Close-Ish Call.

appropriate

Cruising back on the lovely 347 from Ayutthaya yesterday I was doing bout 130 in the outside lane. Nothing too hectic, and with a car in front. I was just coming up to pass a truck doing around 120 in the inside lane, quite a nice, brand new model, not some old thing falling to pieces that you'd be half afraid to drive behind, when unseen to me a large bag of cement fell off a pick-up infront of it and landed sideways right bang in the middle of the lane. The bottom of the truck obviously just ripped a little hole in the top of it as a little plume of it came up as it went over it. And this was the first I saw of it, as it came out from under the back bumper of the truck, about 1/2 a second before I passed it in the outside lane.

I can't imagine hitting, or even trying to avoid a large solid bag of cement at 120kph would be much fun. Seriously doubt it would have just gone over it.

A sobering confirmation to always stay at least 2 seconds behind the vehicle in front. No matter how little danger there seems to be. Even with 2 seconds, if was in my lane, I don't think at 130 I would have been able to avoid it, at least not in a pleasant manner. Would have been the worst 2 seconds of my life, quickly followed by some even worse ones.

Stay safe and wide-eyed chaps.

Edited by appropriate

Sobering indeed. Anywhere, anytime.ohmy.gif

If you value life and limb, 130 kph is just too fast, any time, any where in Thailand. Besides bags of cement, there are horrendous pot holes, debris, crazy drivers and God know what else on the roads everywhere, just waiting to bring you down -- hard. Take it slow and arrive a few minutes later, alive and in one piece -- this is Thailand......

If you value life and limb, 130 kph is just too fast, any time, any where in Thailand. Besides bags of cement, there are horrendous pot holes, debris, crazy drivers and God know what else on the roads everywhere, just waiting to bring you down -- hard. Take it slow and arrive a few minutes later, alive and in one piece -- this is Thailand......

Absolute nonsense written from someone who obviously needs to get out more. Thailand is blessed with innumerable PERFECT high speed roads-

Ride It Like You Stole It! :lol:

Tony

ps. To the OP, tailgating is never a good idea in ANY country. When riding a motorcycle on public roads it is generally best to stay at the edge of your lane as this increases your field of view and allows you to see potential obstacles sooner than if they are blocked from view by a vehicle in front of you. Ride On! T

Please tell me you are not one of those drivers who drives at 80 in the middle lane of the express-wayjap.gif.

Key to a long and healthy life on two wheels is, IMO, to ride well within your limits, to always ride defensively, and to exercise what's known as "hyper-vigilance" which is a fancy way of saying you need to focus 100% of your attention to the task at hand 100% of the time.

Riding a bike is not like driving a car where you are surrounded by a cage and have a much larger margin of safety.

Ride On!

Tony

Absolute nonsense written from someone who obviously needs to get out more. Thailand is blessed with innumerable PERFECT high speed roads-

Completly agree .... although on any kind of road in Thailand you need to be a bit MORE careful as on road in Europe (although roads in Belgium can be "fun" too).

That said ... I was once passing a big new touring-car-bus and while I am passing his huge mirror just falls of. If that would have happend about a few sec's earlier that mirror would have been on my path. I was a bit shocked and surprised ... the driver did not even bother to stop.

But even with my car there are some trucks that I will be passing as quick as possible .... the loads on some trucks are truly amazing.

Chang Noi (one more week).

Ride It Like You Stole It! :lol:

Tony

ps. To the OP, tailgating is never a good idea in ANY country. When riding a motorcycle on public roads it is generally best to stay at the edge of your lane as this increases your field of view and allows you to see potential obstacles sooner than if they are blocked from view by a vehicle in front of you. Ride On! T

What tosh.. Plenty of open clear roads with a decent field of view.

The key here is the rider was allowing himself to be too close to a vehicle and not then seeing far enough down the road, not a good thing but I hazard we have all probably done it.. I myself have been behind a pickup to find the pickup go straight over a big lump of something in the road and had to take emergency action to avoid the lump they could clear. My own fault totally so lesson learnt.

Guess we all have roads we can wind em up on, there's a stretch going to Chachengsao (?)where the road crosses the 36 Rayong/Chonburi where I can see well, has no U-turns or T junctions and is fairly new, got the Versys comfortably up to indicated 175 an hour ago...however a few weeks ago a blue pallet flew from the back of a pickup a few hundred meters ahead of me (on same stretch) and landed square in the middle of the road, no biggy, could see it happen, but if I had been close behind, could have been sticky. Nice to open them up when you can; I do notice Thai bikers are expert swervers of all things, seem to have better reaction times than me, anyway!

Stay safe,

PP

I do notice Thai bikers are expert swervers of all things, seem to have better reaction times than me, anyway!

LOLZ!

Sure, because they've grown up having to dodge all sorts of stuff in the road!

For those of us non-natives it's a whole new skill set that we must learn if we wish to survive on Thailand's always interesting roads! :lol:

Keep her shiny side up and rubber side down!

Tony

ps. To the OP, tailgating is never a good idea in ANY country.

Seems to be some misunderstanding.

No tailgating was involved. Was simply overtaking a truck in the outside lane at the cruising speed that we were all cruising at.

Doing 130 without a clear field of view on a Thai highway is nutz.

Not exactly, I don't think I'd call overtaking a truck nutz tbh. Moving into the inside lane to follow a truck for the duration of your journey at bellow cruising speed or simply stay in your lane and overtake it....

Of course if I had decided to move into the inside lane and follow a truck at less than my cruising speed I would have ended up having to dodge the bag of cement.

Reminded me of my dad about 20 yrs ago, was driving his car behind a truck when an industrial steel beam fell off the back, it bounced in front of my dad's car, and landed (and crushed) the roof on the back seat... talk about blessed, 2 feet forward and it would have crushed him... actually if he slammed on the brakes harder it could well have killed him... blessed.

You see all sorts of stuff falling off trucks here in Thailand, which is why it's always a good idea to keep a safe distance.

Was on the tollway to Chonburi last year when a cinder block fell off a truck, bounced and went through the windshield of the car that was tailgating the truck.

I believe the driver was killed...

Moral of the story- keep a safe distance and always expect the unexpected.

T

Please tell me you are not one of those drivers who drives at 80 in the middle lane of the express-wayjap.gif.

I keep it around 80 kph, and drive as far on the left side as I safely can. I never drive on expressways on a motorcycle (no fun in that), mostly 2 lane country roads. It is not just the roads, some of which are no doubt good for high speed driving in cars. Other than interstate, roads in Thailand go unrepaired for months (or longer), and the heat and torrential rains are very hard on pavement and can make huge and very deep pot holes. And, in addition, things being carried in trucks are not properly strapped down (like bags of cement), and can and do fall off creating serious obstacles in the road. People pass when they shouldn't and force bikes over or off the road -- it has happened to me on numerous occasions. The key to safe driving in Thailand is to keep the speed down so that you have more time to react to all of the mess thrown at you while driving on the roads in Thailand. A motorcycle is a fun way to get around, even at 80 kph. And I do need to get out more, but I also want to return (alive and in one piece) when the ride is over -- I feel "no need to bleed". There is no requirement to be stupid just because you drive a motorcycle.

I keep it around 80 kph, and drive as far on the left side as I safely can. I never drive on expressways on a motorcycle (no fun in that), mostly 2 lane country roads. It is not just the roads, some of which are no doubt good for high speed driving in cars. Other than interstate, roads in Thailand go unrepaired for months (or longer), and the heat and torrential rains are very hard on pavement and can make huge and very deep pot holes. And, in addition, things being carried in trucks are not properly strapped down (like bags of cement), and can and do fall off creating serious obstacles in the road. People pass when they shouldn't and force bikes over or off the road -- it has happened to me on numerous occasions. The key to safe driving in Thailand is to keep the speed down so that you have more time to react to all of the mess thrown at you while driving on the roads in Thailand. A motorcycle is a fun way to get around, even at 80 kph. And I do need to get out more, but I also want to return (alive and in one piece) when the ride is over -- I feel "no need to bleed". There is no requirement to be stupid just because you drive a motorcycle.

80kph...

Lemme guess, you are a retiree and ride a Phantom or a Boss.

Thailand has interstates?!

Who knew?! :rolleyes:

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Riding anywhere in the world I have one very important rule: I have to be able to see what the vehicle that's 2 ahead of the one in front of me does. The further you can see ahead, the better. Don't target fixate; make good use of your peripheral vision. Riding behind something that I cannot see past makes me very nervous.

As for the slow/fast choice, just use your head. Assume everybody else drives like an idiot and you'll be fine.

I find the key to safe motorcycling in busier roads is to match the general speed of the traffic.

true.

It's like zebra crossings, international law states you have to stop, stopping here would be far more dangerous that just going through them as no one expects anybody to stop or even slowdown. Stopping would likely cause an accident.

Good reminders and advice above here. OP, of course, was hinting at it from the outset. Don't see why anyone's personal advice, come from their experience with their bikes should not be correct all the time for the one who has learned from experience. For that rider and those of similar experience and bikes, the notions are far more valid than those of an expert.

For the life of me, I cannot see why personal remarks should be introduced in what essentially is a thread about safety. If I think that speeding, as defined by Thai laws or the wisdom of the West in laws, is risky and wrong, as a danger to the public, that does not mean that I ride a Honda Dream. Just might mean that I obey laws as part of the social contract, or have kids and want to do all to protect them within the limits of my chosen activities, or admit that I don't know it all and that societies might have a clue.

Edited by CMX

80kph...

Perhaps he is just wiser than most and will live well into his retirement eh. :)

TT ( Tis Thailand) My favorite near miss story was coming out of the bar after a few drinks. Darn near put me and PHANTOM 150 up an Elephants butt. At night no flashy light.

Thought it just might be time for few more drinks after that one.

Tony called never outride your equipment or your ability. This country does have a few odd things to dodge

If I think that speeding, as defined by Thai laws or the wisdom of the West in laws, is risky and wrong, as a danger to the public, that does not mean that I ride a Honda Dream.

Speeding is against the law in this country?! Who knew!? ;):rolleyes::whistling:

"Wisdom of the West".... that's a good one! :lol:

80kph...

Not retired, but I hope to live until I am. Ride a PCX, Phantom and a Shadow 750 (also have a car). Sorry if the term "interstate" confused you -- I'll use more simple terms next time. Lemme guess, when Valdezugar said "assume everybody else drives like an idiot", he was talking about you.............

Reminds me of a bloody accident on Sheik Zayed Road (where the average traffic speed was around a 100 kph) in Dubai years ago; a giant cable spool fell off a truck and hit the van following it. The van slams into a bus carrying laborers from work triggering a domino effect... it was one of the bloodiest accidents on that road with more than a hundred fatalities.

Then again, driving slow isn't always the appropriate thing to do... sometimes to drive faster is the safer choice...

Always drive within the limits of your abilities...

Edited by RED21

I think we are all on the same page really, we do not go out on the roads to be <deleted>, but to enjoy the ride, get somewhere and most importantly, get back home safely. Ride to survive, and if your cool at 80kph on the left,fair play to you.

I ride only for fun, got a car to go places with the Mrs, so I sure don't want to come unstuck being silly, so I ride safe..with the occasional, safe , blast.

No one , I am sure, underestimates the bizarreness of what we encounter on the roads here, be it bags of cement or pallets falling in front of you, or homicidal bus drivers, or elephants unlit backsides, hopefully we avoid them in time by using our personal techniques to survive ,

stay safe,

PP

80kph...

Not retired, but I hope to live until I am. Ride a PCX, Phantom and a Shadow 750 (also have a car). Sorry if the term "interstate" confused you -- I'll use more simple terms next time. Lemme guess, when Valdezugar said "assume everybody else drives like an idiot", he was talking about you.............

Tee Hee :giggle:

I made another friend on ThaiVisa! :partytime2:

Good luck going 80 on the "interstate".

Only a matter of time before a Fortuner takes you out going 140...

Happy Trails!

T

3295313-20svbth.jpg

Think being a retiree cruising Thailand 'interstates'(we know what he means) at 80km on a Phantom sounds great. I like throwing my little 400cc sporty around the country as quickly as I can. Truth is that I'll only beat the Phantom by 1 beer at the next stop. I accept that even with utmost vigilance most times faster means more dangerous. Sure we all take some risks and have had some luck at times. Rather get shot out of a cannon than squeezed out of tube. Happy to cruise 100-120 on the straights.

Each to their own.

Love Thailand.

OP had a close call as I've certainly had. Put him/herself in a risky situation - as I've done. They won't sit behind trucks (If that's what was happening) when avoidable in future I'd imagine. Maybe I'll keep it in mind a little more. Thanks for sharing the experience.

Anywhere, anytime.

Good reminders and advice above here. OP, of course, was hinting at it from the outset. Don't see why anyone's personal advice, come from their experience with their bikes should not be correct all the time for the one who has learned from experience. For that rider and those of similar experience and bikes, the notions are far more valid than those of an expert.

For the life of me, I cannot see why personal remarks should be introduced in what essentially is a thread about safety. If I think that speeding, as defined by Thai laws or the wisdom of the West in laws, is risky and wrong, as a danger to the public, that does not mean that I ride a Honda Dream. Just might mean that I obey laws as part of the social contract, or have kids and want to do all to protect them within the limits of my chosen activities, or admit that I don't know it all and that societies might have a clue.

Best post CMX.

Seems OP was sharing valuable experience for the benefit of TV's readers.

Interesting the black and white 'judgements' that came back.

Guess strong opinions and self-assumed expertise is part of the nature of forums.

Grey's a really cool colour I reckon.