Plastic Bags Not A Wise Substitute For Condoms: Thai Health Ministry

webfact

Plastic bags not a wise substitute for condoms: ministry

By PONGPHON SARNSAMAK

THE NATION

med_gallery_327_1086_7129.jpg

Using plastic bags instead of condoms during sex would put teenagers at risk of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and severe vaginal lacerations, the Public Health Ministry warned yesterday.

A study has shown that some Mathayom 1 students in the Northeast had used plastic bags to prevent pregnancies and STDs.

Public Health Minister Jurin Laksanawisit said yesterday that the Disease Control Department's Aids, Tuberculosis and Sexual Transmitted Disease Bureau had informed him that the use of plastic bags was unusual among teenagers who want to experience sex.

But this unsafe behaviour could lead to injuries and infections of the sex organ.

The ministry has been distributing more than 20 million condoms a year to the public.

People can get free condoms in their villages from primary-care units and health volunteers.

About 20,000 vending machines have been deployed in public spaces nationwide by the ministry so people can easily access prophylactics. About 5 million pieces a year have been purchased from condom-vending machines.

The ministry now is speeding up its campaign to raise awareness among teenagers about condom use and pregnancy prevention at an early age, Jurin said.

Dr Somsak Akkhasilpsaid, deputy director of the bureau, said people could buy condoms from vending machines installed at the department.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-05

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This reminds me of how, in the UK, it was reported a few years ago that teenagers were using cling film as a condom substitute since they couldn't afford to buy condoms - and if they didn't have cling film they'd use aluminium foil. Ouch!

I can hear it now ..... darling do not worry .... IT IS IN THE BAG! Hihihihihihihihihi :whistling:

How many would be using them from Tesco Lotus ? could use party balloons, shower caps, one unborn twin said to the other-it's raining out side-there a man in here with a plastic mac on. :lol: :lol:

Well at least they try to do something about it... Some of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the industrialized world are found in countries who do have nuclear power for a long time already, hereby referring to an earlier post. Please look in the own backyards first, it ain't all sunshine you know, It must be a better quality plastic in Thailand I guess. :rolleyes:

Way, way back in the 1950s and before hardly anyone used condoms or rubber Johnnies as they were known in those days, except when they were concerned about unwanted pregnancies.

The purchasing of condoms was limited to drug stores and gentlemen’s hairdressers. The famous words were; do you require anything for the weekend, Sir? Who can remember that?

Then during the 1960s came the invention of the birth pill that was seen as a new revolution to sexual freedom. The sales of condoms dropped to almost nothing, as for STDs the worst that could happen is that a person caught a dose that many considered was no big deal. As a matter of fact I can remember when a work pal caught a dose of the clap and he was treated as some sort of hero, meaning he was one of the lads.

Then during the early 1980s HIV & aids reared it`s ugly head. This period became boom time for the condom companies; the discovery of the aids virus was the best thing that ever happened for them.

Now companies such as Durex and Trojan have never had it so good.

If only I could have foreseen the future when the sale of condoms were down to rock bottom. I would have staked all my savings into the condom companies such as Durex, which was the largest group of condom manufacturers at the time. Perhaps I could have been a rich man today.

Way, way back in the 1950s and before hardly anyone used condoms or rubber Johnnies as they were known in those days, except when they were concerned about unwanted pregnancies.

The purchasing of condoms was limited to drug stores and gentlemen’s hairdressers. The famous words were; do you require anything for the weekend, Sir? Who can remember that?

Then during the 1960s came the invention of the birth pill that was seen as a new revolution to sexual freedom. The sales of condoms dropped to almost nothing, as for STDs the worst that could happen is that a person caught a dose that many considered was no big deal. As a matter of fact I can remember when a work pal caught a dose of the clap and he was treated as some sort of hero, meaning he was one of the lads.

Then during the early 1980s HIV & aids reared it`s ugly head. This period became boom time for the condom companies; the discovery of the aids virus was the best thing that ever happened for them.

Now companies such as Durex and Trojan have never had it so good.

If only I could have foreseen the future when the sale of condoms were down to rock bottom. I would have staked all my savings into the condom companies such as Durex, which was the largest group of condom manufacturers at the time. Perhaps I could have been a rich man today.

Hey. Sex sells.

april fool?

NO it cant be...got to check the calander

Joke?

NO

life IS a joke around here

the biggest reason why i'm here in the first place

Edited by Maestro
Deleted off-topic and non-English attachment.