Offshore Oil Rig Work

counrikke

Like mentioned earlier in this thread, look at third party contractor jobs in your local country. You can get your foot in the door and move about later.

Its expensive to get a new hand trained up and certified just to get him/her offshore..

Most companies wont take that chance on a greenie.

Dont waste your time doing any "oil preparation ' courses. Just a scam.

First aid is handy.

This is a very informative thread. I have recently decided to try and get into the HSE sector working offshore. I'm 30 years old & am currently based in Thailand. I don't have any experience working in the upstream sector but have spent the last ten years working in the downstream sector, 3 years as a production manager at a independent oil manufacturing company & 7 years working as the sales manager for the same company. ( not particularly skill sets that would be well needed in HSE I'm guessing) Im now looking for a career change. Money is not the biggest motivation i just value my time off and have other interests in life. I updated my CV & sent it to around 15 offshore drilling companies I found on the Internet but I'm not to confident on hearing anything back to be honest. It seams to be who you know not what you know from the research I have been doing. Does anyone have any advice with regards to getting into HSE? I'm from the UK so would my best bet be moving to Aberdeen and starting from there. I'm happy to start from scratch I just need to know the best place to start.

Thankyou in advance & sorry for hijacking the thread it seams that the more knowledgable people in this particular industry have had a lot of input on here.

If you are interested in a career in offshore HSE I would suggest you consider obtaining NEBOSH certification. This seems to have become an industry standard.

thanks for the tips, yes Is what I am doing, shortlisting, all the company in my country, cleaning, catering,etc..

I will be in Italy, on January and will start to visit them, and try to get to know some people.

I am not really looking only for offshore, onshore rigs, is fine with me, and how other said here in the thread less tickets are required.

About the NEBOSH, I am checking location and prices, I found some courses in http://www.kbatraining.org.

There is something I have to look for?

Like for the BOSIET, that have to be OPITO approved to be valid at International level?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks for the tips, yes Is what I am doing, shortlisting, all the company in my country, cleaning, catering,etc..

I will be in Italy, on January and will start to visit them, and try to get to know some people.

I am not really looking only for offshore, onshore rigs, is fine with me, and how other said here in the thread less tickets are required.

About the NEBOSH, I am checking location and prices, I found some courses in http://www.kbatraining.org.

Like for the BOSIET, that have to be OPITO approved to be valid at International level?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would suggest that you check out: www.nebosh.org.uk/. There are varying levels of NEBOSH certification, the link given should direct you to accredited course providers.

I would suggest that you check out: www.nebosh.org.uk/. There are varying levels of NEBOSH certification, the link given should direct you to accredited course providers.

No offense intended but this is one of the problems with the O&G industry, people go off and do a few courses...ie in this case a NEBOSH certificate, having absolutely no experience and some times end up in jobs as a "safety officer" or my other favourite term "safety professional" having absolutely no clue about the job or the industry they are working in and as a result making things ever more dangerous for the guys doing the job, because some numbnut with a nebosh ticket, or similar is calling the shots as regards safety on a job....

This is one of my pet peeves as over the years have had a few like this working for me...i.e. so called "safety professionals" who havent got a clue beyond saying put your safety glasses on.

Edited by Soutpeel

Well, I understand, and I think you are right. And actually is true in almost of the industry.

In my case, I will do courses, to get an entry job, since may be, having already some tickets, will help me a little, to getting hired, since the company will need to spend, less money on my training.

Try to be more interested in actual "oil gas" jobs.

If I had realised before you were just looking for a safety pusher or folding underpants in the laundry kind of job

I never would have bothered posting all this info

No offense intended but this is one of the problems with the O&G industry, people go off and do a few courses...ie in this case a NEBOSH certificate, having absolutely no experience and some times end up in jobs as a "safety officer" or my other favourite term "safety professional" having absolutely no clue about the job or the industry they are working in and as a result making things ever more dangerous for the guys doing the job, because some numbnut with a nebosh ticket, or similar is calling the shots as regards safety on a job....

This is one of my pet peeves as over the years have had a few like this working for me...i.e. so called "safety professionals" who havent got a clue beyond saying put your safety glasses on.

I totally agree with you here. Unfortunately it's the way the industry is going, it's all been driven by the UK and slowly but surely creeping into every region.

Well, I understand, and I think you are right. And actually is true in almost of the industry.

In my case, I will do courses, to get an entry job, since may be, having already some tickets, will help me a little, to getting hired, since the company will need to spend, less money on my training.

Again without wanting to p*ss on your parade, I think it will be highly unlikely you will get on the international O&G game anyway, unless someone at a decent level in a company is pulling strings for you to get in the door.

As regards some of the countries you mentioned... ie Libya, Nigeria....you do know you will not get a job in laundary/catering/Roustie...ie entry level etc these are typically reserved for locals only or personages from the Indian subcontinent and in some cases the guys only get US$ 200-300/month and do 12-24 month stretches before they are allowed to go home..

BTW which Italian company are you talking about ?

Again without wanting to p*ss on your parade, I think it will be highly unlikely you will get on the international O&G game anyway, unless someone at a decent level in a company is pulling strings for you to get in the door.

As regards some of the countries you mentioned... ie Libya, Nigeria....you do know you will not get a job in laundary/catering/Roustie...ie entry level etc these are typically reserved for locals only or personages from the Indian subcontinent and in some cases the guys only get US$ 200-300/month and do 12-24 month stretches before they are allowed to go home..

BTW which Italian company are you talking about ?

Indian cook/chef on our accom barge in Gulf of Thailand a couple of years back. I swear one heck of a cook/chef. 2 year stint and $500 per month.

Other jobs like this as mentioned above - save yourself time and don't bother. You have to bring something different to the table as an expat. Some of my friends have started their own companies in the O&G field offering 'something different' and some of them have done quite well but only with plenty of stress & hard work.

guys thanks for all the info, I didnt realize, about the lower wages, in the say in the catering industry in the O&G Industry, I think I will ditch that idea, and stay more on related jobs.

About the Italian company, this is the ones that I found untill now, will have a better look today, to find some more:

Halliburton, USA

Hydro Drilling International S.p.A., Italy

Perazzoli Drilling, Italy

Pergemine S.p.A., Italy

Petreven, Italy

DRILLMEC SPA Italy

Geolog S.r.l. Italy

Weatherford, USA

MED OIL GAS Italy

Vega Oil S.p.A. Italy

Saipem S.p.A Italy

Ava S.P.A. Italy

Halliburton and Weatherford have offices in Italy too, i will give a go, and send my CV, and when I go to Italy, call and and try to go to the offices, and see whats come up.

Thanks also for the advices that probabily will be very hard or impossible to get a job with out some people pulling some string.

I dont know If some body will help me, but I am willing to do what is needed.

Edited by emiubon

Well, at least I will try, I remember I had worked with a guy, that worked in the oil or gas industry, I am looking If I can get in touch with him.

Anyhow, do you think this course is valid? And may help? http://www.mdslimite...bpages/pef.html

How you can stand up in front of a H.R., during the interview?

What I have in mind is not only to send a C.V. but follow up on it, with phone calls and may be even try to go to the company, if I am close enough.

And how much are they trying to steal from you for these courses ?

Stand up in front of HR....??...what are you talking about interview technique ?.....you do know these days most interviews for the international game are not even done face to face its usually over the telephone, so whether you stand or sit is up to you

take it from someone who works in O&G, send a CV by all means, even follow up with a phone call, but do not go knocking on any doors ,if you have already been told they have no positions all you will do is start p*ssing people off..

SoutPeel I didn't see this replay, I meant stand out, what I want to say, stand out respect other people that apply for a position with a CV and then during the interview.

I talked with a guy that started working in North Dakota, and he applied first online, and then moved there, got hired in about 2 months, keeping calling and living CV in other companies.

Got hired as a Floor Hand, but he is from USA, so a different situation altogether, anyhow now he is Driller Assistant, doing training, etc.

So I get locally is the way to go at the beginning, in my case Italy, or may be Europe, and probably onshore.

I have another question:

Look like that there is shortage of skilled people in the O&G industry at least from what i managed to read online.

And for what I understand the O&G is an industry where companies are willing to train peoples, to their expenses, so why I feel there is fear, for people working in it, to be surrounded from incompetent peoples, that just got the job, because they followed and spent few grand’s on some courses.

That means there is a hole somewhere, I mean some people inside the industry don’t go up the ladder, living room for others, or are not willing to give room to new peoples, or just decide to don’t extend their training to be able to go up the ladder? or what?

“I hope you understand, I am realizing that after few years, talking almost only Thai, my English is not of the best.”

I am looking to start to work in this industry, for the money, the free time off and also because look like you can grow, while getting more experience, doing more training and of course depending also from your natural quality.

I have another question:

Look like that there is shortage of skilled people in the O&G industry at least from what i managed to read online.

And for what I understand the O&G is an industry where companies are willing to train peoples, to their expenses, so why I feel there is fear, for people working in it, to be surrounded from incompetent peoples, that just got the job, because they followed and spent few grand’s on some courses.

The operative word here is "skilled"...the positions you are talking about...ie catering roustie etc are not classed as "skilled". as regards you example about the guy in Dakota...yes sure this happens every day on land land rigs in the US etc, but your circumstances are not the same...you dont live in the US and your not American...so were ya going to go in Europe ?.....North Sea...?....will not get a look in...I promise you....your only possible place of getting a start at the moment is in Italy...if you cant get one there, then highyl unlikely you will get a start anywhere else

I have another question:

The operative word here is "skilled"...the positions you are talking about...ie catering roustie etc are not classed as "skilled". as regards you example about the guy in Dakota...yes sure this happens every day on land land rigs in the US etc, but your circumstances are not the same...you dont live in the US and your not American...so were ya going to go in Europe ?.....North Sea...?....will not get a look in...I promise you....your only possible place of getting a start at the moment is in Italy...if you cant get one there, then highyl unlikely you will get a start anywhere else

Ok thanks a lot, I will start from Italy, and try to get the foot in the door there

Hi Soutpeel, and the others.

Thanks for all the info, after some more reading and thinking i arrived at your same conclusion.

Doesn’t matter if I get all that tickets, to be able to get an entry level job, why the company should go through the pains of get working permits and visa, for somebody with no any experience that could last a week. They will surely do for more skilled people that may be in shortage in some part of the world, at least may be a Driller and higher.

So, how you said, the best is to try in Italy.

I just spent two months on this colossal lump,it's the Noble Clyde Boudreaux which will start drilling off the north west shelf in OZ.

We travelled from Cape Town to Dampier,while the money may be good it's not all that's its cracked up to be,good luck in your quest for a start in the industry.

post-118612-0-81420900-1353741332_thumb.

Alot of people just find the industry isnt for them. Most field jobs are manual labour.. and hard at that.

Either shift work or 24 hr on call.

Stress when a rig is costing $1mil a day and your holding up the whole show cause your equipment is broken or someone farked up.

If you feel sick, there is no 'taking the day off".

Angry people, wierd people, nice people, back stabbers... your all living together for along time.

If you didnt get paid it would be called prison.

Going home today? Wife happy, your even happier.. waiting with your bags to get off.. sorry, your relief hasnt turned up, quit, or there isnt anyone available.. you gotta stay back another day or week.

One person gets sick.. everyone gets sick.

Turnover is high.. but entry is difficult.

• Like 1

be careful for what you wish for.

I work on-shore here in Oz and the turn around for leasehands (entry level pos) is about 1 keeper / 5 starters. Its is a business like none other I have worked in before, it is just wierd. In most cases you need to know someone or have someone vouch for you or forget it, no start. If you want to take the bottom up approach then if you make it to driller 3 you can then move around easily,including offshore. If you dont like heights too then forget it. The positive about this industry is the fact there is only 5 basic roles you need to master to get to driller. But its tough work especially once you start working the rig floor, not to mention dangerous.

I'm getting by, I just do it, like most people in most jobs. I have been offered work offshore off of Darwin 2 weeks ago but 28/28 is not for me.

Maybe have a look at onshore work as a leasy and see what you think, dont worry about certs, the company will prolly hire you because someone has vouched for you and will run you through the couses at thier expense anyway.

Chok Dii.

• Like 1

thank

be careful for what you wish for.

I work on-shore here in Oz and the turn around for leasehands (entry level pos) is about 1 keeper / 5 starters. Its is a business like none other I have worked in before, it is just wierd. In most cases you need to know someone or have someone vouch for you or forget it, no start. If you want to take the bottom up approach then if you make it to driller 3 you can then move around easily,including offshore. If you dont like heights too then forget it. The positive about this industry is the fact there is only 5 basic roles you need to master to get to driller. But its tough work especially once you start working the rig floor, not to mention dangerous.

I'm getting by, I just do it, like most people in most jobs. I have been offered work offshore off of Darwin 2 weeks ago but 28/28 is not for me.

Maybe have a look at onshore work as a leasy and see what you think, dont worry about certs, the company will prolly hire you because someone has vouched for you and will run you through the couses at thier expense anyway.

Chok Dii.

Thanks for your advices, since look like that my best bet is to start from the bottom up, I am looking also for working visa, for Canada, Australia and OZ, where look like there is the biggest concentration of company drilling onshore.

I am waiting a replay from the visa offices, to see If getting some ticket, before I apply for the visa, will help me to get the visa.

• 2 weeks later...

"take it from someone who works in O&G, send a CV by all means, even follow up with a phone call, but do not go knocking on any doors ,if you have already been told they have no positions all you will do is start p*ssing people off.."

Sorry Soutpeel but I beg to differ with that advice mate. Going by experience, I have always found that the more you pi** off a company by bugging them to get a start with them, the more likely they are to say "oh just give him a start to shut him up". I've worked for 5 service companies over the last 13 years and although I was lucky enough to get my foot in the door through a relative, I ended up unemployed on several occasions. I know it's easier to get a start with a company if you already have some experience, but never doubt the power of gentle persuasion and aggressive willingness - especially with service companies when you have a BOSIET and medical in hand. wink.png

• Like 1

"take it from someone who works in O&G, send a CV by all means, even follow up with a phone call, but do not go knocking on any doors ,if you have already been told they have no positions all you will do is start p*ssing people off.."

Sorry Soutpeel but I beg to differ with that advice mate. Going by experience, I have always found that the more you pi** off a company by bugging them to get a start with them, the more likely they are to say "oh just give him a start to shut him up". I've worked for 5 service companies over the last 13 years and although I was lucky enough to get my foot in the door through a relative, I ended up unemployed on several occasions. I know it's easier to get a start with a company if you already have some experience, but never doubt the power of gentle persuasion and aggressive willingness - especially with service companies when you have a BOSIET and medical in hand. wink.png

Lets agree to disagree on this one, personally It really gets on my nerves when some one contacts me looking for a job, I tell them there is nothing going at the moment and they dont give up, whether email, phone calls or wanting to come and see me...no different from the cold calling financial advisor's and they p*ss everyone off...biggrin.png.

All CV submissions I do get, I do read, and do keep a copy and sometimes something comes up and on occassion and I have contacted the guy concerned and they have got the job

Lets agree to disagree on this one, personally It really gets on my nerves when some one contacts me looking for a job, I tell them there is nothing going at the moment and they dont give up, whether email, phone calls or wanting to come and see me...no different from the cold calling financial advisor's and they p*ss everyone off...biggrin.png.

All CV submissions I do get, I do read, and do keep a copy and sometimes something comes up and on occassion and I have contacted the guy concerned and they have got the job

Yeah I guess I can see your point there. I think what I am really trying to stress is to anybody trying to get a start in the O&G industry is to never give up. That seems to be the falling point with so many people I know. They expect to be able to send there CV out and then wait for the companies to call them. You know as well as I do that it just doesn't happen like that (for an inexperienced guy trying to get a start).

Right now the E&P industry seems to be booming, and it is an employees market, where people in my trade (Wellservices) are being literally bombarded with job offers. Best time to be a DRB if you ask me thumbsup.gif

Right now the E&P industry seems to be booming, and it is an employees market, where people in my trade (Wellservices) are being literally bombarded with job offers. Best time to be a DRB if you ask me thumbsup.gif

The industry is going through a bit of boom times, but the believe the days of getting a job offshore just becasue you can walk and chew gum at the same time are long gone, they want skilled experienced people, for the most part it will be still very difficult for someone to break into the industry without any experience or the needed skill sets....

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone. Im trying to drum up a bit of interest in an offshore/rig pig forum in Thaivisa. Could be a good laugh. I started a thread in forum support. If anyone is interested can you please post some comments. It would be good to share war stories and bshit each other. Also let each other know where the best training facilities are. Most importantly where the best watering holes in the world are

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. Im trying to drum up a bit of interest in an offshore/rig pig forum in Thaivisa. Could be a good laugh. I started a thread in forum support. If anyone is interested can you please post some comments. It would be good to share war stories and bshit each other. Also let each other know where the best training facilities are. Most importantly where the best watering holes in the world are

I am currently working in the fields of Oman, conducting two research engineering programs concerning polymer stabilization (Downhole) and foamed bitumen stabilization. Would be interested in making new contacts within the industry and compare notes on what is happening in their geographical region.