectively be automatically extended until the ILR decision is made.