Coffee In Chiang Mai

HowardB

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just noticed RAM Coffee Bar is a new addition to TV sponsors in Chiang Mai.

Anyone tried it?

Any good?

If they're sponsors then they can only be good, can't they. :rolleyes:

So yes, they're good; and I can confidently say that without even knowing where the place is.

• Like 1

I've just noticed RAM Coffee Bar is a new addition to TV sponsors in Chiang Mai.

Anyone tried it?

Any good?

I don't get the way TV runs advertising. Just had to turn off all my antivirus stuff just to see the advert. When most decent Internet security packages block stuff like that why would anyone waste money advertising?rolleyes.gif

Nothing against RAM coffee though, nice modern A/C place down on the river near Kad Moon Mai with some really good looking guys working there (go figure the rest of the equation). Good coffee and good beer- they change from coffee shop to bar at 6 p.m. And, if that's not enough, it's right next door to a notorious rub and tug so you can get the best of both worldstongue.png

Anyone tried it?

Any good?

If they're sponsors then they can only be good, can't they. rolleyes.gif

So yes, they're good; and I can confidently say that without even knowing where the place is.

laugh.png Not in the diplomatic corps by any chance?

• 1 month later...

Just tried Ristr8to and must say they serve the best espresso drinks I've had anywhere in the world. This place is truly a benchmark for espresso. The latte art is also gorgeous, I've never seen it done this well.

Surprisingly, the barrista is a humble and very nice guy. The shop isn't plush, but the coffee is world class.

I know of 2 brands not mentioned so far on this thread that are Hill Tribe and/or Royal Project beans. One is Doi Kaew, the other is Doi Kham. Doi Kaew is served and sold in a small shop on Chaing Mai (Road/Town), the small Soi off ChanKlang Rd past the Empress. My wife brought home the Doi Kham beans and I don't know where she bought them. I'm not fussy about coffee so I prefer to support Hill tribe products. Not to say that these are not tasty, but I'm not a gourmet.

I have heard that Starbucks buys Thai beans when possible. Am I wrong??

Just tried Ristr8to and must say they serve the best espresso drinks I've had anywhere in the world. This place is truly a benchmark for espresso. The latte art is also gorgeous, I've never seen it done this well.

Surprisingly, the barrista is a humble and very nice guy. The shop isn't plush, but the coffee is world class.

Agreed, Ristr8to is up there with Thom's, Nim City. Makes one wonder how Starfcuks survives here?

Will customs let me bring my Rancilio Rocky burr grinder in country in my luggage?

I can live without my Technivorm and just use a French press but I've got to have a burr grinder.

bit late but bur grinders are readily available here from about 4000 baht at central.

Rist8to really good and know how to make a cup, a bit confusing for the 1st timer but they'll help. I recently bought for home use Hom Glai grown in Mai Sai, Chiang Rai called Doi Pahee from Hillkpoff (I went to the new store next to the Mercedes dealer this time, had lots of these single origin coffees on nice displays with info etc. that are avail. only 2 mnth a yr. or something like that, but limited, don't know if they carry them in the old store but if I so recommend going there for service (a pizza was delivered and the whole staff disappeared and I had to grind and bag my own beans). Anyway back to the important stuff these have their "City" roast which I find is medium which I prefer (don't get confused if you inquire and they say it's mocha because what it is is the roast they recommend to make mocha with (if I haven't confused you)). Back to my a.m. cup (or pot) of coffee

The one you were saying available 2 months a year, still available? Where can I get some please thanks.

Rist8to really good and know how to make a cup, a bit confusing for the 1st timer but they'll help. I recently bought for home use Hom Glai grown in Mai Sai, Chiang Rai called Doi Pahee from Hillkpoff (I went to the new store next to the Mercedes dealer this time, had lots of these single origin coffees on nice displays with info etc. that are avail. only 2 mnth a yr. or something like that, but limited, don't know if they carry them in the old store but if I so recommend going there for service (a pizza was delivered and the whole staff disappeared and I had to grind and bag my own beans). Anyway back to the important stuff these have their "City" roast which I find is medium which I prefer (don't get confused if you inquire and they say it's mocha because what it is is the roast they recommend to make mocha with (if I haven't confused you)). Back to my a.m. cup (or pot) of coffee

Don't know, I bought that one and another about a month ago and they had others too. Probably some left and perhaps new ones, but more than one kind that was limited production, well worth a look as they have many of their own beans too. I have been buying their "City" for a long time, they will grind it to your specs (but it's bagged and is very hot, which they say is no problem but I'm not sure about that). Lots of coffee equipment etc. so good for a look see.

Good heavens. I'm really really impressed with that menu. blink.png

Chiang Mai has come a long way from the times it was either Nescafe or some uncle with a cart serving coffee brewed through a big sock.

I've had some surprisingly fantastic coffee served through the sock, where as the Nescafe 3 in 1 makes me gag not to mention having my weekly allowance of sugar in it.

Good heavens. I'm really really impressed with that menu. blink.png

Chiang Mai has come a long way from the times it was either Nescafe or some uncle with a cart serving coffee brewed through a big sock.

My local female coffee-maker filters it through a ladies' stocking, not a sock, I think this adds a certain 'frisson', or do I mean panache ? Unfortunately she doesn't do home-rolled cigars, as well. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Ricardo

• 4 weeks later...

Hillkoff and Kasem sells excellent coffee at an inexpensive price. Starbucks serves good coffee, and their stock pays a nice dividend. Starbucks doesn't allow smoking which is good. Wawee Coffee isn't near as good. Another good place to drink coffee is the small coffee shop at Rimping around the corner from Dukes.

Jamaican Blue.

Do you drink or smoke Jamaican Blue?

laugh.png I didn't smoke any JB (as far as I know)

Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee or Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee is a classification of coffee grown in the Blue Mountains of Jamaica. The best lots of Blue Mountain coffee are noted for their mild flavour and lack of bitterness. Over the last several decades, this coffee has developed a reputation that has made it one of the most expensive and sought-after coffees in the world;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamaican_Blue_Mountain_Coffee

Jamaican Blue.

Do you drink or smoke Jamaican Blue?

laugh.png I didn't smoke any JB (as far as I know)

Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee or Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee is a classification of coffee grown in the Blue Mountains of Jamaica. The best lots of Blue Mountain coffee are noted for their mild flavour and lack of bitterness. Over the last several decades, this coffee has developed a reputation that has made it one of the most expensive and sought-after coffees in the world;

http://en.wikipedia....Mountain_Coffee

Sounds good. Too bad we can't get it here.

• 7 months later...

We have been in Chiang Mai for five months and found the best coffee at a great owner operated cafe called COFFEE KINGS opposite the Sheik Istama on Padet Road. He speaks English and is very friendly and helpful with tourist information. His food is some of the best Thai food we have eaten in Chiang Mai, which makes me reluctant to give out his location. His prices are better than those found in the heavily populated tourist spots in the old city. If you have a scooter it is worth the short trip for the coffee and his homemade brownie alone.

Edited by Dante52