Swimming Pools

thaiflyer1

I/m on getting a pool built at the moment in Pattaya on the original specs i asked for 2m depth at the deep end.............they have dug the hole and laid the base turns out its only 1.70m deep........the builder reckons that City Hall wont allow private dwellings to have pools with a depth of 2m and that 1.70m is the maximum.

Anybody heard of such a rule and how deep are your pools?

Or is he trying to pull a fast one on the cost side? :o

Apparently there are safety regulations limiting the maximum water depth of home swimming pools to 1.6 metres.

Oh well, makes me feel a bit better if we're all in the same boat.

What colour tiles have you got in yours Jai Dee?

I/m opting for light blue with a darker blue grout..............the builder was wanting to use dark blue ones...........i thought it would end up look like a fish pond rather than a pool................opted for the darker grout as i thought it would stay cleaner longer........any thoughts?

What  colour  tiles  have  you  got  in  yours  Jai Dee?

I/m  opting  for  light  blue  with  a  darker  blue  grout..............the  builder  was  wanting  to  use  dark  blue  ones...........i  thought  it  would  end  up  look  like  a  fish  pond  rather  than  a  pool................opted  for  the  darker  grout  as  i  thought  it  would  stay  cleaner  longer........any  thoughts?

I'm opting for two colours... a dark blue and a light blue tile... laid in a crossword type pattern, with dark blue tiles above the water line.

A mate has a pool done in this style and the effect is great (see photo below).

:o

White tiles will look light blue, light blue tiles will get a bit darker.

The most used combination is the light blue tiles on the bottom and the sides, with dark blue tiles around at the waterline, and also on all the corners inside the swimmingpool.

Finish everything with a sandwash border all around...

Even in a swimmingpool done in pink marble, the water will cast a light blueish effect, absolutely gorgeous :o Just like the Romans swam...

I've just been outside to measure the depth of my pool - deep end = 1.89 mtrs. shallow end = 0.89. Because we had some rain yesterday, it is about 3 cms. over normal. Please don't tell City Hall as I don't want them pouring cement in to bring the depth down to 1.70 LOL. I have light blue tiles with the obligatory dolphins in dark blue and dark blue tiles around edge of pool. I have seen the ones with dark blue tiles but think the light ones make the water look cleaner.

Two points here - 1. If no kids are likely to use your pool, you might want the shallow end a little deeper.

2. If you have sand wash around the pool side, make sure the water does NOT come as high as the s/w because it is difficult to clean. ie. sometimes a black algea type stuff sticks to the pool side.

Hope this helps. :o:D

I am thinking about putting in a pool can you guys give me a ruff idea of how much your pools cost. Also I live in N/E thailand anyone know of a Pool company operating in the N/E.

I tried Global house in Khon kaen but no one new anthing about swimming pools which suprised me as while back there where some fiberglass pools out the front

I am thinking about putting in a pool can you guys give me a ruff idea of how much your pools cost. Also I live in N/E thailand anyone know of a Pool company operating in the N/E.

I tried Global house in Khon kaen but no one new anthing about swimming pools which suprised me as while back there where some fiberglass pools out the front

Mines not finished yet so cant post any pics but its 12mx4m cost was 600k baht for pool and Jaccuzi/Spa also waterfall 4m wide by 3m high..........and he's throwing in a shower area.

Cant help you regards who does them in KK . :o

Better add i also had to pay 40k to get 3 phase electric put in (pool has 3 pumps)

I had a pool in Australia a few years ago, that was designed by the architect to be a "Feature". He advised me to use 6 lights in the pool and tiles that were nearly black. It was a big "L" shaped pool with a garden and "Greco-Roman" type ornaments and fountains.

It was a bit odd to swim in at first, but the effect at night was amazing. Sadly I don't have a photo I can post of it.

I was thinking of having my pool lined with white 'hin cut' (I think this may be marbleite?) to give a carved look, and the builder suggested sandwash around the outside. Having read your post re the algae, will have to rethink. Have also heard that 'marbleite' discolours after 8 or 9 years. An engineer friend once told me that white concrete pools are common in Australia. Anyone had any experience with this?

Mines not finished yet so cant post any pics but its 12mx4m cost was 600k baht for pool and Jaccuzi/Spa also waterfall 4m wide by 3m high..........and he's throwing in a shower area.

Cant help you regards who does them in KK . :o

Better add i also had to pay 40k to get 3 phase electric put in (pool has 3 pumps)

Hi Thai flyer,

i am also interested in getting a pool fitted, the price of your pool seams very goods with the size and extras you are having fitted, when it is finished i would be greatful if you could send me a picture and if you are happy with the builder their contact details. I wish the project well and hope it is to the standard you require

Looking forward to hearing about the finished product

Hi Thai flyer,

i am also interested in getting a pool fitted, the price of your pool seams very goods with the size and extras you are having fitted, when it is finished i would be greatful if you could send me a picture and if you are happy with the builder their contact details. I wish the project well and hope it is to the standard you require

Will do.............could be another month before its finished though.

I've got a couple of pics of other pools he's done if you pm me with an e-mail address i/ll send them.

The only one building small swimming pools around here in Isaan is Home and Pool from Pattaya . Ask for Mr Vichapol 01 838 8042. He built 12 meter pools in Yasothon and Suwanapum. He provides good :o after sales service. My 8x16 m pool was built by another comp.

The large ones in Isaan (25 meter) are all built by Pool and Spa Bangkok.

• 2 months later...

Well, I don't have any specific advice at this stage, Jai Dee but I do have a question that's been nagging me ever since I started planning the pool I'm going to build. Fresh water vs. saline and whether you require a SWG (saline water generator) with a fresh water pool for better chlorine control? I do know that you require a larger pump/motor with a saline pool which in turn demands more from our friends at EGAT.

From everything I've read so far, saline pools are not any less work than fresh water pools but neither are they any more - just a different kind of maintenance schedule. The thought of lugging dozens of bottles of bleach home from Home Pro or wherever you buy that kind of stuff puts me off but like I say - still at the 'toddler' stage in determining what I'll do.

Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions, boys! :o

BM

Edited by Boon Mee

Well, I don't have any specific advice at this stage, Jai Dee but I do have a question that's been nagging me ever since I started planning the pool I'm going to build.  Fresh water vs. saline and whether you require a SWG (saline water generator) with a fresh water pool for better chlorine control?  I do know that you require a larger pump/motor with a saline pool which in turn demands more from our friends at EGAT.

From everything I've read so far, saline pools are not any less work than fresh water pools but neither are they any more - just a different kind of maintenance schedule.  The thought of lugging dozens of bottles of bleach home from Home Pro or wherever you buy that kind of stuff puts me off but like I say - still at the 'toddler' stage in determining what I'll do.

BM

I don't think that you will require larger pumps with a saline pool. I am an engineer but pumps is not my specialty although I did study them somewhat in school. In pumping a fluid the density and viscosity are the important characteristics of the fluid in determining power required for pumping...I can't think of any other characteristics that would matter. Sea water is about 3% denser than pure water.....but a saline pool is way way less salty than sea water...a friend of mine said that his pool is about 10% as salty as sea water. This would mean that the density of saline pool water is less than 0.5% more dense than pure water....this is insignificant in terms of increased pumping effort. The difference in viscosity between pure water and sea water is equivalent to a difference of approximately 10 degrees fahrenheit.....what this means is that pure water at 70 degrees F. has the same viscosity as sea water at 80 degrees F.....so you can see that the viscosity is a non issue as well....especially considering that saline pool water is way way less salty than pure water. If you can provide a link to some information that indicates that a larger pump is needed I'd like to see it since I always allow for the fact that I have something more to learn.

Well, I don't have any specific advice at this stage, Jai Dee but I do have a question that's been nagging me ever since I started planning the pool I'm going to build.  Fresh water vs. saline and whether you require a SWG (saline water generator) with a fresh water pool for better chlorine control?  I do know that you require a larger pump/motor with a saline pool which in turn demands more from our friends at EGAT.

From everything I've read so far, saline pools are not any less work than fresh water pools but neither are they any more - just a different kind of maintenance schedule.  The thought of lugging dozens of bottles of bleach home from Home Pro or wherever you buy that kind of stuff puts me off but like I say - still at the 'toddler' stage in determining what I'll do.

BM

I don't think that you will require larger pumps with a saline pool. I am a

engineer but pumps is not my specialty although I did study them somewhat in school. In pumping a fluid the density and viscosity are the important characteristics of the fluid in determining power required for pumping...I can't think of any other characteristics that would matter. Sea water is about 3% denser than pure water.....but a saline pool is way way less salty than sea water...a friend of mine said that his pool is about 10% as salty as sea water. This would mean that the density of saline pool water is less than 0.5% more dense than pure water....this is insignificant in terms of increased pumping effort. The difference in viscosity between pure water and sea water is equivalent to a difference of approximately 10 degrees fahrenheit.....what this means is that pure water at 70 degrees F. has the same viscosity as sea water at 80 degrees F.....so you can see that the viscosity is a non issue as well....especially considering that saline pool water is way way less salty than pure water. If you can provide a link to some information that indicates that a larger pump is needed I'd like to see it since I always allow for the fact that I have something more to learn.

Cheers for the input Chownah, let me find the reference and I'll post it.

Meanwhile, another pool question involving pumps. Some folks swear by 2-speeed units and others claim you only require a single-speed pump. I should imagine it's easier when you sweep the pool, a second-stage would come in useful.

I'd also like to know about:

1. concrete pools....is there a problem with them...do they start to look naff? How do you make the very smooth finish sometimes seen on concrete? It seems concrete only would bring the price down a lot...why isn't it done?

2. saline pools....I hate chlorine...what are the benefits/defects of saline?

By the way I've heard of a decent size pool being built for 300kBaht

thanx a lot

john

Mines  not  finished  yet  so  cant  post  any  pics  but  its  12mx4m  cost  was  600k baht  for  pool  and  Jaccuzi/Spa  also  waterfall  4m  wide  by  3m  high..........and  he's  throwing  in  a  shower  area.

Cant  help  you  regards  who  does  them  in  KK .  :o

Better  add  i  also  had  to  pay  40k  to  get  3  phase  electric  put  in  (pool  has  3  pumps)

the thing that puts me off about pools is the running cost and work to keep it clean. how much do you pay per month for chemicals, electricity, etc and how much work do you put into it?

Had several pools in Australia - Tiles are the way to go if you are there for the duration - try anti mould grout - Salt water I found to be easier to maintain but the freshwater guys say the same 50/50.

One thing on depth shallow ends are good especially for kids and if the better half is not a swimmer she can still splash around - erect a sail for cutting down on direct sunlight.

I had light fitted to my first pool we used fibre optic cable which kept the light source hence power away from the actual pool - recommend this much safer for all concerned.

Mines  not  finished  yet  so  cant  post  any  pics  but  its  12mx4m  cost  was  600k baht  for  pool  and  Jaccuzi/Spa  also  waterfall  4m  wide  by  3m  high..........and  he's  throwing  in  a  shower  area.

Better  add  i  also  had  to  pay  40k  to  get  3  phase  electric  put  in  (pool  has  3  pumps)

the thing that puts me off about pools is the running cost and work to keep it clean. how much do you pay per month for chemicals, electricity, etc and how much work do you put into it?

Mines (see photo below my name) is a commercial pool 8x16 m and 1.6 m at the deep end plus a small children pool 5x5m. Total water volume 180 m3 and total running cost THB 3000 per month.

A friend has a private overflow pool of 5x10x1.20 meter and has total running costs of THB 800 per month using a UV - ozone filter which cuts chlorine consumption by half :D . Cleaning every fourth day 20 min.

Mines (see photo below my name) is a commercial pool 8x16 m and 1.6 m at the deep end plus a small children pool 5x5m. Total water volume 180 m3 and total running cost THB 3000 per month.

A friend has a private overflow pool of 5x10x1.20 meter and has total running costs of THB 800 per month using a UV - ozone filter which cuts chlorine consumption by half :D . Cleaning every fourth day 20 min.

Does you THB 3000 per month include paying someone to do the work or is it all in chemicals and electricity?

Does you THB 3000 per month include paying someone to do the work or is it all in chemicals and electricity?

THB 3000 is for chemical and electricity. Since this is a commercial pool with a restaurant and 30 people at peak times in the pool costs for staff are calculated separately.

Mines (see photo below my name) is a commercial pool 8x16 m and 1.6 m at the deep end plus a small children pool 5x5m. Total  water volume 180 m3 and total running cost THB 3000 per month.

A friend has a private overflow pool of 5x10x1.20 meter and has total running costs of THB 800 per month using a UV - ozone filter which cuts chlorine consumption by half :o . Cleaning every fourth day 20 min.

really, that's not bad at all. i'm actually thinking of something quite small anyhow, just to splash around in, say 3m x 4m.

what is an "overflow pool " and how does a UV ozone filter work?. thanks for the info.

Mines (see photo below my name) is a commercial pool 8x16 m and 1.6 m at the deep end plus a small children pool 5x5m. Total  water volume 180 m3 and total running cost THB 3000 per month.

A friend has a private overflow pool of 5x10x1.20 meter and has total running costs of THB 800 per month using a UV - ozone filter which cuts chlorine consumption by half :o . Cleaning every fourth day 20 min.

really, that's not bad at all. i'm actually thinking of something quite small anyhow, just to splash around in, say 3m x 4m.

what is an "overflow pool " and how does a UV ozone filter work?. thanks for the info.

Overflow is the standard nowadays. The water flows over the edges of the pool and then returns back to the filter.

A UV filter produces Ozone and sanitizes water with a purification 3000 x more effective :D than Chlorine. It is absolutely harmless and used for drinking water preparation at the final stage, water cleaning in commercial pools, spas, fun parks etc

Besides this Ozone provides a pleasant smell, is very gentle for the skin due to the increased PH value.

Frankly speaking a small pool can run on Ozone treatment and you can forget about the the stinking, agressive chlorine.

The function is explained below.

www.poolandspa.co.th see facts about ozonators

www.lentech.com UV systems for pools

www.snapa.co.th

Overflow is the standard nowadays. The water flows over the edges of the pool and then returns back to the filter.

A UV filter produces Ozone and sanitizes water with a purification 3000 x more effective  :o than Chlorine. It is absolutely harmless and used for drinking water preparation at the final stage, water cleaning in commercial pools, spas, fun parks etc

Besides this Ozone provides a pleasant smell, is very gentle for the skin due to the increased PH value.

Frankly speaking a small pool can run on Ozone treatment and you can forget about the the stinking, agressive chlorine.

The function is explained below.

www.poolandspa.co.th      see facts about ozonators

www.lentech.com                      UV systems for pools

www.snapa.co.th

i'm sold, it's pool time for me, as soon as it stops raining anyhow.

thanks for the info guys.