Thai Child Rights Group Denies Case Dropped Against Russian Pianist Mikhail Pletnev

webfact

Thai child rights group denies case dropped against Russian pianist

The child protection group that pressed charges against Russian pianist-composer Mikhail Pletnev for allegedly raping a Thai boy, on Tuesday denied reports that prosecutors had dropped the case.

Pletnev's lawyer, who identified himself only by his first name Somsak, claimed Tuesday morning that the prosecutor's office of Chon Buri province had decided not to pursue the case against Pletnev.

"Everything is over," Somsak told the German Press Agency dpa in a telephone interview. "Ask the prosecutor."

But the Chon Buri prosecutor's office could not be reached to confirm the lawyer's claim.

Suphakorn Noja, who heads the Chon Buri children's protection group that had worked with police to arrest Pletnev, said it was "impossible" for the case to be dropped so swiftly.

"This case involves a lot of players. If the prosecutor's office has decided to drop it, he would need to inform the Chon Buri governor first, and the governor could ask them to re-examine their decision," Suphakorn told dpa.

"The whole world is watching this case," Suphakorn said. "It will be a blow to the Thai judiciary if it is dropped."

He admitted, however, that he expected the prosector to drop the case soon.

Pletnev was arrested in July 2010 on suspicion of having raped a 14-year-old boy at his home in Pattaya, 100 kilometres south-east of Bangkok. He was released on bail and was allowed to leave the country temporarily to tour with the Russian National Orchestra.

The prosecution was initially delayed as the alleged victim was reluctant to identify Pletnev and testify, according to sources at the Pattaya public prosecutor's office.

The boy finally submitted his testimony late last month, Pattaya police sources said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-05

Moved from other thread:

"The whole world is watching this case," Suphakorn said. "It will be a blow to the Thai judiciary if it is dropped."

He admitted, however, that he expected the prosector to drop the case soon.

This paragraph made my nose bleed.

I wonder how much money has been paid in total to drop this case ... :whistling:

Yeah I might agree with that except for the fact the Ruskie came back of his own free will to clear his name - probably came down to - just pay and the kids testimony will be officially thrown out without the court case. We will probably never know!

Pletnev, a professional pianist, a man who performs his talent in public, is an artist. He should not be tainted with such base accusations as this.

A man who spends his time quietly fingering away in his Pattaya apartment should not be hounded such. Pattaya is full of such men. It is after all quite reasonable for this artist to seek the quiet and solitude that Pattaya offers. He needs to recuperate from the demands of the public glare. What better place to recharge the soul than quiet Pattaya? Imagine the noise found in thehigh Spanish Sierras West of Gerona; or, the constant high winds of the Andes; the tidal interruptions of the Maldives; or the virulent vistas of the Veldt?

Manhattan has its traffic, Paris has its strikes, Cairo's under dust and Alaska is so snow. Pattaya is clearly the right choice for a money no object, artistically aware, refuge seeking, soul searching, calm and reflective modern soul. I'd say that description fits most of us choosing a bijou residence just off Beach Road. Pattaya didn't get its pavement artists of Beach Road by chance! For Mont Martre read Pattaya Tai. The Hanging Gardens of Babylon can hardly compare with the foliage of Sukhumvit Road central reservation. And as for the Himalayas; have you seen the view over Pattaya from Patumnak Hill?

Is it not true to say that Pattaya provides sanctuary to a host of internationally renowned artists? The list of painters, authors, ballet dancers, sculpters, philosophers and composers who chose to reside here is endless. Isn't it true that Stendahl, Proust, Jung, Pavlova, Monet, Moore, Wagner and even Nelson Mandella along with Mother Teresa had holiday homes just off Soi 6?

Some believe Picasso took the inspiration for his blue period after a dip in the sea opposite Soi 10.

And the Sundance Film Festival only ever ended up in the States and not Jontiem as Mrs. Redford went down with Poo Parah poisoning from the food cart at the top of Soi 11. She forgets how good it tasted for the first week of her Chang Bus Tours Xmas Special.

Why just the other day I saw the Beckhams on Koh Larn inspecting the property one up from Larry King's.

It was rumoured at the time of Diana's death that she had flown into Paris straight from Utapoa after viewing the new shop houses at Naklua, Soi 18. She said it was 'just to live amongst truely creative spirits' but we all knew her and Dodie wanted to see the sunset from Beach Road evening.

To me, it does not need explaining just why an international Orchestra conductor should chose to spend his time alone in Pattaya. The place is chocka with international superstars, intellectuals, Nobel Peace Prize winners, all looking for that serenity and spiritualism that the calm and reflective atmosphere nurtures.

And it's quite obvious why he spent some time with under age boys, behind locked doors, without parental supervision, in his apartment. He's an artist! He is a professional. You cannot breach the intimacy needed during these master classes. These are one on ones. A coming together of majors and minors is a beautiful thing. A piano is black and white.

He was showing how with the gentlest of touches you can pull the piano's strings. Up and down. Up and down. Hammering away at it. Making music. Can you imagine what an experience it is for a young Thai boy in Pattaya to watch the master's fingers running up and down the ivories?

And then the maestro lets the young boy have ago at it himself.

You see - this is the real Pattaya.

Yet another amusing and diverting offering from Housepainter. Long may he contribute to the board. The 'names' that he mentions may however be well over the heads of some who post here. Proust, for all they know, might well be a central defender for Accrington Stanley, while others might be asking 'who is Accrington Stanley?'.

One notable regular visitor is Jimmy White, a one time first class snooker player. I wonder what the attraction of Pattaya is for him? Maybe it is to pit his skills against the bar ladies on the pool table?

That the Russian virtuoso will not face charges should come without condemnation. Did not some dodgy Russians fire shots at BiB without being brought to book? Apparently the intervention of a Police Major General had some bearing on that decision. The possibility that Pletnev might be the victim of a set-up may be a real one. Maybe the prosecutors decided that the evidence was not strong enough for them to get a conviction. I suggest that to bring such a serious charge of somebody of renown requires cast iron evidence' maybe not so if you or I were so charged. We may never know and the authorities view would be that it is none of our business.

A gynaecologist working out of Bumrungrad murdered his wife, a fellow gynaecologist, cut her body up into pieces and flushed her down the toilet. It was considered a waste of talent to incarcerate him so he was given 2 years probation. Maybe some powerful entity decided that the serious music world should not be deprived of a serious talent in this case? BTW a public outcry caused a rethink in the murder case and the villainous doctor is now sojourning his time away as a guest of His Majesty.

Arai gor dai.

Once on Walking Street Jimmy White walked straight past me. Truthfully. He didn't recognise me either and as I called after him he didn't acknowledge it. The last time I saw Jimmy was at the Crucible where he was straining to find the hole nearest the pink and the brown.

The people I was with didn't believe me either asking 'what would Jimmy White be doing here?'

Well that question just didn't go away and an answer was found amongst the bar owning anjd long stay ex-pats. An answer. Just the one then.

It seems Jimmy White has a predilection for Lady Boys. Hence, Pattaya. Hence Walking Street. Hence not wishing to acknowledge 'Hey, Jimmy'. It seems Jimmy is still searching for a hole nearest the pink and the brown then.

Sad but true.

Which returns me to Micky Pletnev.

I thought the moist sea air would actually play havoc with the tuning of a concert hall standard piano. Making anything tuneful impossible. I'm left thinking that Pletnev only managed a few bum notes during his time here.

You know, like the one thousand baht bum note he paid the fourteen year boy for services to music. Accent on the sic.

Pletnev, a professional pianist, a man who performs his talent in public, is an artist. He should not be tainted with such base accusations as this.

A man who spends his time quietly fingering away in his Pattaya apartment should not be hounded such. Pattaya is full of such men. It is after all quite reasonable for this artist to seek the quiet and solitude that Pattaya offers. He needs to recuperate from the demands of the public glare. What better place to recharge the soul than quiet Pattaya? Imagine the noise found in thehigh Spanish Sierras West of Gerona; or, the constant high winds of the Andes; the tidal interruptions of the Maldives; or the virulent vistas of the Veldt?

Manhattan has its traffic, Paris has its strikes, Cairo's under dust and Alaska is so snow. Pattaya is clearly the right choice for a money no object, artistically aware, refuge seeking, soul searching, calm and reflective modern soul. I'd say that description fits most of us choosing a bijou residence just off Beach Road. Pattaya didn't get its pavement artists of Beach Road by chance! For Mont Martre read Pattaya Tai. The Hanging Gardens of Babylon can hardly compare with the foliage of Sukhumvit Road central reservation. And as for the Himalayas; have you seen the view over Pattaya from Patumnak Hill?

Is it not true to say that Pattaya provides sanctuary to a host of internationally renowned artists? The list of painters, authors, ballet dancers, sculpters, philosophers and composers who chose to reside here is endless. Isn't it true that Stendahl, Proust, Jung, Pavlova, Monet, Moore, Wagner and even Nelson Mandella along with Mother Teresa had holiday homes just off Soi 6?

Some believe Picasso took the inspiration for his blue period after a dip in the sea opposite Soi 10.

And the Sundance Film Festival only ever ended up in the States and not Jontiem as Mrs. Redford went down with Poo Parah poisoning from the food cart at the top of Soi 11. She forgets how good it tasted for the first week of her Chang Bus Tours Xmas Special.

Why just the other day I saw the Beckhams on Koh Larn inspecting the property one up from Larry King's.

It was rumoured at the time of Diana's death that she had flown into Paris straight from Utapoa after viewing the new shop houses at Naklua, Soi 18. She said it was 'just to live amongst truely creative spirits' but we all knew her and Dodie wanted to see the sunset from Beach Road evening.

To me, it does not need explaining just why an international Orchestra conductor should chose to spend his time alone in Pattaya. The place is chocka with international superstars, intellectuals, Nobel Peace Prize winners, all looking for that serenity and spiritualism that the calm and reflective atmosphere nurtures.

And it's quite obvious why he spent some time with under age boys, behind locked doors, without parental supervision, in his apartment. He's an artist! He is a professional. You cannot breach the intimacy needed during these master classes. These are one on ones. A coming together of majors and minors is a beautiful thing. A piano is black and white.

He was showing how with the gentlest of touches you can pull the piano's strings. Up and down. Up and down. Hammering away at it. Making music. Can you imagine what an experience it is for a young Thai boy in Pattaya to watch the master's fingers running up and down the ivories?

Has your post gotten you all excited and titillated now?

Look what they did to MICHAEL JACKSON .. I still believe her was innocent , but this guy is Russian HE GOT TO BE GUILTY ...innocent until found guily ....

• 1 year later...

... reading today about the Swede doctor charged with paedophilia (and now safely out of Thailand), prompted me to wonder about the Russian pianist Mikhail Pletnev who was accused of raping young Thai children in Thailand?

... can anyone offer an update? ... any bets the Swede doctor's case will be any different?

... (gosh, isn't being a paedophile in Thailand simply the best! ... wish we could say the same for being a young Thai child in Thailand).