Cost Of Housing In Phuket

petercallen

Then there is my other nephew, he used to sell drugs to all the fishermen in Phang-Nga. They were provided by the police themselves. The cops were his silent partners. You think it is any different in Patong?

I am reliably informed the reggae bar on safari hill was in partnership with the Thin Brown line.

I remember one year (a long way back now) they got busted for selling mushrooms.. why ?? Cos they harvested them and didnt need to buy them.. Best put a stop to that !!

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RE: 'Logbags'

Which is why it cracks me up when so many people, refuse to stop comparing this place to the West. You need to go with the flow, adapt, accept this is not your country and things will never be the same here. That's the very reason this forum is full to the brim with whining and whinging. An inability to accept how things are done in a developing country, on the other side of the world to your own.

So you have no desire to see the island on which you live improve ?? You have no desire to see more equality, more rights, an improved environment, more scope for class mobility ??

Sorry.. but complaints are about improving a place.. If no one complained would any action (that didnt benefit a single digit % who have control) happen ??

Corruption puts a thick layer of costs on top of everything, it adds sand into the grease of every transaction, and in the end western efficient economies will end up undercutting this one while it gets no richer or trickle down effect for the majority of the population.

Edited by LivinLOS

madmitch said: "Very importantly, if the farang has purchased the land with his money and "given it as a gift" to his teerak, it can easily be construed that the Thai person is holding the land in proxy for the farang and this is illegal in Thailand. The possibility , albeit unlikely, of confiscation is there."

I'm interested to know why you think "it can easily be construed that the Thai person is holding the land in proxy for the farang".

Surely if someone gives another person a gift, that gift becomes that person's property, whether it's a box of chocolates in London, a car in New York or a property in Phuket?

The problem is, if you're married and you give your wife the land, you also give it to yourself. So it has to be proven you gave the land before the marriage officially started.

Yes, I realise this is the case if you give the land to your wife - but madmitch did not specify wife, he just said "teerak".

Edited by macahoom

Yes, I realise this is the case if you give the land to your wife - but madmitch did not specify wife, he just said "teerak".

That is why I said 'if you're married'. No idea about other situations though.

madmitch said: "Very importantly, if the farang has purchased the land with his money and "given it as a gift" to his teerak, it can easily be construed that the Thai person is holding the land in proxy for the farang and this is illegal in Thailand. The possibility , albeit unlikely, of confiscation is there."

I'm interested to know why you think "it can easily be construed that the Thai person is holding the land in proxy for the farang".

Surely if someone gives another person a gift, that gift becomes that person's property, whether it's a box of chocolates in London, a car in New York or a property in Phuket?

Do a search on here. It was a hot topic a year or so ago.

Oh dear, we have reached page 8 of a good discussion about house prices and now some members are taking us off track with stories/pictures from the 'old days'. Please stick to the original topic. If you want to talk about the 'old days' please open a new topic, thank you.

Two way off topic posts (and the remark that started it off) trying to start a new discussion about the 'old days' have been removed.

I also think NamKangMan has made some very good points, particularly with regard to the 30 year lease system. I made a similar comment on a thread some time back. We don't know what will happen. It's not been tested yet, but as a medium term investment surely it's a no-no. The property value must decrease as the lease gets shorter.

And as for the question about the risks involved, I'm surprised it was asked.

May I offer a few answers?

Mysterious disappearance, violent death, unexplained suicide;

Acrimonious split;

Pressure from the Thai family;

Very importantly, if the farang has purchased the land with his money and "given it as a gift" to his teerak, it can easily be construed that the Thai person is holding the land in proxy for the farang and this is illegal in Thailand. The possibility , albeit unlikely, of confiscation is there.

Good point. If the Thai owner of the land will not sign off on a new 30 year land lease, because you want to sell your property, your property must decrease in value, rapidly, with every year that passes out of your 30 year lease until you are basically left with nothing to sell.

In regards to risks involved in putting the land in your Thai girlfriend's/wife's name, and therefore instantly making her a wealth person by Thai standards, I agree that

the examples MadMitch put forward has happened. The "violent death" was very common in Pattaya a couple of years ago until they started arresting the Thai partners because it was getting out of hand. On a regualr basis farang were being shot in the head, by Thai's, for no apparent reason - not a robbery, not a disagrement, not road rage - just an assasination in public view. It would appear that "balcony jumping" may now be the prefered method of killing. I was told a couple of years ago, in Pattaya, the going price of "a hit" was 4000 baht. (I wasn't in the market - just curious) Life is cheap in Thailand.

One other way a lot of girls get rid of their farang, but kept his assets, without attracting such bad karma by killing him, was to set him up for a drug bust. Drugs would be found in his golf bag, gym bag etc etc. Of course, this was all set up by his girlfriend/wife by paying police.

As I have said, a farang can not own the land in their name, and you are not backed up by proper contract law and a fair and equitable judicial system in Thailand which, for me, makes it too risky to invest in property in Thailand. The examples MadMitch gave would not allow anyone a motive to "get rid of you" if the property was allowed to be in your name, with 100% freehold land ownership and your final will administered as per your instructions.

I hardly ever agree with the Iceman, it seems we have quite different views, but this time I do agree.

I do wonder though whether we'll see anything happening with the leases in the coming years. I think there are not many people that have leased land from an 'unkown' Thai. Mostly I think it will be in the name of the teerak or a company, either real or started specifically for the land ownership.

Myself and Stevenl have stouched many times on TV but I always read his posts, along with everyone else, and accept everyones different points of view, even if I disagree with them.

Things like pot holes in roads, cockroaches in restaurants, sewage smells etc etc don't worry me in the slightest. Systematic corruption by police and goverment officials. Monopolies like tuks-tuks and taxis etc and scams, frauds, rip offs, extortion etc are the things that I have been most vocal about on TV.

I know Thailand is a third world nation. I don't expect western world infastructure, legal standards, building standards, education standards, medical standards etc etc.

If I do something wrong, Eg: I crash into someone with my motorbike, I accept the consquences and pay to fix all the damage. However, if I am in Thailand and "in the right" if involved in an incident/accident, I don't expect to have the piss taken out of me for no other reason other than me being a farang, which happens all too often here.

The exposure to this can be for a small motorbike accident right up to a high value purchase of a property. Whether you are an expat or a tourist, there is just no safety for you at any level of transaction, accident or incident that you may be involved over here.

Good point. If the Thai owner of the land will not sign off on a new 30 year land lease, because you want to sell your property, your property must decrease in value, rapidly, with every year that passes out of your 30 year lease until you are basically left with nothing to sell.

In regards to risks involved in putting the land in your Thai girlfriend's/wife's name, and therefore instantly making her a wealth person by Thai standards, I agree that

the examples MadMitch put forward has happened. The "violent death" was very common in Pattaya a couple of years ago until they started arresting the Thai partners because it was getting out of hand. On a regualr basis farang were being shot in the head, by Thai's, for no apparent reason - not a robbery, not a disagrement, not road rage - just an assasination in public view. It would appear that "balcony jumping" may now be the prefered method of killing. I was told a couple of years ago, in Pattaya, the going price of "a hit" was 4000 baht. (I wasn't in the market - just curious) Life is cheap in Thailand.

One other way a lot of girls get rid of their farang, but kept his assets, without attracting such bad karma by killing him, was to set him up for a drug bust. Drugs would be found in his golf bag, gym bag etc etc. Of course, this was all set up by his girlfriend/wife by paying police.

As I have said, a farang can not own the land in their name, and you are not backed up by proper contract law and a fair and equitable judicial system in Thailand which, for me, makes it too risky to invest in property in Thailand. The examples MadMitch gave would not allow anyone a motive to "get rid of you" if the property was allowed to be in your name, with 100% freehold land ownership and your final will administered as per your instructions.

OK, so depending on the relationship you have with your long term partner, a gift would be the best option..

Regarding the killings, I do think they are a little far fetched, In other words unlikely. Not to say it hasn't happened.

I do wonder though whether we'll see anything happening with the leases in the coming years. I think there are not many people that have leased land from an 'unkown' Thai. Mostly I think it will be in the name of the teerak or a company, either real or started specifically for the land ownership.

Yes, it will for sure be very interesting to see how these '30 year extensions' will work out at the end of the initial 30 years. These 'extensions' are written as a civil contract/agreement and if the land owners refuses to extend or makes problems (like demanding a huge amount of money to register another 30 year lease at the land office) then the leasee will have to take the land owner through civil court and I can tell you that can take a very very long time.

It will be interesting to see if the lease holder, usually a farang, gets to stay in his own house while the matter is Court because the Thai Court system moves very slow.

The myth of Thailand being a peaceful Buddhist country is fantasy. Thailand has always had chronic violence, corruption and feudalism.

You must also remember the Chinese run Thailand and they do business with Chinese in Hong Kong, Singapore, the mainlaind and other Chinese worldwide. Half of Phuket is owned by Singapore money so I think the leases will hold up ok. Too many politicians are involved in partnerships funded by offshore money to rock the boat that hard.

Then there is the fact most politicians in Thailand are also of Chinese decent or funded by large family owned companies. Some have billions stashed offshore and own houses worldwide in some cases. Any blatant attempt to cheat foreigners with a law change could be met with a simliar threat by our own countries. Alternatively they could reveal the extent of Thai corruption as a face destroying measure. It could backfire badly on them if the true extent of their plundering ever got out. I'd love to know how much old Banharn has stashed away somewhere.

No, I doubt it would happen unless a zealot or real clean Thai politician ran on a platform of xenophobia against farangs buying up everything. Clean politicians don't exist in Thailand so they have too many skeletons in their own closets to upset investors.

Wikileaks could be interesting if it turned its attention to Thailand, Thaksin and co. Onething the old Chinese 'Jaaw pors' hate is publicity. They like to keep things quiet and hidden.

The Land Office Chief was recently quoted in an interview with a newspaper that we are not allowed to mention on TV as saying, "Keep Phuket land for Phuket people." If he is not happy with Phuket Thai's selling Phuket land to other Thai's, he's sure not happy about Phuket land being sold to farang. The xenophobia already exists. How far up the chain it goes is anyone's guess but it's yet another risk to buying property here.

That is why I said 'if you're married'. No idea about other situations though.

This is one of the situations that can change, more or less overnight, with the stroke of a pen. They just add "defacto" to the criteria which then makes a lot more land "illegal" for farang.

Sure, a bit drastic, but possible. This is Thialnd. (TIT)

We are talking about spending millions of baht with very little safety net around the purchase and transaction for farang.

If you were stupid enough to marry someone like that, then you've made your bed. You must be prepared to lie in it!

I always thought you had to sign documents, saying that the house was bought with money that had nothing to do with you. That way, you couldn't turn around and lay claim to it when the marriage went tits up.

OK, so depending on the relationship you have with your long term partner, a gift would be the best option..

Regarding the killings, I do think they are a little far fetched, In other words unlikely. Not to say it hasn't happened.

So, does that mean it could, or couldn't, happen to you?

Edited by NamKangMan

A lot of people keep whining about buying house/land here, why?? All of you guys keep saying you dont have anything, law could change tomorrow, have you ever heard about somebody have had his house confiscated?? Come on guys if you do it the right way i really cant see a problem buying a house and before you start i know you cant own land, so what. Also all you whiners about lease a house, have you ever seen a house 30 years old in Phuket, in the tourist spot i mean, as for lease i just look at it as a cheap way to rent a place long term, and you can even rent it out if you dont want to live there yourself, am i wrong in all this??? I have a bought house and a leased one, i really cant see a problem at all, but please let me know if i has been dumb buying and leasing :)

Edited by HDRIDER

If your wife has spent any time in your country, working, I'm sure she could say the house was bought with her own savings. I doubt anyone would ever need proof.

If not, like I said, I'm fairly sure you just have to sign papers, proving you aren't going to lay claim to the property in the future, because it's not yours to lay claim to.

If you were stupid enough to marry someone like that, then you've made your bed. You must be prepared to lie in it!

I always thought you had to sign documents, saying that the house was bought with money that had nothing to do with you. That way, you couldn't turn around and lay claim to it when the marriage went tits up.

I'm single and I still will not invest in property in Thailand.

The loop holes I mentioned in a previous post, what if a new law came into effect that your Thai Company must lodge the names, each year, of your Thai partners. (partners in the business sense - not the relationship sense) Those "letters" that you have been sitting on since you started the company will not work anymore and you go back to owning 49% of the land you paid 100% for. How is that a secure investment? It's all basd on trust, not legally binding contract/s.

Edited by NamKangMan

The loop holes I mentioned in a previous post, what if a new law came into effect that your Thai Company must lodge the names, each year, of your Thai partners. (partners in the business sense - not the relationship sense) Those "letters" that you have been sitting on since you started the company will not work anymore and you go back to owning 49% of the land you paid 100% for. How is that a secure investment? It's all basd on trust, not legally bind contract/s.

I agree. If I didn't have a family that can legally own property, I would never buy. I would be happy renting indefinately. When you buy property without it being in family members name, all you are doing pretty much, is paying 30 years rent in advance. Not for me.

A lot of people keep whining about buying house/land here, why?? All of you guys keep saying you don't have anything, law could change tomorrow, have you ever heard about somebody have had his house confiscated?? Come on guys if you do it the right way i really can't see a problem buying a house and before you start i know you can't own land, so what. Also all you whiners about lease a house, have you ever seen a house 30 years old in Phuket, in the tourist spot i mean, as for lease i just look at it as a cheap way to rent a place long term, and you can even rent it out if you dont want to live there yourself, am i wrong in all this??? I have a bought house and a leased one, i really cant see a problem at all, but please let me know if i has been dumb buying and leasing :)

The connection between a 30 year lease, because farang are not allowed to own land, and whether your purchase is a sound long term investment, is directly related but not the only risk mentioned here.

Purchase or rent - each to their own. I'm not whinging or whining. I chose to rent and I am just putting forward the reasons for my decision.

The loop holes I mentioned in a previous post, what if a new law came into effect that your Thai Company must lodge the names, each year, of your Thai partners. (partners in the business sense - not the relationship sense) Those "letters" that you have been sitting on since you started the company will not work anymore and you go back to owning 49% of the land you paid 100% for. How is that a secure investment? It's all basd on trust, not legally bind contract/s.

I agree. If I didn't have a family that can legally own property, I would never buy. I would be happy renting indefinately. When you buy property without it being in family members name, all you are doing pretty much, is paying 30 years rent in advance. Not for me.

That's pretty much it.

Problem is, divorce exists in Thailand as well. :) :)

I have heard a rumour you can put the property in your 50/50 Thai/farang kid's name. Does anyone know anything about this. Is it possible or just a rumour.

I have heard a rumour you can put the property in your 50/50 Thai/farang kid's name. Does anyone know anything about this. Is it possible or just a rumour.

Of course you can. It doesn't get you any closer to getting your mits on it mind. If I buy a house, it will be in my wifes name and have my 2 kids as beneficiaries if anything happened to her.

Scare mongers always go on about distant relatives coming in for the pickings like vultures! but the law isn't as poor as that as far as I know, wouldn't be a problem, just probably wouldn't be allowed to sell the house until the kids are 18 or something like that.

Possible, you can put it in anybody's name. But what would that gain you?

If you put it in your childs name.. The (presume mother) guardian is restricted from selling it on the childs behalf without demonstrating that its to the childs material gain / good reason for the childs benefit, not hers. Until the child is 18 and an adult when they can choose. The idea being I presume that you would have good relations with your child beyond a divorce when the wife may want the land for herself.

I am not sure on the details of this but have read comments to that effect online.. For what thats worth legally :) !!

Possible, you can put it in anybody's name. But what would that gain you?

If you put it in your childs name.. The (presume mother) guardian is restricted from selling it on the childs behalf without demonstrating that its to the childs material gain / good reason for the childs benefit, not hers. Until the child is 18 and an adult when they can choose. The idea being I presume that you would have good relations with your child beyond a divorce when the wife may want the land for herself.

I am not sure on the details of this but have read comments to that effect online.. For what thats worth legally :) !!

If I was to ever purchase property in Thailand, my idea would be, if possible, that my son or daughter would own the land. I would then lease the land off them for 30 years in the manner discussed in some of the posts in this thread. This would hopefully shield my asset from a possible marriage breakdown and loss of everything and, upon my death, it would be left to him/her/them anyway. This would have the benefit of giving me and the family a place to live and be an investment for my kid/s after I die.

I find it strange that Thai law would allow a baby to own land - after all, they can't even hold a pen and sign their name.

Also, the kid is not full Thai, so, an interesting question is, "How much Thai do you have to be to officially own land in Thailand?" What if my son/daughter married a farang and had kids? Those kids would be 25% or a quarter Thai, not 50% Thai - can they own land?

I am also thinking about the idea of "gifting" the land to the kid/s and how this would go at Thai law. Happy to hear from anyone who may know more about this subject than me. As I am still single, it's something I have had no need to research.

This is something I would have to look into and, of course, as mentioned before, this could change with a stoke of a pen by Thai Governemnt if/when more and more farang get onto the idea, so, I would still be apprehensive.

How many houses do you think is owned by Farangs just in Phuket??? a lot me think, i don’t even think the government want to get rid of them and give Thailand a bad name when it comes to buy houses, Farangs have owned houses forever here and i don’t think it will end, government is not that stupid :) if you play it right i cannot see any problems with owning a house here, still you can’t own land BUT there is more than 1 way around this, something i will keep quiet about :)

IMO if kids are listed on a house document then they are Thai as they will also have a birth certificate registered in Thailand. They are eligible for Thai passports & Thai ID card so I do not understand the argument about the Thai/farang thing.

My ex has a Phuket home in her name, paid for out of my earnings, & I never had a problem with that right from the start as I was comfortable with the fact it would eventually be her retirement package although as it stands now our 2 daughters will also benefit from any resale. I always had a nice place to live without any ongoing payments once it was paid off & happy those closest to me will have the same. I believe this is the principle on which the OP wished to purchase i.e. a nice home to live out his retirement which will go to his lady should she outlast him.

Also, the kid is not full Thai, so, an interesting question is, "How much Thai do you have to be to officially own land in Thailand?" What if my son/daughter married a farang and had kids? Those kids would be 25% or a quarter Thai, not 50% Thai - can they own land?

Doesnt matter what percentage.. If a child is born to a Thai parent here they get Thai citizenship. They are then 'fully' Thai.

I agree with HDrider theres many ways to skin this cat and its highly unlikely to see mass evictions.. However I personally dislike the 30 year lease (unless the land is owned by a loved one as an illegal nominee) as to me thats not ownership, its not getting the benefit of long term appreciation. Usufruct isnt bad, I quite like that as I dont have children to pass it to and so my lifetime is enough ;) tho it does violate my 'never be worth more dead than alive' rule..

Company ownership works, but additional costs, headaches and my guess is they wouldnt stop it but could easily ramp up taxation. To me that sounds like a very Thai way of doing things, simply charge the farangs more and more. Thats already showing up in increase land transfer taxes on company ownership so I would say thats the thai style of warning.

My ex has a Phuket home in her name, paid for out of my earnings...

...I believe this is the principle on which the OP wished to purchase i.e. a nice home to live out his retirement which will go to his lady should she outlast him.

I would guess thats exactly what many dont want.. To buy a house and then find the owner becomes an 'ex'..

I dont mind on a low value house.. if I broke up with my wife now I would make sure she ended up with a house, but it would probably be a different value one than one I wish to live in.

Doesnt matter what percentage.. If a child is born to a Thai parent here they get Thai citizenship. They are then 'fully' Thai.

I agree with HDrider theres many ways to skin this cat and its highly unlikely to see mass evictions.. However I personally dislike the 30 year lease (unless the land is owned by a loved one as an illegal nominee) as to me thats not ownership, its not getting the benefit of long term appreciation. Usufruct isnt bad, I quite like that as I dont have children to pass it to and so my lifetime is enough ;) tho it does violate my 'never be worth more dead than alive' rule..

Company ownership works, but additional costs, headaches and my guess is they wouldnt stop it but could easily ramp up taxation. To me that sounds like a very Thai way of doing things, simply charge the farangs more and more. Thats already showing up in increase land transfer taxes on company ownership so I would say thats the thai style of warning.

I don't think there will be police and land owners knocking on the doors to throw people out on the street as the end to the 30 year lease approaches . Like yourself, I also don't go much on the whole 30 year lease thing. It just can't be any sort of long term investment without the land being in your name and to put it in your girlfriend's/wife's name is also not desirable. I agree with you that, basically, the Thai land owner will make all the capital gain on the land, 30 years later, and the farang will be left with a tired looking 30 year old house that sits on that land.

I do tend to agree with you that the Thai's will raise the costs involved with having this form of property possession. Basically, lock the farang in for 30 years then ramp up the charges.

There doesn't appear to be any easy answers that offer the farang security, and gain on their investment, when it comes to property in Thailand.

My ex has a Phuket home in her name, paid for out of my earnings...

...I believe this is the principle on which the OP wished to purchase i.e. a nice home to live out his retirement which will go to his lady should she outlast him.

I would guess thats exactly what many dont want.. To buy a house and then find the owner becomes an 'ex'..

I dont mind on a low value house.. if I broke up with my wife now I would make sure she ended up with a house, but it would probably be a different value one than one I wish to live in.

Ummm, I wonder how many relationships ended once the property was bought in the girly's name? :)