Driver Of Sedan In Bangkok Horror Road Accident Was A 16-Year Old Girl

webfact

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting this girl is undergoing such a lynching because of her last name and before the facts are in people are already convinced their is a cover-up and justice will not be served and the rich can get away with anything.

Interesting maybe because in a country without investigative journalism, without basic police forensic competence, and without a credible justice system, many ordinary Thais, who do actually care about their country, are venting their frustration with the people who dispense justice according to feudal power.

Tweeting is often a moronic pastime, but there is just an outside chance that more and more Thais will join the dots and demand more from the authorities, such as information, and transparency.

But then again, as soon as the next look kreung movie star has an affair.......

Interesting this girl is undergoing such a lynching because of her last name and before the facts are in people are already convinced their is a cover-up and justice will not be served and the rich can get away with anything.

The Thai forums have all gone wild now and its mainly rubbish and wild speculation posted but the early posts showed a clear trend. Lot's of Thais commented on the lack of empathy displayed by the girl.

Yes, there has been a lot of complaints about something they have no idea about.

Lack of empathy? Something neither you nor any of the other posters have any clue about. But rant and post threats is something they all can.

Ps. Talk to Tulip Naksompop of TAN Network if you want to have all the details about the girl still being in hospital, despite what you, Channel 3 news-anchors or headless chickens proclaim. You will also be informed that the '16 year old' girls phone-number was posted very early on on the hate-page and she received lots of death-threats on the first day, as soon as info about her name got out.

You've lost me. Please explain what headless chickens and channel 3 news-anchors has to do with that many Thais commented on the lack of empathy displayed by the girl?

In addition, in the photo circulating of her taken just after the crash, BKK Post is reporting that she was infact calling her dad.

two hands would suggest she was not making a call, added to the FACT that she tweeted straight after the crashand has been written elsewhere by people that saw the tweet. she may well have been calling daddy, something along the lines of 'daddy, I have been in a crash, I was driving, don't worry though you can just make it all go away, right?, don't worry though, it was just a load of oiks in a mini van'

You support for this girl is quite sickening, whether or not the actual accident was her fault (which clearly it is) the fact remains she was driving without a licence, and as has now been admitted by her she was speeding to try and return the car to her friend on time, so we have speeding, no licence, and at the very least driving without due care and attention or reckless driving.

It is just a shame you cant divert some of your sympathy and understanding to the victims and their loved ones rather than this spoiled child. As for the bangkok post saying she was calling her dad, well if its in the paper it must be true :rolleyes: surely it can not have anything to do with the backlash agaisnt her and an attempt to pacify things.

Reported statements from the mother ...

"My husband and I apologize very, very sincerely. We've had to move Praewa out of Vibhavadi Hospital to another hospital, and then to another hospital, because of threats of violence and death threats, both by telephone and other channels, including people breaking into her hospital room. We understand the emotions in society right now. The hospital also asked us to leave; we didn't make the decision alone. Now our daughter is recuperating somewhere else. She hasn't fled the country. Even if we could flee the law we can't flee the guilt.

"As for the accident.. our daughter admits she was speeding! She was rushing to return the car to her friend. It wasn't our car. I have never allowed her to drive outside like that. (As for the details of which car was in which lane, that is a police matter.) After the crash, she was trapped in the car. Once rescue workers pulled her out, since window glass had pierced her bottom she couldn't sit down. So she leaned there on the side of the road. Police asked to see her license and insurance. She is certainly in the wrong for being 16 and having no license. She wrote to her friend on her Blackberry to inform the friend about the accident and to ask about the car's insurance details. She wasn't standing around chatting on the Blackberry as some have thought."

http://asiancorrespo...-and-indonesia/

Edit: I assume the above is fairly accurate but with all the charged emotions going on with this case it seems clear we are not getting accurate facts and people seem to jump on anything that is being put out there as fact .. again we all need to wait for the official reports to be completed and released.

Edited by Nisa

In addition, in the photo circulating of her taken just after the crash, BKK Post is reporting that she was infact calling her dad.

two hands would suggest she was not making a call, added to the FACT that she tweeted straight after the crashand has been written elsewhere by people that saw the tweet. she may well have been calling daddy, something along the lines of 'daddy, I have been in a crash, I was driving, don't worry though you can just make it all go away, right?, don't worry though, it was just a load of oiks in a mini van'

You support for this girl is quite sickening, whether or not the actual accident was her fault (which clearly it is) the fact remains she was driving without a licence, and as has now been admitted by her she was speeding to try and return the car to her friend on time, so we have speeding, no licence, and at the very least driving without due care and attention or reckless driving.

It is just a shame you cant divert some of your sympathy and understanding to the victims and their loved ones rather than this spoiled child. As for the bangkok post saying she was calling her dad, well if its in the paper it must be true :rolleyes: surely it can not have anything to do with the backlash agaisnt her and an attempt to pacify things.

I just saw the translation of the interview with family members. She did use her Blackberry to send text-message: to her friend to ask about the insurance info etc.

To quote:

Once rescue workers pulled her out, since window glass had pierced her bottom she couldn’t sit down. So she leaned there on the side of the road. Police asked to see her license and insurance. She is certainly in the wrong for being 16 and having no license. She wrote to her friend on her Blackberry to inform the friend about the accident and to ask about the car’s insurance details. She wasn’t standing around chatting on the Blackberry as some have thought.

The tweet you saw is fake and only a really sad person would try to push it forward as evidence for anything anymore.

The username shown in the tweet isn't even close to being the girls account. It is a completely different girl. Who know also have gotten threats from the same hate-mob. Good job...

Your support for the hate-mob is sickening and only shows what disregard you have for other people when they don't 'fit' your preferred social group. Jealousy is a very ugly thing.

I wished we could all be allowed to focus more on all the victims. Unfortunately, hate-mobs and people like yourself make that impossible, since you steal all of our time by posting factually incorrect assertions or allegations.

166495_142616445794313_142609679128323_215300_3592165_n.jpg

166495_142616449127646_142609679128323_215301_7325425_n.jpg

166495_142616452460979_142609679128323_215302_1383106_n.jpg

166495_142616455794312_142609679128323_215303_685647_n.jpg

These were posted on FB. And assuming they are accurate (not sure why the time stamp seems to be missing frames) but it would "appear" the van is on the left and was going faster than the sedan. I am basing the van being on the left by the 3rd photo which looks like a smaller and more rounded vehicle on the right. I am also again assuming the sedan had not already lost control and that is why the van (vehicle on left) appears to be over taking it. All speculation on my part.

Though I do wonder what the light is to the left of the two cars in picture 2 and 3. In the 3rd it is partially obscured by the red circle. Could be a reflection from a piece of debri from the collision but it appears to be illuminated and would think there should not be that kind of light coming from this direction (facing on coming vehicles).

I tend to agree with much of what Jon Russel says here including, and I quote:

"It has been suggested that disillusion with the system – and principally how her family connections may help her escape punishment – and lack of faith in the media to accurately report the news – an article The Nation suggesting that the girl’s age would acquit her of charges hardly helped – are chiefly responsible for the reaction and it is easy to see how and why people are emotional about the events, but the ugly side of social media paints Thai society as a savage, revenge-seeking mob."

It is this perceived culture of impunity that drives much of the anger, but it is a destructive and unhelpful process.I was equally disgusted by the ugly way the social media was used after the civilian deaths earlier this year.

But she should not have been standing the way she did messaging only a few minutes after the accident, instead of showing empathy, helping if she could or just being there ready to help if she couldn't. That was very bad. And fairly typical. I have seen that attitude (mainly from the rich in Thailand) before, nothing strange with it. That is the way she was brought up, then, should we blame her parents maybe?

I'll chime in here too. Apparently this girl had been trained to drive in the states. The US is a very litigious society, and that definitely affects the way in which you behave. I have seen some people saying you should rush to offer aid, that contacting anyone is unimportant. Of course, this is totally and completely nonsensical based on my experience. If you aren't a trained medic, the best thing you can do is stay out of the way, and contact someone for advice. Normally, in the US, this means you dial 911 and do what they tell you. You don't take it upon yourself to decide what to do. You could make things alot worse that they already are.

Here in Thailand, there is no 911, but I still wouldn't take it upon myself to try and render assistance when I have no training. I would have tried to contact someone to help. I have no problem with this girl's actions in this regard. I think people who say she has no empathy are not trying to understand the situation. If it had been me in that accident, I can imagine all you guys lynching me at this point for not helping, when I would have only been trying to do what I believed was right and proper. Everyone should keep that in mind.

If she learned to drive in the states, she was doing exactly what her training told her to do. Call for assistance. Do what they tell you. Has nothing to do with empathy.

There are 2 other interesting issues raised in this discussion. First, would there be outrage if she was from a poor family? Answer: my guess is probably not because there would be no fear that she would be able to evade justice. In that case, people would allow the justice system to take its course without speaking out. There would be no need to do anything else. I am heartened by the outrage in this case. It is the only thing that might keep this from getting swept under the rug like so many other crimes by wealthy families.

The second question is whether there would be outrage if she had been licensed. From my perspective, that would come down to whether or not she broke a law. If she was speeding, driving recklessly, talking on a mobile phone or applying her makeup and caused a horrific accident as what we have just seen, then yes, there would be exactly the same outrage, just using a different section of the law.

As for MikeyIdea's question as to whether we would want to try and change the way justice is perceived and is it still Thailand if we do, my answer is that just because Thailand is doing something and it is working, does not mean it is optimal. There is no reason we can not try and adapt the best pieces from the West in our adopted homeland. Respect for rule of law does not have to descend into a nanny state, and there are cultural aspects of the West that are superior to Thailand, just as there are cultural aspects of Thailand that are superior to the West. It is our responsibility as ambassadors from our home countries to bring any superior qualities with us. That is how cultures grow.

The point is, lives would be saved if there was a culture of responsibility for actions, and seeing someone go to jail for this would make an impact on everyone, most especially the offending youth and her parents. All of them need to be incarcerated, so they can think about the seriousness of their actions.

heres the pic of the girl. from what she twittered after the accident she was more excited than concerned...

164188_1753440002734_1440956935_1969337_1781740_n.jpg

Even she was in a shock. During the stage of shock one reveals very much about ones character. There's clearly a lack of character education visible. It looks like she's going straight to the game to report that she just had a bonus shot. Very sad to see that.

Deepest condolences to the families and friends of the victims.

Agree about trend, still think the use of "the incredibly higher rate " is understood as same rate, which we both agree it will not be so never mind :)

18 is a good compromise, kids can be allowed to drive for either one or 2 years with qualified trainer, I think one year is enough, I see no safety benefit in making it 2 years. I do not think that parents are qualified to do this only because they have a driving licence. The one sitting beside should be a trainer for the driver so additional skills are needed and an additional test should be passed before driving with underage or person without driving license.

Clearly we are of the same mind set but everything is not so simple as 16-year olds can legally work (at least in the US) and most of America requires a car to get around. No doubt they should have training by an instructor but my thoughts of driving with the parents would be to get additional instruction and practice in the real world. At least in the states I am familiar with, they require drivers Education to be taught in high school.

A couple of other things come to mind that also add complications ... the first being is if you do give kids the taste of driving, I think they are more likely to take the car without permission. The other thing is that in rural areas there are considerably less accidents. So, maybe limiting a younger driver to things like not driving at night and on freeways as well as having different laws for cities/populated areas. It is funny because we are talking about US laws when there are few places in the world where that can prepare you for driving in BKK and most experienced adults that visit here don't attempt this.

No solution is easy and I am sure I am missing a number of other factors because the insurance companies would have got the ages raised by now if things were so clear cut ... unless they are make huge profits with the rates they charge for young drivers on a policy.

We think the same. I am used to much harder rules than in the US and come from a country where todays US accident statistics are considered totally unacceptable. I originally come from Sweden and the statistics displayed by the US today is what Sweden could show some 30 years ago :)

I don't see work as a valid reason at all. So use your bicycle then or take and pass the test and get a "moped driving licence" at 15 or take another test and drive a small slow motorcycle at 16 or a bit bigger motorcycle at 18. Any motorcycle regardless of size and you have wait until you are 21. Of course motor cycle is more dangerous than car but that works both ways sort of. Dangerous for others are equally important to dangerous to yourself and it's more difficult for a young driver to kill someone else on a small motorcycle than if he's driving a car so being allowed to drive a moped before being allowed to drive a car is valid. Education in school is excellent, really hard tests to get driving licence is excellent, getting any parent who wants to train his kid to first take a difficult test is excellent, all this will help to reduce accidents. Speed cameras everywhere are not necessarily improving safety

I should also add that I am not writing this because I want to implement it today in Thailand. I would like to see Thailand a safer country, of course, but at what pace traffic security is improved / implemented / enforced is not my decision to take. There is a practical and social dimension that we must not forget. There are reasons for things, 4 people on a motorcycle is because that's the only transport they have and they can't even afford the petrol for a second trip many times, book them for not wearing cheap half useless helmets though. That they can't afford petrol for a second trip is often their own faults because they don't plan how they spend money. Which is because no one taught them... Including not teaching them to think for themselves... Laziness can also be a factor...

I see a very big improvement in safety since I started drive here in 1991, positive change indeed, I am sure that the trend will continue

These were posted on FB. And assuming they are accurate (not sure why the time stamp seems to be missing frames) but it would "appear" the van is on the left and was going faster than the sedan. I am basing the van being on the left by the 3rd photo which looks like a smaller and more rounded vehicle on the right. I am also again assuming the sedan had not already lost control and that is why the van (vehicle on left) appears to be over taking it. All speculation on my part.

Though I do wonder what the light is to the left of the two cars in picture 2 and 3. In the 3rd it is partially obscured by the red circle. Could be a reflection from a piece of debri from the collision but it appears to be illuminated and would think there should not be that kind of light coming from this direction (facing on coming vehicles).

Hmm....

Guess I don't see that at all.

The first frame appears to show only the van in the red circle. The second frame is almost 5 seconds later, and the van has barely moved (look at the surrounding signs to get an idea of distance), but the sedan now appears to have hit it from behind. The next frames are the cars careening out of control.

The sedan must have approached at high speed from the rear to close the distance in only 5 seconds.

My question is where are the frames between the first one and the second one. That would allow us to guestimate the speed of the approaching vehicle.

Hmm....

The first frame appears to show only the van in the red circle. The second frame is almost 5 seconds later, and the van has barely moved (look at the surrounding signs to get an idea of distance), but the sedan now appears to have hit it from behind. The next frames are the cars careening out of control.

The sedan must have approached at high speed from the rear to close the distance in only 5 seconds.

My question is where are the frames between the first one and the second one. That would allow us to guestimate the speed of the approaching vehicle.

probably texting while speeding?

Her BB should be confiscated for further investigations.

Edited by elcent

Elcent>> Could you please stop posting your allegations without any proof? Thank you.

There maybe some proof when confiscating her toy. If not good on her.

Kids in this age here play games and texting in any possible situation(seen it myself) even when driving a car.

To ask to confiscate the BB is not out of reality.

Elcent>> Could you please stop posting your allegations without any proof? Thank you.

Kids in this age here play games and texting in any possible situation(seen it myself) even when driving a car.

But to ask posters to not post pure inflammatory speculations seemingly is...

But to ask posters to not post pure inflammatory speculations seemingly is...

You'd better do a research of how people react while in a state of shock and you shall find out ...

I even believe that this girl was in a shock and the reaction of her denial(common reaction when in shock) of what has happened is revealing in the image.

Edited by elcent

I saved the flv-file from YouTube, cannot attach it here since TV has some very weird upload-rules reg. allowed file-types.

It is located on page 8 in thread "Eight People Killed In Grisly Bangkok Tollway Accident".

Edited by TAWP

But she should not have been standing the way she did messaging only a few minutes after the accident, instead of showing empathy, helping if she could or just being there ready to help if she couldn't. That was very bad. And fairly typical. I have seen that attitude (mainly from the rich in Thailand) before, nothing strange with it. That is the way she was brought up, then, should we blame her parents maybe?

I'll chime in here too. Apparently this girl had been trained to drive in the states. The US is a very litigious society, and that definitely affects the way in which you behave. I have seen some people saying you should rush to offer aid, that contacting anyone is unimportant. Of course, this is totally and completely nonsensical based on my experience. If you aren't a trained medic, the best thing you can do is stay out of the way, and contact someone for advice. Normally, in the US, this means you dial 911 and do what they tell you. You don't take it upon yourself to decide what to do. You could make things alot worse that they already are.

Here in Thailand, there is no 911, but I still wouldn't take it upon myself to try and render assistance when I have no training. I would have tried to contact someone to help. I have no problem with this girl's actions in this regard. I think people who say she has no empathy are not trying to understand the situation. If it had been me in that accident, I can imagine all you guys lynching me at this point for not helping, when I would have only been trying to do what I believed was right and proper. Everyone should keep that in mind.

If she learned to drive in the states, she was doing exactly what her training told her to do. Call for assistance. Do what they tell you. Has nothing to do with empathy.

There are 2 other interesting issues raised in this discussion. First, would there be outrage if she was from a poor family? Answer: my guess is probably not because there would be no fear that she would be able to evade justice. In that case, people would allow the justice system to take its course without speaking out. There would be no need to do anything else. I am heartened by the outrage in this case. It is the only thing that might keep this from getting swept under the rug like so many other crimes by wealthy families.

The second question is whether there would be outrage if she had been licensed. From my perspective, that would come down to whether or not she broke a law. If she was speeding, driving recklessly, talking on a mobile phone or applying her makeup and caused a horrific accident as what we have just seen, then yes, there would be exactly the same outrage, just using a different section of the law.

As for MikeyIdea's question as to whether we would want to try and change the way justice is perceived and is it still Thailand if we do, my answer is that just because Thailand is doing something and it is working, does not mean it is optimal. There is no reason we can not try and adapt the best pieces from the West in our adopted homeland. Respect for rule of law does not have to descend into a nanny state, and there are cultural aspects of the West that are superior to Thailand, just as there are cultural aspects of Thailand that are superior to the West. It is our responsibility as ambassadors from our home countries to bring any superior qualities with us. That is how cultures grow.

The point is, lives would be saved if there was a culture of responsibility for actions, and seeing someone go to jail for this would make an impact on everyone, most especially the offending youth and her parents. All of them need to be incarcerated, so they can think about the seriousness of their actions.

Good post, much of the outrage is clearly because justice is not expected and justice will be improved somewhat in other cases in the future because of the outrage this incident caused. That's positive...

Some more info: The mother has admitted to her daughter speeding, thanks Nisa

I do agree with the Thais complaining about lack of empathy displayed. I have seen so many accidents in nearly 20 years here, the poor show more empathy while the rich get on the phone calling the insurance company. That is not the way I was brought up. Not everything is good of course. The poor would forget to call for help perhaps. But the rich? This is what I have observed myself and I checked extra carefully after I had seen it the first time; I saw it again and then again. Several accidents where the richer didn't give the victims of the accident they caused a single look even. I think that is sad.

How about first calling for help, then calling the insurance company, then up to ability at least offer to help? Nope, put the car between yourself and the victims is what I have seen. I would personally call for help first, then to my ability help (I have training although it's a long time ago now), then call my insurance company

Edit:

Regarding - As for MikeyIdea's question as to whether we would want to try and change the way justice is perceived and is it still Thailand if we do, my answer is that just because Thailand is doing something and it is working, does not mean it is optimal. There is no reason we can not try and adapt the best pieces from the West in our adopted homeland. Respect for rule of law does not have to descend into a nanny state, and there are cultural aspects of the West that are superior to Thailand, just as there are cultural aspects of Thailand that are superior to the West. It is our responsibility as ambassadors from our home countries to bring any superior qualities with us. That is how cultures grow.

We should never expect that one thing can be changed in isolation. It is not as simple as that. Change one thing and you will always get a counter reaction in other areas. It is not for us as guests here to decide what aspects of Thai culture that should be changed, it's their values that are changing. Perhaps I am more reluctant to change as I share their values a lot now a days :)

Edited by MikeyIdea

I saved the flv-file from YouTube, cannot attach it here since TV has some very weird upload-rules reg. allowed file-types.

It is located on page 8 in thread "Eight People Killed In Grisly Bangkok Tollway Accident".

Any clue how where I can actually download this to clean it up and repost it?

Hmm....

Where are those extra frames indeed? Somebody took the time to clean up these shots from the video but not sure if they saw the other frames as irrelavent or are trying to manipulate what we are seeing. Lets just hope the Thai authorities can clean up the entire video. If you see the video it is not nearly clear as these pictures.

But from what I thought I was seeing ... I see two headlights (or beams of light coming from headlights on the road) in the right (our right) hand lane. I assumed that is the car but maybe it is just some kind of light splash from the van.

Speedy recovery to the injured....What comes around goes around, the " dad and mom' sweet thang" will get hers...in some form.. hmm..guilt does not work in Thailand, right?

A very sad situation... to be fair, the photo of her on the cell phone is taken out of context... courtesy of the Newspaper photo editor(s), perchant for selling the sizzle.. Who would not call your parents after something as terrible as this..

Hmmm.. makes you wonder though, if her car was not totaled, would she have stopped or continue on her burger run. Those who can do, do.. and do it all the time... AKA Paris Hilton...

Somewhere,sometime, a Road Avenger is on the prowl...

Just very sad indeed... best wishes and speedy recovery to the injured..

Well, here's the YouTube link:

And here's how you make a video file of it:

http://www.videodownloadx.com/

Or maybe this one:

http://www.videoconvertx.com/?theurl=Paste%20the%20address%20of%20the%20video%20you%20want%20to%20download

Edited by lannarebirth

Stop that video at exactly 0:07 seconds and tell me what you see in the LHS of the frame. Yes clearly you can see the van suddenly slews sideways but theres something immediately behind the van at that exact moment - headlights suddenly appear. You might have to play and stop it a couple of times to see what i mean.

As usual, these things always occur just at the edge of camera footage , murphy was a bugger.

A terrible tragedy.

The dead include Thammasat U students, an upscale highly regarded school with many children of influential families. If it comes to the point of purchasing a manipulation of the forensic investigation it will be interesting since the opposing parties apparently are both influential.