Thai Girl Involved In Tragic Tollway Accident Says That She Is Sorry

webfact

I read newspaper accounts of two crash survivors who were visited by the family of the girl early on... They each got a few paragraphs in the newspaper.

The most notable thing I remember from their comments was both saying, at least according to the newspaper, that they just wanted to put the episode behind them and they didn't plan to sue the girl's family. That was then... Afterwards, who knows...

I am surprised that there hasn't been a lot of news and info from the survivors of the crash. I was able to meet with one of them on the 30th at Vihawadi Hospital. I was able to listen to his account, but I am yet to read any accounts from the other survivors. It seems the news is only interested in the 16 year old's account. Did any one come across any info from the survivors?

What was his account? Does he remember anything about what was happening before the crash?

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am surprised that there hasn't been a lot of news and info from the survivors of the crash. I was able to meet with one of them on the 30th at Vihawadi Hospital. I was able to listen to his account, but I am yet to read any accounts from the other survivors. It seems the news is only interested in the 16 year old's account. Did any one come across any info from the survivors?

What was his account? Does he remember anything about what was happening before the crash?

I am very experienced with this van route, the drivers, and the vans that they use. I wrote the survivor's account in a previous blog. I also was familiar with the driver of the van who died. This is his account: The survivor sat closest to the door in the seat that can be folded up (allows others to move to the back of the van). He was last to enter. The driver smiled at him when he entered. She then began a conversation with the people in the front. Everything seemed normal. No tension from the driver.... The van he took was one of the last. Vans usually stop at around 9-10pm from Thammasat depending on the day of the week. The collision was first felt from behind. I asked if the van driver was swerving or driving fast. He said that everything seemed normal. No swerving....After the collision occurred, he is a little foggy in his recollection. He believes that he fell out right after the collision from behind before the van hit the wall (If that is true, then it can be assumed that the van door shot open from the collision from the back). Since there were no seat belts that were available for use or he didn't choose to use (I have never seen any seat belts available for use except the front seat), he fell out before or during the 360 spin. He remember lying on the ground in pain yelling for help and water. He clearly remembers seeing the 16 year old outside of her car and with her phone. At the time, he wasn't aware that she was the one who was involved in the accident. She didn't come to help any of the injured.

The accident occurred approximately 150-200 meters from an exit (Kasetsart Exit).

Edited by preechathan

I don't believe what I am reading. ..........It was an accident. ............ OK, it was illegal to drive without a license, but that is not the point. ............... It does not really matter who are the parents or who she is.

I hardly believe what I am reading either.

Its "not the point" that she had no licence and was directly responsible for killing 9 people and injuring 5 others?

It "does not really matter" who she is?

Those are exactly the points and the reasons why the case is so controversial and will probably have a far greater effect on Thailand's political and social climate than it should on its own merits.

Had it been almost anyone else they could be jailed for their actions and they probably would be if justice was served - and for those who defend her actions they need to remember that the aim of justice is to reform, rehabilitate, punish and deter, not to sympathise and forgive. It was not just anyone, however, it was Miss "Hisoboko" NaAyutthaya who will not be jailed under any circumstances as things stand at the moment because she is protected not only by her parents wealth and influence but by her name: the lese majeste law in Thailand applies to all members of the Royal family.

I am very experienced with this van route, the drivers, and the vans that they use. I wrote the survivor's account in a previous blog. I also was familiar with the driver of the van who died. This is his account: The survivor sat closest to the door in the seat that can be folded up (allows others to move to the back of the van). He was last to enter. The driver smiled at him when he entered. She then began a conversation with the people in the front. Everything seemed normal. No tension from the driver.... The van he took was one of the last. Vans usually stop at around 9-10pm from Thammasat depending on the day of the week. The collision was first felt from behind. I asked if the van driver was swerving or driving fast. He said that everything seemed normal. No swerving....After the collision occurred, he is a little foggy in his recollection. He believes that he fell out right after the collision from behind before the van hit the wall (If that is true, then it can be assumed that the van door shot open from the collision from the back). Since there were no seat belts that were available for use or he didn't choose to use (I have never seen any seat belts available for use except the front seat), he fell out before or during the 360 spin. He remember lying on the ground in pain yelling for help and water. He clearly remembers seeing the 16 year old outside of her car and with her phone. At the time, he wasn't aware that she was the one who was involved in the accident. She didn't come to help any of the injured.

The accident occurred approximately 150-200 meters from an exit (Kasetsart Exit).

The only thing that bothers me with that statement is the "lying on the ground in pain yelling for help and water".

If you've *just* fallen out of a car going at 100kmh (i'm not sure what speed they were going), would you be yelling for water?

The only thing that bothers me with that statement is the "lying on the ground in pain yelling for help and water".

If you've *just* fallen out of a car going at 100kmh (i'm not sure what speed they were going), would you be yelling for water?

I am sorry that it bothers you. But that is what he was asking for. And if you look at the photos of the injured from the accident, you can see a water bottle next to him while he is lying on the ground.

Edited by preechathan

You lot are a sad bunch. You all cry for justice, but are ready to pass your own judgement on this girl before she has been properly convicted.

And before you all get on your high horses about me defending her, I'm not..I'm quite happy for a court to decide whether she is guilty or not after reviewing all the facts and evidence (and not from reading newspaper reports like the wannabe judges on this forum)

Listen to yourselves almost baying for blood.. "lock her up, throw away the key" you say.. thank god you are not part of the legal system in any country.

This whole thing is a tradgedy.. for all involved.

totster :ph34r:

I understand your sentiment and would have wholeheartedly agreed if I didn't know anything about Thailand.

However, there is a major mistake in your assumption that everyone is trying to pass judgement on this girl.

True, we see many comments to that end, but these should be seen in the light of the Thai socio-judicial system.

If one manages to see beyond the words, one would realize that most posters are (even while they are unconciously

passing judgement on an unconvicted suspect) just trying to express their dissastisfaction towards the social order

that they know is not going to produce any justice in a case like this.

In fact, this girl is also a victim at the moment, while she is still theoretically punishable.

Even if she wants to subject herself to the trial and punishment she deserves without making any influence,

nobody would believe her. Even if she is trully not guilty, such a verdict will be scorned at by many.

In that respect, she is a victim.

But we all know that the more probable case is that she is guilty (at least some of the facts of the case are so

simple and doesnt call for an LLB to figure out she is guilty of a few offences), but would go scot free at

least partly owing to her status. and chances are she would be quite happy about that!

Those who are making vengiant comments are in fact crying for the reincarnation of justice....not with

a personal vengeance towards a 16 year old stranger, but for justice itself.

They may be wording it the wrong way, but could you actually blame them for that?

I have to second this. People I know find the whole idea of "this is Thailand and things will never change" ignorant, especially given the growth of the country over the past few decades and subsequent change of attitudes.

Personally I find the way this girl has been treated by the online communities quite disturbing, but given that her parents will no doubt try every manoeuvre to ensure the girl and themselves will get off "scott free" (and being honest, what parent wouldn't?) and will probably have some success, it is possible to relate to some degree.

Insight, your opinion on the forum is one of those that I respect the most, but I don't think it is ignorant to think things will not change on a fundamental level, a change in surface attitudes maybe, but the core problems are still there.

However, we do agree on one thing, the girl at the centre of this has been treated terribly.. she has unfortunately become the blame focus for all the terrible accidents over the holiday period

I'm sure justice will be served, but not to our (westerners) standard.

totster :D

Oh, things will change also on a fundamental level. they already have for a long time. It is just that it's not happening at a speed detectable to most westerners

Attitudes are clearly, slowly changing :)

I agree with you. Things are changing in big ways and for the better but at a speed many think is too slow. More than one Thai friend has commented to me "things are getting better will get more better when more of the older generation die".

I agree too but for her i think she have not brain to think about that?

would like to say nice things about her and defend her, but really cannot find anything nice to say.

It's not like she's the only person in Thailand who drives like an idiot, she's just one of the few who may have to face some bit of consequences for her bad driving.

But she may be the only Thai person I've ever seen issue a public apology.

So she's got that going for her.

I think that public outcry especially on the Thai Internet forums already is a sign of (social) change in itself. When people learned that a) the girl was under-age, B) didn't have a driving license, c) was allegedly recklessly speeding and d) came from a prominent family with an aristocratic-sounding name, their alarm bells sounded. In the not too distant past (I am talking a mere 3 or 5 years ago), all these factors together almost guaranteed that the suspect got off scot-free with a mere slap on the wrist (see the "Moo Ham" case, for example). The outrage voiced by all too many Thai posters only goes to show that the increasingly influential middle class (I don't believe, grassroots Thais got involved in the discussion in this particular case) saw yet another case in the making that would have been swept under the carpet before long and they didn't want to let it happen this time. Faced with such strong awareness among the public, neither the family of the 16-year-old nor the investigating police nor the judiciary involved will dare to play shenanigans.

Now, as many posters in this forums correctly pointed out: justice must be meted out by a court of law after thorough scrutinization of the evidence presented by the prosecutor and after having given the suspect the opportunity to defend herself through her appointed counsellor. Likewise, the families of those killed in this tragedy must have (and indeed do have) the opportunity of filing separate lawsuits against the suspect. Whether they will take this opportunity or not after having been offered (and accepted) monetary compensation from the girl's family is entirely another issue.

There has been much hairsplitting in this forum whether the incident should be deemed an "accident" or not. I believe the fact stands that the girl did not have the intention of deliberately killing 9 people, no matter how careless/reckless/irresponsible/immature/etc. she may have been. I also doubt that the van driver wanted to end her shift in a coffin accompanied by 8 of her own passengers. In the end it has to be established by a court of law who shares what guilt and to what extent. It is not going to be an easy task especially under the pressure the court finds itself in now that the public and the media have become so closely involved and are following each and every step of the case.

I am a little surprised to hear that the alleged owner of the car (which the girl allegedly had borrowed) might face a fine of no more than 2,000 Baht. That tremendous amount might be okay if you lend your car to an unlicensed driver and nothing happens. But since there was a horrific accident resulting in a staggering 9 deaths, my feeling is that the car owner should be subject to a much stiffer penalty.

I agree that the parents should not be indicted if it can be established that their daughter drove illegally without their knowledge. One cannot possibly monitor one's offspring 24/7. But if it should turn out that the car was in fact NOT borrowed, but was purchased by the parents FOR their daughter (although it might be registered to a third party) in the full knowledge that she is not yet eligible to legally steer a motor vehicle under the laws of Thailand, then I'd say the parents MUST be held accountible to a certain degree, too. Ignorance of the laws of the land ("She could drive in L.A. and had a driving license") cannot be and must not be an excuse.

We do not know all the facts and press reports cannot be trusted 100% all the time. If we have hateful and - regrettably - "lynch-mob-like" comments in this or predominantly Thai-language forums, then this is ultimately a good development. It is about time that this so-called "democracy" is manifesting itself. No more special treatment for the upper echelons. No more behind-the-scenes deals just because you are "priviledged". One law for all.

In some countries 16 is the legal age to drive, do they lock up 15 year old`s in solitary confinement there too after they did drive without a license an an accident occurred?

Accident! No license, speeding, smashing up cars, reckless driving, killing!! An ACCIDENT? Dumb <deleted>!

This girls family is so important in Thailand that no names have been mentioned! I also saw a clip on tv of the girl and some of her family, and the video was made blocky so you could not recognise them. Conclusion: some people really are above the law and are untouchable.

In some countries 16 is the legal age to drive, do they lock up 15 year old`s in solitary confinement there too after they did drive without a license an an accident occurred?

Accident! No license, speeding, smashing up cars, reckless driving, killing!! An ACCIDENT? Dumb <deleted>!

It doesn't matter if I murder a whole family and their dog, if I walk into the kitchen and there drop a knife on my foot, that event in of itself is an accident.

Why is this concept so hard to understand for people? Her supposed lack of a license etc doesn't change the nature of the event.

Edited by TAWP

This girls family is so important in Thailand that no names have been mentioned! I also saw a clip on tv of the girl and some of her family, and the video was made blocky so you could not recognise them. Conclusion: some people really are above the law and are untouchable.

Are you for real?

Her family is so important (...) that her name was - unlawfully - published within hours of the event. That media finally recognizes that kids are protected in law from being exposed with name and picture isn't a shame, it is media finally correcting itself to the normal procedure.

At the end of the day money is the most important thing in Thai society and this family have money, and therefore their daughter is unlikely to do any jail time, I hope that I am wrong but I doubt it. Mee keun nap pen nong, me tong nap pen pee.

I have to second this. People I know find the whole idea of "this is Thailand and things will never change" ignorant, especially given the growth of the country over the past few decades and subsequent change of attitudes.

Personally I find the way this girl has been treated by the online communities quite disturbing, but given that her parents will no doubt try every manoeuvre to ensure the girl and themselves will get off "scott free" (and being honest, what parent wouldn't?) and will probably have some success, it is possible to relate to some degree.

Insight, your opinion on the forum is one of those that I respect the most, but I don't think it is ignorant to think things will not change on a fundamental level, a change in surface attitudes maybe, but the core problems are still there.

However, we do agree on one thing, the girl at the centre of this has been treated terribly.. she has unfortunately become the blame focus for all the terrible accidents over the holiday period

I'm sure justice will be served, but not to our (westerners) standard.

totster :D

Oh, things will change also on a fundamental level. they already have for a long time. It is just that it's not happening at a speed detectable to most westerners

Attitudes are clearly, slowly changing :)

I agree with you. Things are changing in big ways and for the better but at a speed many think is too slow. More than one Thai friend has commented to me "things are getting better will get more better when more of the older generation die".

The speed that attitudes change vary between the middle class and the working class too, the middle class, as averywhere, take up changes quicker while the working class, who need them more, resist.

This is most noticeable in the most important area there is, how we bring up our children. The middle class are adapting and changing their upbringing techniques better than the working class who are not interested in looking if a change is needed or not. The result is a middle class that runs away from the working class (in terms of ability)

Typical for Thailand. A lot of drivers without driving permits on the road. And not correct laws and a corrupt police. It is one of the most dangerous countries in the world for driving. I would like to see what happens if the responsible drive was a farang. Probably life sentence in jail. This girl must be jailed for at least 10 years, and the owner of the car too.

This is Thailand, which country do you think it should be typical for? :blink:

Edited by MikeyIdea

So the police were willing to abandon any criminal case so long as the other family accepted $ compensation? Interesting approach to justice.

I know of incident a couple of months ago, a guy shot an killed another guy(both Thai), the shooter spent a few days in jail while the family gathered some money, they paid 400K, the other family accepted the deal, and the guy walked. Anyway, these things don't just happen in Thailand, it happens a lot places.

I was told the police acted more or less as negotiators between the parties involved, and that was it, finished.

Anyway, good posts above and below by both NanLaew and Totster. This is the way things are in a number of regions in the world, it's not just Thailand.

The police not only act as negotiators. If the payout isn't readily available, a debt contract is signed which the BIB enforce with the threat of criminal proceedings.

THEY ALSO TAKE A COMMISSION!

I know of several cases where the police didn't take any commission at all, were not interested in it either. Not saying that it doesn't happen either of course, just that it doesn't happen every time by far

Debt contracts signed which the BIB enforce with the threat of criminal proceedings are also rare, only for idiots who don't know the law. One of the bigger differences between civil law and criminal law in Thailand is that there is (normally) no compensation to have in criminal cases. Opening up a criminal case and the one who does it won't even get compensated for his lawyers costs... Doesn't sound attractive.

A threat with criminal proceedings in this case, where the police already have opened up a criminal proceedings case sounds a bit hollow to me

It doesn't matter if I murder a whole family and their dog, if I walk into the kitchen and there drop a knife on my foot, that event in of itself is an accident.

Why is this concept so hard to understand for people? Her supposed lack of a license etc doesn't change the nature of the event.

Do you accept that some accidents are easier avoided than others?

When people do something that they know to be dangerous, like driving under the influence, or driving underage, and an accident occurs because of it, nobody is saying that it was intentional, but they are saying that it could have been avoided by following laws and using common sense. If you ignore these two things, and bad stuff happens, you can't just say "well i'm sorry but i didn't mean for this to happen" and expect others to say "Yes we know you didn't. Don't worry, we are not blaming you. Accidents happen and all that". Well i wouldn't say that. Some people here clearly would.

By the way, anyone have any real, direct experience with how much a taken life is worth in Thailand these days???

I remember a case a couple years ago in Hua Hin where a youngster waiting on the side of the road was hit and killed by a drunken Thai driver. My GF at the time who was familiar with the case said the victim's family received 5,000 baht from the driver.

Obviously, I'd think, the price depends on the status/income of the responsible party.... But I think you'll find, life can be taken and paid off for a shockingly cheap price here....

I work at a transport company here, with over 100 trucks.

Unfortunatly about 1 time per year one of our trucks is involved in a fatality involving a motorcycle. Sad but true.

You would not belive how much effort we put into safe driving, driver fatigue management etc, all watered down by the crap standard of Thai drivers in general & motorcyclists in particular.

It is rarely our drivers fault, but under Thai "law" it is, because he was driving the larger vehicle.

Anyway, we always send a representative to meet with the deceased persons family.

We normally end up donating between 5 & 15 thousand baht, to cover the immediate costs (funeral etc). We do this because of the time taken for the insurances to pay out.

Then the Insurance company make a proper payment afterwards.

Perhaps the initial donation was what yr GF was talking about.

One comment here. The law stating that the larger vehicle was at fault because it was larger was formally abolished years ago.

The donation is common when company vehicles are in accidents with private vehicles, does not apply only to larger vehicles

Many Thais think this practice is fair, I don't

Edited by MikeyIdea

Actually, yes. Having had numerous minor contacts with the road in my long history of bike riding, the first thing I want is a drink, though I prefer something sweeter.

This account of the accident doesn't sound like a "brush" does it? The door (faulty latch? or the van body being distorted?) opening as the vehicle is violently accelerated forward indicates a hard hit. Where is the expert who could find no evidence of contact, still counting his pay-off?

This is utterly disgusting. What a repugnant display of the lack of justice in this society.

No, little miss sunshine, it wasn't an "accident". It may have been unintentional, but it was a crime caused by your extreme negligence. Trying to shrug off responsibility for the deaths of 9 people as an "accident" is truly an insult to their memories.

So much for Nisa's theories that this girl is suffering. This girl needs to do hard time. She clearly has no remorse.

Rubbish, she's just a kid - of course it was an accident.

In this country, people believe in Karma and you can't change it. Whatever happens is meant to happen.

What is "supposed" about this girl's lack of a license? The fact that she should not have been there but was, did indeed change things, to say the least.

Edited by Siam Simon

I know of several cases where the police didn't take any commission at all, were not interested in it either. Not saying that it doesn't happen either of course, just that it doesn't happen every time by far

Debt contracts signed which the BIB enforce with the threat of criminal proceedings are also rare, only for idiots who don't know the law. One of the bigger differences between civil law and criminal law in Thailand is that there is (normally) no compensation to have in criminal cases. Opening up a criminal case and the one who does it won't even get compensated for his lawyers costs... Doesn't sound attractive.

A threat with criminal proceedings in this case, where the police already have opened up a criminal proceedings case sounds a bit hollow to me

Our recent case agaisnt an ex employee we split into 2 parts, the criminal side has already been dealt with at negotiation at the court and we got compensation, the civil case is still ongoing for more compensation, not all of the acts were criminal hence the two cases. The civil side is very slow moving as she is denying it (or rather she knows she will have to pay and is delaying the inevitable), civil matters can be dealt with without the need for court if both parties agree and can be done quickly, when the court gets involved though it is a long drawn out process.

I know of incident a couple of months ago, a guy shot an killed another guy(both Thai), the shooter spent a few days in jail while the family gathered some money, they paid 400K, the other family accepted the deal, and the guy walked. Anyway, these things don't just happen in Thailand, it happens a lot places.

I was told the police acted more or less as negotiators between the parties involved, and that was it, finished.

Anyway, good posts above and below by both NanLaew and Totster. This is the way things are in a number of regions in the world, it's not just Thailand.

The police not only act as negotiators. If the payout isn't readily available, a debt contract is signed which the BIB enforce with the threat of criminal proceedings.

THEY ALSO TAKE A COMMISSION!

I think you are wrong on the matter of debt contracts - I know of 2 Thai-Thai cases where debt contracts were in place, the payments were made at a police station (minus "tax") and if missed the threat was that the criminal case would proceed. The first was a killing where the offender was to pay the family B1000/month for 8 years and was in the BKK area. The second was a theft of a gold chain and 18K gold kangaroo ornament (my wife's). The chain was recovered but the ornament had been thrown away because it was not "real" gold, the thief paid it off over 12 months, and my wife inflated its value to cover the rightfully expected police commission.

My comments on this are no way related to the honda/van accident.

I feel alot better now she had the grace to turn herself in, Why was she not arrested at the site of the incident,.Why has there not been an inquiry into the police actions, Maybe there already has been , £££££, This is going the way many postes have predicted , Time will tell.

Because the police here do not attend traffic accidents no matter how horrific the event. It's the volunteer services that have all the flashing strobes, sirens and people in high-visibility gear running around scenes of accidents and/or crimes like headless chooks. That sort of work is too demeaning for the Thai police who sit around drinking tea waiting for drivers and victims to come to the station to negotiate the financial recompense.

You lot are a sad bunch. You all cry for justice, but are ready to pass your own judgement on this girl before she has been properly convicted.

And before you all get on your high horses about me defending her, I'm not..I'm quite happy for a court to decide whether she is guilty or not after reviewing all the facts and evidence (and not from reading newspaper reports like the wannabe judges on this forum)

Listen to yourselves almost baying for blood.. "lock her up, throw away the key" you say.. thank god you are not part of the legal system in any country.

This whole thing is a tradgedy.. for all involved.

totster :ph34r:

I understand your sentiment and would have wholeheartedly agreed if I didn't know anything about Thailand.

However, there is a major mistake in your assumption that everyone is trying to pass judgement on this girl.

True, we see many comments to that end, but these should be seen in the light of the Thai socio-judicial system.

If one manages to see beyond the words, one would realize that most posters are (even while they are unconciously

passing judgement on an unconvicted suspect) just trying to express their dissastisfaction towards the social order

that they know is not going to produce any justice in a case like this.

In fact, this girl is also a victim at the moment, while she is still theoretically punishable.

Even if she wants to subject herself to the trial and punishment she deserves without making any influence,

nobody would believe her. Even if she is trully not guilty, such a verdict will be scorned at by many.

In that respect, she is a victim.

But we all know that the more probable case is that she is guilty (at least some of the facts of the case are so

simple and doesnt call for an LLB to figure out she is guilty of a few offences), but would go scot free at

least partly owing to her status. and chances are she would be quite happy about that!

Those who are making vengiant comments are in fact crying for the reincarnation of justice....not with

a personal vengeance towards a 16 year old stranger, but for justice itself.

They may be wording it the wrong way, but could you actually blame them for that?

Brilliant, I and many others have put the same point over and over again, but it's the same few minority who do not and will not understand the meaning of some of some posters. Many of these don't want to know any other views, only their own.