Punpun

kilvingtono

I have only been there once last July for an evening meal and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Unfortunately it is a bit difficult to get there for lunch as I live 400km away which takes a while on me motorbike but I will be back again this year I hope and this time I may stay as well.

For value, try Marco's

They are not sponsors and don't go in for self-promotion

This is a thread about typical american food from looking at the photos ,the punpun about same as dukes.

This is not about fine dining!

It is silly to mix the Marco level in with american food eateries.

,Now must try the pun pun ,looks like down home usa food,the real deal,huge servings , plus great pricing it seems!

see how it compare it to the Dukes .

thank you TV for the great tips,keep them coming !!

Edited by yesterday

Just a quick question if I may.

Is there a specific entrance to PunPun. All of this food discussion got the appetite going so got on the moto and off I go around 1.30pm. Map is spot on, found it easy enough, good signage, just in from Rattana Kosin, river side....but when I got there the entrance seemed closed, drawn gates across the front and no body in sight.

Was the place closed? Only open in the evenings? Closed gate for security of guest house clients?, Is there another entrance? Do I just open the gates and drive through (which does not sit comfortably with me)?. Or was everybody eating at Maccas, some new Fish and Chip place, or my own "love that dare not speak its name", TRL.

Any tips on hours, insights entrances or entrance procedures....thankee

Just a quick question if I may.

Is there a specific entrance to PunPun. All of this food discussion got the appetite going so got on the moto and off I go around 1.30pm. Map is spot on, found it easy enough, good signage, just in from Rattana Kosin, river side....but when I got there the entrance seemed closed, drawn gates across the front and no body in sight.

Was the place closed? Only open in the evenings? Closed gate for security of guest house clients?, Is there another entrance? Do I just open the gates and drive through (which does not sit comfortably with me)?. Or was everybody eating at Maccas, some new Fish and Chip place, or my own "love that dare not speak its name", TRL.

Any tips on hours, insights entrances or entrance procedures....thankee

IT HAD TO HAPPEN!!

We are open every day by 7AM [most of the time a little earlier] and we close at 8PM or when the last of our dinner guests are gone. It is very rare that we have to close the gate for errands.

Today, the occasion arose where I had to go to city hall with Ms Gonzo, and was forced to close for a bit..... as it turned out due to the normal city hall type snafus, nothing got accomplished except the taking of a number to come back, and we were back to The Pun Pun in less than an hour.That had to be the hour that you came by.

My deepest apologies to you for your inconvenience.

If you will give us another try, I would like to apologize with a complimentary piece of our own exclusive Sweet Potato Pie..... and if I like you will even throw in the ice cream. :D

Again our apologies and please try us again. :jap:

Gonzo

Gonzo, many thanks for the quick replyly and there really is no need to apologise.

These things happen...mostly to me. Had a temporary leave pass from wifey, showered, shaved, clean jocks, (and other accoutrements) and off I went. Probably reflects my bad luck to rock up at exactly the wrong time, half an hour either side and would have made it no problems.

It was the closed gate that threw me....As am not a resident of guesthouse there was no way I would open and enter.

The map was crystal clear and very easy to find for me (as I live in Wat Ket).

Next leave pass will come down again for sure.

Hey Gonzo,

I must have been there at 1:30pm today too. Do I get a free piece of pie? ;-)

WTK, this isn't a Thai noodle stand with 25b dishes, but is a great value for the type of food served (American diner) and the quantity.

caf, interesting comparison to Chez Marco. Do they serve meatloaf and pigs knuckle? I don't remember seeing that on the menu. Last time I was there I spent nearly 1000baht for dinner for two and was still hungry. Chez Marco has excellent food, but not necessarily good value.

John, I'll be in to see you soon. Don't forget the pie.

Hey Gonzo,

I must have been there at 1:30pm today too. Do I get a free piece of pie? ;-)

WTK, this isn't a Thai noodle stand with 25b dishes, but is a great value for the type of food served (American diner) and the quantity.

caf, interesting comparison to Chez Marco. Do they serve meatloaf and pigs knuckle? I don't remember seeing that on the menu. Last time I was there I spent nearly 1000baht for dinner for two and was still hungry. Chez Marco has excellent food, but not necessarily good value.

John, I'll be in to see you soon. Don't forget the pie.

el, you don't mind if I call you your first namedo ya......I mean we know each other so well.....All I can say is now I know why the police were out front directing traffic when I returned.....I mean all thos people standing outside my nice black gate and quiet yellow wall were creating quite a traffic problem. But in checking the security tape, I couldn't see you. Was that you dancing up and down the street in the pink leotards????

Thanks for the kind words gang.....C Y'all soon...,come back real soon yaheah???

Gonzo

:intheclub: The front gate this afternno

1000 baht for 2 at Marco's ???

Depends what you had of course.

I made two points:

For what you get Marcos is good value. In other words value for money

And he does no self promotion. Presumably does not need to.

Although serving different dishes at different prices, it is perfectly appropriate and valid to compare eateries on a "what you get for your money" basis

Although serving different dishes at different prices, it is perfectly appropriate and valid to compare eateries on a "what you get for your money" basis

But it would be more apropriate to compare them in a topic of your own making rather than in one headed PunPun

For value, try Marco's

So promoting your own business is a character flaw these days. Good luck with that approach. Maybe Gonzo should take down his sign too, way too vain. Does Marcos have a sign? they probably don't, they are much more modest.

BTW most of the things said on TV about Pun Pun are from happy customers giving a positive review. Should Gonzo ask them to stop because it hurts his image?

I made two points:

CAF you really have a problem with sponsors on here don't you, first The Red Lion, Then the Old Bell, Now Pun Pun. Are you just a bitter twisted old man than hates the fact the some can earn a living over here while your struggling with a weakening pension or is there some other reason that you have to put down all the sponsors on here that help to keep the forum open and running?

I made two points:

CAF you really have a problem with sponsors on here don't you, first The Red Lion, Then the Old Bell, Now Pun Pun. Are you just a bitter twisted old man than hates the fact the some can earn a living over here while your struggling with a weakening pension or is there some other reason that you have to put down all the sponsors on here that help to keep the forum open and running?

....Sounds like a job for "Preparation H", to me :D

At least it looks like I am running in good circle with the greats.,,,, thank you one and all

Edited by Gonzo the Face

I made two points:

....Sounds like a job for "Preparation H", to me :D

At least it looks like I am running in good circle with the greats.,,,, thank you one and all

Keep passing out free Sweet Potato pie with ice cream and the "greats" will always be nearby. :whistling:

I made two points:

I don't have any problems with sponsors. I have eaten at some sponsors' places

I do have a problem with people like you that appear to be clairvoyant ( but hopeless at it) in making rapid assumptions about people's motives. And from your writing it seems you are the bitter old man having to resort to such flaming comments

I have no objection to people earning a living - heaven knows where you got that one from - whether marco's. gonzo, pedr, kevin

For everyone's benefit a wide range of eatery choices is surely to the good - sponsors and those who are not. Ever heard of a level playing field - probabaly not. Try to get the old grey matter working

For value, try Marco's

So promoting your own business is a character flaw these days. Good luck with that approach. Maybe Gonzo should take down his sign too, way too vain. Does Marcos have a sign? they probably don't, they are much more modest.

BTW most of the things said on TV about Pun Pun are from happy customers giving a positive review. Should Gonzo ask them to stop because it hurts his image?

No of course not. He has his way of promoting his business as do other restauranteurs. But constant opening of advertising threads is not always so positive, attracts the already converted clique anyway. Pedr promoted by commenting on other establishments as well as his own. Much more sophisticted

I came by too, if it means free Sweet Potato pie. I'm pretty sure that there were a bunch of other Thai Visa members that came around the same time. :D

Yeah, I saw you and the others hanging around there. Looked like a real angry (hungry?) bunch of guys, so I didn't stop. wink.gif

For value, try Marco's

No of course not. He has his way of promoting his business as do other restauranteurs. But constant opening of advertising threads is not always so positive, attracts the already converted clique anyway. Pedr promoted by commenting on other establishments as well as his own. Much more sophisticted

Thanks for the post caf. I am not saying that I agree with what you are saying, but I get sick to death of the brown nosers on here. Yes it is self promoting. Whether it is directly from the owner or some one that loves to tell you " I told you the food was good down there, listen to me I know everything about Chiang Mai". It's boring to read. Every person has there own opinion about different places and different foods, but due to TV rules only the positive ones can be openly expressed.

Sorry Gonzo, I am not targeting you at all and in no way your business, but I want to make a point.

Everywhere in the world, restaurants face good and bad Reviews.

Would any one like to share any bad reviews or experiences at the PunPun.

Oh... go on then!

Well, not exactly a bad review - more that the place wasn't quite what I had expected...

When I visited the food was fine and the service great, but the place wasn't quite what I expected. Being on the river I expected that we would be sat somewhere alongside the river, or at least in sight of it. This wasn't the case. I was a bit disappointed with where we ate, rather than what we ate.

Sorry Gonzo - your service was excellent. Why don't you take advantage of your riverside location? It seems a huge missed opportunity to me... :ermm:

For value, try Marco's

Thanks for the post caf. I am not saying that I agree with what you are saying, but I get sick to death of the brown nosers on here. Yes it is self promoting. Whether it is directly from the owner or some one that loves to tell you " I told you the food was good down there, listen to me I know everything about Chiang Mai". It's boring to read. Every person has there own opinion about different places and different foods, but due to TV rules only the positive ones can be openly expressed.

Sorry Gonzo, I am not targeting you at all and in no way your business, but I want to make a point.

Why are you and caf bothering to read a thread with the subject line of "Punpun" if you know what's going to be here and find it boring?

You're right, though. Most of us posting here are regulars and we'll keep posting. We're having fun.

There's nothing fancy about PunPun. Just good food, and lots of it. Have you tried it?

Why are you and caf bothering to read a thread with the subject line of "Punpun" if you know what's going to be here and find it boring?

You're right, though. Most of us posting here are regulars and we'll keep posting. We're having fun.

There's nothing fancy about PunPun. Just good food, and lots of it. Have you tried it?

Yes I have and no-one is knocking Pun Pun or Gonzo

Read the comments

"Self praise is no recommendation" and the brown nosing that goes with it says a lot about some posters