World Pizza Council Revokes Pizza Company’s Use Of Word ‘Pizza’

Boater

I remember the laughter years ago about the French stopping the world calling sparkling wine Champagne,it happened, being a pizza lover and maker, i love traditional pizza and have nothing against anyone experimenting,,just wish pizza company would show some decency and take there bloody sign down right across from my pizza place,typical... hehehehehehe

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody has their own likes and dislikes. If Pizza Co sucks so badly, they probably would have closed down years ago but their not. In fact, they are doing fantastic in Thailand. Italians are bunch of morons for bringing up this issue. Does every restaurant in Italy serves good pizza in the first place?

Next thing you know, they probably start complaining about pastas :)

No, that's why hey're Pizza Company now and not Pizza Hut..

Personally, I find neither very edible. At least PizzaCo won't cause a stroke with the salt lick pizzas made at the Hut!

In Chiang Mai? Try Koh Lanta pizza off Nimmanheimin Rd (Soi 4, I think). Small shop, wood-fired oven. Great crust. About half the price of the chain store crap.

...and we the Belgians, owners of the largest beer brewing company in the world and brewers since the days of Julius Cesar will sue the Singha Brewery if they still continue to call the stuff they brew "beer"

With due respect, from a great lover of Belgian beer, anything you guys were brewing in the age of Caesar wouldn't even be identifiable as beer now. And Singh is by no means a bad beer by current world standards. Imagine how the Czechs feel about American "Budweiser", or for that matter, all the dreadful crap sold as "pilsner".

But yes, the same principle. It's all a bit silly, but if helps to bring attention to what real pizza is about, then all to the better.

Such is Thailand and such is the ability of American-style fast food joints to please a people whose own food is far far superior to American food. Even a poor fried rice is way better food than a US-style pizza.

You are comparing apples and oranges. There is lots of excellent regional cuisine in the US. You have obviously never eaten at good restaurants in New York, San Francisco and New Orleans. :rolleyes:

Half a day later and people are still posting as if it is real news!!!! Quite surprising really. Does it tell you anything? :blink:

look on the bright side at least everyone is being nice to each other and only rubbishing a bit of food.

Its all about perceptions. Most Thais don't know what a real Italian pizza tastes like, and as Thai food is rather unusal The Pizza Company comes up unusual concoctions that appeal to the Thai taste. There is also an element of economics too; cheese/olive oil/etc are expensive and thus cheap ingrediants such as mayonaise/sugar/etc are substituted, and since your average Thai doesnt know any better, they except it as being what a pizza is.

When we were in Vancouver my wife asked at a "Thai restaurant" for som tam. They served her coleslaw.

Turnabout is fair play -- a lot of "Thai restaurants" back home should be booted out of the international brothership of Thai restaurants.

PS Pizza-like Substance Company sucks.

Typical TV digression. Someone posts a humerous quotation from a reputable satire site and everyone dives off into some irrelevant debate about Western food, and how it isn't like it is back home.

I thought it was an entertaining and well-written piece, and, with a remarkable piece of sublte irony, even picked up on the poor factual accuracy of the local press.

No wonder Notthenation is the preferred source for news in Thailand!

SC

is the pizza company really a subsidiary of Yum brands?

No, but Pizza Hut is. As for Pizza Company (according to Google): The Pizza Company (Thai: เดอะ พิซซ่า คอมปะนี) is a restaurant chain and international franchise based in Bangkok, Thailand. With focus on pizza and Italian-American cuisine, it is a wholly owned subsidiary of Minor International (previously known as The Minor Food Group).

Countries currently with The Pizza Company locations:

The above flags tells all

Having worked and lived in Italy were I did eat REAL Italian Pizza and for all the hubris in the Forum about this subject I can guarantee you I have never eaten a Real Italian Pizza outside of Italy, except at an Italian acquaintance who worked at Disneyland in Anaheim and whose wife had a REAL home cooking Italian food small restaurant on Katella Ave, Anaheim. She operated the restaurant to save the money to go back to Italy to buy a Citrus Grove were her and her husband by now have been living the past 30-years, all from money saved by her husband working at Disneyland and operating a Gardening Service on the weekend and her operating the Italian restaurant.

As for Pizza Company, compared with so called real Italian Pizza outlets like Pizza Hut the Pizza Company food far surpasses what Pizza Hut puts on the table. While Pizza Hut keeps aping Pizza Company’s different selections of food.

What is the whole hubris about you can see in all the different flags of countries were Pizza Company has outlets/franchises.

Simply the Italians are behaving like children instead of intelligent business people and are still smarting over loosing the law suit to stop Pizza Company establishing itself after its contract with Pizza Hut expired.

Fascinating stuff. Not sure what is worse, the arrogance of the Italians, or the Pizza Company creations. Yes, the cheese filled crust, and the crab

stick additions are pretty tacky, and surprising for a country that adores their food so much. But, for the "Pizza council" to take such offense? Have

they got no lives? Why such thin skin. Who cares? There is enough good pizza in the world. So what if someone is creating bad pizza. Get a

freaking life, for God's sake. is it not up to the individual to make a choice about whether eating gourmet or not is a priority for them? It is just

another pompous Italian making a declaration. The world needs to learn to start ignoring these fools, and their silly pronouncements. Who cares?

You hit the nail on the head with 'arrogance of the Italians'.. Typically over dramatic, just like their footballers, What jurisdiction does the European Union Court have in Thailand over the manufacture of any food.

What is this guy talking about? “To do so is to spit in the faces of my Neapolitan ancestors.', ” 'violations of pizza tradition', “this is a crime against humanity.” “protect the traditions and purity of Italy’s most famous and beloved culinary export” Was this formed after they found out the Chinese beat them to spaghetti? It is pathetic, the worst thing is that this action will cost European tax payers a lot of money..

Mario Lugano, get a real job,... Super Mario! Or go home, Have a nice glass of Californian wine, with some tom yum and watch the replay of the Liverpool AC Milan final in 2005.

When we were in Vancouver my wife asked at a "Thai restaurant" for som tam. They served her coleslaw.

Turnabout is fair play -- a lot of "Thai restaurants" back home should be booted out of the international brothership of Thai restaurants.

I remember there was an attempt to create some kind of international accreditation for Thai restaurants abroad, don't know what happened to it. So many of them are run by other Asian ethnicities, in my hometown there were at last count 4 Thai restaurants, all run by Chinese and Filipinos. Some stuff tasted ok but most of it wasn't really Thai.

The world pizza council should leave the Pizza Company alone, cause when ever I leave Thailand I always crave a decent pizza when I get the chance.....If you have ever eaten Thai Food in Italy some people would be disgusted with the slop they serve.

Pizza tastes different all over the world, its the Americans who have " Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo Echo Delta" pizza for the world all that Tripple cheese puff crust sausage bbq sause.......Pizza is better left simple mozzarella, basil , real tomato sauce and fresh pizza dough all baked in a wood fire oven served as an side dish not as full meal

The World Pizza Council is a Thai invention, with nothing to do in Italy and that doesn't own any right on the word "Pizza". To put things in perspective, this whole thread is a joke to allow people to vent their dislike of that particular pizza. Pizza company pizza is not the best nor is it the worst in the world. I hope they will continue to be in business for many years.

Half a day later and people are still posting as if it is real news!!!! Quite surprising really. Does it tell you anything? :blink:

Yes....... back to Bedlam where most people read and understand the OP.

Of all the "I missed the humour and I'm going to have a rant for no good reason at something fictitious" threads on TV, this one should be framed, and all the posters that didn't get it should be forced to wear 'Hello Kitty' arm bands for a month just for being that dumb. (and maybe a pointy hat with a D on it)

I agree with the World Pizza Council... the pizza company does not sell anything that resembles a pizza.. it's garbage and should'nt be called a "pizza." :blink: When my Thai friends suggest eating a "pizza" at the pizza company, I can't explain to them what a real pizza tastes like.. Even here in the U.S., Thai's don't like the taste of a real pizza, like from Domino's or Uncle Johns pizza or Pied Piper Pizza, they are so used to the junk they eat in Thailand. Maybe the should change the name to "The Seafood on a piece of crappy crust Company".

Edited by khaowong1

Member fvw53, you are right ! It is not only the pizza that is killed in this country. The one and only pizza you eat in Bella Italia, the real Hamburger in Germany, the real beer you drink in Germany, Belgium or The Netherlands.

Let's take the cheese called Gouda, usually made in Down Under. It tasts like wall putty, in Dutch "stopverf" ! Take the sigars made in so many countries except Cuba and surrounding countries and ....The Netherlands. I am glad I can buy real cheese and real sigars in Nongkhai and Udon.

"What's in a name" once said a famous person. Yes, but he was obviously no Italian, German, Belgian or Dutch.

Well I do like the Pizza company and sadly am probably one of their best non-corporate customers. But it is somewhat of an abortion to call it Pizza.

That said I know a bit about trademark law and I don't think there is a damned thing they can do about them calling it pizza.

I'm fairly certain I could setup a hot dog stand and call the hot dog's pizza and they couldn't do anything about that either.

:lol: Guess they will have to rename it "Not the Pizza Company"

haha..

but there pizza'a are a disgrace, taste horrible !! and for the price they charge you can go to an Italian restaurant and get a ' real ' pizza .............

please indicate one single restaurant on samui that makes a good pizza. i've tried at least two or three dozen restaurants that claim to make pizza with no luck. the italian restaurant pizzas are pathetic. so many pizza ovens on the island and nobody knows how to use one.

Try the blue cheese and sausage at Juzza pizza in FV.....alternatively (and I reckon the best) the pizza place at Sala Samui.

Still looking for somewhere great though......

Typical TV digression. Someone posts a humerous quotation from a reputable satire site and everyone dives off into some irrelevant debate about Western food, and how it isn't like it is back home.

I thought it was an entertaining and well-written piece, and, with a remarkable piece of sublte irony, even picked up on the poor factual accuracy of the local press.

No wonder Notthenation is the preferred source for news in Thailand!

SC

No sitting on the fence allowed with the pizza threads.

Did you not read the rules?......:o

This was from Not the Nation, so I know it's a joke post...

The thing that makes people believe it is that the Pizza Company "circles/squares of krup" where they don't have tomato or cheese on them. How are they able to be described as Pizza without stretching the dictionary definition to breaking point.

I just wish they'd posted it on April 1st...

Anyway - the EU couldn't do anything about a US company that makes "parma ham" that has nothing whatsoever to do with real parma ham (except that it involves meat from pigs), so although Italians probably do look at a Pizza Company menu and lower their heads in shame at what's being called Italian (or Italian-American) food, there isn't anything they can actually do about it.

If it had been a real story, in theory it might impact Pizza Company operations in Poland as EU rules would apply.

Personally, I don't mind the double pepperoni pizza from Pizza Company. (But then it has tomato sauce and cheese on it, so can justifiably be called a pizza). The worst pizza I had here was one my wife bought for me from Carrefour shortly after we moved here. (It had white stuff on top, but it turned out to be some sort of salad cream/mayonnaise rather than cheese. I literally couldn't eat it...)

It is clear that many readers do not understand thew word SATIRE.

Here is a dictionary definition:

"the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc. "

It has been said that, " satire first make people laugh, and then make them think"

I was just about to point out the satire thing. I think many reading didn't see the word 'satire' up there. In all fairness though, it was hard to see due to the bright red color use on the type... :D

...and we the Belgians, owners of the largest beer brewing company in the world and brewers since the days of Julius Cesar will sue the Singha Brewery if they still continue to call the stuff they brew "beer"

InBev... still proudly touting Budweiser as a beer...

At least the Singha brewmasters throw out any beer that comes up all cloudy and musty whereas his cheap 'Phlegmish' counterpart bottles the crap and sells it with a recommendation to stick a dandelion in it.

The above comment was NOT satire.

I can't believe how people are actually being taken in by this. It is satire. But really funny all the same.

FYI The Pizza Company is not part of Yum brands. That would be Pizza Hut.

:thumbsup:

As I am back on this forum, I am appalled by the lack of humor -or is it just general knowledge?!?- by some of its members.

Edited by lazygourmet