The Samoeng Loop

jkfkr

Turns out several of my friends here in CM have never ridden the Samoeng Loop. I thought I'd better post a recommendation here too, so that more people might find this gem of a half-day trip (just under 100 km return from central Chiang Mai).

First I rode south on Canal Road for around 10 km from Huay Kaew Road. This is a dull bit until you come to the intersection where you turn right onto Road 1269.

The intersection:

20101224104051_241210-001.jpg

After a couple of kilometers things start getting interesting as you start ascending into the mountains:

20101224104223_241210-004.jpg

There are beautiful villages nested between the hills. I don't know if this is some sort of hippie retreat or what. Didn't look like a regular village to me:

20101224104344_241210-008.jpg

Finding the petrol station in Samoeng was trickier than I thought. You'd think it would be located centrally, but you'd be very wrong. When you get to the big intersection, take a right and ride along for a couple of kilometers. Don't get worried even when it starts looking like the countryside, it's out there on your left.

20101224105029_241210-012.jpg

To come back to Chiang Mai, you have to return the way you came for maybe 4-5 km, and then you continue upwards still on Road 1096 until you come to Mae Rim. There you just turn right and ride into CM again.

There are some stunning views along the way:

20101224105556_241210-016.jpg

But unfortunately I didn't see any elephants:

20101224110221_241210-019.jpg

All in all the trip took me 3,5 hours on my Scoopy, including looking for the petrol station for what felt like ages and the Kodak moments. If you don't stop, it can probably be done in 2,5 hours pretty easily on a scooter.

If you are in Chiang Mai, have a motorcycle, and have a couple of hours to spare, do this trip. I'd dare say that it's even better than the ride to Pai, which also is a marvellous trip.

Anyone else have any good recommendations for half day or full day motorcycle trips from Chiang Mai?

jkfkr... Nice pics! This December has been very clear and you can sure see it from your pics.

As for more rides, check out www.gt-rider.com, and pick up a few of their red-yellow maps at bookstores. The fellow that makes the maps and runs the tours has really opened up Thailand for a lot of us. One ride you might consider if you want an incredible one is to go up to Doi Angkhan via Arunothai. The route follows a ridge with stunning peaks in view the whole time.

I just did this the other day on my ER6N but as the roads are so great I was going too fast to check out the scenery.. Always good to pull into the X center on the way back for a beer and chat with the friendly locals there.

You can also extend it (if anti clockwise as in this example) by going out from Mae Rim instead of on the 1096 but up along the stream to the north, past Wat Khri banpot, way up high into the hills, past the hmong lodge and out to samoeng nuea..

Not high speed biking roads but lovely up there. Later this spring I am going to use a dirtbike and try to get over to MHS without taking the main routes.. Might have a crack at the Mae Wang to Samoeng today.. hmmm..

Hi Folks. I've just been on the same run this morning with a mate.

QUICK TRIP REPORT

# Started at 07:30 in the clockwise direction.

# Took our time, and was back in CM for around 13:00 hrs

# Stopped for Khao Soi Gai (chicken), in Samoeng - 30 Baht

# Had a coffee at the country Wawee Mai Rim before hitting that awful road back home.

THE TRANSPORT

# Trip done on 1 Honda Wave 125cc, & 1 Honda Dream 125cc

# Used around half a tank of fuel, which for these bikes is about 50 Baht total (give or take a few Baht).

# Both these small bikes can cruise the Samoeng Loop pretty effortlessly. However, if you can park your arse on a nice 400cc or above, trips like this are all the more enjoyable).

Anyway, for those interested, here are a few random snaps taken around the route today on a mobile camera:

Samoeng-view1.gif

view-Samoeng-temple.gif

Samoeng-view2.gif

Small-Temple-Samoeng.gif

Small-Temple-Samoeng2.gif

Samoeng-view3.gif

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

Another interesting and lightly traveled route that meanders through plenty of undeveloped country side, and close to Chiang Mai, is the route past the flight of the Gibbon and the 1252 Chae Son road.

Take the 1317, Mahidol Rd, out to Mae On and follow the directions to the Flight of the Gibbon. Continue past and climb up to a scenic mountain pass (caution, the paved road is steep) and continue over until you connect with the 1252. Road numbers change often in this connection, but it's easy to find; I've never needed my GPS. Turn north on the 1252 and enjoy another long stretch of mountain roads until the 118 (the Chiang Mai - Chiang Rai road).

This is a wonderful route; you see such little development for long distances, we also enjoy bicycling this area, trucking the bikes out to the waterfall just further along the road from the flight of the Gibbon, the road surface isn't as clean as the Samoeng loop and with the such long stretches of uninterrupted twisties is perfect for small bikes, not so much for 4 wheeled and large moto, petrol stations are not available on the isolated stretches.

Maybe a early morning ride out there is required soon to map tracks and route numbers better. I always enjoy company for a early morning ride, and breakfast is always on me for the days riders who join us. Pretty much a bribe because leaving a ~7 am doesn't always bring a large group.

Cheers

Another interesting and lightly traveled route that meanders through plenty of undeveloped country side, and close to Chiang Mai, is the route past the flight of the Gibbon and the 1252 Chae Son road.

Take the 1317, Mahidol Rd, out to Mae On and follow the directions to the Flight of the Gibbon. Continue past and climb up to a scenic mountain pass (caution, the paved road is steep) and continue over until you connect with the 1252. Road numbers change often in this connection, but it's easy to find; I've never needed my GPS. Turn north on the 1252 and enjoy another long stretch of mountain roads until the 118 (the Chiang Mai - Chiang Rai road).

This is a wonderful route; you see such little development for long distances, we also enjoy bicycling this area, trucking the bikes out to the waterfall just further along the road from the flight of the Gibbon, the road surface isn't as clean as the Samoeng loop and with the such long stretches of uninterrupted twisties is perfect for small bikes, not so much for 4 wheeled and large moto, petrol stations are not available on the isolated stretches.

Maybe a early morning ride out there is required soon to map tracks and route numbers better. I always enjoy company for a early morning ride, and breakfast is always on me for the days riders who join us. Pretty much a bribe because leaving a ~7 am doesn't always bring a large group.

Cheers

I park at the hot springs and bicycle around there too, have you rode the Samoeng loop?

Is there any difference in the ease/difficulty of the loop between clockwise & anti-clockwise - on a bicycle ?

This may not help much. Some of us prefer clockwise while others prefer counter-clockwise. It's personal choice. I prefer a long flat warmup and then do the long steady climbs first and the steeper ones at the end so I prefer counter-clockwise. Others prefer doing the steeper climbs early when they are fresher so they go clockwise.

A bunch of us are doing the bigger Samoeng loop tomorrow by going via the Hmong Lodge, counter-clockwise. Clockwise is definitely harder because of the long, extremely steep climb up to the Hmong Lodge from Samoeng.

Is there any difference in the ease/difficulty of the loop between clockwise & anti-clockwise - on a bicycle ?

I like it better counter clockwise. for me it seems to go faster... fun to ride it both ways though because it keeps it fresh.

It helps psychologically to ride out and back halfway a few times to get to know where the big efforts are.

If your riding road bike then it's a reasonable but hard ride . On a mountain bike it's semi heroic.

Your legs are going to be blasted either way.

Perfect time of year to ride... Today up above Doi Pui it was cold in the middle of the day.

Enjoy

You can also extend it (if anti clockwise as in this example) by going out from Mae Rim instead of on the 1096 but up along the stream to the north, past Wat Khri banpot, way up high into the hills, past the hmong lodge and out to samoeng nuea..

Not high speed biking roads but lovely up there. Later this spring I am going to use a dirtbike and try to get over to MHS without taking the main routes.. Might have a crack at the Mae Wang to Samoeng today.. hmmm..

Since you were still typing at noon today, I'd be mighty surprised if you could do the Mae Wang - Samoeng route today without finishing well after dark. There was a long thread last winter about a bunch of guys who did that on ordinary scooters. They took over 8 hours, although they took a small detour to Huai Cho on the way to Mae Wang.

If you do make it out on the loop, please report back with the current road conditions. Ten of us did it on bicycles last winter, some on mountain bikes and some on road bikes, but neither bike was right for this loop. Too long for an MTB and too much bad road for a road bike.

I park at the hot springs and bicycle around there too, have you rode the Samoeng loop?

Yes, but not since march of last year - slowing building back up to that.

I to prefer the counter clockwise direction also, though we cheat and have drop off from Mae Rim to pick up from the Canal road Hang Dong intersection.

Clockwise defo easier on a treader.

I agree with jackr. The steep switch backs going CCW are a killer even with my low MTB gearing. Clockwise is better too because you can stop at the Pong Yang Resort for a nice lunch by the waterfall before down-hilling back to CM.

post-498-0-30331300-1293592273_thumb.jpg

My 100cc motorcycle can only do clockwise because of that winding steep bit south of Samoeng. No steep uphills if you go this way, can even do it with a passenger, I think the worst bit is when leaving Samoeng to go back to the loop itself. The downhill could be really nasty when raining. As my wrists are not very strong to hold on, the unfortunate passenger needs to walk down a few hundred metres, to be safe.

I agree with jackr. The steep switch backs going CCW are a killer even with my low MTB gearing. Clockwise is better too because you can stop at the Pong Yang Resort for a nice lunch by the waterfall before down-hilling back to CM.

I'd rather get a steep slog outta of the way in one big push; or in my case walking the bike for some sections - just like I did when I was younger than 10-11 and now over 40 and slightly broken.

Edit, my family has today left for bicycle exploring of Mae Chaem. If she returns with some good pictures I'll be sure to post some.

'Treader', never heard of that name for a bike or do you mean hiking?

Edited by Fishenough

• 2 weeks later...

Rode the Samoeng Loop clockwise this morning on my KLX. Departed at 08:30hrs and arrived home at 11:00hrs. Should have worn a jacket as the first half an hour or so was pretty cold, thats a first for me on a bike.

What some wonderful scenery, couldn't help but stop every 10 minutes to take some photos. The road was awesome, although not so great on knobblies. Will have to get some 17's on with some proper road rubber and have another go.

A great morning ride, off for some lunch now.

Cheers

TT

<a%20href=5337653149_5c9c206164.jpg">

<a%20href=5338263156_0ae7733e99.jpg">

<a%20href=5338261096_811ec39772.jpg">

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone interested here is the Samoeng loop route elevation (clockwise). Definitely looks easier in a clockwise direction for cyclists.

<a%20href=5338686490_fa210ccd1b_b.jpg">

Hey, you should do a plot of the road past Mae Kampong as it is really steep. Take HWY 1317 East out of Chiang Mai, then turn toward Flight of the Gibbon. Go through Mae Kampong and keep going up. Very steep. Once over the pass you can end up at a secluded hot spring where you can rent a hot pool room or tent camp. A great area and your next step after Sameong. Several stream crossings and good road all the way.