Thai Government School Options

pete66

I am looking at Thai government school options for my son, and my main question is whether the school has to located "near" where he has his house registration papers.

i.e. he is currently registered to a house in BKK, but would that stop me in any way looking for a school for him in a different part of Bangkok, or Nont, Chiang Mai or elsewhere? Is it related to province, as many things seem to be in Thailand?

To put the question another way, what do Thai government schools require in terms of enrollment documentation, does it vary a lot from school to school?

btw, appreciate that International schools / Thai fee schools might be better, but its not an option for the next couple of years.

Edited by pete66

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure of this so I simply hoped that someone else would hop in, no one did so I'll give it a shot.

I understand it as the child does not have to be registered in the same amphur, but children registered there will get picked first. Between provinces I simply don't know but I think the same actually. There are many couples with children living and working in Bangkok, many of them still have the tabien baan upcountry. Their kids go to school here. I find it unlikely that they have managed to move tabien baan of their kids. To get a seat in any government school with a bit better reputation could be all but impossible I would think

What documentation do they require? Copy of tabien baan, copy of birth certificate, original id card and copy of the same. I have a neighbour who's been paying for his 8 year old child all his life, mother is gone since long. The child stays with his grand mother upcountry and goes to school there. They have an old worn out copy of tabien baan and a copy of BC, that's all, and since they never married (-> the mother has sole custody), he can't get anything else either. That is enough to enroll the kid in school. For him. Technically, only the mother can sign for the child but no one cares in that case (if they did then the kid would get no education). The father is not an angel, he's a bad father by the way, very bad father. Still better than the missing mother perhaps

I don't know what you need, probably the same and in your case passport and copy of passport. Perhaps you need evidence of custody but probably not