Good Luck With Cm Immigration Yesterday

orang37

Sawasdee Khurp, TV CM Friends,

Went to CM Immigration yesterday PM to get one month's extension. Very happy to see I was not charged an overstay of at least one day, since the first entry of the double entry visa expired on Dec. 25. (fyi: second entry not activated yet)

In spite of the office being extremely crowded, everything seemed to go very smoothly.

But (first time experience) my departure card had disappeared. After a slightly stern lecture from one of the older men on the service desk through which we kept constantly calm, and saying we were sorry, he finally just said: "go to airport when you leave country." Application accepted, out of there with one month extension granted in under one hour.

Knowing we may have to make a trip the US on short notice in January or February, we did NOT wish to leave to the last minute any chance of getting into some kind of hassle at the airport because our Departure card was missing: that way, we believe, lies madness.

So, went immediately to the Airport Immigration office. Extremely friendly Thai officer there listened to our story, and gave us a new departure card with no hassle.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Good to hear a story on a positive note. Keeping calm has it's rewards.

I also had a pleasant experience with immigration this past wednesday. I got there at 7:20, took a queue card, and by the time they officially opened for business at 8:30 I was processed and on my way by 8:45. Only 15 minutes after they started and the place was packed, standing room only. I had a big smile as I "kah tord khrap" through the crowd out the door.:)

I had my first bad experience there on the 20th of this month. I got there at 12:45 and when they turned the computer (which had been moved to the back right corner for some reason) on again at 13:00 to get a queue card , there was absolute chaos with people reaching over each other from all different directions to get a number. People began to panic, pushing each other and some were shouting. Even though I was one of the first 5 to get a queue card, I was number 684 and they were calling 603 at 13:00. I was only there for my 90-day report. I left for 2 hours and 20 minutes to go to Airport Plaza. When I returned I had to wait another hour and 20 minutes before my number was called. So 3 hours, 40 minutes for a 90 day.

I noticed that some people were making their 90 day 'appearance' by way of an agent. I didn't think this was possible??? I observed as I was standing by the counter waiting that there were 2 girls with briefcases full of passports and other documents. When Immigration called a number, each girl processed about ten 90-day reports per number. I noticed that one girl had mostly Chinese passports as well as passports for other Asians while the other had mostly Burmese documents.

I had my first bad experience there on the 20th of this month. I got there at 12:45 and when they turned the computer (which had been moved to the back right corner for some reason) on again at 13:00 to get a queue card , there was absolute chaos with people reaching over each other from all different directions to get a number. People began to panic, pushing each other and some were shouting. Even though I was one of the first 5 to get a queue card, I was number 684 and they were calling 603 at 13:00. I was only there for my 90-day report. I left for 2 hours and 20 minutes to go to Airport Plaza. When I returned I had to wait another hour and 20 minutes before my number was called. So 3 hours, 40 minutes for a 90 day.

I noticed that some people were making their 90 day 'appearance' by way of an agent. I didn't think this was possible??? I observed as I was standing by the counter waiting that there were 2 girls with briefcases full of passports and other documents. When Immigration called a number, each girl processed about ten 90-day reports per number. I noticed that one girl had mostly Chinese passports as well as passports for other Asians while the other had mostly Burmese documents.

Probably just absolutely too much to ask CM Immigration to learn / set up the process exhibited by Pattaya / Jomtien Immigration. 90 day in & out in minutes. I've read that for retirement renewal they take your paperwork & you return the next day to sign / pickup. Are there justifiable reasons CM cannot do the same? Or is it just too steep a learning curve for CM?

I never make a personal appearance for my 90 day reporting. Normally my wife does it or of she is busy then someone from my lawyers/accounts office does it.

I got there last Thursday about 8:00. I was there for my 90 day check in on my retirement visa. The wife sat close to the number dispenser and got 510. I ordered a shake they called my number I got my extension went and sat down to finish my shake and left at 9:15. They were then processing #525.

Kinda of upsetting I had brought a book and we were planning on going to the mall afterwords.:D

As I look back on it I see that there was not two people ahead of me for 200 other people. That would be a hang up. I know one fellow claims he mails them. More fath than I have in the postal system.

Thank you, Khun "Strange Beast," for posting your comments about your experience recently at Chiang Mai Immigration.

I was at the office today with a friend. Happened to be a 30-day extension for a tourist visa. Finished in 30 minutes.

I have never had a problem at the Chiang Mai Immigration over a number of years.

Over the years, I have seen that office consistently improve the way it handles an ever increasing number of people from who knows how many different countries speaking how many different languages while insisting the Thai clerk on the other side of the counter speak the same language! Many of these people obviously haven't an ounce of common sense or evince a modicum of polite behavior.