Punish The Parents To Set An Example On Law And Order In Thailand

webfact

rolleyes.gif Following my 1st post approx 1hr ago I am back to follow up my interest and make a comment I have what I call my wife and her daughter 14yrs old they both ride a motor bike the wife wears a skid lid all the time the young wears hers until she is out of my sight

when I ask why she takes the skid lid off she pretends not to understand which angers me. I have now come to the conclusion that I am wasting my breath but see,ing how I have not seen many of her school chums 3/4 on a bike without skid lids and BIBs outside the school allowing this I now understand that there is not much LAW in Thailand.

As posts have stated the BIBs are only interested in TEA MONEY. In the 4yrs I have been here I have had a motorbike and car licence THAI I have only been spoken to by BIBs once and they only asked where I lived and that did not cost anything touch wood but I never ride a bike without my lid on I have known a few mates in the U/K who are now dead and seen many accidents here and that did not have to happen mostly because of what I call STUPIDITY .

As for the punishment of parents HOW can you Punish if there is no LAW

The Law is there when it suits them.

Exactly!!!

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the first statements made to those taking the driver education courses use to be "65% of you will have a accident in your first 3 years of motor vehicle use" Even with the 30 hours classroom and 6 hour supervised driving, this was a fairly accurate number. Granted the male drivers raised this number as they were on the road more as a driver, than the girls.

The insurance recognized this, thus premiums for males under 25 was much higher than insuring a female of the same age.Most get by with fender benders, those only the parents/insurance hear about. Those that result in death make the news in any country. Most parents make sure the coverage will cover anyone who would be driving. I do not think most would apply in Thailand.

There is a big school down the road from me.

Everyday I see hundreds HUNDREDS of underage school children riding motorcycles to school, many of them three-up and almost all with no helmet.

Things only get said when tragedies like this occur but as long as there is widespread corruption and as long as the Police keep on doing the fine job they're doing, then nothing will ever change.

Two kids got killed going to school 2 months ago, hit by a songtheiw loaded, nay, overloaded with kids. The Police decided to man the school gates but after a month they stopped. Probably too busy doing important work (collecting money)...

Yes indeed.

Punishment? Thailand? LOL Is that an oxymoron? Or just moronic thinking that anywhere in Thailand someone is punished to the full extent of ...... wait for it....... "the law." LOL Not in Lack of Sanctions (LOS)

Hell parents here can not even control their 4 year olds. Excuse me I did not mean "can't" it should have read - won't.

Thai Highway Code

English Version

2006 Revised Edition

Black and white striped paths have been painted across many roads in city and town centres. These highly decorative road markings are for the entertainment of Foreign tourists who seem to enjoy walking on them – they require no special action on the part of the motorist.

So true. Trouble with zebra crossings in Thailand is that you don't know where they are. Stand kerbside and look up and down the road. It is so chock full of cars you have no idea where a crossing may be. In the UK during my youth I remember an orange flashing globe on top of a pole ... Belisha beacon ... at each end of the crossing. Useful to both pedestrian and motorist to help identify where there is a crossing.

yes...

and while they are at it - they should punish the grand parents for not educating their children to educate their children...

In fact why not throw the monks in jail too - for not educating the minds of those responsible...

the list goes on....

when i was a teenager (yep i stole a few cars too, motorcycles, went on a rampage and got in all sorts of trouble)

luckily no one was hurt - and as i grew older i saw the error of my ways, and changed before it was too late...

But if i look back at why i did those things? it was absolutely in no way that my parents were responsible for a bad upbringing or not educating me of the rights and wrongs... the reasons i did those things was a lot more simple and selfish...

i wanted to have fun... combined with hormones, peer pressure, a developing mind, a miscievious outlook, and experimental and curious nature...

was that my parents fault? should they have locked me up in a cage? was it the governments fault? whos fault was it?

sometimes we all want to point the finger at someone... get some justice... get an answer...

sadly the world is far to complex in its karmic and unpredictable ways for us to even comprehend, we try to simplify things...by pointing fingers at things...

what happened to the 16 year old girl also happens to 36 year olds at the wheel... its an unfortunate event and blaming the parents may not be the solution to a problem...

instead why not build safer roads... limit cars and traffic congestion, put barriers around bus stops, improve the THAI DRIVING TEST, spend some of that government money on something instead of trying to point fingers...

• 3 weeks later...

For some perspective the below are stats for 16-17 year old drives involved in accidents with fatalities in USA. I dont know if similar stats are available for thailand for comparison.

Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death among teens in the United States, accounting for approximately one third of deaths in this age group.[1] Crash risk is highest during the first years of independent driving.[2] To characterize trends in fatal crashes involving drivers aged 16 or 17 years, CDC analyzed data from the Fatality Analysis Report System (FARS) for 2004–2008. This report summarizes the results of that analysis, which indicated that, during 2004–2008, a total of 9,644 passenger vehicle drivers aged 16 or 17 years were involved in fatal crashes. During that period, the annual population-based rate for drivers aged 16 or 17 years involved in fatal crashes declined 38%, from 27.1 per 100,000 population in 2004 to 16.7 in 2008. By state, 5-year annualized rates for drivers aged 16 or 17 years involved in fatal crashes ranged from 9.7 per 100,000 population in New Jersey and New York to 59.6 in Wyoming. To further reduce fatal crashes involving young drivers, states should periodically reexamine and update graduated driver licensing (GDL) programs, and communities should vigorously enforce laws on minimum legal drinking age, blood alcohol concentration (BAC), and safety belt use, all of which can reduce the number of fatal crashes among young drivers.

FARS is a census of fatal traffic crashes in the United States maintained by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. For this study, records of drivers involved in fatal crashes during 2004–2008 were examined. A fatal crash was defined as one in which at least one vehicle occupant or nonoccupant (e.g., bicyclist or pedestrian) involved in the crash died within 30 days of the crash. Analyses were restricted to drivers of passenger vehicles (i.e., automobiles, sport utility vehicles, pickup trucks, and vans). Of the 10,048 drivers aged 16 or 17 years involved in fatal crashes, 9,644 (96%) drove passenger vehicles. U.S. census population estimates for persons aged 16 or 17 years and persons aged ≥18 years were used to calculate rates of fatal crash involvement. To examine state-specific rates for drivers aged 16 or 17 years involved in fatal crashes, 2004–2008 crash data and census data were aggregated separately, and an annualized rate was calculated for each state. The annualized rates then were compared with 2008 state-specific fatality rates for all crashes involving passenger vehicles.

During 2004–2008, a total of 9,644 drivers aged 16 or 17 years were involved in 9,494 fatal crashes. A total of 4,705 (50%) crashes involved one vehicle; 3,976 (42%) involved two vehicles; and 813 (8%) involved three or more vehicles. A total of 8,274 (87%) crashes resulted in one fatality, 986 (10%) resulted in two fatalities, and 234 (3%) resulted in three or more fatalities.

Of the 11,019 persons who died in these crashes, 4,071 (37%) were drivers aged 16 or 17 years; 3,428 (31%) were passengers of those drivers; 1,987 (18%) were drivers of other vehicles (aged ≥18 years, aged <16 years, and of unknown age); and 805 (7.3%) were passengers of those other drivers. Another 728 (6.7%) persons were other road users (e.g., bicyclists or pedestrians).

A total of 6,280 (65%) drivers aged 16 or 17 years involved in fatal crashes were male; 3,429 (36%) of drivers in the age group were reported speeding at the time of the crash. Of the 4,459 (46%) whose BAC levels were known, 3,512 (79%) had zero BAC. Of the 947 drivers with a positive BAC, levels ranged from 0.01 g/dL to 0.55 g/dL, with a median of 0.11 g/dL; 678 (72%) of these drivers had a BAC of ≥0.08 g/dL, above the legal limit for drivers aged ≥21 years. Drivers aged <21 years, who cannot purchase alcohol legally, are subject to lower BAC limits in every state (i.e., >0.00 g/dL, ≥0.01 g/dL, or ≥0.02 g/dL, depending on the state).

snippet http://www.medscape....4&src=journalnl