Pork Roast

Tywais

The family and I always have Christmas dinner at the house. Usually I bake pork loin but usually already sliced 2-3 cm as that is what is available. Never seem to have enough as it goes over big with the family. Came across a large pork loin, 1.4 kg, and decided to give it a try.

I have a table top oven, much larger then the standard toaster oven. It has a drip pan but I had no roasting rack so made my own from an old wire bbq basket. Just cut it apart and used one half and placed in the pan.

post-566-0-83248200-1293436784_thumb.jpg

post-566-0-29138500-1293436826_thumb.jpg

The pork loin in package.

post-566-0-94557100-1293436860_thumb.jpg

After sitting the loin out to reach room temperature I coated it with a thin layer of butter then mixed the spices in a small bowl and rubbed it all over the roast.

post-566-0-51287600-1293436981_thumb.jpg

Cooked for 15 minutes at 250 degrees C to brown it then for 1 hour at 165 degrees.

post-566-0-29004200-1293437044_thumb.jpg

This is the oven, brand Otto.

post-566-0-13871000-1293437079_thumb.jpg

The spread - the roast was a success based on how fast it went. ;)

post-566-0-23892800-1293437134_thumb.jpg

I quite often want to cook a roast dinner and I even have a leg of lamb in the freezer.

My problem is that though my wife would probably eat some nobody else would and it seems a waste to make a whole roast dinner.

I have a convection oven That I bought a few years ago and it is just sitting up in the kitchen doing nothing.

Edited by billd766

I quite often want to cook a roast dinner and I even have a leg of lamb in the freezer.

My problem is that though my wife would probably eat some nobody else would and it seems a waste to make a whole roast dinner.

I have a convection oven That I bought a few years ago and it is just sitting up in the kitchen doing nothing.

I like my pork loin roasts as well, the left overs don't go to waste. From left over roast, slice thinly and warm up, warm up some of the left over gravy in a dipping bowl. Put the sliced pork on a french bread roll and dip your sandwich in the gravy. ( ala French Dip sandwich ). :thumbsup:

yeah, tywais, I see that one...I often buy a pork loin and then roast in whatever device is available...regular oven when at home in suphan and in VN where I'm presently working in the microwave...last time was a 0.8 kilo piece slathered with dijon on a high setting for 20 mins...if there is double cream available add to the drippings for a sauce that is sublime...unfortunately can't get no dbbl cream in rural vietnam...

the 0.8 kilo was too big for me alone so I gave some away to some colleagues...they are used to eating mostly rice and noodles and one grizzled type who had not had decent food in months later clutched at my clothing and was incoherent...:D

Pork roasts are probably the easiest of all roasts to make. The meat takes well to roasting, and the quality of the pork in Thailand is fine. I like loin, but for roasting, I actually like shoulder or even the neck meat better as it retains more moisture.

Additionally, in Thailand, far more people will help devour a pork roast than a lamb or beef. I have never found a lack of people who want t chomp down on one, or who would happily eat the leftovers until there is only an empty plate sitting there looking at you.

My g/f doesn't eat beef, so I have even adjusted two of my favorite beef dishes, bourguignon and pot roast, to pork, and they both work out quite well.

Tywais, your roast looks great. And evidently it tasted great, too! Wish you had saved me a bit. :)

Tywais, your roast looks great. And evidently it tasted great, too! Wish you had saved me a bit. :)

I have to admit how easy it was and was surprised how well it came out. It was tender but just a little bit drier then I would have liked and that was probably from cooking it a bit too long. One of the sister-in-laws turned the switch on the power strip off by accident while trying to turn on the one for the hot water pot so had to guess about the time remaining. <_<:D

Same here, no one in the family eats beef so at least my steaks/burgers are safe.

The roast pork looked wonderful. I could almost smell it from Australia.

But, it's not a roast dinner unless you have all the roast vegetables to go with it.....especially pumpkin and sweet potato. Is it only we Aussies that love roast pumpkin?

I like the pumpkin but would prefer normal potatoes to the sweet ones - plus a little homemade apple sauce, broiled onions and tomatoes

But, it's not a roast dinner unless you have all the roast vegetables to go with it.....especially pumpkin and sweet potato. Is it only we Aussies that love roast pumpkin?

I like the pumpkin but would prefer normal potatoes to the sweet ones - plus a little homemade apple sauce, broiled onions and tomatoes

The sweet potato is in addition to normal roasted potatoes. :)

The sweet potato is in addition to normal roasted potatoes. :)

No worries mate, with the pumpkin and the sweet pototoes I am sure there is enough gas to go around :lol:

a good trick to keep it moist is to sear it first (all sides) in a frying pan then put it in your oven as described above.

I looked up quite a few methods and that was one of them. Problem is I have no flat frying pan/skillet only rounded bottom wok styles. :D

I also saw something about brining the pork first but was skeptical about how salty that would make it.

a good trick to keep it moist is to sear it first (all sides) in a frying pan then put it in your oven as described above.

I looked up quite a few methods and that was one of them. Problem is I have no flat frying pan/skillet only rounded bottom wok styles. :D

I also saw something about brining the pork first but was skeptical about how salty that would make it.

well, I guess you could always borrow Bonobo's creme brulet torch :lol: