Where The School Fees Goes ?

NextStationBangkok

I have heared International schools charge a minimum fees between 240,000 to 550,000 per student. If they have 10 students in a class it is 2.4 Million. It is quite a lot of money for a country's labour wages is set to 175-225 Bhat a day. How does the money spent and how much profit ? Are they paying big Tax to the government ? International Schools are under clutches of Politicians ?. Does some social forum/groups fighting agianst these schools ?. I don't see any media is addressing this issue ? Already goverment is complaining about IQ level is low among Thai students ? What will be the future of this country having denied English Education rights ? As a Farang come from different countries what do you advice ?.

Probably into the pockets of the usual people. There is a school in my hometown here in the south of Thailand that run a mini English program. Last year they made a profit of 7 million baht based on my friends calculations on how many students in the program, the cost of the program and how much all the falang teachers in the program get paid in total. Maybe they had some other expences but 7 million baht is an awful lot of money considering the resources and conditions are very average. The money's gone somewhere but certainly not to the students.

The sad thing is many schools are catching on. A school with 2000-3000 students only has to bring in a falang, charge 1000 baht/semester/student for the new English program, and bingo!, the school is on it's way to financial freedom.

I completely agree to this so long as the money goes back to the students and Thailands education system.

I have heared International schools charge a minimum fees between 240,000 to 550,000 per student. If they have 10 students in a class it is 2.4 Million. It is quite a lot of money for a country's labour wages is set to 175-225 Bhat a day. How does the money spent and how much profit ? Are they paying big Tax to the government ?  International Schools are under clutches of Politicians ?. Does some social forum/groups fighting agianst these schools ?. I don't see any media is addressing this issue ? Already goverment is complaining about IQ level is low among Thai students ? What will be the future of this country having denied English Education rights ? As a Farang come from different countries what do you advice ?.

Well, now.....

The major international schools in Bangkok, at least, are run by private foundations, not the government, and they hardly expect to attract children whose parents are making B175 a day. That may not strike you as socially just, but it's no different than in any other country which has private schools for those who can afford them. Some of the minor international schools, however, are run as for-profit companies. Whether you think that an adequate educational experience can be delivered by a company trying at the same time to maximize it profits, is a different question.