Thais And The Environment

I remember as a youngster in the car with my family back home in Oz, i was probably 5yo or so and it was considered quite ok to throw your rubbish out of the window of your car as you drove along.

Then campaigns such as 'do not litter' and 'cleanup australia' and so on came along and from the education, the entire country changed.

I also remember years ago the attitude to chopping trees down was vastly different to know.

Quite so. I remember an episode on MadMen where the family were out on a pic nic and the wife merely shook all of the rubbish of the picnic blanket on their departing the parkland area.

And it has nothing at all to do with the different stratas of Thai society. On a trip to Pai there were many cashed up Thais (Pai being one of their favourite weekend getaways), dropping litter only 1 metre away from a solitary bin at a .beauty spot'.

I did, however, see a Burmese couple with their child just yesterday here on Phuket, make the effort to go dispose of some small piece of trash in a neighbours bin.

Anyone who's been to even downtown Bangkok would be taken aback by the lack of litter bins. Rubbish, both wet and dry, is allowed to fester in the ubiquitous black plastic bag, and so the local councils don't care either. Although I would say that their garbage disposal trucks and water hosing are very good, in urban areas.

Education via popular media, as you say, together with many more litter bins would be a good start.

Last week, I took a late afternoon stroll along Patong beach. As I walked along, I observed more than my fair share of tourists tossing their cigarette butts, bottle and plastic crap. As usual, the people that took their trash or were careful were the young westerners. Everywhere I looked were Asian, Arab, Indian and older European tourists littering. I am particularly scornful of the fat European in his speedo that tossed his chicken leg onto the beach from his chair where he was gnawing on it. And then I came across some Thai school kids. Not one littered. I passed them on my way down to the Kamala end and back. They hadn't left any juice bags, melon rinds or debris behind. I'm as rough as they come on some Thais on environmental issues, but we foreigners leave one heck of a negative nasty footprint in the tourist areas with our wasting of water, littering and wasteful motoring about. If we want Thais to respect the environment, we need to step up our game as well.

OPs post has been edited, as parts of it was naming and shaming Thais

Please keep it sivilized and within Forum rules

Did you know thailand has had the strictest motorbike emission requirements in the wolrd for a while, just recently matched by those introduced in EU?

and all new diesel vehicles will within this year have emission on par with Europe, Euro IV.

Thai government is focused on environment

Wondr what theyll be like in 2-3 years when they have been modified by the owners, laws are one thing enforcement an entirely different kettle of fish.

Driving Highways around Thailand, there are frequent roadblocks checking emission.

5 years old, they must be inspected every year

Not as efficient as EU, but on the other hand cars have been here only for a handful of decades

So the Buses (whats plural for Bus) and lorries probably pass these road blocks using cloaking technology like a stealth bomber or do they get a small fine !?

different age, different requierments. New vehicles are rather clean in LOS.

Just like in EU and US

if you fail in a test center/DLT, no tax sticker so not road legal.

If you fail in a road block, fine

".....it died because the knobs built up the soil around the base of the tree maybe 1m and the bark rotted, disease and fungus' settle in and it dies a slow death."

You don't know what caused this tree to die.

I imagine you approached the various local organisations with your condescending attitude, so you are unlikely ever to be in a position to improve the situation.

Thankyou for your input.....please ignore this thread from now on if you do not mind.....i am looking for people to assist with the request in the OP......you are obviously not one of them.

You clearly don't have the ability to eloquently convey your concerns to the local authorities.

".....it died because the knobs built up the soil around the base of the tree maybe 1m and the bark rotted, disease and fungus' settle in and it dies a slow death."

I imagine you approached the various local organisations with your condescending attitude, so you are unlikely ever to be in a position to improve the situation.

Thankyou for your input.....please ignore this thread from now on if you do not mind.....i am looking for people to assist with the request in the OP......you are obviously not one of them.

You clearly don't have the ability to eloquently convey your concerns to the local authorities.

Where is that laughing smiley.......you are funny Stander....cheers for the laugh

Where is that laughing smiley.......you are funny Stander....cheers for the laugh

Sorry for the oversight :rolleyes: