Non-Imm "O", Family And/Or Visiting Friends?

Retirement visa = no work

Visiting friends = Work Permit

Both reasons will result in a non-O visa. There are many reasons why one gets a non-O visa and the reason for the visa is not stated. Only when you get an extension of stay is the reason for the extension of stay stated. Untill he gets an extension of stay bsed on retirement he can get a work permit and an extension of stay based on employement.

Pray tell what is not true?

That u need a work permit to work?

that u need a type B visa to get a work permit"

any of the info that i quoted form the thai website concerning issuing Non Immigrant visas??

Everyone i know and have known for 20+ years that works in thailand has a type B visa and a work permit.

This inculdes teachers, Hotel/ GH owners, real estate agents, club owners, restaurant owners, dive shop owners/dive masters etc etc.

If i am wrong and u can prove it I stand corrected.

that u need a type B visa to get a work permit"

That is false - as we have pointed out.

There are hundreds of people supporting Thai wives who have work permits and have never had a non immigrant B visa or extension of stay for work. They obtained there work permit with a non immigrant O visa entry or extension of stay from such an entry.

Re IMA_Farang and Steve 187, applying to Hull to "visit friends",

IMA, you made a personal visit so that might make a difference . I would have to mail my application either from here with my US passport or from Ireland with my Irish passport. Anyone ever applied to Hull from outside the UK?

As you also mentioned, staff there told you that they were under pressure to tighten up the rules. I had planned on going to Thailand in June or July next year. A lot of things may have changed by that time.

IF your over 50 u can get a single entry and then once your in Thailand go to the US embassy and get a letter saying you have an income of more than 65,000 baht/month. then go to imigration and get a one year extension.

Please advise if this is Houston you are referring to and what period the single entry covers based on being over 50. 90 days? And what type of visa?

Thanks!

I came here 6 years ago on a 30 day exemtion stamp. Then converted it in two steps to a retirement visa, that took about an hour. I was not asked for any medical records or police clearance and they were happy with copies of my bank statements as proof of income. Since then I have stuck 800+ K Bhaht in a Thai bank and all I produce each year is a latter from the bank manager and one from my local obadhor.

I think it all boils down to pot luck.

I am not sure I follow the reasoning on the retirement visa. Don't I have to provide B800,000 in a Thai bank in order to qualify for a retirement visa? As I mentioned in a prior post, this is not an option for me - do not have the funds.

Not necessarly !