Driver Of Sedan In Bangkok Horror Road Accident Was A 16-Year Old Girl

webfact

It's ridiculous, this idea that sending this child to prison could somehow be...productive.

Just to clarify as you have quoted my post, where in it does it suggest that I am suggesting incarceration, or the benefits of such?The point really being is, will there be the usual dual standard application of the law as there was with Moo Ham?

Your last sentence again suggests that something was said, that wasn't written by me - In the end this topic is not about the rights and wrongs of incarceration, it is about seeing that justice is seen. My own feeling, is that it wont anyway - as seen by recent incidents such as Moo Ham, Santika...

If you understood what "the full limit" (which you demand she be punished with) actually consisted of, you'd understand why I - correctly - referenced your demands she be incarcerated. Perhaps, if I may be so bold, you might first check what "the full limits" actually are before you demand they be expressly applied to a terrified child, next time?

In the end, this topic is about productive v counter-productive / outright destructive responses to the tragedy. It is my opinion you are calling for the latter. Nothing positive or productive is served by sending a terrified child to prison for a tragic mistake whilst driving an automobile. Why do you believe justice requires retribution in this form?

Wouldn't justice be best served by the nation learning a lesson about seatbelts, the dangers of tailgating, the unacceptability of underaged driving, etc?

Nah. Let's just throw a child in prison instead! She can wear our frustrations at perceived injustices in the judicial process. Because that's fair. sigh.

The topic, or my take on it is a lot about the response of what Thais have been saying online...

The cult of celebrity and the hijacking of discussions like this by those with agendas and axes to grind pretty much precludes the possibility that the overall voice is going one of wisdom.

There are tens of thousands of teenage daughters currently dicing with danger / death after having been effectively brainwashed into (shortened) lives; working in the sex industry to support extended families back in their villages. Is it really the sense of 'injustice' that has so many Thais outraged at this 16 yr old girl? There just seems so many far more pressing injustices which are ahead in the cue. So many other tragic deaths which aren't generating appropriate levels of outrage. Don't you think?

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"As for the accident.. our daughter admits she was speeding! She was rushing to return the car to her friend. It wasn't our car. I have never allowed her to drive outside like that. (As for the details of which car was in which lane, that is a police matter.) After the crash, she was trapped in the car. Once rescue workers pulled her out, since window glass had pierced her bottom she couldn't sit down. So she leaned there on the side of the road. Police asked to see her license and insurance. She is certainly in the wrong for being 16 and having no license. She wrote to her friend on her Blackberry to inform the friend about the accident and to ask about the car's insurance details. She wasn't standing around chatting on the Blackberry as some have thought."

Did not mention anything about a third car.

The odds are high that she was at least mostly responsible for the accident but it also is clear from the above the mother wasn't going to get into the details of the accident "As for the details of which car was in which lane, that is a police matter." However, the family (if these quotes are true) seem to be indicating they are holding the daughter responsible for the accident.

Quotes were taken from earlier pages in this topic... you'll have to go thru the pages to find it... but I'm guessing it's the translation from Thai version. From the stories I heard (3 person perspective) the parents finally spoke out to help "ease" the public perception of the situation. And based on those quotes (it's part of a letter) it seems that the parents are infact holding their kid accountable. It looks like they are trying to ease the public that their entire family are not what the public "perceived" to be. In the Thai forums, they are bashing their entire family as bastard hi-so's with disregard for life... that tpye of attitude is spreading like wild-fire.

Just imagine what you would do if your kid got into this incident...

Anyhow... just my 2 cents... by the way... that crappy CCTV camera footage that is floating around the internet is utter garbage as a form of investigation.. it's better than nothing.. but almost no better than nothing. I'm betting that the actual high quality footage is some where locked up.

Also, the picture of the kid standing up holding a device in the hand... Guess what guys.. that's all I see.. a kid, standing up holding a device... How the hell would anyone know what that person is doing with that device?!

simmer down now... simmer down.

Some of my friends went to juvenile detention centers for stupid decisions they made that got people killed. It was not intentional and they were all children as you say. They got a great lesson in life and it benefited them as responsible adults.

You will have to take my word for it (well, my word and the results of every possible legitimate study conducted, and common sense) when I tell you that your adoration of the benefits of juvenile detention centres is a peculiar distortion from the reality. I fear you might be suffering from sample sizing issues.

If one is capable of learning any 'lesson' that can be learned (what lesson, exactly? "my parents are irresponsible, just like 98% of parents in the world"...is that the lesson she should learn?), there is no logic in the suggestion that they would learn this lesson 'better' whilst incarcerated with the mentally ill and violent types which tend to populate remand centres.

If one is incapable of learning the 'lesson', there is likely no worse place to send them. They will not be coming out of their detention a 'better' person.

Basically, there's no logic in your arguments which call for retribution directed at one of the victims. You're under the impression that there is, but there is never any sense to "(intentional) eye for (accidental) eye". Ever. Eye for an eye retribution doesn't deter the loss of eyes. It's certainly not going to save the eyes that are lost due to ignorance of the genuine issues you should be emotional about, instead. An argument can be made that anyone who wants 'vengeance' rather than the removal or addressing of the contributing variables which caused the loss of life...is partly to blame for future accidents. It would be a pretty strong argument, in my opinion.

It's ridiculous, this idea that sending this child to prison could somehow be...productive.

Just to clarify as you have quoted my post, where in it does it suggest that I am suggesting incarceration, or the benefits of such?The point really being is, will there be the usual dual standard application of the law as there was with Moo Ham?

Your last sentence again suggests that something was said, that wasn't written by me - In the end this topic is not about the rights and wrongs of incarceration, it is about seeing that justice is seen. My own feeling, is that it wont anyway - as seen by recent incidents such as Moo Ham, Santika...

If you understood what "the full limit" (which you demand she be punished with) actually consisted of, you'd understand why I - correctly - referenced your demands she be incarcerated. Perhaps, if I may be so bold, you might first check what "the full limits" actually are before you demand they be expressly applied to a terrified child, next time?

In the end, this topic is about productive v counter-productive / outright destructive responses to the tragedy. It is my opinion you are calling for the latter. Nothing positive or productive is served by sending a terrified child to prison for a tragic mistake whilst driving an automobile. Why do you believe justice requires retribution in this form?

Wouldn't justice be best served by the nation learning a lesson about seatbelts, the dangers of tailgating, the unacceptability of underaged driving, etc?

Nah. Let's just throw a child in prison instead! She can wear our frustrations at perceived injustices in the judicial process. Because that's fair. sigh.

The topic, or my take on it is a lot about the response of what Thais have been saying online...

The cult of celebrity and the hijacking of discussions like this by those with agendas and axes to grind pretty much precludes the possibility that the overall voice is going one of wisdom.

There are tens of thousands of teenage daughters currently dicing with danger / death after having been effectively brainwashed into (shortened) lives; working in the sex industry to support extended families back in their villages. Is it really the sense of 'injustice' that has so many Thais outraged at this 16 yr old girl? There just seems so many far more pressing injustices which are ahead in the cue. So many other tragic deaths which aren't generating appropriate levels of outrage. Don't you think?

I personally think you are talking <deleted> and you don't understand the underlying way Thailand works. Under age driving, no problem, pay the BiB, kill some one, no problem, we are rich, pay the BiB. WAKE UP. :rolleyes:

Statistics show time and time again that locking up non-violent minors has a much less success rate at rehabilitation than other methods of help. The laws in this country and many others are geared to rehabilitate a minor and not to punish or set an example or make victims or the hang-em high crowd happy. I have no idea if this girl caused the accident and no rational person can be sure of this at this point especially given all the emotionally charged misinformation being spread out there regarding this tragedy. But assuming she did, through carelessness or mistake cause this accident and not through drugs or drinking, there would be no reason under the law to lock her up unless there was a likely hood she would re-offend or posed a danger to others. If she has a good, safe and responsible family to watch over her and continue to both help her through and understand the results of her decisions. Even if this was an adult in this situation, where I understand could serve 3-years in jail for such a crime, it is unlikely they would do any time if it was their first offense and their was not extenuating circumstances involved such as drinking or drugs or driving at an incredibly (reckless) high rate of speed as opposed to typical speeding.

If one is capable of learning any 'lesson' that can be learned (what lesson, exactly? "my parents are irresponsible, just like 98% of parents in the world"...is that the lesson she should learn?), there is no logic in the suggestion that they would learn this lesson 'better' whilst incarcerated with the mentally ill and violent types which tend to populate remand centres.

What they learn is that you do something horrible, you face horrible consequences. They learn to accept responsibility for what they have done. They get the value of a period of atonement, where they can come to grips with the horror that they have inflicted on society, and society can feel that some amount of penance has been performed. There is a grieving process that must be completed, and this is a period of incarceration is an excellent way for that to occur, with the guilty party given all the time they need to reflect on their poor behavior in extremely unpleasant surroundings.

You are incorrect that simply being "sorry" is enough, or saying that they've "learned a lesson" is enough. There is a very real need to fit a punishment to a crime, and for the perpetrator to willingly accept that they did wrong and earned said punishment. Whether they show contrition or not may simply affect the severity of the punishment.

The lesson learned is that all actions have consequences, even those that are unintentional, and that such consequences can not be avoided after the fact. She needs to accept the consequences. The people I know who did, came out better people for it with a vow never to repeat their transgressions. They grew up fast, as this girl needs to. She has to deal with the fact that she killed people. It's not a small thing. 16 year old girls are more than capable of learning this lesson and coming out more responsible people for it.

What they learn is that you do something horrible, you face horrible consequences. They learn to accept responsibility for what they have done. They get the value of a period of atonement, where they can come to grips with the horror that they have inflicted on society, and society can feel that some amount of penance has been performed. There is a grieving process that must be completed, and this is a period of incarceration is an excellent way for that to occur, with the guilty party given all the time they need to reflect on their poor behavior in extremely unpleasant surroundings.

You are incorrect that simply being "sorry" is enough, or saying that they've "learned a lesson" is enough. There is a very real need to fit a punishment to a crime, and for the perpetrator to willingly accept that they did wrong and earned said punishment. Whether they show contrition or not may simply affect the severity of the punishment.

The lesson learned is that all actions have consequences, even those that are unintentional, and that such consequences can not be avoided after the fact. She needs to accept the consequences. The people I know who did, came out better people for it with a vow never to repeat their transgressions. They grew up fast, as this girl needs to. She has to deal with the fact that she killed people. It's not a small thing. 16 year old girls are more than capable of learning this lesson and coming out more responsible people for it.

Maybe your friends needed incarceration but not everybody who makes a mistake needs such an experience to accomplish the things you mention. Do you have any idea what the rate is for a minor to become a re-offender if they are locked up as opposed to being offered other options such as counseling, community service etc?

Basically, there's no logic in your arguments which call for retribution directed at one of the victims. You're under the impression that there is, but there is never any sense to "(intentional) eye for (accidental) eye". Ever. Eye for an eye retribution doesn't deter the loss of eyes. It's certainly not going to save the eyes that are lost due to ignorance of the genuine issues you should be emotional about, instead. An argument can be made that anyone who wants 'vengeance' rather than the removal or addressing of the contributing variables which caused the loss of life...is partly to blame for future accidents. It would be a pretty strong argument, in my opinion.

Who said anything about an "eye for an eye"? I didn't say kill her the way she killed everyone else. And she is not a victim. You are just utterly and completely wrong here. While we are waiting for a thorough analysis and official statement on the cause of the deaths, we are proceeding along the assumption that she was responsible for the collision. Thus, we are talking about the perpetrator, not the victim.

Sorry, I simply can not accept your position. I am not out for "vengance" as you say. I am not advocating the electric chair. I am not saying lock her up for life. I am not saying she is evil incarnate. I am advocating people accept responsibility for their actions. And killing people is about as serious as actions get. There needs to be a serious consequence here.

I don't believe this girl needs help. I think she simply needs to accept the consequences of what she has done, as I would expect of anyone in society. Just money is not enough, and letting her off the hook is not going to fix anything. The act of making people realize that "sorry" doesn't cut it, actually has some value, and might serve to prevent another tragedy such as this in the future.

Firstly, from my understanding she may well be treated as a juvenile - at present she has been charged with driving without a licence, nothing else. i honestly couldn't tell you what the "full limit is", and to be honest this has very little to do with having axes to grind, or how the 16 year old feels - in the end 9 people have been killed in this terrible incident. A 16 year old , uninsured, unlicensed , underage driver may or may not be, at this stage responsible for it. If it is found that she was responsible, then I don't think it is unfair that she should expect to be treated any differently than what the law states = I can remember in one of the places that I worked in where a 15 year old was given a sentence of 7 years for accidently running over a police officer. Your further off skelter rants are like comparing apples to oranges, and have little relevance to what happened here. In the end the likely hood is that this will end up going away quietly, and whilst there is a lot of anger and emotion about it at present, Thailand seems to have a history of being able to bury things quite nicely, especially when it concerns people from families of wealth and influence. IMO she is unlikely to serve any jail time, and in the end that is not going to bring back the dead victims - but if she did, itmay or may not give some sense of justice to the families of the victims involved. As for the other point, on safe driving, I wholeheartedly agree, and whilst at it - maybe some education about learning responsibility for ones actions, something that seems to be missing from a number of societies these days.

If one is capable of learning any 'lesson' that can be learned (what lesson, exactly? "my parents are irresponsible, just like 98% of parents in the world"...is the only lesson for her to learn that I can see. It's not like she tried to kill nine people, she's a 16 year old girl driving a car with power steering and a century of technology wrapped up in the explosive power of the combustion engine powering it)...but even if there was a lesson for her to learn, why would you think she would learn the lesson 'better' in the horror that is juvy? With the mentally ill and violent types that match up against a frail 16 year old girl rather 'well', on paper.

Oh, how nice! I've spotted a flaw in your argument, however. Please revise your understanding of the definition of this word...and maybe whilst expanding your vocabulary, you might want to run your eyes over the rates of it.

Can you please list EXACTLY what horrible crimes this girl is guilty of, in your opinion. I think this is where we're misunderstanding each other. This is not about her, she's a victim as well. She's just being targeted by people with tragically misplaced anger / frustration. The real issues are being ignored in the quest for righting perceived social 'injustices' in the judicial process which occurred in the past...conveniently whilst ignoring the gross injustices occurring all around, of course. Some far less 'tragic' and far more infuriating, you would no doubt agree.

Of course, some kinds of injustice are very profitable. When it's one's daughter who is being subjected to those injustices, by the one - it can be especially rewarding. Wouldn't make much sense to get furious about that kind of social injustice....

I only repeated my points because you appeared to have missed them the first time around. I believe they are inherently valid, and I don't like it how everyone ignores this particular hypocrisy which makes the fight to right the wrongs in Thai society confusing at best, nauseating at worst.

How about a driver monitor system that records the vehicles speed as well as the drivers behaviour such as bursts of acceleration or excessive braking? Couple that up to a really, REALLY annoying over-speed warning inside the cab and a strobe light outside on the roof (like in Singapore) so that the vigilant Thai traffic cops (I know, I know) have an easier job of catching a speeder BEFORE the inevitable accident? Restrict these vehicles to left and center lanes only?

Where did you get the idea that Singapore cabs have a strobe light on the roof to indicate speeding? They did have a bell inside the taxis before, but it was insufficiently annoying to be effective.

Not on cabs. It's a thing from the 90's.. Goods carrying vehicles were limited to 50km/h back then and are obliged by law to have the strobes.

I actually miss the sound of the bells. If memory serves me well, it was from the old Toyota Coronas and Nissun Sunnies.

Cheers

IMO she is unlikely to serve any jail time, and in the end that is not going to bring back the dead victims - but if she did, itmay or may not give some sense of justice to the families of the victims involved. As for the other point, on safe driving, I wholeheartedly agree, and whilst at it - maybe some education about learning responsibility for ones actions, something that seems to be missing from a number of societies these days.

You agree that the only benefit to locking her up would be to assuage the deluded and misplaced desires for 'revenge', illogical yet very human emotions felt by those too clouded with (understandable) fury at losing a loved one to have any real chance of seeing the issues with clarity.

I understand their emotion. I do not concur that it should be assuaged with retribution directed at the child. If a two year old did this, would you be as angry? A ten year old? A 13-year-old? Do you see the point I'm attempting to make?

The girl's parents are partly to blame. The car owner is partly to blame. But the tragic deaths of nine people in this accident can really only be attributed fairly to society. A society who thinks a 16 year old girl can be expected to operate a miracle of 1200 horsepower in a combustion engine with power steering in a safe or competent manner on a high-speed motorway at night. They cannot. For the same reason an 11 year old cannot. That...is the issue.

Of course, everyone knows this - but no one likes to own up to the reality that they are partly to blame, much easier to blame a child just old and just rich enough to present as a fine target for offloading any pesky guilt.

The girl's parents are partly to blame. The car owner is partly to blame. But the tragic deaths of nine people in this accident can really only be attributed fairly to society. A society who thinks a 16 year old girl can be expected to operate a miracle of 1200 horsepower in a combustion engine with power steering in a safe or competent manner on a high-speed motorway at night. They cannot. For the same reason an 11 year old cannot. That...is the issue.

so lets get back to the same excuses as it was so often used here: "If the van wouldn't have been there nothing would have happened". - The dead can't defend themselves, lets make them guilty.

C'mon, a at least a five year community service(unpaid) in a hospital(emergency department), 12 hours a day, no day offs, would be a restitution, one that would serve her as well if proven guilty.

so lets get back to the same excuses as it was so often used here: "If the van wouldn't have been there nothing would have happened". - The dead can't defend themselves, lets make them guilty.

C'mon, a at least a five year community service(unpaid) in a hospital(emergency department), 12 hours a day, no day offs, would be a restitution, one that would serve her as well if proven guilty.

I think the owner of the car will pay dearly for this... the owner of the car gave permission for the 16 year old to drive... unless the owner decides to say it was stolen (opening up a whole new can of worms).

[

I don't believe this girl needs help. I think she simply needs to accept the consequences of what she has done, as I would expect of anyone in society.

The consequences of her actions DO NOT call for mandatory jail time (given the info available at this time and assuming she is fully at fault.) The consequences of her actions are already many for her and will be with her the rest of her life. Or does the consequences need to meet your views on justice?

I think the owner of the car will pay dearly for this... the owner of the car gave permission for the 16 year old to drive... unless the owner decides to say it was stolen (opening up a whole new can of worms).

Interesting how her friend's name has been kept out of all this nor has the hang-em high crowd gone after her/him. I assume the friend is not a minor if they own a car.

Interesting how her friend's name has been kept out of all this nor has the hang-em high crowd gone after her/him. I assume the friend is not a minor if they own a car.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-534734

She is now famous, and appears in CNN.

Yes.. very interesting... I can't read Thai, but I'm guessing there must be some people out there with the same train of thought. If I'm not wrong, I think the owner has already been identified. Unfortunately, the "spotlight" is on this kid because of her "connections".

Some of my Thai friends tell me that some people are using this as a political agenda (a very long shot at best), which is why there are lot's of "hang-em high" posts in the various forums.

Who said anything about an "eye for an eye"? I didn't say kill her the way she killed everyone else. And she is not a victim. You are just utterly and completely wrong here. While we are waiting for a thorough analysis and official statement on the cause of the deaths, we are proceeding along the assumption that she was responsible for the collision. Thus, we are talking about the perpetrator, not the victim.

Sorry, I simply can not accept your position. I am not out for "vengance" as you say. I am not advocating the electric chair. I am not saying lock her up for life. I am not saying she is evil incarnate. I am advocating people accept responsibility for their actions. And killing people is about as serious as actions get. There needs to be a serious consequence here.

I don't believe this girl needs help. I think she simply needs to accept the consequences of what she has done, as I would expect of anyone in society. Just money is not enough, and letting her off the hook is not going to fix anything. The act of making people realize that "sorry" doesn't cut it, actually has some value, and might serve to prevent another tragedy such as this in the future.

Gregb, your last paragraph sums it up better, nisa,theycallmescooter, the do gooders with all the fancy writing, and comments dont wash with what the majority thinks about this, a good idea do gooders, is to cut out the B/S and ask, who,s fault was it, why, looks like a spoilt lass without any responsibility. Old enough to know better, needs shaking up, and justice applied.

Edited by ginjag

not sure what the Honda City Thailand means in the image, but it seems to point to a membership in some way.

4272033cd129146d9311.jpg

http://www.use.com/showorig.pl?set=4272033cd129146d9311&p=1

for full size image

Edited by elcent

If you google "hisoboko honda city" you will know why. The car is hers, although not reg under her name. BTW HisoBoko is her net-name.

If you google "hisoboko honda city" you will know why. The car is hers, although not reg under her name. BTW HisoBoko is her net-name.

seems to explain the blocked twitters of hers.

and ... Mom and Dad didn't know?

Edited by elcent

All the other BS information being spread and repeated out there isn't enough that you need to add to it?

http://www.facebook....139511502773384 she is really lovely in these photos. I really pity her.

and with her car? and still with the red license plates? and having an accident at night?

I thought cars with red license plates are not allowed in the night time. Maybe that has changed already. I can't see any license plate in the pics after the accident though. There was a mentioning that some red color was found at the side of the van, hm ...