New Fish And Chip Place At Meechok Plaza

neilrob

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That market also runs on Tuesday evenings, and I certainly wouldn't blame the owner for closing (on Monday) as it's a right maelstrom with the usual cheap crap you'll find anywhere... brings the whole place down somewhat.

The only time I ever go to Meechok is early morning for the lack of parking and that blasted cluster <deleted> of a market. For that reason I use Rimping on the river.

That market also runs on Tuesday evenings, and I certainly wouldn't blame the owner for closing (on Monday) as it's a right maelstrom with the usual cheap crap you'll find anywhere... brings the whole place down somewhat.

The only time I ever go to Meechok is early morning for the lack of parking and that blasted cluster <deleted> of a market. For that reason I use Rimping on the river.

Easier still to use the one near the airport .....

I save money, and use the closed-branch, next to the Novotel, my ma didn't raise any stupid kids ! B)

I save money, and use the closed-branch, next to the Novotel, my ma didn't raise any stupid kids ! B)

if the guy is Scottish, then surely I can get a battered Mars bar or a battered Bounty. Just playing with you.It does happen, but it is a taste that suits a few. Now chip shop gravy is something I would pay for. I am a tight f### and very rarely pay for something that is western, but proper chip shop gravy is worth it's weight in gold. Not only do the shandy drinking puffs think that gravy is reserved for a Sunday Roast, but they think gravy is Bisto and they think wearing pink is cool.

Northern Boys Love Gravy.

Back to the Topic, if the guy is Scottish, then surely I can get a battered Mars bar or a battered Bounty. Just playing with you.It does happen, but it is a taste that suits a few. Now chip shop gravy is something I would pay for. I am a tight f### and very rarely pay for something that is western, but proper chip shop gravy is worth it's weight in gold. Not only do the shandy drinking puffs think that gravy is reserved for a Sunday Roast, but they think gravy is Bisto and they think wearing pink is cool.

Northern Boys Love Gravy.

Congratulations: I don't think even Millwall_fan has managed to get quite so many politically incorrect remarks into one short statement!!

That stupid cluster <deleted> of a market has the best fried Chicken in Chiang Mai. Well worth putting up with a bit of inconvenient parking. Dont ask for which stall, it is one of several such like stalls. But when you find it you will know.

That stupid cluster <deleted> of a market has the best fried Chicken in Chiang Mai. Well worth putting up with a bit of inconvenient parking. Dont ask for which stall, it is one of several such like stalls. But when you find it you will know.

The bad traffic is only 2 days a week in the late afternoon through evening. I'm there almost every day for something but have yet to discover the "best fried chicken in Chiang Mai." Pray tell which stall? I haven't frequented many and have only ordered baked chicken in one.

I like Kelly's too and go there quite regularly.

Both the current and former owner (Pratties) are very nice and I recommend people to give it a try at least once (not on a Monday). Like a previous poster said, if you don't like it, then don't go back. One thing I have noticed however is that the coffee is nowhere near as nice as when it was Pratties. Perhaps they have changed supplier/coffee.

I like Kelly's too and go there quite regularly.

Both the current and former owner (Pratties) are very nice and I recommend people to give it a try at least once (not on a Monday). Like a previous poster said, if you don't like it, then don't go back. One thing I have noticed however is that the coffee is nowhere near as nice as when it was Pratties. Perhaps they have changed supplier/coffee.

The coffee that was being offered at Pratties was great. It had an Italian name which I forget. It was represented to them as being imported from Italy and was very expensive. Charlie discovered that it was really Vietnamese coffee beans sold to him at a highly inflated price. Shortly before he sold the shop he discontinued it and removed the sign from outside the shop.

if the guy is Scottish, then surely I can get a battered Mars bar or a battered Bounty.

Coincidentally, my kids spotted a 2-bar 'Bounty' on the shelves in Rimping, just a few days ago, and such a bargain at only about 59-Baht, so anyone truly missing this culinary-delight might try taking one into Kelly's & asking him to 'cook' it ? :)

... this dish ought surely to come with a 'health-warning' !

Just went in for a try. Thought I might have a burger. Nobody waiting for food. Place about half full. Five people stuffing around and nobody took my order in spite of my Marcel Marceaux impressions; just nice smiles. After 20 minutes and another later arrival being served, I left. They lose.

Just went in for a try. Thought I might have a burger. Nobody waiting for food. Place about half full. Five people stuffing around and nobody took my order in spite of my Marcel Marceaux impressions; just nice smiles. After 20 minutes and another later arrival being served, I left. They lose.

So did you. The food is quite good.

Maechok plaza used to be my favorite place to shop....we would hit the open market besides it for veges and local stuff for wife, then exit on the ring road and enter the Rimping complex for my falang fix. Parking was not so good then, but now it is even worse with all the construction and more shops mean more cars. one of my favorite eateries was the Vietnam restaurant and wife's favorite was a Chineese noodle shop there.

Dispite the lack of shade and difficulty in finding a parking place, we shopped there for convenience and selection.

I did return there recently to taste test the new McD....just to confirm that it was the same same same and they wern't open yet and if they were, there were no parking places and a lot of cars cruising for space, so I gave up.

Then the exciting part......exiting onto the ring road. That has got to be one of the scariest exits in CM. With a blind curve and traffic flying at 100+kph and you have to jump over 3 lanes to avoid the intersection is absolutely breath taking.

Oh, the topic was fish and chips......I'll give it a try with all the positive reports here. Any idea what kind of fish they use??

I have been v. frustrated too by construction and confusion in the area. But the one-way traffic system is being enforced, parking now is angled, so folks backing out might not block both lanes which go westward, and people are becoming accustomed to just parking out back. In short, I've found the flow easier this week, so long as I make the left onto the ring road in the very left lane and go from there - M & T afternoons and evenings, however, that doesn't work, and things were slower - for one thing, the immediate left turn left of the McDuck's entrance is closed.

So I may not park at the door of Kelly's - rarely could at Praties, either - but it may be the case that things are improving there, as we stubborn/stupid drivers learn, so that they are no worse than Rimping/River. Hurts me to think so, because initially I'd thought that they'd overbuilt for parking.

In sum, easier circulating this week there, and I know that the fish and chips sweepstakes are popular in our town, so I say, gofer it. Or lasagna or

However good the food is , it's the owner who loses if he can't get served. I've heard several comments about the staff comparing the service with Charlie's old staff

However good the food is , it's the owner who loses if he can't get served. I've heard several comments about the staff comparing the service with Charlie's old staff

It really doesnt take that much to kindly approach the waitress and ask for a menu or to take your order

It really doesnt take that much to kindly approach the waitress and ask for a menu or to take your order

Totally agree, I use the place at least twice a week and I never have a problem getting served when Im ready, I actually think its a good Idea that the girls leave you alone until your ready to order, as it annoys the hell out of me when you go to a cafe or restaurant and they give you a menu and stand at the end of the table waiting to take your order. But each to their own I suppose.

Edited by thaimiller

Maybe they didn't see you, the place must be pushing on 40 sqm! It's vast :)

Remember where we are? Thailand. Having an expectation of expediency as though one is being served in a western country is naive. In the LOS, sometimes the patron has to show the initiative. As I said, in this case, the food is worth it.

I had a chat with Rob one day who is a very nice guy from Scotland. His shop won Best Fish and Chips - South West, 2 years in a row in England. His shop was in Cornwell. His awards are hanging on the wall. His fish tastes really good; not at all fishy and the batter is the best I've had with not a drop of grease or oil anywhere. His Christmas pudding was the best I've ever had also.

Fish that doesn't taste like fish, and mushy peas? Ok I guess that's a British thing. Now an American boy might go for some shepard's pie, ground beef and mashed potatoes! I've been missing mine since Farang Cafe closed; any chance Kelly's is serving some up?

Totally agree, I use the place at least twice a week and I never have a problem getting served when Im ready, I actually think its a good Idea that the girls leave you alone until your ready to order, as it annoys the hell out of me when you go to a cafe or restaurant and they give you a menu and stand at the end of the table waiting to take your order. But each to their own I suppose.

Absolutely! I've never NOT been served in a restaurant, but this is Thailand, sometimes you have to gently approach a member of staff and ask them to serve you. This is a Fish 'n Chip restaurant, not Maxim's!!

Certainly agree that this is Thailand and a little gentle pro-active movements can advance one's cause - in Thai owned restaurants. But I'd rather not if I'm eating western, no matter how good the chow.

If the owner is taking my western-type money, owner can train staff.

Situation speaks to farang management in Thailand. I can name a dozen places where owners have succeeded in training staff to be alert to all tables and appropriately attentive, most even when the owner is absent. Even in corporation outfits such as Black Canyon you are not left to fester dark thoughts on a bad day.

And previous management was sparkling, always on-site, of course, welcoming, and instructed staff.

BUT: Have to remember that Kelly's is new - from the point of view of the owner, staff included - in getting started. That "Fan" chap is always mentioning the advantages of good customers having a gentle word. Meanwhile compare the dishes - a laborious chore, but somebody's gotta doit.

Edited by CMX

Getting served there is easy. Often, to order or get the bill I just stand up, poke my head down toward the kitchen and call out a friendly "nong krap" and it works immediately, every time. A beautifully smiling waitress appears. I prefer it that way to having the help hovering over me and staring from the counter two meters away while I'm eating. Nice people there and good food.

One thing though. When I order breakfast I order it with bacon but it comes with what this Yank calls ham. But it tastes so good I might never get around to ordering ham.

Tried finding this place but had no hope. Do they have a sign in English or is it just catered for thai's? Walked all around the place could not see a fish & chip shop.

The easiest directions I can give is, find the coffee bus (big old school bus parked outside) and walk away from it towards Mc Donalds, keeping on the same side as the coffee bus. Kellys is about 100 yards next to the vietnam restuarant and before AA insurance. Green writing on the sign. But note it was closed yesterday (and every Monday) and its closed today due to refurbishments. Its not like a traditional Fish and Chip shop, its more like a resturant that sells amonst other things Fish and Chips

Edited by thaimiller

Tried finding this place but had no hope. Do they have a sign in English or is it just catered for thai's? Walked all around the place could not see a fish & chip shop.

The easiest directions I can give is, find the coffee bus (big old school bus parked outside) and walk away from it towards Mc Donalds, keeping on the same side as the coffee bus. Kellys is about 100 yards next to the vietnam restuarant and before AA insurance. Green writing on the sign. But note it was closed yesterday (and every Monday) and its closed today due to refurbishments. Its not like a traditional Fish and Chip shop, its more like a resturant that sells amonst other things Fish and Chips

And yes, the sign is in English. The front of the restaurant is facing in the direction of Ring Road 1 with Ring Ping Market in between Ring Road 1 and Kelly's. It's approximately half-way down the east facing side of Ring Ping Market. The west side of Ring Ping Market faces Ring Road 1.