Scots-Irish Music In Bangkok?

timmyp

Is there any place in Bangkok with a Celtic music session? Also happy to get together to play bluegrass and old time music. I'm moving to Bangkok on Jan. 8, 2011, and would love to find some people to play with, especially a fiddler. Let me know if you hear of anything!

Many thanks--

I sometimes whistle "The Sash..." in the gent's toilets...

(that sounds more Frankie Howerd than Mason Boyne, but that is not the spirit in which it is intended, and I can assure you I look straight ahead....)

SC

Edit: manners replaced with spirits - that's always the way, this late at night...

Edited by StreetCowboy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I've seen the bluegrass band at the weekend market on YouTube.

Are they really a group? I see a guy playing banjo, but nobody else. There's someone keeping time on the spoons... in the background I hear a fiddle and some singing, but is that a recording backing them? Can't tell by the video. I'll probably stop by the market next week, thanks for the input.

Please let me know if you know if you hear of anyone else! I'm still on the prowl...

These kinds of trad tunes (Celtic music, bluegrass, old time) can take a couple forms:

1) People playing to perform (great fun to listen to and watch, as well as fun to perform)

2) People playing together just to be social (irrelevant if people are watching, not about performance)

I'm interested in both getting together and arranging and performing, but more than that, I'm interested in just hanging out and playing some tunes.

• 2 weeks later...

(that sounds more Frankie Howerd than Mason Boyne, but that is not the spirit in which it is intended, and I can assure you I look straight ahead....)

SC

Edit: manners replaced with spirits - that's always the way, this late at night...

I usually hum it myself, but have been known to do the full vocals.

SC

I thought there was a hum coming from the gent's toilets, but thought it prudent not to investigate...

SC

Still looking for trad sessions. Found a couple of bands that play electric versions of well-known Irish songs (like Danny Boy, Whiskey in the Jar, Black Velvet Band, etc.), but it's a set list with arrangements, not a session. The bands are still fun and keep everyone smiling. Almost all tunes played are songs, though sometimes a jig or reel is tossed in as the intro or instead of the fiddle player improving a solo.

For those interested, the bands play at Finnegan's and the Dubliner. There's the all-Thai "Error 99", with a tenor banjo, fiddle, and accordion. Great fun for Pogues fans. I also came across Celtic Colours with a flashy fiddle player from Japan. The keyboard player and fiddle player did a couple of well-known jigs and reels mixed in with the melody line. The fiddle player also did a couple of short airs on his own.

That all said, they aren't trad sessions, so I'm still on the look out. Please post if you know of any trad players out there, Celtic, old time, bluegrass, or anything else of that nature. Many thanks--

• 4 months later...

I would love to get together with you! Do you live here or just passing through? I still haven't found any sessions... people are pretty clueless about this music, they think it's singing Pogues songs or popular drinking songs. I really want to get a trad session going in BKK.

• 2 months later...

Did you boys get something going? I play a little tenor banjo and mandolin and would love to get back into it after letting my strings get rusty this last while. I know a bar that'd be happy to have us if we get a session going. We used to play there twice a week but everyone left town, would be great to get it going again.

• 1 month later...

As of Sept 2011, I still haven't gotten anything regular going. I've run into a couple of people who play tunes, but they've left town.

Yes, it would be great to get that weekly session going again for sure.

Please PM me if you know anyone who is interested in playing. I don't check this forum that often, so a direct message to me is better.

Edited by timmyp

SC

be carefull if you were doing that at ibrox you could be arrested(what a joke)

• 1 month later...

I would love to get together with you! Do you live here or just passing through? I still haven't found any sessions... people are pretty clueless about this music, they think it's singing Pogues songs or popular drinking songs. I really want to get a trad session going in BKK.

me likewise! I play a mean harmonica and sing 083 6879811. Ta an Gaeilge agam go foil.