New Fish And Chip Place At Meechok Plaza

neilrob

A native freshwater fish in the tropical areas of northern Australia. Generally cooked whole or grilled.

You say "cooked whole OR grilled"

So, if you grill it you don't cook it whole and if you cook it whole, you cook it how?

Most fish and chip shops will fillet the fish and and you purchase a fillet that is cooked on a hot griller plate. When you cook it whole you can bake it, BBQ or steam it but my personal favorite is cooked wrapped in banana leaves with limes capers and a variety fruits and is cooked in the earth (Hangi) along with vegetables pork and anything else you desire. A few beers on the side and you have a meal fit for kings.

Barramundi smoked in paperbark seasoned with Australian Lemon Myrtle and Alpine Pepper.

Edited by softgeorge

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried the Barramundi back in the UK and I have to admit that it is a very nice bit of fish. Not the good old Cod but a very close substitute. There were talks of trying to get chippys to replace Cod with Barramundi as it would be a cheaper option due to Cod being almost extinct these days, hence the extremely high prices.

Never tried it battered with chips & mushy peas though so that would be interesting

Never tried it battered with chips & mushy peas though so that would be interesting

And south of Watford you never will. biggrin.gif

You Southerners don't know what ya missing... :D :D

Mushy peas are OK I suppose, but never quite got the hang of eating it with my hands. Now, years later and having spent time in India, I would probably look at it differently....................nah, no I wouldn't, green sloppy stuff just doesn't go. bah.gifbiggrin.gif

I've tried the Barramundi back in the UK and I have to admit that it is a very nice bit of fish. Not the good old Cod but a very close substitute. There were talks of trying to get chippys to replace Cod with Barramundi as it would be a cheaper option due to Cod being almost extinct these days, hence the extremely high prices.

Geez cod must be dear as barramundi is not a cheap bit of fish, hard to get in the wild these days mostly farmed type

And south of Watford you never will. biggrin.gif

Is Chiang Mai south of Watford?

If so, Kellys have mushy peas!biggrin.gif

(nicely brought back on topic if I do say so myself)

Slippery little move cloughie, drop of the left shoulder and you snuck back on topic. biggrin.gif

Kelly's have 'Mashed Peas' and very nice they are too.

My mate had/has a Chippy in BKK and it took him years to find the correct type of Pea for making Mushy Peas.

john

It's an Art form Fish,Chips & Mushy peas, best done by a Northerner.

An Art Form!!

Beautiful battered cod or haddock, served with thick cut chips, maybe a pickled cucumber or crunchy onion, wrapped in the Yorkshire Post.................with a bunch of green slop on the side. sick.gif

You have to give those northerners credit, they sure know how to make a pigs ear out of nowt......................"wheres me cap?" biggrin.gif

Kelly's have 'Mashed Peas' and very nice they are too.

My mate had/has a Chippy in BKK and it took him years to find the correct type of Pea for making Mushy Peas.

john

It's an Art form Fish,Chips & Mushy peas, best done by a Northerner.

An Art Form!!

Beautiful battered cod or haddock, served with thick cut chips, maybe a pickled cucumber or crunchy onion, wrapped in the Yorkshire Post.................with a bunch of green slop on the side. sick.gif

You have to give those northerners credit, they sure know how to make a pigs ear out of nowt......................"wheres me cap?" biggrin.gif

Pigs Ear? Did I hear you right? PIGS EAR?

Pickled onion or crunchy onion on fish chips & mushy peas? NO NO NO !!!!

What next? Jellied eels?

Wrong, wrong & thrice wrong!

laugh.gif

]Pigs Ear? Did I hear you right? PIGS EAR?

What next? Jellied eels?

laugh.gif

OK I give in, you found my Achilles heel by mentioning jellied eels bah.gif

.........but they might go well with mushy peas. biggrin.gif

Is that three times wrong or an abbrev for Thai Rice? huh.gif

Edited by uptheos

]Pigs Ear? Did I hear you right? PIGS EAR?

What next? Jellied eels?

laugh.gif

OK I give in, you found my Achilles heel by mentioning jellied eels bah.gif

.........but they might go well with mushy peas. biggrin.gif

Is that three times wrong or an abbrev for Thai Rice? huh.gif

LOL cheesy.gif