Thai Language Courses Payment

macanello

I have a bit of a problem.I have been studying at Prolanguage( Thai course) for three months now and I have really enjoyed the learning experience and the teachers. I decided to go for the one year visa with Pro Language, but as soon as I gave them my credit card they refused my application asking me to get the 25000 in cash.

I have a cashflow problem at the moment and I cannot pull out 25000 with my card but I can pay for anything up to the value of 40000 . So I have no choice but to go to a school that will accept my credit card payment . (I even offered to pay the 4 percent levied to Pro Language but no go)

So could anyone tell me if schools in Bangkok accept payment by credit card or not. I would Email the schools but a lot are still closed.

Thanks

Macanello

It'd be a shame to lose out on the type of quality thai language program offered by Pro, just because they can't or won't accept credit cards.

FWIW: I went to their website and sent them a blind request saying I was interested in their year long course, and wanted to pay via a C/C. We'll see if I get an answer.

If they still won't do it, you could try Thai Language Station up on the 14th floor in the Time's Square building. It's a quality school as well very similar to Pro. There's also a pretty good one in the FICO Tower building on Asok called Thai Language Solutions. Language Express is another great choice. There certainly are no shortage of private thai language schools in the greater bangkok area, so call around, take their free class and see if they work for you.

You could also ask them if you could may payments every month or every three months on the program. I have noticed a LOT more schools have that type of system in place for tuition payments on yearly programs.

Good Luck, and before you switch schools, try to talk to the highest level person you can find in the office. Don't accept the answer from a desk cluck <sic> err, I meant desk clerk. Get to the office manager, or if possible the owner to really push the issue. You're out nothing by trying, and maybe won't hafta switch schools too. ..

I just got an email response from PRO Language, and indeed they don’t accept credit card payments for tuition. :( They do however accept bank transfers :) .

I have in the past, went into a thai bank, used my credit card, and had money transferred into a company’s thai bank account. You might check with your c/c issuer and see if this is a possibility. It would be a shame to forego the quality of thai language education PRO Language offers.

Then again, I’d say call some of the schools I recommended in the other post and see what they offer in terms of payment plans or methods. I have seen the ‘pay as you go’ plan becoming a LOT more popular in the thai language schools I’ve visited and reviewed.

(Shameless plug :whistling: )

Interested in my “take on a thai language school” here in Bangkok? Read the pinned thread at the top of this forum called appropriately enough; “Best Thai Language School”.

BTW: I’m NOT affiliated with ANY private thai language school, and only offer out the reviews for anyone who is sincerely interested in learning thai.

Good Luck

Walen certainly accpets credit cards for all of our courses. We also offer a very good alternative to karaoke style of teaching Thai by teaching directly in Thai so it could be a good change and new experience. New year will bring a lot of new things.

Walen School - faster than ever!

www.thaiwalen.com

You've stressed this point about Teaching Thai directly in Thai in a number of places. It sounds good, but I would think there's more to it than just that. It'd be interesting to see you open a frank and open discussion about the benefits of learning your way versus having grammar, patterns, high value phrases taught by an English speaking teacher early on.

Go to Walen. They accept credit cards.

As far as their method of teaching, the advantage to it is you start learning to think in Thai from square one. For example, instead of attaching 'prakaa' to the English word for pencil, you attach it directly to the object.

That's not to say that this method is for everyone, but it does have it's advantages.

As far as their method of teaching, the advantage to it is you start learning to think in Thai from square one. For example, instead of attaching 'prakaa' to the English word for pencil, you attach it directly to the object.

That's not to say that this method is for everyone, but it does have it's advantages.

You are certainly learning to think directly in Thai and picture words in Thai characters. Any serious student of Thai will have to learn Thai script sooner or latter. In case of Walen it is from day one lesson one!

Walen School - always here for you

www.thaiwalen.com

Edited by macwalen

Mac,

Thank you for that explanation. For us learners, please help us understand the meaning of:

"For example, instead of attaching 'prakaa' to the English word for pencil, you attach it directly to the object."

You are certainly learning to think directly in Thai and picture words in Thai characters. Any serious student of Thai will have to learn Thai script sooner or latter. In case of Walen it is from day one lesson one!

Walen School - always here for you

www.thaiwalen.com

It is easy, there was a little mistake, not a big deal, Lanxang meant a pen not a pencil. You picture words in Thai not in English if you use only Thai script when learning Thai. We believe this is the best way, learning Thai in its purest form.

Walen School - learn Thai script, it is good for you.

www.thaiwalen.com

It is easy, there was a little mistake, not a big deal, Lanxang meant a pen not a pencil. You picture words in Thai not in English if you use only Thai script when learning Thai. We believe this is the best way, learning Thai in its purest form.

www.thaiwalen.com

Thank you, Mac. I didn't realize that the Thai word for pen was "ปรากกา".

www.thaiwalen.com

Thank you, Mac. I didn't realize that the Thai word for pen was "ปรากกา".

He spelled it in karaoke Thai, as you can see Walen students are terrible at this task as they learn directly in Thai. That would explain why his karaoke was very inaccurate.:jap:

Walen School

www.thaiwalen.com

If you want a class where you really think in Thai from day one and never translate to English, go to AUA.

I went through all three books at Walen (and was one of the only students to speak in Thai to the teachers) and then went to Pro Language - the latter school really pushed my level of Thai much further.

While the Callan method is excellent, the sentences and words used at Walen are not high value. Think about it - can you order a coke? Tell someone you need to go to the bathroom before leaving, ask for a menu, ask to talk to someone on the phone, tell someone you will not give it to them, ask someone to open the door ... any phrase you'd use in basic conversation? You need those phrases to get you going.

Yes, Walen forced me to learn how to read which was excellent (btw I learned on my own with courage software interactive).

Maybe we should get back to the topic of how to pay at Pro rather than whether a braka (I don't understand how you get an R in there whether you've seen karaoke thai before or not) is a pen or a pencil and whether Walen makes you "think in thai".

It's interesting that not only did you get the word for pencil (ดินสอ) wrong, but that you wrote out your attempt in karaoke Thai instead of Thai. Not a very good advert for the method you're promoting, if I may say so.

Go to Walen. SNIPPED

Sadly this sounds all too much like yet another "shill post" for a school which shall remain nameless :whistling: .

Last time I checked (which I do periodically ;) ), the TOPIC of this thread is about C/C payments not being accepted at private thai language schools.

How in the heck did it morph into another one of the (n)ever popular and "(un)insightful methods to teach thai" threads? :bah:

Even more mind wobbling, how did it become a discussion about any school which has a method that "magically" makes the student begin to THINK in thai from day one, be it AUA or who ever ;). As a new student, sitting classes at ANY school that speaks ONLY thai for hours and HOURS, yields far more frustration than fruition early on.

Thinking in thai, when you can't even ask, "Where is the bathroom?" It's sheer madness to even entertain fanciful thoughts of that nature and you my posting friend are smoking something stronger than กัญชา maybe ยาบ้า!!

BACK ON TOPIC:

I called 5 other private thai language schools at random, which I just pulled outta my thai language school favorites folder, and they all will accept credit cards; IF you pay the percentage (which varies from 2-5%).

Anecdotally AND TOTALLY OFF TOPIC:

Several years ago I purchased an airline ticket from Honey Sun Travel (coincidentally a forum sponsor and a business which is under the "Walen corporate umbrella"). I was told in no uncertain terms I'd hafta pay a percentage to use my C/C to pay, but either a bank transfer to their account or cash would waive said percentage.

So, because enquiring minds (like nosy people such as myself) wanna know;

If a potential student elects to pay for their yearly tuition via C/C at Walen, is there an added percentage by using that method of payment? OR WHAT?

MODZ: please know I am NOT downin’ Walen or his sponsorship, only asking a genuine and quite valid question. ..

(In other words: PLEASE don't ban me! I already know I am close to the line.)

Thinking in thai, when you can't even ask, "Where is the bathroom?" It's sheer madness to even entertain fanciful thoughts of that nature and you my posting friend are smoking something stronger than กัญชา maybe ยาบ้า!!

i'm unsure where you got the thinking in thai comment or where is the bathroom? The aua comment was in response to the walen "student" who seemed to think the walen school was cutting out the middleman, ie English.

The bathroom and other phrases weremeant to demonstrate that many useful everyday patterns don't appear in walen, eg ขอ x หน่อย , x ก่อน, and the many uses of ให้

it appears that you and I may need to first work on our English reading and writting skills before considering any drugs let alone thai :)

Regarding those payments with credit cards (back to the topic) Walen does absorb the bank charge that is 3% or 4% (American Express) to make it easier for the students to pay. We get less but we are still happy to have a customer. Our school has been a positive force in the Thai language market for some time now. All our branches (5 now) accept credit card payments and no branch charges extra % for the payments made with one.

Also now we have a partnership program going so those who wish to become our partners can benefit financially and study effectively for free and make profit. If you are interested pm me.

Walen School - no credit card charge

www.thaiwalen.com

Edited by macwalen

It is interesting to see that these langauge schools want their money up front . I dont want to buy something that I havent yet received. Pay as you go should be the thing or pay the balence when you are in the school not all before . I would not object to a deposit to cover costs .

Progress is heading in the right direction in that regard. I notice that Walen School is saying up front please. Sending 25000bht to anybody for nothing doesn't sit too well with me

It is interesting to see that these langauge schools want their money up front . I dont want to buy something that I havent yet received. Pay as you go should be the thing or pay the balence when you are in the school not all before . I would not object to a deposit to cover costs .

Progress is heading in the right direction in that regard. I notice that Walen School is saying up front please. Sending 25000bht to anybody for nothing doesn't sit too well with me

Dear Sir, this is a standard practice all over the world that language schools charge fees upfront. You can visit any language school in Bangkok and tell them that you would like to pay after you have taken the lessons and see what they will say.

'Sending 25,000 to anybody for nothing'? I am not sure what you are talking about. If you need a visa assistance all the paperwork would be prepared as well as you purchase lessons. How can you say 'for nothing'.

Also nobody has ever lost money at Walen, if we cannot provide the service we will refund the money but it does not happen as we are competent at what we do.

Walen School - competent at what we do

www.thaiwalen.com

Edited by macwalen

Dear Sir, this is a standard practice all over the world that language schools charge fees upfront. You can visit any language school in Bangkok and tell them that you would like to pay after you have taken the lessons and see what they will say.

'Sending 25,000 to anubody for nothing'? I am not sure what you are talking about. If you need a visa assistance all the paperwork would be prepared as well as you purchase lessons. How can you say 'for nothing'.

Also nobody has ever lost money at Walen, if we cannot provide the service we will refund the money but it does not happen as we are competent at what we do.

www.thaiwalen.com

Also nobody has ever lost money at walen ????

well i lost money!

well not exactly money just about 60 lessons worth about 8000 baht!!

Which i was told had gone coz I went back to the uk coz of a family emergency and didnt inform them..

<SNIP>

Dear Sir, this is a standard practice all over the world that language schools charge fees upfront.<SNIP>

I beg to disagree , but I believe this information could be erroneous. :whistling:

Almost EVERY big name engrish language school out there and MORE than a few private thai language schools here accept payment via installment plans.

Some private thai language schools have a plan where you pay in 90 day increments. After youve paid for and attended your first 90 days of schooling; when you need to receive your paperwork to extend your ED visa, you pay the school for another 3 months of class time, get your extension paperwork, go extend your visa for another 90 days and keep on studying!:D

They don't charge more for this, they just spread the payments out so it's not a chunk 'o cash up front. So do they charge up front, technically yes, but not for a frickin years worth of class time, just 90 days worth at a time. This can make it much more attractive to people who are more cash conscious or who possibly aren't sure if they're gonna be here for an entire year.

FWIW: Language Express doesn't charge any percentage for accepting payments via credit card either and their year long 'standard' class offered in the morning has the best price point currently out there in the market, and I've scoped out 25+ schools at last count ;).

WHILE SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC:

As far as good bang-4-the-baht; I believe Language Express (a forum sponsor) and their premium thai course is the proverbial 'bar' by which other thai language schools should and most likely will be measured by in the very near future. :)

I said it before but I'll say it again; I've never ever seen such well put together high quality thai language materials like the books they have for that course. And I've got the text books from 8 or 9 different well known private thai schools littering my apartment.

The difference in price-point between a 'basic' year long thai language program at any one of the thai schools out there (all pretty much in line price wise) and the 'premium course' offered at Language Express is negligible indeed. In regards to quality it's almost like comparing crab apples :bah: to fresh picked oranges ;). Textbooks, learning resources, motivation of other students attending the classes and quality of their teaching staff is truly outstanding. Go sit a free class and take their in house computerized thai language level testing!

(BTW, if you didn't figure it out yet; I'm certainly NOT affiliated with ANY thai language school :o. Feel free to go to whatever thai school that floats your banana boat or bamboo raft ;). I just want people interested in studying thai to get good bang-4-their-baht;))

Edited by tod-daniels

'Sending 25,000 to anubody for nothing'? I am not sure what you are talking about. If you need a visa assistance all the paperwork would be prepared as well as you purchase lessons. How can you say 'for nothing'.

www.thaiwalen.com

Well well well dear Walen - here is another individual - me - who lost 22,500 baht on your "competent at what we do" Lessons.

Edited by Parvis

Is it just me? --- or .......

www.thaiwalen.com

Also nobody has ever lost money at walen ????

well i lost money!

well not exactly money just about 60 lessons worth about 8000 baht!!

Which i was told had gone coz I went back to the uk coz of a family emergency and didnt inform them..

No, that is not true. The lessons are paid for one year. If you turn up 3 years later then yes, your lessons are lost. Perhaps you should tell the whole story not just part of it.

Dear Khun Pravis,

We give a guarantee on our lessons. You should have complained at the time and replacement lessons would be given to you. We do not want to take any money for lessons that were not worth your money. You pass by our windows often and you see how busy we are and that we do not complain about the luck of customers. That means that there are students happy with our service. If some lessons are below expected quality we will replace them.

In you case you were also offered extra 30 free lessons which you took. Maybe you just do not like our school for whatever reason that is why some of your posts in relation to Walen are negative. I wish I could change it.

Walen School - we give a guarantee on our lessons.

www.thaiwalen.com

Edited by macwalen

Dear Khun Pravis,

We give a guarantee on our lessons. You should have complained at the time and replacement lessons would be given to you. We do not want to take any money for lessons that were not worth your money. You pass by our windows often and you see how busy we are and that we do not complain about the luck of customers. That means that there are students happy with our service. If some lessons are below expected quality we will replace them.

In you case you were also offered extra 30 free lessons which you took. Maybe you just do not like our school for whatever reason that is why some of your posts in relation to Walen are negative. I wish I could change it.

Walen School - we give a guarantee on our lessons.

www.thaiwalen.com

Dear Walen - Correct I took 30 free Group Lessons - you normally charge - I believe 150 baht for - and I paid 30 private lessons at 750 baht. I complained often and your remarks were - among others - "you are too old". I was NOT in need of a Visa - and that ofcourse was the problem - I just wanted good qualified Thai Language instructions.

I also noticed that a part of your advertising where you claimed "4x as effective private Lessons" - you have eliminated - since my attendance - for good reasons.

I am in Times Square often and noticed you appear to have 'changed' most - or all - your teachers. Yes - you appear to be busy with young individuals in need of a Visa.

You certainly did not guarantee your lessons to me - nor made an attempt to rectify legitimate complaints - but perhaps my complaints did have a positive effect - at this point.

Edited by Parvis

Ok guys

Here is an update on which course I have chosen and why.

I decided on the Language Express premium course after sitting in on a 2 hour lesson and taking the online test.

Their course coordinator, Khun Steph, was very helpful and sorted all my paper work out in one hour and yes I paid by Credit card.

So the result is I begin this morning with 4 hours of lessons and I am looking forward to it very much.

PS Thanks for your PM Todd as it helped me choose which schools to consider.

Mods please close this thread now as it has run its course

Macanello