New Year In Koh Chang

Charley

We are travelling to Koh Chang on 30th dec from Pattaya on 125 trials bikes

anybody done this Is Koh Chang worth the visit for the NewYear,is accomadation cheap, is there much to see on the trip down to Trat or should we just get the bus

Have been to Pattaya twice for the New Year need a change.

anybody done this Is Koh Chang worth the visit for the NewYear,is accomadation cheap, is there much to see on the trip down to Trat or should we just get the bus

Don't know..

But you,ve just reminded me,i have to buy a "kissymut plesant" for her indoors. :o

A 125 isn't very fast could take all day.

As you know Xmas/New year is peak season so you need to book ahead.Accomodation is not cheap and double or treble Pattaya price,more like Phuket.However Koh Chang is worth the trip.Go soon before its spoilt by the tourism expansion.

Go on Ian's site:

iamkohchang.com for a realistic view on the islands. He can even book accomodation.

Not much to look at on the way.Plenty of steep hills and tight corners on Koh Chang and a few dirt roads left for your trail blkes.

Yes! Take the bikes!!!!

I have driven to Koh Chang many times in a pick up. My friend has driven on his Nouvo.

It should not be too gruelling on a 125 trail bike and once there you will find them invaluable.

The journey there is quite pleasant but mostly on large 4 lane roads. Try looking at a map for alternative scenic routes - there are a few. It takes me about 3 .5 to 4 hours in the pickup, driving fairly hard so allow more than that. If you fancy a stop over, try the Kao Chamao National park and waterfall - cabins and camping -very jungley and swim in the waterfall, or walk all the way to the top if you feel up to it .

Chantaburi is quite a large town with a Tesco’s for supplies, Rayong also has a Tesco on the Sukumvit Rd. there are plenty of places and seaside resorts to stay along the way if you want to stop over anywhere. Trat is very pleasant with little guest houses largely for back-packers going on to Koh Chang or Cambodia.

The ferry to Koh Chang cost about 130 baht each way for my car, me and a passenger so less for you I would think.

There are several different ferries across to the island, so get a single ticket and then you can come back on a different one if you want. The signs to the ferries are very confusing, so just follow any one of them. All the ferries are on a 15 km stretch of coast. There is no need to go into Trat, as there is a turnoff before there signed Koh Chang. I don't know the name of the village but it's a right turn at a large set of lights after a semi-permanent police check. (Don’t forget your passport/ licence and 200 baht!?!?)

Once on the island - you will need to book at that time of year - CHECK FOR BUILDING WORK - it should have been finished by then but you know what it's like!

Klong Prao is not even telling people that their resort is nothing more than a building site at present.

Once on the island you will find the bikes SOOO useful, Koh Chang has one road that only hose-shoes the island (does not circumnavigate it) and all the development occurs along this thin strip around the edge of the island, so anywhere you want to go is a long way off!

Public transport (Sawng Taews) are crap and over-charge to take you from the ferry to your hotel. You end up standing around waiting for one to come, or ordering a special from the hotel. Bike and car hire is about twice what you'd pay in Pattaya, and if you're like me you'll appreciate the independence having you own transport brings...

Furthermore the roads on K/C are very narrow and extremely hilly, a trail bike if the perfect answer for all this, you can also get onto a lot of the more remote beaches with it.

There are also a few tracks into the national park and a track that connects the two ends of the horse-shoe - a macro adventure for the intrepid biker!

Hope this is of some use…..

BTW - Koh Chang is now already being spoilt by poorly planned over-development and the prices there are exorbitant!

post-12660-1124849029_thumb.jpg

post-12660-1124849448_thumb.jpg

Koh Chang used to be my favourite island. Laem Ngob or Laem Ngop is where I used to catch the ferry.

I 'mountain biked' a fair bit around the island. 'Twas interesting.

I'm sure that they are building, building, building now.post-2071-1125039031_thumb.jpg

It used to be VERY busy around New Year due to it being popular with the Thai people for short breaks.

Edited by valentinoxxx

for me ,Koh Chang still be the worth place to visit coz it is complex-environment.. you can reach to the beach, go to forest as trekking or waterfall...you still can choose Quiet places for live even Crowdy beach for party time

anyhow on Dec , it's Hi-season there ..maybe many people go there plus you will go there in "Party Time" so you must see many TH tourists and Farangs ( seem it is winter in EU ,right?)

BTW 31th Dec 05= Sat and 1st Jan 06 , i reckon , it might have 1 compensate holiday on 2nd Jan 06 (and some people might take a special day off on 30th Dec also)....for this reason , so it'd be a small long holidays ...mean it has a chance that make you have more competition form other tourist to find place where to stay ..so you'd manage and book place for live in advance (e-booking!!)

for place to live there ..it's possible to increase the price alil (in some hotel/bangalow) as the concept of DEMAND-SUPPLY

hope you have a good time there

Bambi :o