New Fish And Chip Place At Meechok Plaza

neilrob

drtreelove.

re ... shepard's pie, ground beef and mashed potatoes!

if kellys dont ? ... the shepards pie at the u n irish bar is a big dish and quite good

try it ; ) ... dave2

Shepard's pie might be made of ground beef ;) but Shepherd's pie is made of minced lamb :o:D .

Ps. Cottage pie is also made of minced beef.

Edited by alfieconn

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just been past Kelly's and the refurb is coming along nicely, the bar is now at the back near the kitchen and its made the place look a lot bigger, its also going to have a glass front now so its enclosed and airconned, Rob was stressing though as its almost 10am and the work men were supposed to bet there at 9am. He has said that it will be open tomorrow with out a doubt.

Edited by thaimiller

Just been past Kelly's and the refurb is coming along nicely, the bar is now at the back near the kitchen and its made the place look a lot bigger, its also going to have a glass front now so its enclosed and airconned, Rob was stressing though as its almost 10am and the work men were supposed to bet there at 9am. He has said that it will be open tomorrow with out a doubt.

Great to hear that the modifications are coming along. He enthusiastically shared with me a week or two ago his plans so I'll be there tomorrow in support and celebration.

Poor soul - huge job. I guess for the aircon they were doing drilling upstairs yesterday. It was loud in a pet shop structure four or five units away!

It is going to take more tables to pay for that electricity bill after February!

I loved Pratie's! Well, I loved their burger. It was actually one of the best burgers I've eaten in my life (even back in the motherland!) So, I don't care much about fish & chips, but all I wanna know is, does Kelly's still have the BURGER?

Oh, and the waitress was always really sweet and friendly too. And the hot mocha was delicious. (I'm from Seattle, I love me some good coffee.)

(And why on earth do people have so much trouble spelling "Pratie's"? PRATIE'S. Honestly, I can't remember if there was an apostrophe in there or not, but that's the correct spelling.)

(Hmm, I might be overusing the parentheses a bit much...)

So, does Kelly's still have the Pratie's burger?

drtreelove.

re ... shepard's pie, ground beef and mashed potatoes!

if kellys dont ? ... the shepards pie at the u n irish bar is a big dish and quite good

try it ; ) ... dave2

Shepard's pie might be made of ground beef ;) but Shepherd's pie is made of minced lamb :o:D .

Ps. Cottage pie is also made of minced beef.

Thanks for the clarification, That's even better.

Just went in for a try. Thought I might have a burger. Nobody waiting for food. Place about half full. Five people stuffing around and nobody took my order in spite of my Marcel Marceaux impressions; just nice smiles. After 20 minutes and another later arrival being served, I left. They lose.

So did you. The food is quite good.

However good the food is , it's the owner who loses if he can't get served. I've heard several comments about the staff comparing the service with Charlie's old staff

Remember where we are? Thailand. Having an expectation of expediency as though one is being served in a western country is naive. In the LOS, sometimes the patron has to show the initiative. As I said, in this case, the food is worth it.

I know this is Thailand. I am comparing Charlie's Thai staff with the present set up run by rob. Charlie had a better relationship and understanding with his staff it seems. You eat there regularly, so you must see the difference.

However good the food is , it's the owner who loses if he can't get served. I've heard several comments about the staff comparing the service with Charlie's old staff

Remember where we are? Thailand. Having an expectation of expediency as though one is being served in a western country is naive. In the LOS, sometimes the patron has to show the initiative. As I said, in this case, the food is worth it.

I know this is Thailand. I am comparing Charlie's Thai staff with the present set up run by rob. Charlie had a better relationship and understanding with his staff it seems. You eat there regularly, so you must see the difference.

Charlie and his wife were really special people, but they had their occasional problems with staff. The new people are just that - new, and therefore certainly entitled to being cut a little slack. I have never experienced being ignored when it was Praties as well as since it became Kelly's.

The only thing that really bothers me is when the server stands over my shoulder waiting for me to look through the 100+ page menu and pick something

I try and just ignore it but I do feel rushed and feel like I am wasting his/ her time - but in many cases the restaurant employed Tolstoy to write their menu

Edited by PlanetX

The only thing that really bothers me is when the server stands over my shoulder waiting for me to look through the 100+ page menu and pick something

I try and just ignore it but I do feel rushed and feel like I am wasting his/ her time - but in many cases the restaurant employed Tolstoy to write their menu

Its exactly run the same as before .You get 3 small pieces of tasty fish and chips .Still the same price B130 which is good value i think .I dont care if the new owner is nice or now as i just go there to eat .

Its exactly run the same as before .You get 3 small pieces of tasty fish and chips .Still the same price B130 which is good value i think .I dont care if the new owner is nice or now as i just go there to eat .

You forgot that you get Mushy Peas now with it also. You never got that with Charlie when it was Pratties so even better value :D:licklips:

Had fish and chips at Kellys last week and have to say he makes the best fish and chips i have ever tasted in Chiang Mai and his mushy peas are to die for.

I live on the south side of the city, but just ventured out for an early lunch at Kelly's. I also thought the fish and chips was excellent - served with delicious mush peas; all for 130 Baht. Lovely, I will certainly be going back! :D

If one orders just the fish, you receive 4 pieces for a mere 100 baht. A great deal for a delicious meal.

I have eaten at this place before when it was under the old name "chilli something I think it was" and was not impressed at all, but the food in the photo looks good, may have to give it another try next time im at that side of town.

Lunch at Bistro 1 at Rimping/Airport yesterday.

That looks FAR too neat and clinical. Not messy enough. It looks professional alright, but everything in its own pretty little dish..? That to me does not 'Fish & Chips' say. The harmony to it all is just gone. 'Fish & Chips'. "FISH & CHIPS". Even the name sounds like they should be together, intimately.

The picture above looks like a court-brokered living arrangement. Or a stock-photo you might use in a Powerpoint presentation or business plan brochure. All components neatly in their own little designated area.

Instead, I want it to look as if it just naturally materialized in front of me, a sudden random manifestation of food.

Like this, say:

halibut-fish-and-chips.jpg

Note how the ketchup hugs the little dish, messily. How the chunks of fish are bouldering all over the chips. The lemon wedge that looks like it doesn't want anything to do with the rest of the party, wasting it's Vitamine-C-ishness on the neighbouring orgy of proteine, carbs and fat. That, in summary, is a man's meal.

And there is Beer. Dark Beer. Not the Diet Coke Sceadenga had. ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

That looks FAR too neat and clinical. Not messy enough. It looks professional alright, but everything in its own pretty little dish..? That to me does not 'Fish & Chips' say. The harmony to it all is just gone. 'Fish & Chips'. "FISH & CHIPS". Even the name sounds like they should be together, intimately.

The picture above looks like a court-brokered living arrangement. Or a stock-photo you might use in a Powerpoint presentation or business plan brochure. All components neatly in their own little designated area.

Instead, I want it to look as if it just naturally materialized in front of me, a sudden random manifestation of food.

Like this, say:

Note how the ketchup hugs the little dish, messily. How the chunks of fish are bouldering all over the chips. The lemon wedge that looks like it doesn't want anything to do with the rest of the party, wasting it's Vitamine-C-ishness on the neighbouring orgy of proteine, carbs and fat. That, in summary, is a man's meal.

^^^

This! Of course the emotive descriptions make it even better :)

I ate at Kellys the other day and noticed that Bob is still using Praties menus.

Surely it would not be so difficult to run off some new menus with Kellys on them instead of the former. :whistling:

Fish and chips good with option of baked beans, mushy peas or salad. A bigger plate wouldn't go amiss as the portions are generous.

Cheers B)

Like this, say:

Where did you find this work of art? I'm definitely interested! :thumbsup::partytime2:

Edited by venturalaw

I ate at Kellys the other day and noticed that Bob is still using Praties menus.

Surely it would not be so difficult to run off some new menus with Kellys on them instead of the former. :whistling:

Fish and chips good with option of baked beans, mushy peas or salad. A bigger plate wouldn't go amiss as the portions are generous.

Cheers B)

If I were a new owner and had jumped in, revamped the building in two days! (adding air-con capacity and tables), and had begun to refine the menu (being an experienced restaurateur), I would still have the task of determining - from my point of view - costs of production for each item, and possibilities of new or revised dishes. "Run off" is not the issue, dozens of decisions must be made, integrating the worthwhile old with decisions about new, if any.

Moreover, the present menu gives a sense of what kind of dish is popular with regulars, an accurate poll. This is not a chain taking over with everything fixed in place ahead of time, like McDuck's down the street. Guess that's upstream now.

sadie mc beagle

re ... So, does Kelly's still have the Pratie's burger?

theres a pic of a burger on kellys sign above the door and it lists burgers so im guessing yes

but there was no apostrophe in the praties sign : (

i tried the lovely fish chips and big portion of mushy peas at kellys the other day but i strugled to eat it all

ill be back ... dave2

ps ... i did like it when the tiny little waitress bought me a jug of cold water and a glass almost before i sat down .... great service

Cheers B)

Moreover, the present menu gives a sense of what kind of dish is popular with regulars, an accurate poll. This is not a chain taking over with everything fixed in place ahead of time, like McDuck's down the street. Guess that's upstream now.

Edited by Thaihog

Like this, say:

Were you a builder at one point? Extraordinary food for ordinary people :)

I loved Pratie's! Well, I loved their burger. It was actually one of the best burgers I've eaten in my life (even back in the motherland!) ...

So, does Kelly's still have the Pratie's burger?

Never made it to Pratie's, but I did have a Kelly's burger last week. Gotta say it wasn't particularly inspiring.

Decent size, but not a overly meaty taste. A bit disappointing, as were the fries. Not thick UK style, and not skinny McD style, they were a little mealy and boring. Tasted frozen (but never can tell!).

Really enjoyed the fish last time (mushy peas too), and the service is charming and efficient.

I might go there today!

I always love free water...

link to Map of Where I Eat