Auto Insurance

dancw3

I read that Thai auto insurance doesn't cover for liability or damage if you are determined to be at fault, and since the farang is almost always considered at fault, the coverage isn't worth much. Is this true? Can anyone recommend some good insurance companies that provide good coverage?

You need to make sure that you take out class 1 voluntary comprehensive motor insurance http://www.orientexp...motor-insurance , yes more expensive but its good to know that you are covered for any eventuality. Unfortunately I've had my fair share of scraps and have been fully covered without nothing extra to pay. If you choose the compulsory cover then be ready to pay out . . . . .

Regards

IW

Edited by ianwrd4

dancw3 - may we ask where you saw this information please as this applies to the CTPL and not the voluntary insurance ?

As for your statement "since the farang is almost always considered at fault" - this is a little disingenious - unless it really is the foreigners fault !

Whatever you vehicle as a Thai Visa member you can get an on-line quote HERE

dancw3 - may we ask where you saw this information please as this applies to the CTPL and not the voluntary insurance ?

As for your statement "since the farang is almost always considered at fault" - this is a little disingenious - unless it really is the foreigners fault !

I read it in "The Thai Black Book", which I really didn't like. Found it an awful book, very negative, even paranoid book which I would not recommend, but I wanted to check to see if this particular information was factual ( I suspected it was not). And of course I wanted recommendations for a good auto insurance company.

As for "farang is almost always considered at fault". I also read this in "The Thai Black Book" but also in other books and blogs. I have no personal experience with this.

• 1 month later...

I agree that "since the farang is almost always considered at fault" is quite accurate... some say that if the Farang was not on the road then the accident would not have hapend...

Hi, Y'all...

The auto insurance is due for renewal... FIRST time I bought auto insurance was connected to the second-hand dealer where I bought the car... and I think the price was WAY too high... I think it was like 24,000 Baht, for the 2002 Nissan Cifero Executive sedan I had just bought, for 420,000 Baht... But I was under time pressure and other constraints at the time, so I "went with it", but never felt right about it....

2002 Nissan Cifero Executive

Purchased a year ago for 420,000 Baht

Now 197,000 km on it

spent another 200,000 Baht getting everything fixed and running properly

Parked in covered / secured spot at condo, in Bang Mod, Bangkok

Travel to Issan and other far distances in Thailand, maybe 6 times a year.

My Thai partner also drives... (does the majority of driving, nowadays) and he's an excellent driver, although a smidge too aggressive for my comfort... 555 "Not SO CLOSE!!" being my daily mantra I share with him...

My coworker recommended "LMG Insurance".

Anyone have feedback on that, or other recommendations?

Thanks!

Pawpcorn

Hi, Y'all...

The auto insurance is due for renewal... FIRST time I bought auto insurance was connected to the second-hand dealer where I bought the car... and I think the price was WAY too high... I think it was like 24,000 Baht, for the 2002 Nissan Cifero Executive sedan I had just bought, for 420,000 Baht... But I was under time pressure and other constraints at the time, so I "went with it", but never felt right about it....

2002 Nissan Cifero Executive

Purchased a year ago for 420,000 Baht

Now 197,000 km on it

spent another 200,000 Baht getting everything fixed and running properly

Parked in covered / secured spot at condo, in Bang Mod, Bangkok

Travel to Issan and other far distances in Thailand, maybe 6 times a year.

My Thai partner also drives... (does the majority of driving, nowadays) and he's an excellent driver, although a smidge too aggressive for my comfort... 555 "Not SO CLOSE!!" being my daily mantra I share with him...

My coworker recommended "LMG Insurance".

Anyone have feedback on that, or other recommendations?

Thanks!

Pawpcorn

Must agree the premium does seem high but again, until we see the full coverage nobody can tell. Please go HERE and complete the details and we can give you an on-line quote. Would help if you emailed a copy of your present insurance policy.

LMG : this is one of the approved insurance companies Thai Visa Brokers deals with.