So Now We Need A Bank Statement For 60 Day Visa?

I'm in London and just rang the embassy to confirm my requirements as I always do because I can't keep up with the changes. I am based in Bangkok but I work freelance for companies in Australia, Hong Kong/China and the UK so I travel quite a bit but don't have the right to anything more than a 60 day tourist visa. However, in the past I have never been asked for a bank statement, why on earth would they want to know how much money is in my UK account? Is it simply for proof of address and so they can see I am self sufficient?

It was not required of my the last time I applied for a visa and I would question the motives of any country (with a questionable reputation in regards to corruption) wanting to have a nosey into my bank account.

Regards

SB

Sounds strange to me; it will be interesting if there are other reports of a similar policy.

Needless to say, the UK government requires bank statements (and much more) of Thai citizens wishing to travel there, so I wouldn't necessarily blame the Thai's for accepting a quid pro quo policy.

Brazil does that -- at least in terms of visa fees and the need for fingerprinting, etc.

Edited by Richard4849

Sounds strange to me; it will be interesting if there are other reports of a similar policy.

The Thai embassy in Washington has had a similar financial policy for several years for a tourist visa, plus further aggravation to include a requirement for a round trip ticket. And they enforce it, as witnessed by a Thai friend of ours, who was down to her US passport after letting her Thai passport lapse.

From the Thai Embassy DC website:

A copy of round-trip ticket or itinerary paid in full

- A copy of recent bank statement or evidence of adequate finance

($500 per person and $1,000 per family)

The Thai embassy in Washington has had a similar financial policy for several years for a tourist visa, plus further aggravation to include a requirement for a round trip ticket. And they enforce it, as witnessed by a Thai friend of ours, who was down to her US passport after letting her Thai passport lapse.

From the Thai Embassy DC website:

A copy of round-trip ticket or itinerary paid in full

- A copy of recent bank statement or evidence of adequate finance

($500 per person and $1,000 per family)

In reference to financial requirements from consulates in the U.S., what you neglected to quote was the following:

Those with "Nation passport from Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, Cuba, Egypt, India, Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Lebanon, Libya, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestine, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, Vietnam, Yemen" may be required to submit financial documentation.

U.S. citizens are not required to provided financial statements to the consulates in the U.S. for tourist visas.

Walt

U.S. citizens are not required to provided financial statements to the consulates in the U.S. for tourist visas.

Depends on which consulate. LA, NY, and Chicago consulates, indeed, give a break to US citizens by not requiring a financial statement for a tourist visa (Chicago, however, wants to see your exit ticket). Curiously, the Thai Embassy DC *DOES* want to see your financials, even if a US citizen (and this is enforced, or was a year ago, per a friend of ours).

Can't speak for all the honorary consulates, but Houston provided me their list of application requirements when I inquired last year about their Non Imm O-A phase-out. They mimic DC in their requirements for a tourist visa, i.e., needing financial and exit ticket proof. No exception for US citizens. Interestingly, they now require a financial statement for a Non Imm O visa, which is primarily issued to those with Thai relatives.

How the other honorary consulates deal with financial requirements for US citizens, I don't know. But, as with everything bureaucratically Thai, each and every government office seems to have some -- or a lot -- of latitude. Pays to shop around, then, if that's an option.

A couple of friends have told me that cash in hand (1000$) was needed at Singapore and HK Thai embassies for a TV. Something to do with financial resources for a tourist in lieu of onward air ticket. YMMV depending on appearance I guess?

I have two questions:

For Digitalbanana: what does "YMMV" mean?

For Digitalbanana and other TV respondents to this thread: would a bank book of an account with a Thai bank showing sufficient funds suffice as proof of financial means?

As said above it is a normal disclaimer on auto advertising in the US to indicate the "35MPG" figure may not be what you obtain in your driving. Not an absolute.

The normal requirement is a show of cash - that is what would be required on entry if asked. But Consulates may well accept other proof.