Skype Connection From Kamala Very Bad

eje

I have no problem at all in Kamala, what internet provider are you using? I have 3BB and it has been fantastic so far.

I think one friend in Kamala have CatCom and the other use AIS. It was no probleme earlier but round about Christmas it started go bad.

What is 3BB? I´m coming to Kamala Saterday and will stay for 3 months. I have always used CatCom but if there is a better I will try.

Edited by eje

Skype over wireless networks is always a bit hit and miss.. CAT CDMA is possibly but not great.

Tho you might be OK with True 3G thats running west coast now.

Ideally a wired or wifi (to wired) connection will yield far better results.

Skype had problems worldwide around Christmas time. Google it and you'll find all kinds of news stories about it. I believe they've fixed it now, but not sure. Mine works fine from Patong to Canada using TOT. Good luck.

Edited by kirmizi

Copy "Tho you might be OK with True 3G thats running west coast now".

What is it? Where can I get it? Do you know how much for it?

True is currently offering 3g.. see the true websites for details.

True has HSPA (so-called "3G") service along the west coast of Phuket. Speeds are pretty good. I don't know anybody who's tested it in Kamala.

You can use a True SIM card, inside any HSPA-capable USB dongle. I'm paying B 799 per month for unlimited 3G downloads, but I may be grandfathered - haven't made it to the True office in Phuket Town to get details recently.

To get the latest, go to the True Office outside Robinson's downtown. There's a guy there who understands HSPA. He can set you up.

Now I have installed Catcdma MC627 and uppgrade for Windows 7. Very slow. Download from Sanfrancisco= 0.31Mbps, uppload= 0.39 My location is 2.5 km behind Fantasea.

Can True 3 be better?

CatCom have a new sort of modem you put in the 220 v contact a nd then u can surf vey ´fast,?????

Now I have installed Catcdma MC627 and uppgrade for Windows 7. Very slow. Download from Sanfrancisco= 0.31Mbps, uppload= 0.39 My location is 2.5 km behind Fantasea.

Can True 3 be better?

It's possible that True HSPA will be faster than CAT CDMA, but I wouldn't bet any money on it.

You may get better speeds if you have an external antenna. Email me and I can put you in touch with a guy who specializes in external antennas.

Edited by LivinginKata
email removed as per forum rules

CatCom have a new sort of modem you put in the 220 v contact a nd then u can surf vey ´fast,?????

I think you're talking about the MiFi box. It's a router (some would call it a modem) that takes a CAT CDMA USB dongle. Plug the dongle into the MiFi, and you suddenly have the Internet connection available via WiFi, on any laptop.

Good points: the MiFi is small - it'll fit in your pocket - and it runs for hours on batteries.

Bad points: you're limited to four simultaneous WiFi connections. There's no LAN connection. Most of all, the speed of the MiFi box is the same as the CDMA card. So if you're getting lousy reception with your laptop using a CAT CDMA dongle, you'll get the same lousy reception with the MiFi using the CAT CDMA dongle.

Can True 3 be better?

It's possible that True HSPA will be faster than CAT CDMA, but I wouldn't bet any money on it.

You may get better speeds if you have an external antenna. Email me and I can put you in touch with a guy who specializes in external antennas.

I can´t send mail so I sent you aPM.

eje