Thai Wives

DavieA

Even making a sandwich was funnier than ######.  She can't understand why I eat them!

:o My missus used to think that however much filling came in a pre-pack was the correct portion for a round of sarnies; for a long time I didn't have the heart to tell her, but I just couldn't go on eating inch thick corned beef sandwiches.

Been here in the UK for about 3 months now, and she's surprised me with how well she's settling in. I think it helped that she came here for a two week holiday before we got spliced in LOS, so at least she knew what she was letting herself in for.

For the first few weeks I felt the onus was on me to keep her occupied and happy 24/7, especially as she'd given up all her family and friends, and the hotel job she loved, to be with me in such an alien environment. As so many others have discovered, communication can be a problem when something goes wrong. Whereas the Western way is to talk things through, Thais seem to just withdaw into themselves, so you'll need to be patient at times.

But now she's got an unpaid job in a charity shop as well as working in a Thai restaurant, and we both seem more relaxed and happy; she has the self-esteem of making new friends (Thai and English) and as much money (sending home) in a day as she made in a week in LOS, and I have time to rediscover my old hobbies and interests. She also seems to love "luxuries" we in the West probably take for granted, like microwaves, our own PC, washing machine, vacuum cleaner, etc. I'm a bit worried about how she'll react to Winter, but hopefully she'll adapt to that too.

Best wishes, and good luck in whatever you decide to do.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ttrebilcock: I was really worried about the weather here in NYC for my wife. When we moved here the only pair of socks she owned was a few pairs she got while bowling (you know, the ones you pay 20 baht or so for at Major Strike Bowl). She had no jacket, no gloves, no scarf, etc. But, she did awesome! Actually likes the snow. I walk around shivering and she is digging it. And she really likes it when it rains. Feels she can stay home and be lazy...watching it all out the windows from the warm comforts of our home.

Even making a sandwich was funnier than ######.  She can't understand why I eat them!

:o My missus used to think that however much filling came in a pre-pack was the correct portion for a round of sarnies; for a long time I didn't have the heart to tell her, but I just couldn't go on eating inch thick corned beef sandwiches.

Been here in the UK for about 3 months now, and she's surprised me with how well she's settling in. I think it helped that she came here for a two week holiday before we got spliced in LOS, so at least she knew what she was letting herself in for.

For the first few weeks I felt the onus was on me to keep her occupied and happy 24/7, especially as she'd given up all her family and friends, and the hotel job she loved, to be with me in such an alien environment. As so many others have discovered, communication can be a problem when something goes wrong. Whereas the Western way is to talk things through, Thais seem to just withdaw into themselves, so you'll need to be patient at times.

But now she's got an unpaid job in a charity shop as well as working in a Thai restaurant, and we both seem more relaxed and happy; she has the self-esteem of making new friends (Thai and English) and as much money (sending home) in a day as she made in a week in LOS, and I have time to rediscover my old hobbies and interests. She also seems to love "luxuries" we in the West probably take for granted, like microwaves, our own PC, washing machine, vacuum cleaner, etc. I'm a bit worried about how she'll react to Winter, but hopefully she'll adapt to that too.

Best wishes, and good luck in whatever you decide to do.

The bit about the inch thick sandwiches, class!!

:D:D

Rj

the most important thing is for the women to have access to thai food and thai friends. once they get thai friends wherever they are they seem to settle down easier.

the most important thing is to find a nice kingsize bed for her and a wide screen TV, they spend most of their life with these 2 things.

Ttrebilcock: I was really worried about the weather here in NYC for my wife.  When we moved here the only pair of socks she owned was a few pairs she got while bowling (you know, the ones you pay 20 baht or so for at Major Strike Bowl).  She had no jacket, no gloves, no scarf, etc.  But, she did awesome!  Actually likes the snow.  I walk around shivering and she is digging it.  And she really likes it when it rains.  Feels she can stay home and be lazy...watching it all out the windows from the warm comforts of our home.

Thanks for the reply. Must admit, I quite like snow when I don't have to go out in it! :o