Cell Phone Mystery Number

brahmburgers

I have True Move for my mobile phone service. Whenever I check for text messages, I always see messages from a something identified as 12rasi0@ .....does anyone know where 12rasi0@ comes from? I would go to the True Move center and ask, but it's waaaaaay across town, and the pretty girls there can't think outside their pretty little boxes.

When I open the message, it always indicates the same thing: "message can not be displayed" It's annoying, because I get the same exact message several times each day. I 'screened' the number within my phone, but of course it had no effect. I haven't found any way to 'block' such things. I also get other junk messages and annoying crap from True Move. I'd like to dump them, but I don't want to change my tel#, and they're probably no worse than the other mobile phone services available in Thailand.

Reasonable responses appreciated.

i am not sure if this is reasonable or helpful to you

but a warning to others

i have had orange/true for years

because it was the sim card i bought when i first got here

and i will never ever buy true anything again

i dont know if the other networks management or cust service is any better

but it is frightening to imagine anything worse

I have had no need to change service, but did they not make the numbers portable - you can keep your old number and change operator? or is that still on hold?

We use AIS and spam has not a problem - a few times I have added a number to the scorn list but it is rare I even get any of the messages - been with them for years. We did have a few GPRS related issues but I don't use it anymore anyway.

Number portabaility is now in operation if you want it, but there's some sort of maximum of numbers that can be switched across operators every day.

Here's another version of annoying calls. I started getting calls both from a Bangkok landline number and a mobile number a few months ago, but it rings say twice then stops. I did call back but always got a funny tone which I don't recognize.

By accident I discovered the following:

- It's calls from a person contracted by one of the offshore banks which operate in Thailand, to do follow up on payment of credit cards. (I know which bank but perhaps I'll not name them here.)

- The person on the follow up contract is paid on the basis of proving that they have called each cardholder say 5 times, or something similar, hence they call and hang up quickly.

Edited by scorecard

I had this problem awhile back with annoying messages and I use True. If you go to the shop, which is a hassle but worth it, the one in Siam can speak good english - just tell them that you do not want any SMS from them or any other advertisers and they can block it. Its possible cause I did it. I never get any message from true or ringtone spam/games/ etc. anymore.

I have a AIS prepaid card.

Sometimes i get a phone call and after answering the call i get a computer voice asking me if i accept the charges for the call.

This call i would get maybe 10 a day for 1 day and then not any more for a few weeks and then again 10 times in 1 day.

Does anybody have some experience with this.

Looks to me that somebody is trying to make some money with collect calls.

You dont need to go to the shop, all you need to do is call their customer service and tell them to stop sending you messages. it worked for me. When you call if you can not get an English speaking person then have a Thai friend call for you.

WARNING MORE RANTS:

ture/orange use to send promotional sms's in english

with an occasional winner

years ago they had buy 300 baht get 100 free

needless to say i loaded up on 3000 baht of prepaid credit

and have not seen them since

now i never get promotions in englsih!

i get zillions of annoying spam messages from weird numbers with ad names

probably like the OP

with an occasional promotion from TRUE like buy 90 baht or more get 15 % free but only to true customers, and you have to dial a diff number to check that credit amount

i asked to remove the annoying sms's and just send me true promotions but they said no, its all the spam or nothing

i used to call cust service regularly for various reasons

when there was a a problem they said they were upgrading the system for better service

only to find they made something WORSE, LITERALLY!!!!

if you dial i think 9305 you get all the calling plans but of course no details

so that takes ages to figure out

and the Englishn is barely understandable

have to listen numerous times

doesn't anyone listen and check these things?

does it still say press hash to hear this again

only to get a message the hash key you pressed does not work

doesn't anyone test their functions?

or they said check the website for promotions, yeah right, good luck with that :ermm:

yes i would like to move my number over

dont know much about it yet

are they charging to do that?

perhaps will someday

but i find when i CHANGE anything technical computer or otherwise its more headaches for a while at least

ages ago i actually caught them stealing from my credit or miss-charging

i fought with them for a long time and finally got a few hundred baht back

now most all of this stuff isn't worth the time or energy for me

(however writing this rant apparently is)

though i do check my credit often

if my phone says the call lasted 58 or 59 seconds for sure i get charged for 2 minutes

i know i am complaining but i have been so pissed off with them i want to RANT

i really could go on and on

it is a rinky dink operation and yes i should move

maybe over to hutch :blink:

apologies

ps thanks for all the other reasonable posts besides mine here ;)

i know true is close to the bottom of the barrel in users

but still i think they have millions of users nonetheless

i wonder how many are native speakers

more rants

sms not sent but 3 baht charge anyway

sms sent charged but never received

Edited by deejah

I had this problem awhile back with annoying messages and I use True. If you go to the shop, which is a hassle but worth it, the one in Siam can speak good english - just tell them that you do not want any SMS from them or any other advertisers and they can block it. Its possible cause I did it. I never get any message from true or ringtone spam/games/ etc. anymore.

You can just call them and block all advertising to your number.... easy..

What is True's customer service #? thanks

update, besides the six or so non-messages from 12rasi0@, I get about 3 pure spam per day, in Thai. I get tired having to delete all that crap, and annoyed of the phone beeps which lead to nothing - 9 to 12 times per day.

What a rinky dink outfit. If anyone working with TRUE gets wind of this, here's my message to you: QUIT DOING SUCH A CRAPPY BUSINESS!

1331 i think

3 baht per call

best o luck

you gonna need it ;)

maybe not

actually it has been so loooooong i am confused

that might be the number for directory assistance

fyi DA in Thailand is free and you can request English

(so yes there is a Santa Claus)

well all of this WAS true

maybe someone can chime in

I went all the way to the opposite side of town - to the True office. Nice lady there seemed to know what I wanted before I finished my first sentence to her. She smiled and said, 'you no want spam?"

"yes" I replied, without a speech.

I waited patiently, watching the large screen TV that's always showing movies in their office, yet always has the sound turned off (don't know the significance of that).

18 minutes later, she gracefully gives me back my phone. All smiles. I get home and (surprise!) the same snotty problem is afflicting my phone. Indeed, there seem to be more spam than earlier. No claw marks on the walls yet, but it could come to that b4 2 long.

Well - either it's True, then you can contact customer service 1331 and tell them you don't want any text messages or promotions to your phone. Worked for me. It was worse on AIS - on AIS I had to call them a few times, they always seemed to sign me up for promotions again at some point.

Or you filled in your number somewhere in the supermarket where you tried to win something or other, and your number has been resold a few times between advertisers. Then it's harder to stop, but certainly not True's problem.

If you always get spam from a certain number I think True should be able to block that, but not sure.

You could then either change your number - getting a new one from True is easy enough - or install a call blocker. Example iBlacklist on the iPhone can block all messages from unknown numbers. It just deletes them, no notification, with the option to keep them inside iBlacklist so you can later check it's really all spam.

As for the rants above, I didn't bother reading them - I am happy with True, best deal around at 599 unlimited internet, 300 minutes and 300 texts for my iPhone, plus 3G service in many places which is pretty fast. And internet tethering too. True move rules.

Edited by nikster

Well - either it's True, then you can contact customer service 1331 and tell them you don't want any text messages or promotions to your phone. Worked for me. It was worse on AIS - on AIS I had to call them a few times, they always seemed to sign me up for promotions again at some point.

Or you filled in your number somewhere in the supermarket where you tried to win something or other, and your number has been resold a few times between advertisers. Then it's harder to stop, but certainly not True's problem.

If you always get spam from a certain number I think True should be able to block that, but not sure.

You could then either change your number - getting a new one from True is easy enough - or install a call blocker. Example iBlacklist on the iPhone can block all messages from unknown numbers. It just deletes them, no notification, with the option to keep them inside iBlacklist so you can later check it's really all spam.

As for the rants above, I didn't bother reading them - I am happy with True, best deal around at 599 unlimited internet, 300 minutes and 300 texts for my iPhone, plus 3G service in many places which is pretty fast. And internet tethering too. True move rules.

just shows to go ya :lol:

there must be some reason they are still in business :blink:

not to mention there was some reason they changed their name :o

chook dee

Edited by deejah

Or you filled in your number somewhere in the supermarket where you tried to win something or other...

True move rules.

I've never filled in my Tel# anywhere. It's a new #, so there are probably spam and promotions auto built in to the sim card. When I got the new sim, I had to spend 30 minutes deleting dozens of silly dross #'s they auto put in there. I also have to do that on about a dozen new dross #'s each month - they somehow slip in to my phone directory - each time I enter a top-up card #.

True Move rules ....... rules what? Rules the crass commercial mobile garbage phone dump, perhaps. If ever a non-crappy phone service crops up in Thailand, I'll get a new number - but getting a new # is a hassle for me and everyone who needs to be notified of it.