Punpun

kilvingtono

Well, I've only been in town for 14 months, but I don't find this Pun Pun over pushed. There is a sort of comradery within in the food providers in town, it is true. We customers will join in from time to time. Not a little is tongue-in-cheek (indirect) fun. Also, advertisers not infrequently post specials and special events. Additionally, some of us food hounds can't keep quiet when we have something we find tasty. Others (ahem) appreciate cut-rate bargains, which have been plentiful this last year, not a few here.

Anyway, much of it is innocent fun or advertising - welcomed by the Th Vi people when it's related to advertising revenues and, ultimately, our being here. Personally, if I don't like a thread, I ignore it. For example, if you find my thinking negative, please ignore me! :( But I still think you should try the meat loaf dinner. Or the beef stew. Maybe the superman b'fast. But I've more to try.:D

Edited by CMX

Well, I've only been in town for 14 months, but I don't find this Pun Pun over pushed. There is a sort of comradery within in the food providers in town, it is true. We customers will join in from time to time. Not a little is tongue-in-cheek (indirect) fun. Also, advertisers not infrequently post specials and special events. Additionally, some of us food hounds can't keep quiet when we have something we find tasty. Others (ahem) appreciate cut-rate bargains, which have been plentiful this last year, not a few here.

Anyway, much of it is innocent fun or advertising - welcomed by the Th Vi people when it's related to advertising revenues and, ultimately, our being here. Personally, if I don't like a thread, I ignore it. For example, if you find my thinking negative, please ignore me! :( But I still think you should try the meat loaf dinner. Or the beef stew. Maybe the superman b'fast. But I've more to try.:D

How about the chicken fried steak??:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :licklips: :licklips:

... and their coffee ain't bad with that Superman b'fast!

I think Pun-Pun is being a bit over-pushed on this forum.

Don't ever tell Gonzo he's being over-pushed. He get's around pretty well on his own!

(if you've never been to Pun Pun Thaiphuket, which i suspect you haven't. the irony of your comment will be lost on you)

OK you got my interest. Care to expand on the superman breaakfast. My favorite meal.

Just the other day I ate at the PunPun for the first time. I had breakfast. It was everything I expected from what I read. I enjoyed it.

John and Pranee made me feel welcome, we talked a bit, I had a great breakfast then, I had a short walk down to the area near the river for a look.

A delicious and relaxing morning.

IMO there's no over posting, it's a good recommendation.

I do have one question Mr. John (I hope you read this). I saw a hammock set up in the area down by the river. After I have my next meal at the PunPun; if I saw that the hammock was unoccupied, would it be OK for me to occupy it for awhile? And that's a two part question... Would it be OK with you? And do you think it could hold me?

Best Wishes in the New Year!

I think Pun-Pun is being a bit over-pushed on this forum.

Sorry to hear that. But you are entitled to your opinion and it is accepted.

For the record, have you ever been to The Pun Pun ?

G

One doesn't have to go there to comment on the frequency of the place being mentioned on the forum. Just visiting the forum is enough to establish that. Over-pushed or not is a matter of opinion.

I visited the web site after reading the very enjoyable topic on the 25 year old business card. It looked fairly expensive, judging from the prices of the daily specials. (If it was more affordable then I'd probably want to visit the place. Say Mad Dog price level, ballpark.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Yes, I 've been to PunPun. I am glad you are all staying with your opinion plus that you allow me my own opinion too. There was nothing negative in my comment just my perception is it a bit overdone. No harm done, to the contrary my comment will keep this post alive longer and do even more good for PunPun.

Makes for a lively discourse

Sorry, that got mangled.

The handsome and charming proprietor insists on giving discounts to Thai Visa members who will admit it. :jap:

Tough decision, to get a discount, but have to admit to posting here, erm .. erm .. :whistling: Can I think about it, over lunch ? B)

Sorry, that got mangled.

The handsome and charming proprietor insists on giving discounts to Thai Visa members who will admit it. :jap:

Tough decision, to get a discount, but have to admit to posting here, erm .. erm ..

I don't think that you are one of those posters who needs to keep their real identity a secret. :D

I ate at Pun Pun a few weeks ago. Met the owner, very nice guy until he ran over my foot (pardon the pun). I wouldn't say my meal was great (pork knuckle) but I enjoyed it and would probably go back and try some of the other nightly specials. Very reasonable prices too.

Drove past Pun Pun for the first time yesterday.

Looked a decent place. (Loved the outside colour scheme)

I would like to try it, but where does one park a car, the forecourt did not look as if it had much room?

Gonzo?

Good morning TP

Do wish you would have stopped. Would have been really good to finally meet you/

While the front parking does look and is really small compared to some others, we do have a couple of early morning breakfast meetings weekly, and regularily get 4 - 5 cars in there. Most of our customers do come by moto or tuk tuk.

Some customers use the street parking and at the corner [ 100 metres] there is more parking along the street, with the exception of Saturday & Sunday when the flea market is open.... that does draw quite a following..... and like some of the other markets, it has expanded manyfold over the past couple years.

The front color has drawn some comment. I ordered the paint by the same number that I had previously used. I was told by the nice paint lady, that it was no longer made but this new one was very close. Well maybe its closer than purple. But it grows on you and people now say it does stand out :D

Do stop by and say hi, when you get the chance

Gonzo

Isn't there a valet service? Given the price level I would expect so.. :whistling:

I wasn't only being frivolous.. given the positive reviews I planned to take the family there, then went to the web site to check the exact location. Then I stumbled on the 'specials' menu, and their pricing. Then I thought.. WHOA.. that's not guesthouse pricing.. if the specials already cost 150-200 baht, then I am concerned about the regular food.. Maybe the issue is with the web site, but I'm reading correctly then meatloaf and some mashed potato costs 235 baht 6 days of the week:

meatloaf_350.jpg

So anyway I'll make the effort and come by some day soon. I have since heard on and off this forum that I was WAY out to lunch on this, and I should shut up and visit. So I will.

May have to wait until pay day though. ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Isn't there a valet service? Given the price level I would expect so.. :whistling:

I wasn't only being frivolous.. given the positive reviews I planned to take the family there, then went to the web site to check the exact location. Then I stumbled on the 'specials' menu, and their pricing. Then I thought.. WHOA.. that's not guesthouse pricing.. if the specials already cost 150-200 baht, then I am concerned about the regular food.. Maybe the issue is with the web site, but I'm reading correctly then meatloaf and some mashed potato costs 235 baht 6 days of the week:

meatloaf_350.jpg

So anyway I'll make the effort and come by some day soon. I have since heard on and off this forum that I was WAY out to lunch on this, and I should shut up and visit. So I will.

Could anyone either post the address and/or Google maps to this place? :)

Sure, it's on their site:

http://www.thepunpun.com/contact.shtml

(Google for some reason doesn't find the site easily, it appears only on page 4. I don't know why, I looked at the page source for obvious signs but didn't find any; it's got proper content, meta tags and everything. )

Something good came out of it though because I did find what looks like an excellent place for Chinese steamed buns! : http://punpunsalapao.multiply.com/

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

meatloaf_350.jpg

Could anyone either post the address and/or Google maps to this place? :)

As WTK points out it being on their site but here it is again 'cause I just went thru the effort of setting it up ...;)

post-114070-0-65459900-1294884737_thumb.

Edited by ThaiWx

Thanks for all the comments, help and effort guys.

Maybe the difficulty with google maps is the way it is input.

If you enter a search for "Google Maps Chiang Mai Pun Pun Guest House", the google map pops right up at the correct location

Thanks again :jap:

G

Edited by Gonzo the Face