Overstay Trip Report

H2oDunc

Greetings all. I recently returned from a trip to Penang with a friend who had a 3.5 year overstay. We were advised to exit via Phuket so flew from Samui to Phuket then to Penang with Firefly. After checking in we went to immigration to sort out the overstay. my friend was very nervous as he has been reading some of the stories on the internet about getting jailed. The guy at immigration wasn't concerned in the least. He simply told my friend he had to pay big money in fine. When it came to putting the number of days overstay he simply put down 700 days. He paid his 20,000c baht and we left. A lot of worry for nothing.In Penang my friend sorted out a 3 month visa for him which was free for 300 baht and a non B for me all in the same day as well.A good guy to know in Penang. All in all a very easy, uneventful visa run. As said the guy at immigration was totally non concerned so the scare stories are just that it seems. :D

It still don’t look good in your passport that you don’t live by Thai law,,,, i was told that 7 years ago and that was "only" 2 months overstay, have never done it again, also what KB say, if you have an accident you could be in big trouble, your illegal in Thailand

I would have been a totally different experience if he had to show his passport to the police in the event of a road accident, or, any other situation where the police would become involved.

I have had 4 road accidents here and never been required to show my passport.

I would have been a totally different experience if he had to show his passport to the police in the event of a road accident, or, any other situation where the police would become involved.

..........and what about this bit?

4 traffic accidents! You must be a minibus driver :rolleyes:

..........and what about this bit?

IS THIS GUY REAL...I DONT BELEIVE.....

got my extension 2 months ago at phuket immigration.. they had a recent holiday and i forgot to come in for 2-3 days.. was 4 or 5 days late.

They said next time i was going to jail and deported.. Usually they are very nice though. Immigration is getting cocky

Did you use an agent in Penang? did your friend get a tourist visa?

Thanks for the trip report

Hi, yes we used the agent I always use on Chulia street. My friend got a 3 month tourist visa which was free and nothing was said about the overstay. He got an official receipt for his money for the fine. We even got our visa the same day rather than the next so we could get back for Xmas. Getting stamped back into Thailand was a nightmare though due to the amount of people coming in. Nearly three hours in the queue.

Edited by H2oDunc

It still don't look good in your passport that you don't live by Thai law,,,, i was told that 7 years ago and that was "only" 2 months overstay, have never done it again, also what KB say, if you have an accident you could be in big trouble, your illegal in Thailand

That's right.

Immigration harassed me lately because of a few overstays in my passport dated back to 2006.

It's frowned upon because it's illegal.

Now i have a fresh new passport i intend on keeping it clean of overstay fines.

Try getting away with a few overstays in a western country and you'll find yourself on the blacklist in no time.

Edited by katasyd

Not quite the same as an overstay, but...

Over five years ago, I'd had a one year visa organised for me by a very kind, well intentioned Thai person who, unfortunately, didn't know, and therefore didn't inform me that I had to report to immigration every 90 days. I just assumed I had to renew after one year. Of course, it was entirely my fault for making such a basic mistake.

Anyway, about six or seven months later, someone pointed out to me that I was supposed to report to immigration every 90 days. With girlfriend in hand, I immediately headed up to immigration in Phuket Town where she very nicely explained my failure to report had been an innocent oversight/misunderstanding on my part.

Well, to my absolute surprise, the officer was all smiles, pointed out that the fine I was due to pay was just under 20,000 Baht, proceeded to let me go without paying a penny and said, “See you in 90 days.” Happy days!

Does anyone know if the overstay rule and fine applies to a child (under age 14) who has a valid One year multiple entry Education visa?

Parents have done 3 month visa runs and are valid but the child does not have a 3 month stamp as they have not done visa runs, has a valid Educational visa.

Not quite the same as an overstay, but...

Over five years ago, I'd had a one year visa organised for me by a very kind, well intentioned Thai person who, unfortunately, didn't know, and therefore didn't inform me that I had to report to immigration every 90 days. I just assumed I had to renew after one year. Of course, it was entirely my fault for making such a basic mistake.

Anyway, about six or seven months later, someone pointed out to me that I was supposed to report to immigration every 90 days. With girlfriend in hand, I immediately headed up to immigration in Phuket Town where she very nicely explained my failure to report had been an innocent oversight/misunderstanding on my part.

Well, to my absolute surprise, the officer was all smiles, pointed out that the fine I was due to pay was just under 20,000 Baht, proceeded to let me go without paying a penny and said, “See you in 90 days.” Happy days!

The 20.000 Baht maximum fine is not for the late reporting but for overstay.

The maximum fine for late reporting is ( i believe ) 2000 baht.

But from my experience Phuket Immigration also accepts 1000 Baht fine for late reporting if no receipt is required. ;)