Russian Tourist Stabbed And Robbed By Construction Workers

Rimmer

I have lived in or been visiting Thailand for the last 24 years and have never been attacked by a Thai person (except for once by a wealthy guy when I admittedly provoked him). This includes countless trips to Pattaya, years living in Bangkok, and journeys to remote parts of the country via public transport and motorcyle. All these sweeping negative generalizations about Thais sound like complete crap to me. If a foreigner has such a low opinion of Thai people, why would they stay in Thailand? I suggest all of you move to or take your next holiday in Singapore.

That being said, I have observed that the culture is becoming more aggressive and Thais in general are becoming less polite and friendly over the past several years. Maybe that's what happens when the number of tourists entering the country goes from 3 million a year (in 1987) to 15 million a year (2010), particularly when an increasing portion of those tourists seem to have absolutely no interest in Thailand other than shopping, boozing, taking drugs and listening to crappy music in "clubs", and getting laid as cheaply as possible.

This Russian guy obviously did not deserve to get stabbed and robbed, but using an incident like this to make out that all Thais are vicious and predatory thugs is absolutely absurd.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this line from the story, "Once found, the suspects can expect to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.".........ummmmmm........what is that supposed to mean? really? the "full extent of the law"....what law?

I hope he gets better soon and makes a full recovery.

I had to chuckle at that too. " the full extent of the law"...that is a joke especially the law that protects the falang. If it's a fathai, then it may be examined a little closer and of course that darn falang was the culprit that started it all and the fathai's were just defending themselves and figured it was pay day after defending themselves. This, of course will be discussed between the "aleged" perps and oficer and then tip the officer(with the Russians money) to show thier thanks for understanding what really happened. The officer will shake his head in a discusted manner at how this darned Russian attacked all of them. The russian didn't really have any money on him because he spent all he had in the bar. They were just helping him home for a friendly thing to do for a foriegnor not familiar with the area.

We can't blame these fathai's for this as this kind of behavior is derived deep inside the cerebral cortex and is actually called the "old brain" or limbic system. This is the part that gives the natural instinct for survival and also pleasure senses. Also, this limbic system goes into overdrive when drugs are introduced into the body i.e. alcohol etc. The outer laters actually called the "new brain" or the actual "cerebral cortex" will be subdued due to the comsumption of alcohol and let the :old brain control the survival instinct to which "money" is the same as a drug. This "as soon as caught" will be the defense and of course , by jury with the great logic of thai'e will see fit for aquital. back to thier normal life and bar after work. They will understand all this of course, because it is thai thing to be logical...right?:jap:

Gee, it was just a sexpate . Aren't all falang's just sexpates and rich and the only reason for being here is to have sex with teen age girls?...surre...of course that's it. "Once found"?:whistling:....I'm sure they are hunting them down like blood hounds and are angry as hell and these thai police want justice done! But first, after thier rounds of businesses picking up protection money "chicago style" then off to the hunt. This, I'm sure was the first time these thai fella's were ever in that bar and no one will be able to find out who they were nor will anyone know of any contruction that is going on close by or in bkk or pattaya...impossible to find out those things of course!....Even the detectives can't find out thse type of things! same in your own country, right? if a gang of contruction workers goes into a bar and then stabs and robs a person , no one will be able to find them...right?:rolleyes:

..I hope the Russian is ok now and hope he learned a valuable lesson! He is lucky he is not in the morgue. He will have a good story to tell his friends back home and of course they will want to jump on the first airplane to los to tour. The TAT needs to crack down on this kind of thing if they want those tourists dollars to keep coming.

This of course will help the Thailand tourists experience, at which is slowly becoming a place to stay away from slowly but surely. Thailand is second only to Columbia, South America, for murder rates IN THE WORLD. That should tell you something! Are you safe in Thailand? hmm well, that's a good one. Columbia of course is known for it's drug cartel murders but what is Thailand known for, for the amount of murders ...hmmm......It is a wonder at how many falang seem to commit suicide in los......suicide, my butt!!.......there is your "total extent of the law" written off as just another british guy jumping....but after he has completed bulding his new house....doesn't everyone want to jump to thier death after building thier new home and spent most of their savings to retire happily with his new thai wife? (and her boyfriend in the shadows).....but wait, that's not fair because he fell during the party..:drunk:.ya that's it...he fell accidentally!!!!.....poor fella's. :(

Ooooohh

i guess the Russian just fell over....like they usually do!

Russians can be very agresseive when they drink, so anything can happen... what was he doing in a dark soi so late... he was drunk and looking for someting is my guess....

Baaaaaaaa

Always a "GROUP" of Thai blokes bashing one farang. Never hear of a one on one fight, they are like wild dogs once they drink a tiny amount of alcohol. The Russian would of probably snapped anyone of them in half one on one, <deleted>*king cowards!!!!

There is a lesson for newbies here. Do not consort, or even go near, a drunk Thai and certainly not a flange of them. I use the collective noun advisedly.

Guess I'd better stop seeing half my drinking buddies then given that they're so dangerous. One thing I can't understand is why they haven't robbed or assaulted me in the last two years. Come to think of it, Farangs win 1-0 in the assaulting me stakes - probably best to avoid drinking with all Farang as well.

I pity you with your ignorant attitude.

What a pity it is that you are so uneducated that you cannot interpret and understand a simple message. Most people whose brain is not fuddled by an excess of booze would have assumed that I meant a group of Thai strangers. To counter that I am in any way prejudiced against Thais allow me to expand my warning to include any drunks especially Brit skinheads and Russians.

I too have been known to sup with Thai folk but they have always almost invariably been long term friends and/or family members. I was once invited by seemingly respectable Thais to join them at their table when I was the only farang in a late night bar where a good band provided the music. Their rationale was that even though I was sitting at the bar minding my own business they thought that being a lone farang that I was in some danger.

Since you, on your own admission, have so many drinking buddies it seems reasonable to suppose that you are a regular and probably heavy imbiber. If this is the case then I pity you that you have to rely on alcohol to get you through your days.

Your reference to my attitude I take that to be a muttering from a malcontent with their life who needs a prop (that may well turn into a dependency) to function. My view seems to be supported by not a few other posters. Do you pity them for their ignorant attitude too?

It should be interesting to see if these Thai Thugs are prosecuted to the "Fullest Extent of The Law." Based on what I have seen over the past 10 years, I am not to impressed.

But of course, these are poor contruction workers who just may in fact be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the so called Law since they lack the resources and do not come from wealthy families who can

pay large sums of money to the judicial system for Unaccountability!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only problem I ever had in BKK (about 8 years ago) was being assaulted by a couple of Pommie skin heads. Never had a problem with Thai people - ever.

I'll take Russians over these folks any day. The UK should require mandatory IQ tests before issuing passports, that would weed out most of this riff-raff.

Pommie Skinheads? Mandatory IQ tests for UK passports? So, how did this get on to an English-knocking session? Then again use of the word 'pommie' kind of gives away your OZ origins, and we DO have a bit of history, don't we.. met some great people from OZ (and everywhere else!!) here though, so whatever, knock away!!! (I just hope the poor guy recovers and those responsible get what they deserve!! - as building workers they may not even be Thai, but Burmese, from my experience, note!)

:wai:

Let's get real here folks! Any person of any nationality who wanders around drunk at 4am in any big city in the world, and who then decides to join a group of strangers who are drinking, is just asking for trouble.

Thailand is second only to Columbia, South America, for murder rates IN THE WORLD. That should tell you something!

It tells me you need to find a new source of reference.

Yes. Do you have a solid reference to that statement?

Crime Statistics > Murders (per capita) (most recent) by country

VIEW DATA: Totals Per capita Definition Source printable.gifPrintable version Bar Graph Map function selectDate(e) { var d = e.options[e.selectedIndex].value; var url = window.location.toString(); url = url.replace(/&date=\d\d\d\d(-\d\d-\d\d)?/, ''); if(d) { url += '&date=' + d; } else { url = url.replace('/red/', '/'); } window.location = url; }

Showing latest available data. .td70 { width: 70px; text-align: right; white-space:nowrap; } .td40 { width: 40px; text-align: right; } .td150 { width: 150px; } .td180 { width: 180px; text-align: right; } .td225 { width: 225px; vertical-align: middle; }Rank Countries opacity.gifAmount down.gif # 1 Colombia:0.617847 per 1,000 people # 2 South Africa:0.496008 per 1,000 people # 3 Jamaica:0.324196 per 1,000 people # 4 Venezuela:0.316138 per 1,000 people # 5 Russia:0.201534 per 1,000 people # 6 Mexico:0.130213 per 1,000 people # 7 Estonia:0.107277 per 1,000 people # 8 Latvia:0.10393 per 1,000 people # 9 Lithuania:0.102863 per 1,000 people # 10 Belarus:0.0983495 per 1,000 people # 11 Ukraine:0.094006 per 1,000 people # 12 Papua New Guinea:0.0838593 per 1,000 people # 13 Kyrgyzstan:0.0802565 per 1,000 people # 14 Thailand:0.0800798 per 1,000 people # 15 Moldova:0.0781145 per 1,000 people # 16 Zimbabwe:0.0749938 per 1,000 people # 17 Seychelles:0.0739025 per 1,000 people # 18 Zambia:0.070769 per 1,000 people # 19 Costa Rica:0.061006 per 1,000 people # 20 Poland:0.0562789 per 1,000 people # 21 Georgia:0.0511011 per 1,000 people # 22 Uruguay:0.045082 per 1,000 people # 23 Bulgaria:0.0445638 per 1,000 people # 24 United States:0.042802 per 1,000 people # 25 Armenia:0.0425746 per 1,000 people # 26 India:0.0344083 per 1,000 people # 27 Yemen:0.0336276 per 1,000 people # 28 Dominica:0.0289733 per 1,000 people # 29 Azerbaijan:0.0285642 per 1,000 people # 30 Finland:0.0283362 per 1,000 people # 31 Slovakia:0.0263303 per 1,000 people # 32 Romania:0.0250784 per 1,000 people # 33 Portugal:0.0233769 per 1,000 people # 34 Malaysia:0.0230034 per 1,000 people # 35 Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of:0.0229829 per 1,000 people # 36 Mauritius:0.021121 per 1,000 people # 37 Hungary:0.0204857 per 1,000 people # 38 Korea, South:0.0196336 per 1,000 people # 39 Slovenia:0.0179015 per 1,000 people # 40 France:0.0173272 per 1,000 people # 41 Czech Republic:0.0169905 per 1,000 people # 42 Iceland:0.0168499 per 1,000 people # 43 Australia:0.0150324 per 1,000 people # 44 Canada:0.0149063 per 1,000 people # 45 Chile:0.014705 per 1,000 people # 46 United Kingdom:0.0140633 per 1,000 people # 47 Italy:0.0128393 per 1,000 people # 48 Spain:0.0122456 per 1,000 people # 49 Germany:0.0116461 per 1,000 people # 50 Tunisia:0.0112159 per 1,000 people # 51 Netherlands:0.0111538 per 1,000 people # 52 New Zealand:0.0111524 per 1,000 people # 53 Denmark:0.0106775 per 1,000 people # 54 Norway:0.0106684 per 1,000 people # 55 Ireland:0.00946215 per 1,000 people # 56 Switzerland:0.00921351 per 1,000 people # 57 Indonesia:0.00910842 per 1,000 people # 58 Greece:0.0075928 per 1,000 people # 59 Hong Kong:0.00550804 per 1,000 people # 60 Japan:0.00499933 per 1,000 people # 61 Saudi Arabia:0.00397456 per 1,000 people # 62 Qatar:0.00115868 per 1,000 people

This I got from a quick google to wikipedia. It shows the previous statement as being not quite correct going on per capita. Not hard really. To do a little research before posting now is it?

I often wander around Suratthani where there are very few farang. The people are all polite and friendly to me. Towns like this are the 'real' Thailand. If thats what you are looking for, forget Pattaya etc., they are just frontier settlements attracting all the riff raff. from both sides of the worlds community.
Right, right! Just try walking into a local karaoke joint and putting the moves on some Thai poontang and see how friendly they are. Edited by RusticCharm

How about we restrict commentary on this forum to long term residents of Pattaya? This way we can eliminate the inane input of the armchair sociologists.

Probably for the same reason why men are allowed to post in the Ladies Forum. And why Christians/Muslims/athiests/etc. are allowed to post in the Buddhism Forum. And why non-teachers are allowed to post in the Teaching Forum......because anyone can have any opinion on a public forum, and not just those people who "belong" in that group.

they are really few Thai people do like that beat farangs that bad;

probably the Russian guy scold the Thai guy about some reason

which we dont know.. nobody beat like that for no reason

Wrong, .....

You need to keep reading the news reports, since you're a "newbie"

(or alternatively read the past news reports or postings of assaults, murders and robberies by Thais (including policemen).

But saying that, there are probably also many occasions when farang provoke or start fights too. Just don't think that Thais beat anyone for any reason, because in fact they do, just like any other race of people.

Thais can't hold their liquor? - THais can't do this, Thais can't do that...THEY aren't capable of......the trouble with Thais is......

the problem here is pure racism on the part of some posters.

This is a robbery - same as anywhere - some unpleasant people involved - assuming the reports are accurate - which is unlikley

I don't agree with some of the things you've posted before, and I think your aggressive posting style doesn't help constructive debate at time, but you are 100% spot on with this post.

These construction workers probably should change their site or smarter yet, their city. The last people I'd be *%ing with in Pattaya is the Russians.

The Russians are the last people you want to <deleted> with anywhere! Would 10 dead construction workers make the news?

You guys have been watching too much television. The Russians have been under control ever since that group robbed a bank and shot a Thai security guard a few years back. They, like all other mafias in Thailand are subordinate to the dominant criminal group. I don't think the construction workers have a great deal to worry about from the Russians, although they may come to regret their actions before too long.

H

Thailand is second only to Columbia, South America, for murder rates IN THE WORLD. That should tell you something!

He means Gun murders, which looks something like this:

# 1 South Africa:74.5748 # 2 Colombia:51.7683 # 3 Thailand:33.0016 # 4 Guatemala:18.5 # 5 Paraguay:7.3508 # 6 Zimbabwe:4.746 # 7 Mexico:3.6622 # 8 United States:3.6 # 9 Belarus:3.31 # 10 Barbados:2.9963 # 11 Uruguay:2.5172 # 12 Lithuania:2.2463 # 13 Slovakia:2.1659 # 14 Côte d'Ivoire:2.068 # 15 Estoni

from tonititan Probably for the same reason why men are allowed to post in the Ladies Forum. And why Christians/Muslims/athiests/etc. are allowed to post in the Buddhism Forum. And why non-teachers are allowed to post in the Teaching Forum......because anyone can have any opinion on a public forum, and not just those people who "belong" in that group.

Have to disagree particulary when it comes to Teaching forum ! I dared several times to give an unbiased opinion in there to have my wrists slapped and told to stand in the naughty corner !

Shame really as we run a huge international education based company and have a lot to offer.

H

He means Gun murders, which looks something like this:

# 1 South Africa:74.5748 # 2 Colombia:51.7683 # 3 Thailand:33.0016 # 4 Guatemala:18.5 # 5 Paraguay:7.3508 # 6 Zimbabwe:4.746 # 7 Mexico:3.6622 # 8 United States:3.6 # 9 Belarus:3.31 # 10 Barbados:2.9963 # 11 Uruguay:2.5172 # 12 Lithuania:2.2463 # 13 Slovakia:2.1659 # 14 Côte d'Ivoire:2.068 # 15 Estoni

Ummm! Sorry. But I didn't see the word GUN in that post. My mistake obviously. ;)

Have to disagree particulary when it comes to Teaching forum ! I dared several times to give an unbiased opinion in there to have my wrists slapped and told to stand in the naughty corner !

Shame really as we run a huge international education based company and have a lot to offer.

I can believe that someone didn't value or agree with your opinion, or may have said, "What do you know? You're not a teacher." That's just like when people are talking negatively about Pattaya and some of the posters say "You don't even live here....how do you know a thing about Pattaya?" The poster I was responding to said that this thread should be "restricted" to long-time Pattaya residents. Were you restricted from using the Teaching Forum? Or restricted from posting in a certain thread?

You can comment on any thread you want.....doesn't mean people will think you have anything valuable to say. My point to the OP was that, as far as I know, none of the forums on TV are restricted to users of certain geographic locations/occupations/religions/genders/etc.

I can believe that someone didn't value or agree with your opinion, or may have said, "What do you know? You're not a teacher." That's just like when people are talking negatively about Pattaya and some of the posters say "You don't even live here....how do you know a thing about Pattaya?" The poster I was responding to said that this thread should be "restricted" to long-time Pattaya residents. Were you restricted from using the Teaching Forum? Or restricted from posting in a certain thread?

You can comment on any thread you want.....doesn't mean people will think you have anything valuable to say. My point to the OP was that, as far as I know, none of the forums on TV are restricted to users of certain geographic locations/occupations/religions/genders/etc.

Not from my experience , I was told I would be banned simply for putting a valued and well informed point up that disagreed with the OP.Ill probaly get the same threat now for discussing it. Simply put depends on the thread and who moderates it some are perhaps a little to keen.Think of whistle man in most carparks youll get my point.

Not from my experience , I was told I would be banned simply for putting a valued and well informed point up that disagreed with the OP.Ill probaly get the same threat now for discussing it. Simply put depends on the thread and who moderates it some are perhaps a little to keen.Think of whistle man in most carparks youll get my point.

Yeah, but did you get warned/banned because of the content of what you said, or purely because you are not a teacher? That's the difference. The poster in question wanted all non-Pattaya residents restricted from posting in here about Pattaya.....not just the posters who had said something truly offensive or against the TV rules.

Lots of construction workers have set up camp within a kilometer of where i live by the local market which has resulted in a rise of burglaries and muggings. They are always fighting and police are forever going up there... I, however, do not go there anymore! These mindless idiots are too dangerous in packs! wacko.gif

A speedy recovery to the Russian victim

I often wander around Suratthani where there are very few farang. The people are all polite and friendly to me. Towns like this are the 'real' Thailand. If thats what you are looking for, forget Pattaya etc., they are just frontier settlements attracting all the riff raff. from both sides of the worlds community.
Right, right! Just try walking into a local karaoke joint and putting the moves on some Thai poontang and see how friendly they are.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I have lived in or been visiting Thailand for the last 24 years and have never been attacked by a Thai person (except for once by a wealthy guy when I admittedly provoked him). This includes countless trips to Pattaya, years living in Bangkok, and journeys to remote parts of the country via public transport and motorcyle. All these sweeping negative generalizations about Thais sound like complete crap to me. If a foreigner has such a low opinion of Thai people, why would they stay in Thailand? I suggest all of you move to or take your next holiday in Singapore.

That being said, I have observed that the culture is becoming more aggressive and Thais in general are becoming less polite and friendly over the past several years. Maybe that's what happens when the number of tourists entering the country goes from 3 million a year (in 1987) to 15 million a year (2010), particularly when an increasing portion of those tourists seem to have absolutely no interest in Thailand other than shopping, boozing, taking drugs and listening to crappy music in "clubs", and getting laid as cheaply as possible.

This Russian guy obviously did not deserve to get stabbed and robbed, but using an incident like this to make out that all Thais are vicious and predatory thugs is absolutely absurd.

"All these sweeping negative generalizations about Thais...." ... charmonman, please go back and read my post about attacks in NongKhai province - it refers to ACTUAL, FACTUAL attacks by groups of Thai youths always on lone Farangs doing nothing worse than walking home at night - and no, not all pissed - some of them tea-total in fact. If you go all the other way and take yor personal anecdotal line of "Nothing much has happened to me ..." then you are as ( logically ) flawed as the bigots you rightly castigate - collect facts, not personal reminiscences. You are as much a generaliser (in a positive direction) as the prejudiced Thai-bashers ( in a a negative direction). Bertrand Russell teaching reasoning by Induction: Turkeys are fed and watered every day for 364 days, so they induce: life is good...then comes Xmas. You've just had a lot of nice days for turkeys. Many of my friends have had bad Xmases, and been set upon by Thais. FACT.

Edited by crazydrummerpauly

Crime Statistics > Murders (per capita) (most recent) by country

VIEW DATA: Totals Per capita Definition Source printable.gifPrintable version Bar Graph Map function selectDate(e) { var d = e.options[e.selectedIndex].value; var url = window.location.toString(); url = url.replace(/&date=\d\d\d\d(-\d\d-\d\d)?/, ''); if(d) { url += '&date=' + d; } else { url = url.replace('/red/', '/'); } window.location = url; }

Showing latest available data. .td70 { width: 70px; text-align: right; white-space:nowrap; } .td40 { width: 40px; text-align: right; } .td150 { width: 150px; } .td180 { width: 180px; text-align: right; } .td225 { width: 225px; vertical-align: middle; }Rank Countries opacity.gifAmount down.gif # 1 Colombia:0.617847 per 1,000 people # 2 South Africa:0.496008 per 1,000 people # 3 Jamaica:0.324196 per 1,000 people # 4 Venezuela:0.316138 per 1,000 people # 5 Russia:0.201534 per 1,000 people # 6 Mexico:0.130213 per 1,000 people # 7 Estonia:0.107277 per 1,000 people # 8 Latvia:0.10393 per 1,000 people # 9 Lithuania:0.102863 per 1,000 people # 10 Belarus:0.0983495 per 1,000 people # 11 Ukraine:0.094006 per 1,000 people # 12 Papua New Guinea:0.0838593 per 1,000 people # 13 Kyrgyzstan:0.0802565 per 1,000 people # 14 Thailand:0.0800798 per 1,000 people # 15 Moldova:0.0781145 per 1,000 people # 16 Zimbabwe:0.0749938 per 1,000 people # 17 Seychelles:0.0739025 per 1,000 people # 18 Zambia:0.070769 per 1,000 people # 19 Costa Rica:0.061006 per 1,000 people # 20 Poland:0.0562789 per 1,000 people # 21 Georgia:0.0511011 per 1,000 people # 22 Uruguay:0.045082 per 1,000 people # 23 Bulgaria:0.0445638 per 1,000 people # 24 United States:0.042802 per 1,000 people # 25 Armenia:0.0425746 per 1,000 people # 26 India:0.0344083 per 1,000 people # 27 Yemen:0.0336276 per 1,000 people # 28 Dominica:0.0289733 per 1,000 people # 29 Azerbaijan:0.0285642 per 1,000 people # 30 Finland:0.0283362 per 1,000 people # 31 Slovakia:0.0263303 per 1,000 people # 32 Romania:0.0250784 per 1,000 people # 33 Portugal:0.0233769 per 1,000 people # 34 Malaysia:0.0230034 per 1,000 people # 35 Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of:0.0229829 per 1,000 people # 36 Mauritius:0.021121 per 1,000 people # 37 Hungary:0.0204857 per 1,000 people # 38 Korea, South:0.0196336 per 1,000 people # 39 Slovenia:0.0179015 per 1,000 people # 40 France:0.0173272 per 1,000 people # 41 Czech Republic:0.0169905 per 1,000 people # 42 Iceland:0.0168499 per 1,000 people # 43 Australia:0.0150324 per 1,000 people # 44 Canada:0.0149063 per 1,000 people # 45 Chile:0.014705 per 1,000 people # 46 United Kingdom:0.0140633 per 1,000 people # 47 Italy:0.0128393 per 1,000 people # 48 Spain:0.0122456 per 1,000 people # 49 Germany:0.0116461 per 1,000 people # 50 Tunisia:0.0112159 per 1,000 people # 51 Netherlands:0.0111538 per 1,000 people # 52 New Zealand:0.0111524 per 1,000 people # 53 Denmark:0.0106775 per 1,000 people # 54 Norway:0.0106684 per 1,000 people # 55 Ireland:0.00946215 per 1,000 people # 56 Switzerland:0.00921351 per 1,000 people # 57 Indonesia:0.00910842 per 1,000 people # 58 Greece:0.0075928 per 1,000 people # 59 Hong Kong:0.00550804 per 1,000 people # 60 Japan:0.00499933 per 1,000 people # 61 Saudi Arabia:0.00397456 per 1,000 people # 62 Qatar:0.00115868 per 1,000 people

This I got from a quick google to wikipedia. It shows the previous statement as being not quite correct going on per capita. Not hard really. To do a little research before posting now is it?

I'm not much of a maths nerd, but doesn't that make Thailand roughly EIGHT times more murderous than the average for Western European countries ?

Correction welcomed if needed !

Why do you think he did something to offend the delicate cultural sensitivities of the construction workers? He stopped to drink with them. It is more likely that their motive in asking them to drink with them was to rob him, as they felt insanely jealous that he obviously had more money than them. Perhaps he put up a little resistance when they tried to relieve him of his wallet or more likely one of them just starting stabbing him without warning or giving him the option to hand it over without getting stabbed. It is quite likely there were not Thai. I hope the police get them. It shouldn't be too difficult for a half efficient police force to scour all the construction sites. At any rate they will be able to nab a number of illegal aliens.

I would tend to agree with this assessment unless more information is brought to light, which probably will not happen. For now we only have the story from the Russian and should accept it tentatively.

Always a "GROUP" of Thai blokes bashing one farang. Never hear of a one on one fight, they are like wild dogs once they drink a tiny amount of alcohol. The Russian would of probably snapped anyone of them in half one on one, <deleted>*king cowards!!!!

OK, but if you went onto a building site anywhere in Europe at 4am as a stranger and joined in with a big group of mates who were already hammered, and then it got a bit out of hand, I am not so sure they wouldnt all gang up on you as well. From the experience I have seen of groups of mates, they do tend to stick together when one of their own is getting into a scrape with an outsider. Dont think the Thai's are any more animalistic than men from most other countries when it comes to fighting when drunk. No disrespect intended, but construction workers globally do tend to act in a more base manner, wolf whistling being another example. I saw a man get bottled in the UK one night by a group of lads in a nightclub. His crime? He asked the gang of lads to leave his extremely attractive girlfriend alone.

I'd hardly call getting your arm almost cut off with a knife "a bit out of hand".

Thais can't hold their liquor? - THais can't do this, Thais can't do that...THEY aren't capable of......the trouble with Thais is......

the problem here is pure racism on the part of some posters.

This is a robbery - same as anywhere - some unpleasant people involved - assuming the reports are accurate - which is unlikley

basically what i was going to say.

it's bizarre how there seems to be a lot of people who are racist about thai people on a forum about thailand.. and who're living in thailand.

that and the self-fulfilling prophetic cynicism and sarcasm about the people and their country is hypocritical at best.

it's not clear what happened.. that video of the supposed banana seller shows him trying to help.. apparently the guys were sober.. construction workers do get up early.. and it might have been a fear/territorial thing.. same as other humans in any countries.. and robbery afterwards would be tempting to many people too, especially poor people.

it is unfortunate sure, and it is a crime.. and maybe this group were a bunch of thieving thugs.. but to use this as an excuse to bash thai people, shooting so enthusiastically from the hip, and talking about thai people as if they're all the same, is noxious.