7 Children Injured When Their Ride 'The Crazy Bus' At Dream World Bangkok Breaks

webfact

Seven kids injured as park ride breaks

By The Nation

Published on January 1, 2011

Seven children, the youngest being just three, were injured yesterday after their ride at the DreamWorld amusement park broke down.

The Crazy Bus, which was carrying about 30 adults and children at the time of the accident, fell to the ground after its support broke off. A woman said her nephews had sprained their ankles and were being treated at a hospital nearby.

Bangkok MP Karun Hosakul complained about the dismal response of the staff at the park, saying that the children he had taken there for a holiday treat had sustained some minor injuries. "The injuries are very small, but we would feel much better if the staff were more responsive and treated us with more care," he added.

DreamWorld's senior staff member, Phattharadani Janhom, said he did not know what had caused the disaster and the ride has been closed indefinitely pending investigation. The amusement park has covered the treatment costs of all seven children.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-01

If a 'small' incident like this were to happen anywhere else, it would be almost a Royal Inquiry. Having been involved in theme park construction and looking at Thai methodologies in the last 10 years, I would think a man with a 'stick' welder using sunglasses as eye protection is not the 'professional tradesman' qualified to weld stress points if in fact that was the cause.

Thailand continues to build to 'Thai' standard and that is simply not good enough. I have noted the same signature, poor welding and construction techniques in inter-city buses and have not been on any since seeing what holds them together in 2001. All these things are just accidents waiting to happen, theme parks, buses and even buildings - it will happen, only a matter of time.

The Bangkok MP probably typifies the attitude of the general public when this type of accident occurs. More concerned about someone showing care/respect to them than the safety condition of the rides/facilities.

They got a ride called 'The Crazy Bus'? :blink:

Yeah, its called the Government bus which you catch enroute to the fun park :lol:

edit: please note, theres hundreds of them all around the country.

Edited by neverdie

Dreamworld turns into a nightmare! Would have been my choice for the headline, thankfully it sounds as though there were no major injuries and maybe this will give them a kick up the backside to check all the other attractions and rides.

Yeah, its called the Government bus which you catch enroute to the fun park :lol:

You pay -you expect..................but dont get. Guess-poor cheap construction, AIRPORT--oh sorry-----start again, ITS MONEY again isn,t it ???.........all the problems are GREED.................everywhere you look -its built into society. Your extra rich (soap opera,s) it is SICK........all these kids wanted was to enjoy........a new year present ........The bit about the welding -agreed-self taught-(saw my uncle do it once). The owners of DREAM.. should look at all rides-and safety.........then-you dont have to pay people again...... but these kids --it will have put them off happy rides for a while....................Happy new Year to all. enjoyed being a new member. forum have made me smile at times.

Edited by ginjag

Dreamworld turns into a nightmare! Would have been my choice for the headline, thankfully it sounds as though there were no major injuries and maybe this will give them a kick up the backside to check all the other attractions and rides.

Yeah right :lol: , that will happen about the same time as everyone starts wearing their seatbelts, helmets and signalling when they change lanes.

Yeah right :lol: , that will happen about the same time as everyone starts wearing their seatbelts, helmets and signalling when they change lanes.

we can only hope cool.gif

Like so many things in Thailand their are NO consequences, if people dont have to pay the consequences of their actions they will never learn or change.

They should change the ride to "the Bus CRAZY people ride"........could you imagine the cost of the law suit etc if that happened in the western world ???....it would be huge, and here, how big of them to pay the Hospital costs.......its a joke........the Government should automatically shut down the whole park for inspection, but we all know that will never happen.

The Bangkok MP probably typifies the attitude of the general public when this type of accident occurs. More concerned about someone showing care/respect to them than the safety condition of the rides/facilities.

This particular MP doesn't show to much concern for care/respect for others as he's currently out on bail for instigating terrorism:

Nor did he show much care/respect for fellow MP's even earlier when he started a brawl during a session of Parliament:

Yes, it's in the section of the park called "Adventure Land"

and the park's promotional words are very eery in light of the incident:

crazybus.png

Ohh dear, they usually don't following the catchy slogans, this time they literally have. :(

You pay -you expect..................but dont get. Guess-poor cheap construction, AIRPORT--oh sorry-----start again, ITS MONEY again isn,t it ???.........all the problems are GREED.................everywhere you look -its built into society. Your extra rich (soap opera,s) it is SICK........all these kids wanted was to enjoy........a new year present ........The bit about the welding -agreed-self taught-(saw my uncle do it once). The owners of DREAM.. should look at all rides-and safety.........then-you dont have to pay people again...... but these kids --it will have put them off happy rides for a while....................Happy new Year to all. enjoyed being a new member. forum have made me smile at times.

A bit off topic, but I travel a lot and have to say that Swampy is a lovely airport and getting better all the time... I cannot think of a nicer airport in Asia, certainly not Honkers or Changi.... and the beer is cheaper if you know which fridge to shop in...haha just wish they could up-date the toilets a wee bit , but I`m sure thats on the list... Honkers wins on the toilet front...

Yes, it's in the section of the park called "Adventure Land"

and the park's promotional words are very eery in light of the incident:

crazybus.png

Ohh dear, they usually don't following the catchy slogans, this time they literally have. :(

Another mini bus takes off, More than Thai Airways International did during snow hit Europe :D :D :D ...........They have these Adventureland buses all over Thailand, on the roads everyday.It,s safe for the kids if its closed. Yes and about paying sweet mouth money for medical. GREED again. Would like to know who operates these things-and who owns Dream WORLD. maybe they have been hit badly with shortage of funds. Borrow if you have to, and pay out decent money to the kids and families concerned. YOU should also answer to and pay heavy fines to government through the courts.

Edited by ginjag

Would like to know who operates these things-and who owns Dream WORLD.

The manager, anyway, was identified in an earlier incident six months ago...

Fun ride accident

By The Nation on Sunday

Published on June 13, 2010

A 15-year-old boy broke his arm and hurt his back after being "thrown off" the Spider thrill ride at Dream World Fun Park yesterday.

Pongthorn Singkhalo went to the amusement park in Pathum Thani with five family members. His brother, 13, told police it looked like Pongthorn was ejected from his seat, which was about two metres above ground, during the last spin around.

Dream World manager Thije Mansap said

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Video of the ride, which seems tame by amusement park standards, but which could easily spell disaster if one of the arms broke (as described in the OP):

A bit off topic, but I travel a lot and have to say that Swampy is a lovely airport and getting better all the time... I cannot think of a nicer airport in Asia, certainly not Honkers or Changi.... and the beer is cheaper if you know which fridge to shop in...haha just wish they could up-date the toilets a wee bit , but I`m sure thats on the list... Honkers wins on the toilet front...

A bit off topic, YOU jumped in there quick, defending swampy- not related I know-only a quick dig at the shoddy corrupt construction-and ongoing probs--around 80 per cent of readers think different-nice to be in a minority group. but if you could have replied to what 90 per cent that was written, better I not mention other headaches in the future, like safe driving--police-dreamworld--you may jump in to defend them, Mr traveller, maybe cause the beers cheap that tipped the scales eh?????

Would like to know who operates these things-and who owns Dream WORLD.

The manager, anyway, was identified in an earlier incident six months ago...

Fun ride accident

By The Nation on Sunday

Published on June 13, 2010

A 15-year-old boy broke his arm and hurt his back after being "thrown off" the Spider thrill ride at Dream World Fun Park yesterday.

Pongthorn Singkhalo went to the amusement park in Pathum Thani with five family members. His brother, 13, told police it looked like Pongthorn was ejected from his seat, which was about two metres above ground, during the last spin around.

Dream World manager Thije Mansap said

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Video of the ride, which seems tame by amusement park standards, but which could easily spell disaster if one of the arms broke (as described in the OP):

A child who has spent a good portion of his life riding the govt bus system here would get really bored on that ride :lol:

I had to smile at that. A case of art imitating life.

" Folks! Get your kids down to Dream World for the school holidays 2011! We've got loads of new rides for you to test the resources of the local Accident and Emergency Department including the

" 18 Wheeler Lane Weaver Rollercoaster " - Yep! Experience the thrill of sitting shotgun with a guy who hasn't slept for 2 days existing solely on M-150, Birdy coffee and the occasional toot as he hammers down the highway from Nong Khai to Hat Yai trying desperately to stay awake and avoid being fired. Will he weave left? Will he weave right? Will he stick it in the central reservation ditch? Who knows? That's part of the thrill ".

Edited by mca

Well there is problems in theme Parks all over the world. but in certain part's of it including Thailand it gets out of hand. As was mentioned earlier this ride has had problems on and off for a while.

it would seem they approach maintenance like they do in Condo's. Normally next to nothing. If they have a board who is on the ball it gets better. In a park with rides maintenance should be the number one priority and done by qualified people. On a regular basis.

The construction of the rides should have been closely monetered to make sure the equipment is up to standards. Not some body saying good enough.

The Park should have trained staff able at the first sign of trouble to drop every thing and help out. And be happy to do it.

• 3 months later...

I just went to this theme park a week ago and it was pretty fun. I took the GF, her mother and 6 year old around. Got a chance do ride just about everything 1 time, including the spider. Fun rides overall and I felt safe on the rides.

I do agree with the comment on the public (and some private) bus rides in thailand being just as dangerous if not more so. At least the roller coaster ride follows a fixed route every time. Do you know what that taxi/bus driver is going to do next?

it would seem they approach maintenance like they do in Condo's. Normally next to nothing. If they have a board who is on the ball it gets better. In a park with rides maintenance should be the number one priority and done by qualified people. On a regular basis.

Would you care to define 'qualified people'? This is Thailand. Having an impressive bit of paper, framed and hung up on the wall, counts for sweet F.A. unless you are easily totally deluded. It would be very unwise to suppose that such indicates any degree of competency - apart from 'working the system' that is.

More than one doctor has agreed with me that some of their profession colleagues are a positive danger to their patients, a lawyer advised me to never give a lawyer power of attorney or use one to act as the executor of a will. He refused such requests since, he said, like many others, he might not be able to resist enriching himself. Worthless qualifications are commonplace in Thailand. Ask yourself "Who watches the watchmen?" and the answer indicates the level of trustworthiness that may be placed on both professional and educational certificates. In the developed world a Thai qualification has about as much currency as a used bus ticket.

Poor little tykes. This of course does happen all over, but not a surprise when it happens here. Do yourselves a favour and take the kids to the park or zoo instead. ;)

A bit off topic, but I travel a lot and have to say that Swampy is a lovely airport and getting better all the time... I cannot think of a nicer airport in Asia, certainly not Honkers or Changi....

:lol: So much for the power of thought.