Taxi And Tuk Tuk

katabeachbum

It seems like Patong Taxi organisation including the tuk-tuks, and the bike and car rental guys have come to an agreement with Government.

More and more black taxis (white reg plates) are converting to legal taxis (green reg plate), and all legal taxis and tuk tuks are now connected to a call centre. This enables taxis and tuk-tuks to park in other areas than beachroad and tourist roads.

The rental guys have each been given a space of 5x5 meters in tourist areas to promote their products, and the rest of their fleets is to be parked elsewhere.

The beach road and several other roads have been almost impossible to park for the public for years, as its been occupied by above. By this agreement 75% of the parking space is now to be returned to the public.

To be implemented from january 1st as I understand

Hopefully a step in the right direction. We'll see if it actually come to fruition and makes a difference or becomes another "feel good" failed policy just like the jet ski insurance scheme.

Well its an agreement pushed by the new governor, to be implemented by the new Phuket Police Commander Major Pekad Tantipong, and they seem pretty goaloriented.

At least its the first time ever I v seen tuk tuks beeing chain-locked by Patong Police for parking illegally :D

Seems PM is pushing for a Phuket clean up

Jan 1, you say? Well Today I walked back along beach road. Maybe 5-10 free space available beween Bangla and the Burger King. That was 90 minutes ago. The BIB were giving tickets for no helmets while helmetless Thais were slowly driving by laughing. No tickets to the illegally parked vehicles though. I am willing to bet you that this deal falls apart just like the jetski insurance deal fell apart. The taxis will still illegally park on the side sois harassing people. The good example are the two sois that circle the Patong Tower. They have staked out the side entrance into the Patong Resort Hotel. They are also monopolizing the space around most of the hotels on Rat U especially from up near the Royal Paradise down to the Mariott.

I'm hoping, i do feel there are some people trying to push this in the right direction.

I thought though inplementation date was 15 jan, together with the adjusted traffic flow system?

Patongs new one way systems, the end of confusing right side driving, is to be implemented on January 15th

There are def some people in power trying to clean up, we ll see if they are able to make all work with them

It must drive business owners nuts (and bankrupt) to have whole streets full of taxis, buses and tuktuks parked outside constantly. How often do they get a fare? Once a day? They make it so unpleasant that people become reluctant to hire them in any case.

Stops people with their own transport parking anywhere near.

Blocks the view such as at the beautiful view of the bay at the LIghthouse Bar at Chalong.

It won't affect me personally, I have to admit. I live outside those areas and I never have any problems parking when I go to Patong, normally using Jungceylon or Banzaan market.

But it does show at least that the concerns, a lot of people on here have, are being thought about and attempts to change them are being made. To what success is yet to be seen.

The Phuket haters will have to work a bit harder to find things to moan about, if things start to improve around here. :whistling:

I believe all the touts on Bangla Road were to become illegal on, from memory, the 1st November. It was still business as usual for the touts in November and, the last time I went to Bangla Road, they were all still there, in a line and holding their menu cards for ping pong shows etc. I also saw some farang touts, either English or Russian girls.

I hope this deal is for real as parking and traffic is a big problem but we'll just have to wait and see.

Edited by NamKangMan