Where Can I Get Good Fiction In Thai Language At A Reasonable Price

HenMeeMai

My missus likes to read western fiction that has been translated into the Thai language. Not the endless cartoon books and trash novels, but decent fiction. She is extremely jealous of the great choice of second-hand book shops that I have at my disposal. I can easily pick up interesting books, in good condition, that I want to read for around 200 Baht, she on the other hand is forced to buy new Thai translations for more like 600 Baht each... She ends up reading less than she would like because of the expense - not an ideal situation!

Does anyone know of somewhere that she could exchange her books, or buy good second-hand fiction?

We know of the shops that rent magazines, cartoon books and trash novels, but this isn't what she is after. She says, however, that she wouldn't mind renting if she can find a shop that rents out decent fiction? Anyone know of one? (she seems to think that they exist somewhere!)

I suggested the library as an obvious option, but she says that Thai libraries only have the old books. Is this the case?

All help much appreciated :D

Truly successful translation of good fiction is very, very hard to find anywhere in any language. Good luck! Frankly, you can't really find such a thing as a bargain (at the prices you seeM to think are excessive) unless you have blind luck and are very fortunate unless you go for some classics which might have been given decent translations, and that can be a stretch. To say it another way, if you are a history buff, can you imagine (in "non-fiction") reading Churchill in Thai?