French Computer Keyboard (Azerty)

gobs

Hi all,After my home have been burgled, I had to buy back (among other things) a new computer in Pantip Plaza. Unfortunately (for me!), they all come with US/THAI keyboard (QWERTY): I,m not able to write accents on vowels and make a lot of keyboard faults...Anyone knows if a PC "french keyboard" may be available somewhere in CNX?Thanks in advance,Gobs

some of the more Branded keyboard like Microsoft or Logitech might be what you want to look for , i believe it have a international standard .

you can get it in bangkok or IT city airport plaza . if you can;t find the model you like

try going to www.logitech.com or http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/default.mspx

but if you can;t PM me my wife had dealer ship for microsoft and logitech product. if you not in a rush we can place order for you. with local warranty of 1-3 years depend on model

Edited by Ta22

some of the more Branded keyboard like Microsoft or Logitech might be what you want to look for , i believe it have a international standard .

He doesn't want an international standard, he wants French. :rolleyes:. Microsoft doesn't sell French keyboards in Thailand any more than they sell Hindi ones in Zimbabwe.

I think he has the following options:

1: Buy some keyboard stickers; then you get the AZERTY key order, but you don't get the accents marked on the keys of course.

2: (Ask someone to) buy a keyboard in France and either bring it or mail it to you and include the receipt.

back in college I covered all my keys in black tape so I would learn how to touch type and not look. Works well but frustrating learning.

Yes, that's what I did too to learn to type Thai blind. Your eyes can deceive you and slow you down. Use The Force.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

If you are using Windows XP or Windows 7, simply go to Control Panel, then choose languages. In there will be a way to change the default keyboard to your French one.

On XP my keyboard defaults to Dvorak (a more efficient keyboard that I learned to type on long ago but different than Qwerty, which was made specifically to be the slowest possible keyboard to prevent manual typewriters from jamming) but I can click on a keyboard icon in my tool tray to switch to Qwerty for visitors, or I can switch to Thai Kedmanee keyboard.

If you are using a Mac I imagine there is a way to change the internal keyboard there too.

This all assumes that you can touch type. If not, you'll probably have to have one shipped from France.

Thanks to all,

OK, I'm not such a king to type "without" the types written on the keyboard, so I suppose I have to order one AZERTY keyboard in France and mail it to here...

Hiding the types on a keyboard to learn typing! I surely understand it may be frustrating... as well a good practice, but definitely not an option for me :rolleyes: too lazy for that!

Cheese,

Gobs