Anyone Using Usb 3 Yet?

Jockstar

I just bought a new Samsung Story 2TB USB3 external hardrive. But to get the speeds that they are saying, I will then have to get an USB 3 card. Anyone any experience with these? On ebay i can get one for around $25 with 2 ports. Opinions and views please and thank you.

My estimate is that you can probably triple your speed. Normal USB tops out at around 33MB/s - I just happen to copy some large files right now to my USB2 external disk, and that's what I am getting.

USB 3 goes way higher but the hard disks will probably top out around 100 MB/s - realistically. And _much_ less than that for copying large numbers of small files. Laptop hard drives will do close to 100MB/s for big files (max transfer rate) but drop all the way down to below 1 MB/s when you copy many small files (small random read/write).

To really take advantage of the USB3 speeds you'd need a RAID or SSD.

Have been using USB 3 for a couple of months between computer and external USB 3 HDD . Stickers on the computers say 10X speed - absolute rubbish - 2 or (max) 3 times is all I have got. However, even at those speeds it does make things easier

My estimate is that you can probably triple your speed. Normal USB tops out at around 33MB/s - I just happen to copy some large files right now to my USB2 external disk, and that's what I am getting.

USB 3 goes way higher but the hard disks will probably top out around 100 MB/s - realistically. And _much_ less than that for copying large numbers of small files. Laptop hard drives will do close to 100MB/s for big files (max transfer rate) but drop all the way down to below 1 MB/s when you copy many small files (small random read/write).

Well instead of waiting 15 min, you wait 5 min: That sounds good....

For me it would be 15 hours down to 5 hours. But I can't afford to swap out my 7 USB2 drives (10 TB) for USB3 just yet...

For me it would be 15 hours down to 5 hours. But I can't afford to swap out my 7 USB2 drives (10 TB) for USB3 just yet...

Step by step.....I have already changed half the office to 1000 Mbit (from 100). Just the server is still 100 Mbit :lol: :lol:

New backup drive is USB3.

Once the old server dies. Most will run on 1000 Mbit and backups USB3. Just it is already so old that I think it will never die.....