Olympus Challenges The Lx5 And S95

MJP

Yes , f 1,8,-2,5 on the full range of 28-112 mm for a such small camera is mind boggling.

Indeed remarkable. Be interesting to see the low light tests in hands on reviews when it is released.

We are getting closer to compact heaven. I just couldn't ever see me hauling a DLSR around, it'd sit in the cupboard.

I'm going to derail my own thread now. Watch this. Just briefly now.

Does anyone here own a Panasonic GF1?

Yes , f 1,8,-2,5 on the full range of 28-112 mm for a such small camera is mind boggling.

Indeed remarkable. Be interesting to see the low light tests in hands on reviews when it is released.

We are getting closer to compact heaven. I just couldn't ever see me hauling a DLSR around, it'd sit in the cupboard.

Yes! Fantastic camera. Also have a Canon 1D and that stays in the cupboard unless I want to shoot sports.

Yes! Fantastic camera. Also have a Canon 1D and that stays in the cupboard unless I want to shoot sports.

I got the LX5 and got the bug.

So far this is what I'm achieving, which is a start I guess.

My Flickr

Question: How much better will the GF1 perform over this. Is it worth it?

The GF1 has fallen dramatically in price with the intro of the GF2 (which apparently doesn't do much more than its predecessor). 19,900 with the 20mm f1.7 lens.

Very tempted. Seems the 20mm lens is the one to go for, but know little about the other kit lens 14-45mm zoom.

Canon 1D is ummmm . . . a bit outside the upper limits of the budget (like stratospherically). DSLR's are just too big as I do occasionally travel for work, like the UK or the Caribbean. Or I just pop around the village within 20mins scooter ride to the hilly bit here.

Thanks Hughden!

Also have a Canon 1D and that stays in the cupboard unless I want to shoot sports.

I know a few "sports" that need shooting, but I think a nice 9 mm Glock would be more practical. :lol:

The only camera I covet right now is a top end Nikon D3s that has huge sensors and also shoots HD video

But at well over $5000 it's a bit out of my range right now.

Also have a Canon 1D and that stays in the cupboard unless I want to shoot sports.

I know a few "sports" that need shooting, but I think a nice 9 mm Glock would be more practical. :lol:

The only camera I covet right now is a top end Nikon D3s that has huge sensors and also shoots HD video

But at well over $5000 it's a bit out of my range right now.

It's not so much the expense of the camera body as these dam_n lenses!

Thing is Ian, I reckon a Leica M9 would be a better option, those D3's look like studio cameras, tripod only jobs, far too big.

I got the LX5 and got the bug.

So far this is what I'm achieving, which is a start I guess.

My Flickr

Question: How much better will the GF1 perform over this. Is it worth it?

The GF1 has fallen dramatically in price with the intro of the GF2 (which apparently doesn't do much more than its predecessor). 19,900 with the 20mm f1.7 lens.

Very tempted. Seems the 20mm lens is the one to go for, but know little about the other kit lens 14-45mm zoom.

Canon 1D is ummmm . . . a bit outside the upper limits of the budget (like stratospherically). DSLR's are just too big as I do occasionally travel for work, like the UK or the Caribbean. Or I just pop around the village within 20mins scooter ride to the hilly bit here.

Thanks Hughden!

The 20mm F1.7 is an astonishing lens; outperforms the Canon 24-105mm L lens I used to have. The 14-45 is no slouch either. The dangerous thing with the GF1 and other Micro-four thirds cameras is the realisation that you can use a wide range of other lenses with the use of a suitable adapter. The Contax 45mm is the second best lens ever tested, and works a treat on the GF1. There are cheapo Russian lenses, even cheaper Chinese CCTV lenses, elegant Angenieux cine lenses; all with their own character. It's cheap, or potentially expensive fun and my lens cabinet is now full with all sorts of exotica. Plus there is the marvellous Voightlander 25mm F0.95 which is made for micro four thirds.

I have the LX5 which I use for macro and extreme portability, but the GF1 takes all my serious photographs. 19,900 is a very good price. Get the viewfinder too and you can use it on both cameras.

Edited by Tywais
Fixed quote

The 20mm F1.7 is an astonishing lens; outperforms the Canon 24-105mm L lens I used to have. The 14-45 is no slouch either. The dangerous thing with the GF1 and other Micro-four thirds cameras is the realisation that you can use a wide range of other lenses with the use of a suitable adapter. The Contax 45mm is the second best lens ever tested, and works a treat on the GF1. There are cheapo Russian lenses, even cheaper Chinese CCTV lenses, elegant Angenieux cine lenses; all with their own character. It's cheap, or potentially expensive fun and my lens cabinet is now full with all sorts of exotica. Plus there is the marvellous Voightlander 25mm F0.95 which is made for micro four thirds.

I have the LX5 which I use for macro and extreme portability, but the GF1 takes all my serious photographs. 19,900 is a very good price. Get the viewfinder too and you can use it on both cameras.

Will do! Shall order.

Yes, I bought the LX5 due to my fascination with macro and it also had the 24mm lens for landscape. Viewfinder would be good but another 8000, so can wait until the bathroom is done. I hate recessions.

Edited by Tywais
fixed quote

Olympus Challenges The Lx5 And S95 F1.8 Zuiko lens

Don't forget the Samsung EX1/TL500! :whistling:

Review post-118262-0-67022700-1294592204_thumb.

• Good image quality, particularly at lower ISO settings
  • Extremely bright F1.8-2.4 lens
  • Useful 24mm equiv. wide angle
  • High ISO performance good up to ISO 800 (and higher if processed from RAW)
  • Accessible, quick-to-use manual controls
  • Superb bright, high-contrast, articulated OLED screen
  • Generally well optimized JPEGs with good color response
  • RAW capability with fully featured RAW conversion software
  • Well implemented manual AF point selection mode
  • Reliable focus and white balance
  • Face detection / tracking AF modes (though neither terribly effective)
  • Compact, very well built
  • Good battery life

.... and not to forget the price! I bought mine online in Sweden at about 400 US$ compared to Panasonic Lumix LX5 at 530 US$ and Canon S95 at about 480 US$

Took some winter pictures a week ago at -14 C in the morning, here's a link to my gallery:

"Skälderviken in Winter"

Plahgat

I looked at http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/6560676431/invite/3D144FC378134205BBA1422959F9BE84

What was amazing and hard to believe that pure white snow photos were taken with 0 exposure compensation. That would make this camera the best autom. exposure machine because

when looking at sample photos taken by dp reviewers a surprising number of shots had to compensated to get the perfect picture.

Despite thousands of reference shots stored in a camera's brain automatic exposure is still far from perfect.

The EXRF550 by Fuji looks great too

Looks like a Sony HX7V beater. 24mm wide angle, 15x zoom, GPS and RAW capture. 16mp CMOS and full HD.

A 360 degree motion panorama mode too.

We always think we've reached the limits of technology and then someone comes along to show us how.

Edited by MJP

is the benefit of triple exposures combined to 1 image real, is it quantifiable?

The problem with all these new developments is that at least I am putting off buying a new camera.

I also wonder how on earth the consumer can still differentiate between the endlessly confusing camera names TX , EXRF550 ,DS4500............... what have you.

Are they not ultimately damaging the desire to buy?

• 1 month later...

Bought an XZ-1 today. Only had it at Paragon. So far, I'm loving it.

do you think it is as good as the PR hype ?

if you dont mind me asking...how much did you pay for it ?

Edited by wombat

where it has won me is the high end glassware and the promise of its low light capabilities.

being cautious as ever before outlaying top $, some indication as to if the XZ-1 lives up to its promise from a hands on user would be nice.

I got it for 17990 with 4g SD Card. You may probably find it else where that might be cheaper. A few days after, Camera World or Big Camera was selling it at 17900. AVCamera is also selling it, but you'll have to call to ask for the price.

As for performace, I think its an excellent camera. Good bokeh for a compact cam. Very fast and bright lens. So far, I haven't used the flash at all to take night photos of scenery and and portraits. Detail is great, but not the best. Max ISO that provides decent image is around 800-1000. I just wish the shutter speed can go higher than 1/2000. Battery life is average and the lens cap does easily come off as it does not lock. Overall, its a great cam and I have no regrets.

I got it for 17990 with 4g SD Card. You may probably find it else where that might be cheaper. A few days after, Camera World or Big Camera was selling it at 17900. AVCamera is also selling it, but you'll have to call to ask for the price.

As for performace, I think its an excellent camera. Good bokeh for a compact cam. Very fast and bright lens. So far, I haven't used the flash at all to take night photos of scenery and and portraits. Detail is great, but not the best. Max ISO that provides decent image is around 800-1000. I just wish the shutter speed can go higher than 1/2000. Battery life is average and the lens cap does easily come off as it does not lock. Overall, its a great cam and I have no regrets.

Just wanted to add that autofocusing is also good. I leave my focus assisting lamp turned off and haven't needed to turn it back on. I just bought an extra battery due to average life and a separate battery bay charger since I don't like directly charging into the camera with cables. (Can be charged via both usb port and electrical socket) Me and wires... don't want to accidently knock the camera off the table.