How Hard Can It Be To Buy A Bed

pjclark1

I have been trying to buy a new king size bed inc mattress. It has taken me 3 days Some shops only sell the frame Some shops only sell mattresses None of the furniture shops had any prices on anything. About 5 shops didn't seem to understand we wanted the complete item. This is totally bonkers considering my Thai wife was with me.She had never bought or owned any furniture before, on the farm they slept on sleeping mats on the floor

Thank god we found a shop called Koncept, they seemed to know how to sell furniture. But even then we had to negotiate for the frame and mattress separately. Everything in the shop was priced, none of the prices applied. There was the retail price, the sale price (about 1/2 retail), and then the 'we can discount more' price (another 20% off the sale price) Finally got a reasonable bed and mattress for 8.6kbh delivered. (starting price over 20kbht)

In one shop I totally lost it, the salesman seemed mildly retarded and was unable to understand English or Thai. I just had to walk out. This was the hardest purchase I have ever had to made in my life,it totally freaked me out.

Edited by pjclark1

Jeeze Koncept is cheap stuff and poor quality - get the frame from Baan Tawai and the matress from Airport Plaza

Agreed on the cheap stuff.

But it is very difficult to find a good, comfortable mattress :)

Jeeze Koncept is cheap stuff and poor quality - get the frame from Baan Tawai and the matress from Airport Plaza

Agreed on the cheap stuff.

But it is very difficult to find a good, comfortable mattress :)

I have many friends who own condos for rent and sell - we all buy Koncept for the condos that rent out at 5,000 plus and Baan Tawai for condos 10,000 plus - they are what they are... they are ok but cannot compare with a teak wood gorgeous thing from Baan Tawai with a quality mattress (mine cost 26,000) from airport plaza etc.

You cannot expect to get a decent bed AND mattress for 8,600! not if you value your back

understand you 100%. About 5 years ago I did the same thing. i was index (3rd shop) and i was assured 5 times what I was buying was the mattress and the frame, along with free pillow and sheets, cost me 18K. Next day in at the office my GF called and said they delivered everything. I get home and all I see is a mattress on the floor with pillows and sheets, i ask where the frame is are they bringing it later what? She said she does not know. I asked her if she signed that everything was delivered, yes she did. i look at our receipt and the packing slip each showing 5 items, I start going through this with her and she cant tell me what everything is.

I was so pissed, i went to the store, of course you know it, too bad we got everything. So then I had to go out and buy another frame.

things that should be so simple is sooo hard!!!! got to love Thailand!!!!

understand you 100%. About 5 years ago I did the same thing. i was index (3rd shop) and i was assured 5 times what I was buying was the mattress and the frame, along with free pillow and sheets, cost me 18K. Next day in at the office my GF called and said they delivered everything. I get home and all I see is a mattress on the floor with pillows and sheets, i ask where the frame is are they bringing it later what? She said she does not know. I asked her if she signed that everything was delivered, yes she did. i look at our receipt and the packing slip each showing 5 items, I start going through this with her and she cant tell me what everything is.

I was so pissed, i went to the store, of course you know it, too bad we got everything. So then I had to go out and buy another frame.

It is not hard. You do need to look at the invoice to confirm that it includes everything and exactly states the models you want to buy before you pay for expensive stuff.

It is not hard. You do need to look at the invoice to confirm that it includes everything and exactly states the models you want to buy before you pay for expensive stuff.

I guess I did not explain enough, When buying my GF as most Thai's do was guessing that this is this and that is that when looking at the invoice (everything is in Thai and the model number is not going to help when they dont show a model number on the display and the person with you does not know what things are) my GF signed the packing slip saying we received everything, went to the store and of course she signed saying we got everything. Like I said it was only 18K so not expensive.

You guys are sure having a string of bad luck.

Eight months ago, I went down to Big C where they were selling bed/frame/mattress combos out under a tent in the parking lot. Shopped about 30 minutes. Paid 12,000B for a king-sized bed combo. They delivered it in 2 hours. I've now been sleeping on the most comfortable bed I've had in 7 years in Thailand.

Maybe I just had freakish good luck? blink.gif

Or maybe a better attitude starting out?

MSPain

You guys are sure having a string of bad luck.

Eight months ago, I went down to Big C where they were selling bed/frame/mattress combos out under a tent in the parking lot. Shopped about 30 minutes. Paid 12,000B for a king-sized bed combo. They delivered it in 2 hours. I've now been sleeping on the most comfortable bed I've had in 7 years in Thailand.

Maybe I just had freakish good luck? blink.gif

I guess I did not explain enough, When buying my GF as most Thai's do was guessing that this is this and that is that when looking at the invoice (everything is in Thai and the model number is not going to help when they dont show a model number on the display and the person with you does not know what things are) my GF signed the packing slip saying we received everything, went to the store and of course she signed saying we got everything. Like I said it was only 18K so not expensive.

It is a monkey house game if you can not confirm what you are buying.

I had a Bed made in Baan Tawan some 8 years ago, so far no complaints.

The bed maker arranged the mattress and now I am in the market for a new one.

Any recommendations for place to purchase ?

john

There's a bed shop going towards Baan Tawai on the left - De Big Collection 053 434 685 - I buy all my beds there.

I did check out some very nice traditional carved Teak bed frames in Bo Sang

From 18k for one where almost every inch was carved, up to 22k for a four poster.

Can't really justify such an investment for living in a 5k rented house that I might have to throw away at the end of a relationship.

(hoping for the best with my lady, but lets face it, Thailand is always likely to end with a walk away scenario)

My bed arrives this morning, I would never let my girl sign for anything.

Gullible, I think is the word I was looking for.

Edited by pjclark1

I did check out some very nice traditional carved Teak bed frames in Bo Sang

From 18k for one where almost every inch was carved, up to 22k for a four poster.

Can't really justify such an investment for living in a 5k rented house that I might have to throw away at the end of a relationship.

(hoping for the best with my lady, but lets face it, Thailand is always likely to end with a walk away scenario)

hey a rented house should always come with a bed frame and 90% of the time with a mattress - ask the landlord to buy it?

hey a rented house should always come with a bed frame and 90% of the time with a mattress - ask the landlord to buy it?

My 5k, 2 bedroom house comes with an old double bed with very sad mattress, the other bedroom has a sleeping mat on the floor.

A couple of very old sofas, a rusty fridge, and a very old table and chairs. No foreigners on that estate, just Thais, until now.

No air-con, no cooker but also no deposit!

So not all bad.

john

Go for the latex one!... Mam's place has the best... They Advertise here...

My 5k, 2 bedroom house comes with an old double bed with very sad mattress, the other bedroom has a sleeping mat on the floor.

A couple of very old sofas, a rusty fridge, and a very old table and chairs. No foreigners on that estate, just Thais, until now.

No air-con, no cooker but also no deposit!

So not all bad.

jeeze... I guess you can't ask for much for 150 US!

Good mattresses aren't cheap, that's all.

I tried to use the one our rental house came with but after a while, just not worth it to have a bad back or wake up aching. Latex mattress cost 20k at Home Pro, problem solved. Latex mattress pricing is very simple, as it's mainly determined by the price of Latex, or rubber. So it's like the gas price, will be more or less the same the world over.

And yeah, I have to wonder - I see those - usually a bit cheaper - bed/mattress combos everywhere. How is that hard?!

PS: They also have OOoomz (or something) brand name Latex mattresses at Home Pro - only they cost 2x for the same quantity of Latex and are therefore a rip-off. 2x _after_ a 50% discount, actually, the price tag on them was something outlandish like 76k. Discounted to "only" 38...

I once met a factory owner from the south - he told me his latex goes in all the brands, no difference....

Edited by nikster

john

Go for the latex one!... Mam's place has the best... They Advertise here...

Agreed. Latex is the most comfortable sleep, plus no mites or any insects can live on latex..

This is the place I suggest and they are a sponsor Latex Mattress

I hear you. Funny how just when you think you're setting out to do the simplest thing, it turns out to be extremey difficult and frustrating (TIT+). A typical Thai adventure. I just try to take note when all the things that are a pain back where I'm from are super-simple due to the less complicated regulations here in this blessed land (TIT, right on!).

john

Go to the NE corner of the moat (going clockwise) and turn left like you are trying to get to the side entrance to Tesco Kam tieng (excuse the spelling there). At the second or third set of traffic lights that you get to you will see a bed shop on the far right corner of the lights. They have about 20 different mattresses all set out on beds for your testing delights. A wide range of very reasonably priced mattresses (bed frames too).

Enjoy! The best value I could find anywhere - and they sell a LOT of mattresses.

I prefer a very firm mattress due to lower back problems. A few years ago I tried putting a good quality latex topper on a fairly cheap mattress made of coconut husk fibers. This turns out to be a great combo as I have never woken up with back pain since. Now all of the beds in our house are done this way.

Warning: be sure and take a tape measure with you when you are shopping for frames and mattresses. I saw a bit of variation in sizes especially in king size frames and mattresses.

I have a bad back (DDD) and the latex didn't suite my back at all so be careful if you have a back condition - the Latex company on here are very good though and I'd recommend them if the latex is suitable for you

Yeah, its too bad that it did not help your condition. But the truth be told, you are the ONLY one that found it did not help a bad back or joints. Mind you, your issue is quite severe. Hope you did find some relief somehow....

yea man - it's severe and on drugs- your company is cool and helped me alot - nothing but recommendations for Mam and you for helping me so much - I want to make it clear - these guys were GREAT and if you need a latex they are number ONE - truthful, honest and professional.

Never had a problem at Index. They have a wide selection of mattresses and beds. The staff know little about the products they are selling and their English skills are weak, but that's standard for Thailand. However, it's not difficult to check and confirm with a little Thai, the invoice and some English when you get to the check out stage. I prefer sales staff to leave me alone when I'm buying anyway.

Edited by Loaded