How Can Canadian 60 Years Oldlive Full Time In Laos

Colabamumbai

60 year old Canadian living and working in Thailand would like to go and live full time in Laos, what is necessary? and how do I go about it Immigration wise, so that I am not going out every 30 days.? Advice? I am sick of Thailand after a year, I spent time in Laos 35 years ago and recently have been going there, when not working here. Not for visa runs. So I am thinking to go to live in Laos....

Sorry, I have no answer but I am also really keen to find an alternative to that silly 30-days and out rule.

You may already have read this, but former expat resident in Lao, Technocracy, posted on a 12-month "work" visa that can be arranged through an agent, it seems Link.

I forgot to add: An expat working in Vientiane for a worldwide accountancy firm said something like this visa is definitely available, but at the time I did not know to ask whether you have to leave every 30 days

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

Sorry, I have no answer but I am also really keen to find an alternative to that silly 30-days and out rule.

You may already have read this, but former expat resident in Lao, Technocracy, posted on a 12-month "work" visa that can be arranged through an agent, it seems Link.

I forgot to add: An expat working in Vientiane for a worldwide accountancy firm said something like this visa is definitely available, but at the time I did not know to ask whether you have to leave every 30 days

bkklaoembassy gives visa info but not specifics as to how to?

Sorry I've not been around - been somewhat busy - anyway the 12 month 'work' visa which I have previously mentioned I arranged via a Lao friend who knows the immigration system but it is based upon being married to a Lao citizen.

Basically the visa allows you 30 days stay at a time over the 12 month period - but you can come and go as many times as you wish i.e. Full multiple entry. It worked great for me as we'd often nip over to Udon or Nong Khai every month for shopping and the like.

The visa is actually intended for people who have business interests in Laos and will come and go frequently - but they will also do one if you are married - in any case if you work you are liable for sorting out your own taxes etc.

The alternative is to get a work visa sponsored through an 'agency' - this will end up with you paying 10% tax of whatever your declared salary is - a word of warning on going down this approach the Lao government has cut back on the number of sponsored foreign employees and your work visa probably will end up being assigned to some non-existent NGO or one that is based in distant rural areas. If you have any kind of run in with the police (simply driving down the road can cause this!) they will check your visa and the 'company' you 'work' for and you can end up in prison if they find out it's a visa of convenience and before you all start saying it doesn't happen etc etc. Well I know 2 people who have fallen foul of it . . .

Edited by technocracy

I am living here already 5 years and had never any problem with the police if the stop me for a traffic offence regarding asking for passport or visa. And in these 5 years the stop me only about 4 times.

Normally the ask some money if you say you don't bring you papers regarding the bike or what so ever.

Indeed it's easy to get a multiply business visa true a agent and you not really need a work permit if not working in Laos. I mean the police will not ask you random on the street about it even not when you end up in a little accident with your motorbike or car.

So I would say on your next trip ask by some guest house and for sure there is someone who point you in the right direction.

hi,

Check out:

http://www.alloexpat.com/laos_expat_forum/

Also this email was in the forum a few months ago,might give you an idea of the problems regarding Laos

“I'm in a very similar situation. I've bee4n with my Laos girlfriend in Thailand for 6 years we have a 3yr old daughter. Want to get married but it's proving very difficult. The first thing the village head(in Laos) wants is your Ta bien Ban(proof of residence) I've been living in Asia for ten years renting, I don't have a proof of residence my work permit with my address in it wasn't good enough, so I'm still stuck at the first hurdle. Any news on your progress would be really helpful to me.

Good luck.

I got quoted 9000b in Savannakhet to get the permission to marry in Thailand form but I still need the proof of residence”